PDA

View Full Version : Game: Super Smash Brothers Brawl

Pages : [1] 2

XanBcoo
Tue, 05-22-2007, 01:15 PM
Last night the official site for SSBB went up: http://www.smashbros.com/

A lot of people were expecting information about new characters, stages, or a new trailer with the opening of the site, but sadly none of those expectations were met. Not a lot was revealed, but Masahiro Sakurai did put up a list of the composers who would be working on the game: http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/music/music01.html

That in itself opens up a lot of room for speculation. If a composer (like Yoko Shimomura from Kingdom Hearts) is adding his music to the game, then there's a chance that characters from that game will be featured in Brawl. I'm not putting too much hope in that list, because these composers might just be working on their own rehashes of classic Nintendo music, but with so many new composers, it does mean there's at least a chance, and it's the only new news we have right now. There's also a sample of the new Menu music, which sounds pretty good.

Anyway, after the release of this game (sometime in 2007) hopefully we can get all the Wii friend codes up here for those who have it. I'm really looking forward to some GotWoot Brawl tournaments.

EDIT: Updates

Wii codes added so far:

XanBcoo - 2187 9383 9478 3722
(cmdr) Raven - 8864 1524 2978 0750
Nests - 1757 0132 8657 1690
Knives - 1946 0281 1987 1144
LaZie - 6482 6960 0909 6978
NarutoMaster - 5110 5119 4009 5539
Assertnfailure (NEW) - 6368 3519 3361 4786

Brawl Friend Codes:

Assertn - 3093 6765 4325
Knives122 - 0860 2913 6600
toonice714 - 4210 3702 5964
UChessmaster - 3007 7396 5417

Carnage
Tue, 05-22-2007, 02:16 PM
Im definatly going to be in on this "Gotwoot Brawl"

This is going to be the greatest game ever. Well....it better be.

Raven
Tue, 05-22-2007, 08:26 PM
Count me in! This is gonna be great. Well, I hope so.

I saw the site as soon as it was launched and I have to say... underwhelming.

Kitsune
Tue, 05-22-2007, 08:37 PM
Does anyone know who's definitely gonna be in it so far?
Link, Kirby, Metaknight, Mario, Wario, Fox, Snake, Pit, Sonic(?)

who am i missing?

darkmetal505
Tue, 05-22-2007, 08:52 PM
Add on Pikachu and Zero-Suit Samus. I don't think Sonic has been confirmed.

I'm up for GotWoot tourneys.

Kitsune
Tue, 05-22-2007, 09:21 PM
how about normal samus are zero suit and normal samus two diff. characters or just diff. costumes

eat_toast
Tue, 05-22-2007, 10:21 PM
Actually there's been no official announcement as to that, but in a few of the videos it shows Samus using a superpowered beam and transforming into Zero-suit Samus. So it's possible you'll be able to play as both. I''m really, really hoping they are two different characters, as I main Samus pretty seriously and would hate to let her go for Brawl. But I'm still psyched about Zero-suit Samus.

kooshi
Tue, 05-22-2007, 11:19 PM
I remember seeing the trailer for this game a long time ago and it blew my socks off, haha. As much as I enjoyed seeing that Zero Suit Samus and Snake are going to be in the game, my favorite new appearance has to go to Metaknight. I dunno why, but that character just defines "cool" in the cartoon world for me, haha.

XanBcoo
Wed, 05-23-2007, 01:58 PM
my favorite new appearance has to go to Metaknight. I dunno why, but that character just defines "cool" in the cartoon world for me, haha.
Me too! There's something about MetaKnight that I really love, and watching the gameplay, it seems he fights like a faster version of Kirby, which is great since I rely on faster characters.

Does anyone know who's definitely gonna be in it so far?
Link, Kirby, Metaknight, Mario, Wario, Fox, Snake, Pit, Sonic(?)
Like I said, that list of composers is pretty telling. If Sonic were in the game, you'd think that some composer from a Sonic game would be working on Brawl. Y'know...so Sonic could have his own music. There's no Sonic composer on that list, which doesn't completely rule him out of being in the game, it just makes it way more likely.

I hope Sheik makes it into Brawl too. If he doesn't, though, I think I might take to using Pit from the looks of it.

Kitsune
Wed, 05-23-2007, 09:16 PM
Just reading up on this on wiki and it says "An article in the first issue of a Swedish Nintendo Magazine named +N makes a report that the known confirmed characters will be in Brawl, along with Sonic the Hedgehog as a playable character,though the magazine's credibility is questioned"

Assertn
Wed, 05-23-2007, 09:59 PM
Tomoko Sasaki (TOKIOHEIDI) NiGHTS

....o_O!???

Winged Dancer
Wed, 05-23-2007, 10:20 PM
That's just the composer, and he has worked on many other games... that list is strange. For instace, Motoi Sakurai, whose work on Xenosaga and Baten Kaitos is awesome, is listed as "Golden Sun and Mario Golf."

Those are good games, but when it comes to music, who cares about Mario Golf? How can them ignore Baten Kaitos' magnificient orchestrated soundtrack, and Xenosaga's, too?
(if you haven't heard BK's OST... eh.... I'll upload a song for you later).

And actually, Power suit Samus has been confirmed - in the old site (before relaunching) in her character page, it said something like "Don't worry, you'll still be able to fight with Power suit Samus, but in some events Samus will strip her suit"

Perhaps it'll be a character like Princess Zelda in the old SSB:M, where she could transform into Sheik and back to Zelda. It'd be pretty cool, since I love double-characters.

I'm all for the Gotwoot Brawl. I'll get my ass kicked, 'cause I suck, but it'll be pretty great at any rate!

Assertn
Wed, 05-23-2007, 11:53 PM
I'm all for the Gotwoot Brawl. I'll get my ass kicked, 'cause I suck, but it'll be pretty great at any rate!
I'll probably own everyone.

XanBcoo
Thu, 05-24-2007, 12:00 AM
Can't speak for anyone else, but I'll at least be some competition :p. Watch yourself.

...Bah, trashtalk is making me anticipate this game too much. I wish they'd come out with a release date already.

Perhaps it'll be a character like Princess Zelda in the old SSB:M, where she could transform into Sheik and back to Zelda. It'd be pretty cool, since I love double-characters.
That seems like it'd work out pretty well. It could possibly also have something to do with items or powerups?? I know they have the new Super Smash Attacks now, which are apparently activated with a powerup, so it could be similar to that.

And looking back over the composer list, it's looking like this is gonna be pretty much the best game soundtrack ever, amirite guyz?

NM
Thu, 05-24-2007, 01:21 AM
Bring on the GotWoot Brawl!! And with that list of composers, I'd have to agree with you there Xan. Oh, and it looks like they'll be updating the site with 2 new characters each day. Mario and Link are up there right now.

/me prays for Sonic. He's going to be in the Olympic Games with Mario, so why not place him with the rest of the Smash roster?

Knives122
Thu, 05-24-2007, 11:33 AM

Oh assertn, so full of arrogance. You won't have that anymore when you're constantly losing.

XanBcoo
Thu, 05-24-2007, 02:05 PM
New update today:

They've added the item "Gooey Bomb", which seems to act like the Plasma Grenade in Halo, only you can get it off you and put it on someone else once you've been stuck.

Winged Dancer
Fri, 05-25-2007, 07:53 AM
Only Pit today. Not exactly dissapointe, but I was hoping for two characters, as the first update.

Pit looks like the kind of character I'll end up using - nimble and not-so-strong but able to connect lots of hits and run the hell away before being hit back.

'Sides, the idea of a bow that transforms into two knives is just too pretty.

But then again, after seeing Link's special attack (back in the trailer), the Triforce Cut might just be too much for my fangirl brain to resist....

darkshadow
Fri, 05-25-2007, 11:09 AM
im just hoping for mewto to be back, yes i was teh shits with mewto.
and omg mr. game and watch, he needs to be back in.

Carnage
Fri, 05-25-2007, 03:32 PM
My best two characters were mewtwo and young link. But Im not so sure they're going to keep young link :(

darkmetal505
Fri, 05-25-2007, 04:42 PM
The trajectory of Pit's arrows can be controlled. That seems to be like Ness's PK Thunder. I wonder how much knockback power it will have. His arrow might be the new shine spike.

XanBcoo
Fri, 05-25-2007, 10:51 PM
My best two characters were mewtwo and young link. But Im not so sure they're going to keep young link :(
I recall there being talk of them including Baby Bowser and the Link from Windwaker. I guess that kinda counts as "Young Link".

The trajectory of Pit's arrows can be controlled. That seems to be like Ness's PK Thunder. I wonder how much knockback power it will have.
I imagined it being like Link's arrows, controlled by the amount of time you hold down B for. I've never played Kid Icarus though, so I don't know if Pit could actually "control" his arrows or not.

His arrow might be the new shine spike.
How do you figure? :confused:

darkmetal505
Sat, 05-26-2007, 02:18 PM
Depending on the knockback power and/or blockstun it could be effectively used to prevent characters returning to the stage, but that would be super broken :p. I dunno, I guess I'm really excited.

Ryllharu
Sun, 05-27-2007, 10:56 PM
I imagine they'd work more like Zelda's attack in Melee than Ness's PK bursts. Her small fireball moved on a very definite forward path, but you could control it to a limited extent. Pit is shooting arrows after all. You couldn't control much of anything in Kid Icarus, it was a NES title. This is the first time Pit has ever reappeared.

I hope Zelda is still in the game. I never liked the Shiek side much, but Zelda had some very useful attacks if you got the timing and aiming (of the little fireball) just right.

