PDA

View Full Version : Mac Vs PC (and a lesser case for Linux and BSD)

Assertn
Tue, 07-03-2007, 12:23 AM
The posts below are content removed from another thread. Before things got to a boiling point I decided to make a new thread with these posts. Please discuss this one. Topic should tell you what this is about. - DF

Since you aren't good with computers I'm assuming you use Windows.

Oh Snap! Score one point for the MACies

?igma
Tue, 07-03-2007, 04:42 AM
Since you aren't good with computers I'm assuming you use Windows.

I just had to really laugh very loud :P Linux is (near)dead, MAC has a 10% marketshare and most games that get ported to MAC(and not designed for) have less quality than the original.

MAC is like..the rednecks PC. Where Windows is EVE, MAC is WoW.

Sure, you're probably one of those fanboi's that totally hates Microsoft for being the most evil company in the world. And obviously you on your own could make a better OS than Microsoft can, but that's simply not the case for a _lot_ of Companies. Companies base their products on Windows. That's all that matters. As soon as the world collectively looks down on Microsoft, you can start doing the same. Untill then, you're on the wrong side of the table..an anomaly.

Assertn
Tue, 07-03-2007, 10:48 AM
MAC is like..the rednecks PC. Where Windows is EVE, MAC is WoW.
Interesting you'd say that, considering that, you know, most people who own anything Apple are about as far away from redneck as they come. You could almost say it's in style to own a Mac.

Any reason you'd come to your conclusion, or are your replies just completely baseless?

Deadfire
Tue, 07-03-2007, 11:45 AM
If we are going to start a war about Mac vs PC make a new topic gentlemen.

In fact I'll do it for you.

SK
Tue, 07-03-2007, 12:29 PM
Mac.
End of line.

Sandldan
Tue, 07-03-2007, 12:59 PM
I just had to really laugh very loud :P Linux is (near)dead.

I just had to really laugh very loud :P Linux is far from dead

It's been spreading alot, atleast around where i live. As good as all schools here have switched to Linux i can tell you that from first hand experience. Keep hearing similiar things around the internet but that's the internet.

Been running Linux alongside with Windows for quite some time now, even been considering to completely switch to Linux when i buy a new computer. A big part of my computer usage is for gaming, so far i've been able to run every single game i've wanted to in Linux. WoW even ran with around 10 fps more in linux.

There's many user friendly distributions out, where it's easy to do all the basic stuff. But then if you want to play games or something a bit more advanced it might become a bit tricky for many people. Im no genius when it comes to computers but i've still managed to do everything i've wanted out of my computer in Linux. Yeah it takes some extra time to do so but i get a nice feeling of accomplishment after : )

XGL/Beryl (http://youtube.com/watch?v=h3Y6F1dSR8A) (A 3D desktop effect for linux)
The computer in the video has this config: PII-450 mHz
128 Mb Ram
GeForce MX440 32 Mb RAM
Try to do the same with Vista aero on that machine.

complich8
Tue, 07-03-2007, 01:03 PM
(randomly sprayed venom)
... just wow.

You're so wrong in so many ways that I don't even know where to begin.

So I'll just say this. Yuki was putting forward the idea that if you're the sort of user (in the pejorative sense) who doesn't realize that the solution to your problem is social instead of technical, it's a safe bet that you run windows, where if you weren't a computer idiot, your OS choice would be up in the air -- could still be windows, could be OS-X, could be Linux. It's probably also a safe bet that you either have a Dell, or a pc you bought at best buy (or another big-box retailer) -- ie: that you probably didn't build your own.

That's not saying "everyone who runs windows is an idiot". Just "everyone who is sucks and has a cheap beigebox pc runs windows"... which is a pretty fair assertion in the average case. Most people run windows. There's a demographic that exclusively runs windows. You belong to that demographic. There's also a demographic that doesn't exclusively run windows, in which someone more technically competent would fit.

Yukimura
Tue, 07-03-2007, 03:00 PM
Just wanted to throw in my own explanation of my actions (even though comp is pretty much right but with extra spite seemingly attributed to me).

I didn't mean to touch off the powder keg that is mac vs windows, but I based my comment on the idea that there were more personal use windows PCs than any other type of personal computer at the moment (to my knowledge) and I decided to play the odds and explain the windows solution to his problem.

Also I equate windows with minimal effort personal use computing. If you want to pull something out of a box and not read any instructions and be listening to music and surfing the internet I think that windows PC's have an edge simply because the names Internet Explorer and Media Player are more obvious than Safari and iTunes/Quicktime.

As to this debate, it doesn't have to be a debate at all. Macs are better for people who like macs, and PC's are better for people that like PC's. If you're really clever you'll notice that the previous sentance states the obvious. That's the point. If you like mac then what do you care about windows users habits? If you like windows, what do you care about mac users habits?

Board of Command
Tue, 07-03-2007, 03:24 PM
Quicktime? Eww man, I don't want to hear that from you.

masamuneehs
Tue, 07-03-2007, 03:37 PM
I don't know much about this...

I just despise those Mac vs. PC commercials...
and let's try tokeep it civil here

Assassin
Tue, 07-03-2007, 04:52 PM
http://blogs.netindonesia.net/images/blogs_netindonesia_net/dede/1111/o_shutup.jpg

Also:

http://blog.wired.com/cultofmac/2007/03/novell_launches.html

some mac vs pc spoofs that include linux

Y
Tue, 07-03-2007, 06:04 PM
I'm pretty gay, but even I'm not queer enough to own a Mac.

masamuneehs
Tue, 07-03-2007, 07:00 PM
http://www.duelinganalogs.com/comics/2007-04-02.png

XanBcoo
Tue, 07-03-2007, 07:53 PM
Oh God Masa, be careful posting stuff like that. My head can only take so many levels of parody.

Edit: Damn, I also had a link from Digg a while back with about 6 videos of fake Mac commercials. They were pretty hilarious.

Assertn
Tue, 07-03-2007, 08:39 PM
Hey MAC users check this out:
http://www.delicious-monster.com/

so dope....

UChessmaster
Wed, 07-04-2007, 09:26 PM
To be honest i never tried a mac... but... i know how to turn on a pc at least >_>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Tq7yykR-DM

Assertn
Thu, 07-05-2007, 11:40 AM
It's all about the expose, UChessmaster