XanBcoo
Sun, 05-27-2007, 11:32 PM
I hope Zelda is still in the game. I never liked the Shiek side much, but Zelda had some very useful attacks if you got the timing and aiming (of the little fireball) just right.
I sleep easy at night when people call me a "tier whore" for using Sheik, because 75% of the time, I can beat them using Zelda too. Her areal back-kick is fucking deadly. I just practice SHFFLing with that move because of how useful it is. So yeah, I really hope they keep Zelda.

I don't see why they wouldn't keep any previous characters though. There's going to be around 40 in total, so I assume all of the old guys are gonna still be there.

Winged Dancer
Mon, 05-28-2007, 10:32 AM
I liked Sheik a lot. Fast and nimble, you can attack multiple times and get the hell out before they counter-attack - he (she?) specially works against slow, heavy opponents such as Bowser and DK. You pile the damage and once its high, transform into Zelda and lay some heavy magic-love. As Xan said, her back-kick is deadly, and her charged magic attacks? Wow!

Yes, we need Zelda! But maybe we'll get the Zelda from Twilight Princess instead, so she'll have uh, a sword, magic arrows, and the ability to... the ability to spoil the ending for Twilight Princess! Yes!

Man, my brother hated me SO much when we got the game, he just couldn't beat me. Then we unlocked Marth, and for some reason he was really good with him.

Anywho, we got some of Pit's moves today. His arrows look pretty!! *fangirl* And I figure his wings will serve like Kirby's floating ability... not a lot, but still a whole good. I'm really interested in this character.

Assertn
Mon, 05-28-2007, 11:32 AM
Sheik was totally broke.
Any person who was a noob at melee magically became a pro as soon as they picked zelda and started the game with down+B

XanBcoo
Mon, 05-28-2007, 12:45 PM
Sheik was totally broke.
Any person who was a noob at melee magically became a pro as soon as they picked zelda and started the game with down+B
Not true at all. Before I learned some of the advanced techniques in Melee, I quickly learned that Skill >>>> Tier.

But that's not to say some characters don't clearly have advantages. That's why most tournament players usually choose Fox, Marth, Sheik, or Peach if they play seriously.

Anyway, it looks like Ryllharu was right. Pit's arrows are gonna work like Zelda's fireball. Cool.

Ryllharu
Mon, 05-28-2007, 12:56 PM
Sheik wasn't broke. I was terrible with Sheik, but loved Zelda. Sheik had a tendency to be a little too floaty in the lateral movement. I often used a kick and found myself off the edge a lot. Stopped using her and went straight to pure-Zelda power moves and mid-air up+A huge fireballs.

Peach was the only really cheap character. Her down+A twirly-spin attack could be executed up to 5 times in a row because there was no downtime after the attack, and it never knocked opponents back. If you careless wade in to a good opponent using her, you could leave a 10 second melee with 70%+ damage from 0%.

I hope Zelda looks like the TP model.

darkmetal505
Mon, 05-28-2007, 03:44 PM
Sheik just needs d-thorw and fair to win against most characters. You didn't even need to press down B to change, you could hold A when the level was loading and you would start off as Sheik.

Most people have a tendency to crouch cancel in order to counter attack. That's why Peach's d smash works wonders, especially against fast fallers.

My main concern is how the developers reacted to the unseen change in gameplay speed. I doubt they ever saw the game being taken that far. That being said, it'll be hard for most to transition back down to the normal gameplay speed.

Carnage
Mon, 05-28-2007, 09:04 PM
They have to do something to Fox's shield (down B). Only very few attacks can break it, and Im not sure if it gives out over time.

Winged Dancer
Mon, 05-28-2007, 09:58 PM
Man, I remember when I first heard of this game... it was from a local Nintendo magazine I used to buy every month, Club Nintendo, mexican version.

They had this small photo of the Kirby stage, I'm pretty sure, and they commented on "this new Japanese fighting game that features NIntendo characters only. You wanted to know whether Link could beat Mario? This game is your answer! But sadly, it's not very likely we'll ever see it in this side of the world."

The Nintendo 64 version hit a few months later and it was a surprise hit for the last year or two of the system. Then the GameCube version made it all so much better... and now we have the Wii.

I seriously can't think of any other game that has grown so fast. Super Smash Brothers has just two games so far, and yet it's one of the most loved games ever, not only by the public but by the developers as well.

eat_toast
Mon, 05-28-2007, 10:46 PM
They have to do something to Fox's shield (down B). Only very few attacks can break it, and Im not sure if it gives out over time.

Well most to all of attacks can break it but no projectiles can, far as I can think of. Also, it lasts forever if held and not attacked (That's what makes the black hole glitch work!). I think it's fine as is, it is an important albeit annoying part of any good Fox's arsenal, offense or defense.

And since I spar with a guy who mains Fox, I just got used to snorting my own charge-b's/missiles/turnips/bob-ombs and moved on to being more creative with the timing.

darkmetal505
Mon, 05-28-2007, 10:54 PM
Fox's shine is most used for it's knock back potential. I believe it takes 2 frames to come out making it one of the fastest, if not the fastest, attack in the game. Unlike Falco's, which knocks the opponent to the air for combos, Fox's shine sends the opponent sideways allowing for shine spiking, pillar combos, and infinites. They will probably do something about that.

Assertn
Tue, 05-29-2007, 12:43 AM
darkmetal505 = wave dasher (ie. omg wall haxor)

I'll make a mental note of not playing against you if they keep those exploits for the wii version.

NM
Tue, 05-29-2007, 01:22 AM
Maybe it's too early to start but I thought maybe we can start getting more Wii Friend Codes on this thread since its the most popular right now. Here are the Friend Codes from Assertn's old thread:

XanBcoo - 2187 9383 9478 3722
(cmdr) Raven - 8864 1524 2978 0750
Nests - 1757 0132 8657 1690
Knives - 1946 0281 1987 1144
LaZie - 6482 6960 0909 6978
NarutoMaster - 5110 5119 4009 5539
Assertnfailure (NEW) - 6368 3519 3361 4786

Xan, maybe you should post these in your first post so its easier to find them?

XanBcoo
Tue, 05-29-2007, 04:07 AM
Maybe it's too early to start but I thought maybe we can start getting more Wii Friend Codes on this thread since its the most popular right now.

Xan, maybe you should post these in your first post so its easier to find them?
Yeah, I was gonna wait until the game actually came out before I added them, but I guess I can do it now too.

Though I'm a little wary, because I've heard that for the Wii's online games, the friend codes required to play with other people online are actually different from the Wii codes we've already collected. Whatever, I'll just put them up now and change them later if needed.

And yeah, I wonder if Wave Dashing will make it into Brawl, or if the developers decided to take it out. I do think it adds a lot of depth to the fighting.

Assertn
Tue, 05-29-2007, 11:04 AM
And yeah, I wonder if Wave Dashing will make it into Brawl, or if the developers decided to take it out. I do think it adds a lot of depth to the fighting.

No, it creates a barrier between the two groups of hardcore fans:

The kind that strengthen their skill through experience and naturally adapt their techniques to counter their friends' who are doing the same....

...and the kind that strengthen their skill through sitting in their boxers at home and waste countless hours into midair dodging into the ground and simply mimic exploits that other people have discovered.

I love the game...I've spent like, the first 3 years of its release playing against friends practically every other day....but I prefer to beat them through personal skill, rather than through devotion of more free-time.

darkmetal505
Tue, 05-29-2007, 03:45 PM
Just because I wavedash doesn't mean it's unbeatable. I get my ass handed to me everytime I play my friend's Samus simply because of the fact that he reads my mind like a book. Assertn, it's natural for gamers to look for exploits in the game. Look at all the fighting games with infinites and unorthodox techniques that were found by the players and probably not intended by the company. All wavedashing does is increase speed and it is definitely beatable. If you beat people through personal skill, then you should have no problem with wavedashers. The MAIN thing one had to do in Melee was L-cancel, which was not an "exploit" and was also in the original game.

Assertn
Tue, 05-29-2007, 04:00 PM
I don't get where you suggest its "natural" for a gamer to go google for exploits to fighting games...I've never had a friend that did that. Conversely, doing that would give me an unfair advantage, which results in my friends not wanting to play against me anymore.

Can't say that I'd blame them though.

There's nothing wrong with L-cancels, btw :P

darkmetal505
Tue, 05-29-2007, 04:12 PM
I don't mean people intentionally search for exploits online, but rather they experiment with the game and stumble upon some groundbreaking moves/techniques/combos. I was to lazy to figure out how to get around those crazy combos so I watched the pro videos for strategies I could emulate. Hell, I had no idea of L-cancelling or directional influence before I was introduced to the "advanced techniques." Wavedashing was just a bonus.

eat_toast
Tue, 05-29-2007, 05:48 PM
I had a acquaintance of mine bring up this very question a few weeks ago, after I handed his ass to him on a plate in a 1-vs-1. He claimed that my use of the move was a glitch that was unfair and that I shouldn't have used it because he didn't know it. I said that anyone who uses the move isn't any better than anyone else inherently, you get no advantage just because you can wavedash. Case-in-point, another friend of mine who cannot wavedash, try as he may, happened to overhear and challenged me. I lost, though it was close. Was the wavedashing the deciding factor in the match?

While to be sure wavedashing allows more complicated moves to be performed in sequence, as well as facilitates movement on the field, the key word is complicated. You already have to have a modicum of skill and finger speed to accomplish these things, in order to see anything come of it. You won't be seeing someone who just discovered wallteching zooming around with any sort of efficiency. If anything, they'll be the more punishable for it.

I don't know if the developers will keep wavedashing in the next game, though as a product of the physics enjine, I don't know how they can take it out and keep airdodging the same. Personally though, I don't care. While I use it, and will keep on using it, the best part of these games, at least for me, has been developing my own playing style, moveset, etc. I don't own the game, I don't own a gamecube, I play mostly weekends. So for someone to need to donate all of their time to the game, is not necessary, though it follows that they would be better than someone who does not.

On-topic edit: Final Smash item has been revealed, and the move it unlocks can only be used once..... hmmm. Looks like another reason to yell "Finish Him!" :D

Assertn
Tue, 05-29-2007, 10:58 PM
Lols *obviously* every person who defends wave dashing in this thread are the very people i previously stereotyped. You say its ok to experiment and find glitches in the game, and somehow that transfers over to it being ok to look up hacks that obsessive koreans spent many jobless hours developing?

Justify it all you want, but my perspective is no different than the perspective of anyone else in my situation. It's lame. It's not fun. It's not worth my time. Even if I have no problem beating a wave dasher, I still wouldn't play them as a matter of principle.

Removing wave dashing and keeping air dodging isn't hard. All you have to do is remove the effect of sliding upon contact with the floor :P

bagandscalpel
Wed, 05-30-2007, 01:00 AM
Lols *obviously* every person who defends wave dashing in this thread are the very people i previously stereotyped. You say its ok to experiment and find glitches in the game, and somehow that transfers over to it being ok to look up hacks that obsessive koreans spent many jobless hours developing?

Justify it all you want, but my perspective is no different than the perspective of anyone else in my situation. It's lame. It's not fun. It's not worth my time. Even if I have no problem beating a wave dasher, I still wouldn't play them as a matter of principle.

Removing wave dashing and keeping air dodging isn't hard. All you have to do is remove the effect of sliding upon contact with the floor :P
As long as I can remember, exploiting every possible trick in a fighting game was a key tactic to win. While I have no qualms against your decision to deny a game of Smash with a "wavedasher," I still can't agree with why you think so poorly about the game's unintentionalities.

Granted, as far as Smash is concerned, nobody would've considered it a fighting game with any depth had it not been for those player-discovered techniques. Well, as long as it's not game-breaking, I think they ought to retain the exploits to keep tournament-goers happy.

darkmetal505
Wed, 05-30-2007, 04:37 PM

Agree with Scalpel. If it isn't groundbreaking then there shouldn't be a problem with it, unless you are just blatantly biased. I don't see how one move, wavedashing, makes smash "lame" or "not fun." Super Smash Brothers Melee is fun no matter what unless you are getting your ass kicked and have no chance against the opponent, in which case it is indeed frustrating. Your "principle" seems to be, and correct me if I'm wrong otherwise, people who put in so many "jobless hours" figuring out new strategies through exploits and people who use them are not worth playing because it makes gameplay unoriginal, which you find dull and boring to play against.

There are a huge number of games that you probably play where everyone plays the same way and where everyone uses exploits. Take Starcraft for example. Mutalisk grouping, which I believe was unintended, is almost staple play for any Zerg trying to harass. Would you deny a game against a Zerg player who uses such techniques because it is "lame"?

Sorry to everyone for getting off topic.

On topic:

Smash Dojo has really delivered with promises of enhanced aerial combat. Apparently you can "move and shoot" with any rapid-fire item. This includes forwards, backwards, and jumping. Intense.

Now everyone can be a laser spammer.

Assertn
Wed, 05-30-2007, 07:44 PM
Ah and yet, the simple principles of wave dashing form the fundamentals of so many other moves that you cannot perform without it. It basically isolates you from other people who choose not to learn it in the first place.

Granted, as far as Smash is concerned, nobody would've considered it a fighting game with any depth had it not been for those player-discovered techniques.

Are you proposing that without wave dashing, there'd be no depth to smash bros? :confused:

@darkmetal: No. If you're talking about equivalent exploits for Starcraft, you'd have to talk about the trick to shift a command center such that it's physically touching the mineral fields, whereas protoss and zerg could only place their base within a certain radial distance from. Sure it was never intentional, and its a pain in the ass to master, but it does give a huge tactical advantage...so its ok right?

The nice thing about starcraft is that developers still have the opportunity to tweak unfair advantages through the release of future patches....but I'm not really familiar with this mutalisk trick you speak of.

@anon-neg-repper: Yes, nobody but jobless koreans would bother to discover wave dashing, or the number of frames it takes pikachu to physically grab someone, or w/e.

bagandscalpel
Wed, 05-30-2007, 08:59 PM
Are you proposing that without wave dashing, there'd be no depth to smash bros? :confused:
Excuse me, in retrospect, that statement is completely different than what I had intended it to sound. I'm not saying there'd be lack of depth without wavedashing and the like, but rather, there'd be lack of further content outside of techniques that are officially listed as being intentional in the game.

Assertn
Wed, 05-30-2007, 10:08 PM
But the techniques that are officially listed as intentional in the game already allow for much more strategy than you'd ever need. Broke glitch techniques unfortunately make many of these utterly obsolete.

darkmetal505
Wed, 05-30-2007, 10:28 PM
But the techniques that are officially listed as intentional in the game already allow for much more strategy than you'd ever need. Broke glitch techniques unfortunately make many of these utterly obsolete.

I have to agree with you on that. Rolling is almost useless compared to wavelanding or wavedashing. However, I don't think they make the game broke. The advance techniques are a result of one-upsmanship, fair or non-fair. It is really hard not to use advantageous abilities against the opponent when you have them in your arsenal.

Well, if they do keep wavedashing in Brawl, it means the developers do not disapprove of it although it may not show up in the instructions. They did that with L-cancelling from Smash 64 to Melee, although they did increase lag time.

The people who figure out frame rates and such may have no life, but you have to agree that it adds a scientific/statistical value to the game.

bagandscalpel
Thu, 05-31-2007, 02:42 PM
Well, in the end, it still comes down to the old argument of whether you wish to play casually or competively, I suppose. Seeing as there is no perfect human, there will always be holes in programming, be they harmless or gamebreaking. On the same token, at least you'll never encounter a player with perfect execution, which pretty much beats out all other arguments to what constitutes a "fair game."

6Zabuza9
Thu, 05-31-2007, 06:49 PM
well, im not really good at wave dashing but i say that if they do keep wave dashing, they should make it so its more even because some chars can wave dash like crazy while other cant wavedash as good like samus's bomb wave dash which flies you half way across the map making it like impossible for ppl to touch you

and if they do keep wave dashing they should make it like an official move where the game actually teaches you how to do it rather than being a glitch of some sort

Winged Dancer
Thu, 05-31-2007, 06:55 PM
See? This is why you're going to kick my ass at SB. I don't even know what wavedashing is, or maybe I do know but I'm pretty sure I don't do it.

Anybody care to explain this casual gamer just what that is? Perhaps I can practice then and get better or something.

NM
Thu, 05-31-2007, 08:01 PM
See? This is why you're going to kick my ass at SB. I don't even know what wavedashing is, or maybe I do know but I'm pretty sure I don't do it.

Anybody care to explain this casual gamer just what that is? Perhaps I can practice then and get better or something.

I never played the Gamecube version so...I guess I could go for the explanation as well.

/me feels like a noob

eat_toast
Thu, 05-31-2007, 08:10 PM
Wavedashing is a product of the physics engine of the game, and all characters (excepting Peach, but there could be more that I don't play) can perform. Some are easier to perform and some go father than others, all depends on the character's traction and the fighting platform. For example, areas like the spaceship on fourside will allow for a super long wavedash for everyone, due to low traction.

Anyhow, what you have to do is practice this sequence: jumping, and then immediately diagonally airdodging into the ground. My best adivse is to go into training mode and practice for awhile. At first I rolled alot, that just means you are shielding before you are jumping. When you are beginning it could be better for you to be falling, then practice airdodging into the ground, instead of focusing on jumping then immediately airdodging. There are some good videos for this floating around that could probably explain better than I.

Someone mentioned bomb-wavedashing? I think what you mean is the Super-wavedash, which I will concede is a completely broken technique, but as it's so hard to pull off it doesn't matter. That involves intense muscle-memory, but regular wavedashing is fairly easy to learn. Took me maybe half an hour to get down with Samus, then I went on to Fox, Marth, etc.

darkmetal505
Thu, 05-31-2007, 11:20 PM
Winged Dancer, I suggest you visit www.smashboards.com and watch some of the videos. I can suggest certain videos if you have a character in mind.

You're eyes will open up to a whole new level of competitive smash gameplay.

I also suggest you take a look at these:

Advanced How To Play (SSBM) Part 1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4n4s5yB7ZkE)
Advanced How To Play (SSBM) Part 2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiZLs2doK8E)
Advanced How To Play (SSBM) Part 3 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFmGIOcWdsM)

Assertn
Fri, 06-01-2007, 11:17 AM
Well, in the end, it still comes down to the old argument of whether you wish to play casually or competively, I suppose.
Yes well, I'm very competitive with smash bros.

It all comes down to if you wish to devote the extra effort to train yourself moves that other people discovered, to further isolate yourself from the comparative skill of your friends. :P

Ryllharu
Fri, 06-01-2007, 11:20 AM
It all comes down to if you wish to devote the extra effort to train yourself moves that other people discovered, to further isolate yourself from the comparative skill of your friends. :P
Until your friends who play casually get fed up with not having a chance, and stop playing altogether. I never owned a gamecube, so I just stopped playing with the ones who'd start pulling moves like that.

Now one of my friends has no one to play with. Smash was designed to be a casual fighter to play with all your friends. If I wanted to play a 4 player super-technical fighter, I'd play Guilty Gear Isuka (even though it's got lots of controls issues).

Assertn
Fri, 06-01-2007, 11:29 AM
Exactly. And all the technical characteristics people bring up when associating this with the fighting game genre....well I hate fighting games.

Yukimura
Fri, 06-01-2007, 07:58 PM
Every fighting game I've played (Honorable mention to Dead or Alive 3 for not being so bad at this) has been utterly unsuitable for casual play. There's always some weird glitchy seeming behavior that requires hours and hours of practice to viably use but once mastered yeilds a devastating enough advantage that there's no point in playing against it unless you've mastered it as well. I initially thought SSBM was difffernent, something younger people could just pick up and have fun playing, but a year living in a dorm full of wave dashing, frame counting maniacs took all the fun out of it for me. Now I hate the game with a passion. I say let the fighting games go to the people willing to devote themselves to them and if you want to have fun with your friends do something else.

darkshadow
Sat, 06-02-2007, 02:37 PM
Until your friends who play casually get fed up with not having a chance, and stop playing altogether. I never owned a gamecube, so I just stopped playing with the ones who'd start pulling moves like that.

Now one of my friends has no one to play with. Smash was designed to be a casual fighter to play with all your friends.

This happened to me with the narutimate hero games on the ps2.
I introduced them to my friends, and utterly destroyed them in those games, to the point where:
a) they dont want to play against me
b) i hold back big time, just so its fun ( i do this with tenkaichi 2 aswell )

So i just decided to stop playing nh3 all together until nha was released, just so the skill level would even out i guess, until the younger brother of a friend of mine challenged me to a be all, end all match on who is better at the game ( i used to crush him over and over).
So he trained and fucking trained for like months, while i didn't even play the game, actually I think I even lost the game, can't find it anywhere.

Anyway, we started the matches, and he won the first match, i was suprised cause he pretty much owned me, second round i was getting used to the game again, and it was a close win for him.
3rd,4th and 5th round i won, didn't even use my best character.
However, he is the only one that would like to play like 10 rounds against me, my other friends won't, unless i agree to hold back, and let them land the occassional special attack on me.

So yeah i hope ssbb does away with those exploits, they can make friendly games a total mess.

bagandscalpel
Sat, 06-02-2007, 05:45 PM
So yeah i hope ssbb does away with those exploits, they can make friendly games a total mess.
Nyohohohoho

You make it sound as though fighting games aren't friendly. Oh, and NH3 has some pretty bad exploits, though (D: air grab infinites nyohohoho).

darkshadow
Sat, 06-02-2007, 06:04 PM
I meant games as in matches, not actual games >_>.

Carnage
Sun, 06-03-2007, 05:33 PM
2 new weapons and a new level have been introduced since wednesday.

:D (http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/index.html)

XanBcoo
Mon, 06-04-2007, 12:50 PM
I like the look of the Cracker Launcher. Does anyone know if that's from a specific game or is it a SSBB original weapon?

Yoshi's Story music is also up today. Sounds kinda tropical. I like.

Assertn
Tue, 06-05-2007, 01:14 PM
New pokemans now. I don't get how that fire lizard thing is supposed to be different from the fire bird and fire dog things o_O

bagandscalpel
Tue, 06-05-2007, 03:30 PM
New pokemans now. I don't get how that fire lizard thing is supposed to be different from the fire bird and fire dog things o_O
Looks like it just sits there and eats up space while doing direct contact damage, unlike the other two you've mentioned.

XanBcoo
Tue, 06-05-2007, 04:13 PM
Groudon is fucking huge! He'll burn your face!

That is how the captions read in my mind. I hope they add new Pokemon from the more recent games, because I haven't played any of them, and will be more exciting in Brawl because of that.

Assertn
Tue, 06-05-2007, 06:03 PM
Looks like it just sits there and eats up space while doing direct contact damage, unlike the other two you've mentioned.
You must be thinking of a different fire bird.

bagandscalpel
Tue, 06-05-2007, 11:59 PM
You must be thinking of a different fire bird.
Blarg, it would seem that I goofed- forgot about Moltres.

Whatever, just so long as Nintendo doesn't flood the trophy section with 450+ pokemon trophies, or something.

XanBcoo
Wed, 06-06-2007, 05:53 AM
I haven't used the Pokeballs in a while, but IIRC you didn't have to actually touch Moltres for it to do damage to you. It looks like Groudon just acts like a huge obstacle, instead of actually attacking anyone.

Today's entry was disappointing.

Assertn
Wed, 06-06-2007, 04:58 PM
Yes, moltres just hovered there for a few seconds, dealt lots of damage to whatever touched it, then flew up away.

Even that aside though, there's plenty of other pokemon already that perform similiar purposes. There's that electric tiger thing for example that sits on the level and repeatedly electricutes anything that comes within a certain range of it. The fire lion thing is just like the moltres too, except that he also burns anything above him as well.

Basically, melee already accounted for every single thing you can accomplish with the use of pokeballs.

Carnage
Wed, 06-06-2007, 05:45 PM
What about pokemon that move and fight for you for about 15 sec. Scissors only flies in two or three directions and then he's done, it'd be cool to have an ally for about 15 sec or so.

XanBcoo
Wed, 06-06-2007, 06:00 PM
Basically, melee already accounted for every single thing you can accomplish with the use of pokeballs.
P-perhaps they'll include some Pokemon with protective powers, where they guard you with a shield or something?

I'm not sure if any Pokemon have that power though. Anyway, I guess you're right about the Pokes, though I'm sure Moltres also had the ability to blast the screen with a fire attack or something.

Edit to below: No, I know Entei also did the fire pillar thing, but I honestly recall Moltres flying into the background sometimes and attacking with a fire pillar as well. I remember it because it pissed me off that he didn't always do it. I can't just be imagining this.

darkmetal505
Wed, 06-06-2007, 06:03 PM
P-perhaps they'll include some Pokemon with protective powers, where they guard you with a shield or something?

I'm not sure if any Pokemon have that power though. Anyway, I guess you're right about the Pokes, though I'm sure Moltres also had the ability to blast the screen with a fire attack or something.

That was Entei. He shot up a large pillar of flame in the middle of the level.

XanBcoo
Fri, 06-08-2007, 06:23 PM
Neat...looks like the Brawl gameplay will allow for different types of controller setups, with the Gamecube controller option finally being confirmed.

Like Sakurai, I think I'll stick with the GC controller, but I think it might also be fun to use the Wiimote and Nunchuck.

Assertn
Fri, 06-08-2007, 06:38 PM
Edit to below: No, I know Entei also did the fire pillar thing, but I honestly recall Moltres flying into the background sometimes and attacking with a fire pillar as well. I remember it because it pissed me off that he didn't always do it. I can't just be imagining this.

It was that big white bird thing with the blue under-belly.

NM
Fri, 06-08-2007, 09:31 PM
It was that big white bird thing with the blue under-belly.

I believe its name is Lugia? The last Pokemon game my bro and I played was Gold and Silver, and the Silver version's cover has Lugia on it (Gold having Ho-Oh).

darkmetal505
Thu, 06-14-2007, 11:19 PM
NM is right.

On the smashbros website it says the game will be compatible with the remote alone, remote + nunchuck, classic controller, and gamecube controller (which they prefer you use).

If they allow gameplay through the remote alone, I suspect they toned down much of the fast paced action we were arguing about.

bagandscalpel
Fri, 06-15-2007, 01:17 AM
If they allow gameplay through the remote alone, I suspect they toned down much of the fast paced action we were arguing about.
Naw, I speculate that it won't so much tone down the speed of the gameplay, rather, it's going to feel REALLY awkward given the strange button placements on the standalone wiimote (also, it's a pain to hold for prolonged gaming from personal experience).

XanBcoo
Fri, 06-15-2007, 08:05 AM
Several small updates since last week. The Metroid song they have up is pretty cool, and I like what they're doing to the crates and barrels.

XanBcoo
Tue, 06-19-2007, 05:41 PM
Shit shit, Link and Pikachu's Final Smashes look fuckawesome!

http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/9262/pikachu070619blwy6.jpg

I love how it says you can control it too. RIDE ZA LIGHTNING!!

NM
Thu, 06-21-2007, 10:50 AM
Once they started putting the Final Smashes up, it only makes me wonder what Solid Snake's Final Smash will be...

And yeah, Links Final Smash is pretty damn sexy if you ask me. :D

Ryllharu
Thu, 06-21-2007, 12:00 PM
A big Metal Gear Rex foot squish to his foes and his health regenerated with a brotherly hug from Liquid.

XanBcoo
Thu, 06-21-2007, 12:18 PM
It’s rumored that this unpredictable character will give birth to a form of martial arts that other characters cannot even see.
So, farting basically? I wonder...

And I still can't get over how stupid Fox's new design looks. He's no more a fox than he is an Anime style Beluga whale (http://images.google.co.uk/images?hl=en&q=beluga%20whale&btnG=Google+Search&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&um=1&sa=N&tab=wi) with pointy ears. Oh well, at least it looks like he'll play roughly the same.

All is going well.

Carnage
Thu, 06-21-2007, 08:29 PM
New updates on fox (nothing that we dont already know).

Is it just me or does Fox now have a dbz scouter on the right side of his face?

NM
Fri, 06-22-2007, 01:00 AM
New updates on fox (nothing that we dont already know).

Is it just me or does Fox now have a dbz scouter on the right side of his face?

"Fox, what does the scouter say about his power level?"
"ITS OVER 9000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

I'm not going to be surprised if "over 9000" pics of Fox start showing up. :p

Ryllharu
Mon, 06-25-2007, 11:32 AM
Zelda is in!

I don't care if she can turn into Sheik or not, I never used it much anyway. I preferred letting opponents come into well-timed power blasts. We may see a different transformation altogether.

She's brunette again (like in Link to the Past and all the earlier games) and the design looks amazing so far.

Now I've definitely got to find a Wii before this comes out...

darkshadow
Mon, 06-25-2007, 11:45 AM
i agree, wow:
http://www.smashbros.com/en_uk/characters/images/zelda/zelda.jpg

XanBcoo
Mon, 06-25-2007, 06:41 PM
I guess having 3 blond-haired female characters was a bit too much for the game. Still, I like brunettes better anyway, and Zelda is no exception.

The fact that there was no mention of Sheik does really bring up questions though. Is it possible that Sheik could become a separate character altogether, giving Zelda a Down+B attack derived from Twilight Princess?? I hope so.

Though, I'm guessing it'll probably be similar to whatever happens with Samus and Zero Suit Samus. "Special conditions" right?

Edit: Also, I hope Ganondorf gets an overhaul. His Twilight Princess design would be great, but what I'm really holding out for his his Windwaker look, which was probably my favorite so far.

Ryllharu
Mon, 06-25-2007, 07:59 PM
Hulking, stony looking, and with a Master Sword right in his forehead?

(If you found that to be a Windwaker spoiler, I think the statute of limitations has expired on that game)

UChessmaster
Mon, 06-25-2007, 09:12 PM
i wont be able to get this game, my aunt wasnt able to get a wii in usa and she`s coming on friday T_T

Assertn
Tue, 06-26-2007, 02:43 PM
Sweet.....is that the windmill song they play early in today's audio clip?
Oh...and Saria's song near the end

Edit: Er....apparently the entire song is a compilation of ocarina tunes. That's pretty dope

XanBcoo
Tue, 06-26-2007, 06:30 PM
Among the songs played in The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time were many famous tunes that were uncreatively rehashed in Twilight Princess
Still, I must admit that listening to that music not only gave me a nostalgia rush, but also made me that much more excited about this game.

Sweet.....is that the windmill song they play early in today's audio clip?
Yes, and it's totally my favorite song from OoT. I'm so glad they included it.

eat_toast
Sun, 07-01-2007, 05:16 AM
As for Wario.... anyone else completely unimpressed? (Maybe slightly repulsed?)

RedX1z
Sun, 07-01-2007, 09:21 AM
What were you expecting out of a character like Wario? He was always that disturbingly ill-mannered brute, though some of those images were really unnecessary.

I still think they should have more outside party members for characters. Even though, Snake is more than what most could've hoped for.

darkmetal505
Sun, 07-01-2007, 05:35 PM
Wario's dash B sure seems interesting. I thought for sure they would make it the shoulder bash. The fart was already expected.

I love the Zelda music. It brings back the OoT feel.

UChessmaster
Mon, 07-02-2007, 07:43 AM
http://img.qj.net/uploads/articles_module/96482/super_smash_bros_brawl_assist_trophy_qjpreviewth.j pg?829746

When you're in a brawl, a friend's help can be very valuable. Remember those fighting games where you can call on another character to help you during times of need? Well, that same feature will be available in Nintendo's Super Smash Bros. Brawl via an item called the Assist Trophy.

Unlike other fighting video games, Super Smash Bros. Brawl's assist mechanic showcases characters that aren't in the fighters roster of the game. So you might want to think about them as special summoned characters. Players won't be able to choose who they summon and the summoned fighters can't be controlled either. So far, only three assist characters have been revealed in the latest Smash Bros. DOJO! update: Hammer Bro, Samurai Goro, and Nintendog (yes, a nintendog).

Hammer Bro from the Super Mario Bros. series can be pretty nifty as he does utilize his proverbial throwing hammers while Samurai Goro from the F-Zero series uses his blade to take a swipe at your enemies. The Nintendog, however, might not be as useful as the other two since it does come up to the screen and will block your view of the ongoing battle (but hopefully, it will block your opponent's screen, too). Think about it as an uber cute distraction from all the fighting.

Anyway, players will get to summon the said Assist Trophy characters by first getting an assist trophy. The fun thing is that most of the summoned fighters are invincible during battle, so they're best when they are on your side of the fence.

You're probably planning the best tactics you can employ using the Assist Trophy and while you're doing that, you might as well check out the rest of the screenshots for further reference. More Super Smash Bros. Brawl for the Wii news and updates when they happen.

XanBcoo
Mon, 07-02-2007, 10:45 AM
Assist Trophies, Fuck Yeah!

http://img124.imageshack.us/img124/3498/assist01070702blta8.jpg

So basically they're like Pokeballs for non-Pokemon. I totally didn't see that coming, though it certainly sounds like a genius idea. Imagine only Pokeballs and Assist Trophies on a high item-drop setting. Madness!

As for Wario.... anyone else completely unimpressed? (Maybe slightly repulsed?)
No, not really. I think they're pretty awesome, especially his motorcycle. I'm guessing they'll probably use his shoulder-rush attack as a dashing+A attack or a tilt.

Also, I love the idea of the banana peels. That's a weapon I never realized was missing until they just added it.

Raven
Tue, 07-03-2007, 02:51 AM
Man, that Ocarina medley is brilliant.

Knives122
Tue, 07-03-2007, 10:59 AM
Haha, samurai goro and bowser? This will be the greatest game ever

XanBcoo
Tue, 07-03-2007, 02:41 PM
Haha, samurai goro and bowser? This will be the greatest game ever
Well, of the two, only Bowser is playable. Samurai Goro is an assist trophy.

Also, this bit:

To be honest, there are a LOT of characters that offer a slightly different flavor this time around. If you think they’re all going to be the same as they have been, it’ll be rough for you.
...has me wriggling with excitement. So basically, we get a load of new characters AND hopefully an overhaul of a bunch more. Maybe Brawl will make it so that people won't complain about Sheik anymore.

darkshadow
Wed, 07-04-2007, 06:43 PM
Man, that Ocarina medley is brilliant.

Here you go:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=0C63SW3L :cool:

Raven
Wed, 07-04-2007, 09:12 PM
Here you go:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=0C63SW3L :cool:
Cheers dude.

XanBcoo
Thu, 07-05-2007, 07:41 AM
I was waiting for one of you to post so I didn't have to double post yesterday, but yesterday's update is probably the single best update so far.

Giga Bowswer is a playable character!
http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/3669/gigabowserbq9.jpg

Actually, he's just Bowser's Final Smash, and is only temporary. But still, that's the best news yet in my opinion. Today's update is also pretty good, since it details the different button configurations for some attacks with the different controls.

Assertn
Thu, 07-05-2007, 11:46 AM
I'm curious which of the 4 play styles will be the most comfortable. The gamecube controller I'm sure will operate pretty much the same way it did with melee, and the retro controller attachment won't be too much different than that (although the left analog stick might get annoying)....

however I can almost see the remote + nunchuk combo being really easy to work with.
On the plus side, you can probably control the special and standard attacks with seperate fingers (thumb for A, trigger for B), but you lose the quick-grab that your index finger would otherwise control with, say, melee.

UChessmaster
Thu, 07-05-2007, 09:28 PM
seems like the guys making the game visit this forums = D

Standard Attack

http://img485.imageshack.us/img485/3619/basic04070705asw5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img296.imageshack.us/img296/1979/basic04070705eti2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

If you just press the attack button, you’ll perform a standard attack. These are generally speedy.

Strong Attack
http://img487.imageshack.us/img487/5937/basic04070705bst2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img487.imageshack.us/img487/8861/basic04070705far6.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

When you tilt the stick in a direction, you’ll do a stronger attack in that direction. These attacks usually have longer reach.

Smash Attack

http://img485.imageshack.us/img485/788/basic04070705czg7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img296.imageshack.us/img296/5374/basic04070705grw8.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Now, if you simultaneously tilt the stick and press the button, you’ll do a smash attack. These are powerful!

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/664/basic04070705dtu3.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

By pressing and holding the attack button during a smash attack, you can build up power. Power up and unleash it when the time is right!

Assertn
Fri, 07-06-2007, 01:52 PM
A new stage this time.

A bunch of these stages shown so far don't seem too inspiring. Mostly different visual representations of stuff we've seen in the previous games. This stage will probably be especially annoying since it's not an island stage.

UChessmaster
Sat, 07-07-2007, 11:21 AM
Well, it seems i`ll actually be able to play since i got a modded wii after all = D

my code is 0677 9701 6430 5832

i added everyone in the mii thread already

XanBcoo
Sat, 07-07-2007, 06:38 PM
Man, I remember reading on another forum last week, some guy was saying the Bridge of Eldin would be a great stage from Twilight Princess. I guess he got his wish.

I also think it's pretty rad.

Assertn
Sat, 07-07-2007, 10:47 PM
Man, I remember reading on another forum last week, some guy was saying the Bridge of Eldin would be a great stage from Twilight Princess. I guess he got his wish.

I also think it's pretty rad.

Dude. It's completely flat.
And sometimes there's a hole in the middle of it.

It's not that rad.

XanBcoo
Sun, 07-08-2007, 06:42 AM
Dude. It's completely flat.
And sometimes there's a hole in the middle of it.

It's not that rad.
That hole just means it's XTREME! And by most accounts, being Xtreme is totally rad.

Seriously though, I guess I just like flat stages. Though most of my excitement comes from the scenery though, since it reminds me of the bridge-joust in TP, which was arguably the most epic scene in that game. It's a nice looking level.

Carnage
Tue, 07-10-2007, 06:57 AM
http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/items/assist/images/assist03/assist03_070710a.jpg

What? You mean THAT Dr. Wright? The one from the SNES version of SimCity? Well,
I guess Super Smash Bros. Brawl is the kind of game where anyone can show up and
anything can happen!

http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/items/assist/images/assist03/assist03_070710b.jpg

"Hold on a second! What are you guys doing here?!"

http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/items/assist/images/assist03/assist03_070710c.jpg

"Starting today, you’re the mayor!"

http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/items/assist/images/assist03/assist03_070710d.jpg

Suddenly, skyscrapers pop up out of nowhere!

Fighters are completely blown away by the skyscrapers that just shot up underneath them.

Awesome. Now THAT’S what I call city-building.

This is going to be one crazy ass game.

UChessmaster
Tue, 07-10-2007, 10:07 AM
is that... marth on the last pic?

Ryllharu
Tue, 07-10-2007, 10:14 AM
Looks like Pit, Link, and Pikachu to me.

Carnage
Tue, 07-10-2007, 10:59 AM
Thats link. :rolleyes:

Knives122
Wed, 07-11-2007, 11:45 AM
That annoying Reggie guy from the E3 Nintendo press conference announced that SSBB will be coming out to america on Dec. 3

XanBcoo
Wed, 07-11-2007, 12:13 PM
That annoying Reggie guy from the E3 Nintendo press conference announced that SSBB will be coming out to america on Dec. 3
Finally, a date. I had expected it to be closer to thanksgiving, but December is still awesome. I know what I'm getting for Christmas.

In other news, the Bumper from the first game is back as an item. I'm glad they chose to bring it back, because honestly, the flipper just wasn't cutting it.

UChessmaster
Thu, 07-12-2007, 07:52 PM
Another original character confirmed, it`s DK... surprise?

http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/3830/donkeykongrs1.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

It’s Donkey Kong, ruler of the jungle. The original giant powerhouse makes a triumphant return!

Looks like his giant punch is still the haymaker you remember. Don’t doubt his strength or you’ll end up with the ultimate headache!

http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/5928/donkeykong070712ato8.jpg (http://imageshack.us) http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/2238/donkeykong070712bpx2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/8532/donkeykong070712cqc4.jpg (http://imageshack.us) http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/9958/donkeykong070712dpp3.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

XanBcoo
Fri, 07-13-2007, 05:47 AM
I think they had to confirm Donkey Kong on the site since the 15 second video they showed during E3 had footage of him.

Not that it's any big surprise. I'm sure all the characters from Melee will also be in this game.

UChessmaster
Fri, 07-13-2007, 12:56 PM
New stage, smashville

Wait a second... Is this...an Animal Crossing stage?! And the name...well... Go ahead and poke fun if you must.

http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/2626/stage06070713aju8.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

This should be a familiar sight to Animal Crossing fans.

It’s very clearly the world of Animal Crossing—even the changing scenery of day and night is determined by the Wii’s internal clock.

http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/8470/stage06070713bse0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

This is not the relaxing pace of any small town I know...

http://img234.imageshack.us/img234/7819/stage06070713cym5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Hmm, it sure is dark.

And what do you think of all those guests hanging out? There sure are a lot. It’s like they all came to watch the big event.

http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/6489/stage06070713dfe9.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

And look, there’s the busy barista, serving coffee to the spectators.

But there’s more...

If you play a match here on Saturday at 8PM...

Oh, I’m too excited to even say it!

http://img234.imageshack.us/img234/5412/stage06070713exu5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

That’s right, a live performance. It’s a good time to be alive...

XanBcoo
Fri, 07-13-2007, 01:27 PM
There's a lot of talk concerning whether or not the Smashville stage means that there'll be an Animal Crossing playable character or not. On the one hand, there's never been a stage in Smash Brothers not also represented by a character, but now that we have the Assist Trophies, it could just mean they're paying tribute to one of those,

I also had to look up who that dog was this morning since I've never played AC.

UChessmaster
Tue, 07-17-2007, 03:36 AM
New pokemon, deoxys (not playable)

http://img124.imageshack.us/img124/4363/mball03070717amt6.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Now, this one is popular. This is Deoxys, a DNA Pokémon. It appears on command from a Poké Ball!

http://img520.imageshack.us/img520/1786/mball03070717boq3.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

When Deoxys appears, it hovers gently in the air.

http://img520.imageshack.us/img520/7571/mball03070717cbr9.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

It slowly turns around...

http://img520.imageshack.us/img520/2743/mball03070717dzq6.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

And unleashes Hyper Beam!

Hyper Beam is truly awe-inspiring. I’d avoid it at all costs, if I were you.

Ryllharu
Wed, 07-18-2007, 07:03 AM
And we finally learn at least one of the ways to get Zero Suit Samus. Using her Final Smash destroys her Power Suit. I imagine she'll also be a playable character in her own right as well. At least there probably isn't a chance she'll come back suited when if she dies, you can only use the Final Smash once per match.

XanBcoo
Wed, 07-18-2007, 07:31 AM
I really hope she'll be a playable character in her own right. It would really suck if you had to use Samus' final smash every time you wanted to use ZSS, and even worse if you have to avoid using the final smash if you don't like using ZSS.

Edit: That's assuming she'll have different attributes and movesets, which I'm sure she will.

Assertn
Wed, 07-18-2007, 11:25 AM
Yeah.....that's pretty messed up......

I wonder if Zelda has to do the same to transform into Sheik =o

NM
Wed, 07-18-2007, 12:27 PM

The thing is, the Zelda in this Super Smash is from Twilight Princess, where there was no Sheik present in the game. Unless of course, they just decided to use the character model from TP and will still include Sheik since Zelda had it in Melee.

Ryllharu
Wed, 07-18-2007, 12:32 PM
Sakurai mentioned a while back that Zero Suit Samus would require rather specific cirumstances, these appear to be it. I wonder if doing it just once will unlock her. I imagine that under normal circumstances, Final Smash is a pretty rare item. It would reinforce how much you'd need to fight for it in a versus match since you can only use it once.

Before in Melee, it was do something specific, get challenged, defeat them, and it's unlocked. Let's just hope this is how to unlock her. Considering how much press her character has gotten, and considering she's supposed to have a very different fighting style, it wouldn't be right for this to be the only way.

Carnage
Wed, 07-18-2007, 12:55 PM
Super Smash Bros has not failed us before, and it wont start now! :p

UChessmaster
Wed, 07-18-2007, 07:40 PM
I guess everyone knows already...

<Zero Laser>

Don’t fire! Do NOT fire that laser!

Why? ...Well, because it really hurts!

http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/2928/samus070718aws3.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

MAXIMUM CHARGE!

http://img55.imageshack.us/img55/3094/samus070718bka4.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Now, fire! Whoa, that’s huge!

That weapon is extremely powerful. Her opponents’ damage meters skyrocket!

...But afterward, Samus has a problem.

http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/9590/samus070718cap8.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

All of her armor fell off!

http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/344/samus070718dfn8.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Now she’s just Zero Suit Samus.

That really was her last trump card. She used a weapon so powerful, it destroyed her Power Suit.

Now it’s time for Zero Suit Samus to show what she can do.

It looks like you can throw the pieces of her suit that end up on the ground.

Hey. Stop that... QUIT IT! I mean it!

http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/5857/samus070718ecu3.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Take that!

Personal Note: If they dont let you choose Zamus by holding A like shiek, how are you going to use her in a competitive play?

XanBcoo
Thu, 07-19-2007, 06:28 AM
Today's update is about Zero Suit Samus. Not much info revealed, but it does confirm speculation that she's basically a weaker-but-faster Samus without her power suit. Her overall look reminds me of Sheik.

I just hope she's playable under different circumstances. Like Ryllharu said, maybe she's unlockable after you use Samus' Final Smash for the first time.

Here's crossing my fingers that they'll make him/her separate characters.

Ryllharu
Thu, 07-19-2007, 06:41 AM
Actually, Zero Suit Samus sounds a LOT like Sheik. Much faster, long reach with a whip, spin kicks? That's almost exactly how Sheik played.

It makes sense if they are using the Twilight Princess Zelda too. There is no more Sheik attached to her, so she becomes a big magic damage, slower moving character. Maybe they've really increased Zelda's damage to make up for it. But now we've got ZSS, making up for how Sheik used to play.

UChessmaster
Fri, 07-20-2007, 10:14 AM
This World...

http://img49.imageshack.us/img49/341/modea01070720amg0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

In this world, trophies fight.

http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/8430/modea01070720bdb8.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img49.imageshack.us/img49/2113/modea01070720cyd5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img49.imageshack.us/img49/5391/modea01070720dzq4.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

They know nothing but fighting. Fighting is the sole reason for their existence.

http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/2876/modea01070720exs7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Being turned back into a trophy, being unable to fight, is much like death.

http://img49.imageshack.us/img49/4633/modea01070720fkf1.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3145/modea01070720glf8.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/6687/modea01070720hvv6.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Those are the rules of this world.

http://img243.imageshack.us/img243/1518/modea01070720itg1.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

But...

http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/3707/modea01070720jhv6.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

When someone...or something...breaks those rules, the world will pay a terrible price...

http://img410.imageshack.us/img410/8492/modea01070720kom2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

XanBcoo
Fri, 07-27-2007, 01:53 PM
Missed all of this week's updates since I've been away, and I come back to find Knuckle Joe! Fucking awesome.

All the other updates were similarly kewl. I love the change they made to Yoshi, as well as the sound of the Footstool Jump.

darkmetal505
Fri, 07-27-2007, 03:11 PM
The Footstool jump is amazing. A lot of characters will benefit from this, especially by adding meteor smashes, ex. Falco.

XanBcoo
Mon, 07-30-2007, 06:19 AM
Donkey Kong's final smash isn't what I was expecting. Looks kinda silly.

Dum, doo, dum, dummmm...

XanBcoo
Wed, 08-01-2007, 03:26 AM
Item update today, giving more possibility for an Animal Crossing character.

http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/6348/canthelpbutgrinht4.jpg

The Pitfall: You can't help but grin.

darkshadow
Wed, 08-01-2007, 04:52 AM
oh yes
http://www.smashbros.com/en_uk/characters/images/ike/ike.jpg

UChessmaster
Wed, 08-01-2007, 10:24 AM
holy shit is that... ike!!!!???

XanBcoo
Wed, 08-01-2007, 12:32 PM
Oh wow, I totally wasn't expecting that.

I don't even know who that is, but I feel excited somehow. I remember on other forums, there was actually some talk of another Fire Emblem character people thought had a good chance of getting in, but I never paid attention to it b/c I've never played the FE games and didn't really expect them to add another character from that franchise.

I hope this means Roy hasn't gotten sacked (I say Roy, because I don't believe they would actually take Marth out). Or maybe they'll have all 3.

Assertn
Wed, 08-01-2007, 12:58 PM
This guy looks like another Marth clone.

Do you guys honestly believe any character is going to get sacked?
well....mayyybe Sheik....

XanBcoo
Wed, 08-01-2007, 02:59 PM
Do you guys honestly believe any character is going to get sacked?
well....mayyybe Sheik....
Well there's no proof that they won't. They didn't from SSB to SSBM, but one example isn't proof of any kind of trend. There's a lot of "clone" characters they could take out or revamp - like Roy or Pichu.

So not necessarily believe, but I guess I'm kinda worried they might?

Assertn
Wed, 08-01-2007, 03:45 PM
Luigi was a Mario clone in SSB, but then he evolved between SSB and SSBM.

Anyway, there would be no marketing advantage to holding back characters. The models have been built, the moves have been developed and balanced, and people have already incorporated them into their own battle styles.

Carnage
Wed, 08-01-2007, 06:53 PM
I like Luigi so much better than Mario. ;) That side-B works like a charm. Although I must admit that Mario's cape can come in a handy for a few moments.

Assertn
Wed, 08-01-2007, 06:55 PM
doc mario >>>>> capt falcon

Ryllharu
Fri, 08-03-2007, 07:21 AM
I really like the look of the Fire Emblem Castle Stage. All the best parts of the Zelda Stages from past games, but it also collapses.

More importantly, today they announced that they are beefing up the single player modes. They've added a side scroller of all things. That hasn't really worked too well in most fighting games that have had them, but this one looks pretty well polished instead of simply tacked on. They even gave it a story with character developments!

Screenshots and a short movie clip at the site.

Assertn
Fri, 08-03-2007, 10:52 AM
Wow....are they going to actually have a full-blown story mode this time? It actually looks like it could be fun! =]

Also, obviously we can tell Peach is going to be in it.

XanBcoo
Tue, 08-07-2007, 08:20 PM
Some of Ike's moves are up today. His up+B looks like it works like Kirby's cutter, and his chargeable B attack is probably going to work like Roy's B. There's also something of a confirmation that he'll be a "heavy" character, unlike Marth.

The Smoke Ball seems a bit dubious to me, though. Like the Nintendogs, I honestly can't grasp the advantage of obscuring your own field of vision. If you're good enough to play without needing to see what you're doing, then you don't really need a crazy-ass item in the first place. They're not really going for effectiveness with this one.

Edit: That said, I guess it could be kinda fun when playing with a room full of people.

Ryllharu
Tue, 08-07-2007, 09:10 PM
There were a lot of items in the previous games that never really seemed useful for anything but chucking at the others.

XanBcoo
Tue, 08-07-2007, 09:20 PM
Yeah, I'm really just complaining for the sake of it. I wouldn't mind so much if the item were at least something iconic from a well-known game.

Actually, it can probably be used to help hide the mines or at the very least to spam them until shit gets chaotic.

Assertn
Tue, 08-07-2007, 10:18 PM
I'm kinda excited to set items on high w/ only smoke balls to see the colorful chaos.

XanBcoo
Wed, 08-08-2007, 04:44 AM
"Smoke Balls, Pokeballs, and Assist Trophies" set on very high is the casual player's answer to Tournament rules.

Carnage
Wed, 08-08-2007, 09:09 AM
No love for bananas? :(

I can't wait to try out Ike, I want to try his B special move so bad. :)

Assertn
Wed, 08-08-2007, 09:16 AM
"Smoke Balls, Pokeballs, and Assist Trophies" set on very high is the casual player's answer to Tournament rules.
Ha....perhaps.....but when I actually feel like playing serious, I much prefer to have items disabled entirely.

darkshadow
Mon, 08-13-2007, 08:20 AM
wow Pit's final smash is pretty cool, i mean he calls in a fking army.
And the new character is beyond wicked, awesome concept, I bet this will be one of my favorites:
http://www.smashbros.com/en_uk/characters/images/pokemon_trainer/pokemon_trainer.jpg

Carnage
Mon, 08-13-2007, 09:15 AM
Im so glad they kept to the old school pokemon. :o

Ryllharu
Mon, 08-13-2007, 09:24 AM
Wow, that is going to be one of the most confusing and therefore awesome characters to play. I wonder what they mean by stamina. Will the pokemon get dizzy if they're in too long?

Assertn
Mon, 08-13-2007, 10:21 AM
Yeah....I get the feeling it would disturb the flow of the game too much if they don't do the pokemon transition seamlessly enough.

Imagine 4 players using the pokemon trainer o_O

Knives122
Mon, 08-13-2007, 01:07 PM
It would create chaos. Which is exactly what a game like this needs. Besides it'll be a good way to sniff out who can pay attention in a situation like that.

Assertn
Mon, 08-13-2007, 01:17 PM
Well I mean for example, it creates an easy way to duck out of the heat of battle by swapping pokemon. Maybe it'll end up being similar to the zelda/sheik transformation.

XanBcoo
Tue, 08-14-2007, 08:23 PM
I honestly can't imagine how they'll pull off the Pokemon Trainer without it seeming awkward switching them in and out all the time.

It's a cool concept that the Trainer acts as a ghost character behind the Pokemon whom you have full control over, but aren't they essentially just adding 3 more pokemon characters to the roster? Instead of adding Charizard, Ivysaur, and Squirtle as individuals, they're just mashing them into 1 character.

Also, today's update:
http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/9313/noudevilssbbpy9.jpg

Assertn
Wed, 08-22-2007, 10:21 AM
a new challenger approaches.....

Iridani
Wed, 08-22-2007, 04:53 PM
...Damnit I need a Wii so I can get in on this! SSB = <3 on so many levels. Game looks amazing!

Carnage
Wed, 08-22-2007, 05:03 PM
Please add Sonic Please add Sonic Please add Sonic Please add Sonic .....

Knives122
Wed, 08-22-2007, 05:05 PM
Fucking Diddy Kong, I hate that son of a bitch.

Assertn
Thu, 08-23-2007, 11:16 AM
wow....I completely forgot that yoshi ever had wings / spit fire before...

When I first read the article I thought that would be the most random ability to give yoshi

darkshadow
Thu, 08-23-2007, 11:40 AM

When I first read the article I thought that would be the most random ability to give yoshi

Indeed, and the animal crossing theme is awesome, sounds like some old super robot theme.

BioAlien
Thu, 08-23-2007, 02:44 PM
Since Yoshi can fly/spit fire using his final smash, do you think he can use the other ability from the Koopa Shells too?
(Remember, the multicoloured koopa shell from Super Mario World, it gave Yoshi all the ability at the same time, except only 1 time spit ball of fire.)

UChessmaster
Thu, 08-23-2007, 06:00 PM

He did? when was that? o.0

darkshadow
Thu, 08-23-2007, 07:14 PM
http://img167.imageshack.us/img167/1604/wingedyoshimg1.jpg

Ryllharu
Thu, 08-23-2007, 08:13 PM
He had all these abilities since his first appearance in Super Mario World. Blue shells gave him wings until he swallowed it, red spat three fireballs, yellow was super stomp, green did nothing.

XanBcoo
Thu, 09-06-2007, 09:58 AM
Bunch of really awesome updates since last time. Not sure if I'm digging Diddy's special moves. They seem a bit complicated. I guess I'm just not in agreement with the whole charging factor. But he's probably really fun to play anyway.

Today's 1st update is gonna mean trouble for some hardcore fans. Messing with Mario's move list? It could work, but there will be so much whining.

2nd update is great! I'm gonna love the flying-type Pokemon stage. :cool:

Ryllharu
Thu, 09-06-2007, 11:20 AM
But Mario's watergun pushes opponents "a great distance." If you time it just right, and have everyone near the edge of a small stage (Like old Mario Bros or Game&Watch stages in Melee), or close enough to the ledges, you could kill three opponents in one shot. Even not near a ledge, you could cram them into a corner and throw a mine, shove them all into a mine already laid. It's probably blows back thrown items as well.

Who cares if that changes his move list. There's too much potential in that new move.

UChessmaster
Thu, 09-06-2007, 12:02 PM
he still has mario tornado...

Assertn
Thu, 09-06-2007, 12:19 PM
Water gun knocking captain falcon off the stage followed by a cape when he attempts to up+B back up == instant death.

Mario's tornado sucked. Dr Mario's tornado, however, was pretty decent.

Koyuki
Thu, 09-06-2007, 01:58 PM
After I get my driver's license, I'll save up some money for Wii. And it's great that I can use my GC controllers, I just need to my GC back. I played SSBM all the time on GC.

Can't wait to try ZS Samus, Wario and Snake.

Ryllharu
Thu, 09-06-2007, 02:33 PM
I made sure I got a Wii before the Christmas season starts winding up. I have a feeling that if you don't buy it as a bundle soon, you won't be able to find them at all around late October. I picked up a bare bones bundle (Wii sports and Wii Play). I've still yet to see one in an actual store.

Come December 5th, if you don't already own a Wii, chances are you won't find one.

Zelda all the way for me. Though ZS Samus will be the first one I try to unlock.

XanBcoo
Thu, 09-06-2007, 03:11 PM
I'm more interested in Pit and Meta Knight. Kirby was always appealing to me, aside from his definite lack of speed, and Meta Knight seems to be shaping up to be a faster, more mobile version of Kirby. Pit's just cool 'cause of the gliding thing.

Personally I hope Mario's water gun has ridiculously long range. Getting blasted by that thing from across the stage would be crazy.

XanBcoo
Mon, 09-10-2007, 11:55 AM
I guess Munchlax is a bit of an item hog. Any item it gets, it eats! It’s kind of hard to tell it to stop, though.
http://img75.imageshack.us/img75/9206/mball04070910dlml1.jpg

He's also apparently got Pinkeye.

UChessmaster
Mon, 09-10-2007, 03:38 PM
wow, he is even more useles than goldeen >_>, he eats items?

XanBcoo
Mon, 09-10-2007, 07:34 PM
Not useless. Just annoying, since he actually does something. I don't think they'd replace Goldeen.

Unless they use, like, Magikarp instead.

bagandscalpel
Tue, 09-11-2007, 02:59 AM
Alas, the newest assist trophy... At the very least I can give them credit for having Fire Emblem 7 on their minds.

darkshadow
Tue, 09-11-2007, 03:00 PM
Man i was stoked seeing lady lyn, then found out she was just an assist trophy, what a waste.

Assertn
Tue, 09-11-2007, 03:38 PM
Man i was stoked seeing lady lyn, then found out she was just an assist trophy, what a waste.

I think after Roy, Marth, Ike, Link, Young Link, Metaknight, Icarus....there's enough sword fighters in the game.

Kitsune
Tue, 09-11-2007, 07:19 PM
Zelda all the way for me. Though ZS Samus will be the first one I try to unlock.

ZS Samus is an unlockable I thought u just use Samus' supermove and the armor falls off O_o

Ryllharu
Tue, 09-11-2007, 07:44 PM
That would necessitate you having to get the Final Smash and using it immediately in every battle just to use ZS Samus. I mean 'unlockable' as you can choose to start with ZS Samus.

That's probably is how you do unlock her. Either way, that's what I'm pushing for.

darkshadow
Wed, 09-12-2007, 08:32 AM
I think after Roy, Marth, Ike, Link, Young Link, Metaknight, Icarus....there's enough sword fighters in the game.

Lyn is a totally different swordfighter then any of those though, her style rocks.

XanBcoo
Wed, 09-12-2007, 09:28 AM
The Halberd looks like a fun level!

There seem to be a lot of small stages so far. I hope we can also get something akin to the large Zelda stages in the previous games. I mean, The Bridge of Eldin looks good, but it has the whole "random missing chunk of the bridge" thing as well. All jokes about "1v1, no items, final destination!" aside, it'd be cool to have at least one flat level with a lot of room to move around, and without this degree of randomness that's been present in every stage so far. I enjoy those.

Cyborg Ninja confirmed for Brawl!

Assertn
Wed, 09-12-2007, 04:04 PM
The Halberd looks like a fun level!

There seem to be a lot of small stages so far. I hope we can also get something akin to the large Zelda stages in the previous games. I mean, The Bridge of Eldin looks good, but it has the whole "random missing chunk of the bridge" thing as well. All jokes about "1v1, no items, final destination!" aside, it'd be cool to have at least one flat level with a lot of room to move around, and without this degree of randomness that's been present in every stage so far. I enjoy those.

Cyborg Ninja confirmed for Brawl!
There needs to be more levels like the rainbow cruise ship!

XanBcoo
Thu, 09-13-2007, 02:22 AM
Update: I can't wait to say,

You
Me

Stamina Mega Flower Curry Heavy Slow Angled Bunny Brawl!

NOW!

Great update though, 'cause this is something I've always wished for. I'm always going back and forth to the item switch menu in Melee, turning off and on Super Mushrooms and Pokeballs and whatever. This and the My Music feature are really gonna make this game enjoyable.

Assertn
Thu, 09-13-2007, 09:47 AM
Update: I can't wait to say,

You
Me

Stamina Mega Flower Curry Heavy Slow Angled Bunny Brawl!

NOW!

Great update though, 'cause this is something I've always wished for. I'm always going back and forth to the item switch menu in Melee, turning off and on Super Mushrooms and Pokeballs and whatever. This and the My Music feature are really gonna make this game enjoyable.

It's not the same thing as the item menu. Item menu just determines what items show up. This is for permanent status effects.

Ryllharu
Thu, 09-13-2007, 10:30 AM
You can make the gravity heavy, the size huge, speed slow, angle camera, put on curry, and have a Godzilla battle the whole match.

Not too great for really competitive play, but fun nonetheless.

Assertn
Thu, 09-13-2007, 12:11 PM
I wonder if you can set your HP for stamina.

It was actually a pretty neat mode to play around in, but you never had much health to begin with.

XanBcoo
Thu, 09-13-2007, 04:14 PM
It's not the same thing as the item menu. Item menu just determines what items show up. This is for permanent status effects.
Ah damn, I totally misread that last night. Dunno why I assumed you'd be able to customize and save item settings. :confused:

Still think it'd be a great idea.

UChessmaster
Tue, 09-18-2007, 02:27 PM
today was... best... update... ever...

online ftw

darkshadow
Tue, 09-18-2007, 05:37 PM
I think its fair to say... we all knew about that already...

UChessmaster
Tue, 09-18-2007, 08:32 PM
i think its fair to say, official confirmation > especulation, cause that was all it was before being confirmed

darkshadow
Tue, 09-18-2007, 08:50 PM
i think its fair to say, official confirmation > especulation, cause that was all it was before being confirmed

*cough*

"Even better, the game will be fully online playable in addition to featuring a robust multiplayer mode. "My plan is to include Wi-Fi connection compatibility and online functionality. One of the primary reasons Super Smash Bros. Brawl was created was that Nintendo, when taking Wii online, wanted to have Smash Bros. to do that," added Sakurai."

http://wii.ign.com/articles/707/707504p1.html

That was at E3 2006! lawl.

Ryllharu
Fri, 09-21-2007, 06:50 AM
The big Snake update. His special moves, theme song (with the hint of a MGS stage), and a couple screenshots of him in action.

This of course being the coolest one:
http://img503.imageshack.us/img503/3788/snake070921clqc2.jpg

BioAlien
Fri, 09-21-2007, 01:02 PM
Go Snake! Kill that purple/blue haired freak! :rolleyes:

XanBcoo
Fri, 09-21-2007, 01:25 PM
Now that's the best news so far. Triple Snake update!

Even if you don't like the Snake confirmation, or any of his attacks, that music is amazing.

Loving this.

Assertn
Fri, 09-21-2007, 02:29 PM
Yes, cover Ike's mouth so as not to draw attention to yourself in the midst of a brawl.
Snake's seriousness makes his appearance in the game all the more amusing.

I'm curious what his stage will look like

RedX1z
Fri, 09-21-2007, 05:35 PM
I'm curious what his stage will look like

The stage would probably look like the inside of a tank hanger or if you can fight on top of a moving Metal Gear, that'd be great too.

UChessmaster
Sun, 09-23-2007, 04:29 PM
There`s this thing i noticed, and excuse me if i sound like captain obvious, but look at the mario special moves section, when he is doing the mario tornado you cant see the FLUDD, wich is odd cause the flood has two stances so far, standby wich is when is looking up and should be viewable, or attacking when it goes to the front... in wich case it should be viewable as well.

If you think about it, mario`s tornado is not really stated to be a down smash *wonders*

BioAlien
Wed, 09-26-2007, 02:12 PM
Good God!

Probably the best assist trophies so far.

http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/2138/sanstitreug3.png

Ryllharu
Fri, 09-28-2007, 07:58 AM
Full blown Tournament mode. Seems like it goes up to 32 entrants. Sakurai really knows what his game gets used for.

Assertn
Tue, 10-02-2007, 02:43 AM
The previous one went up to 64 players....I'm sure this one will as well.

edit: wow....now THAT is a more interesting level

posts merged, warned, don't double post

Uh...what? It's not a double post if they were 3 days apart dude.

XanBcoo
Thu, 10-04-2007, 05:04 PM
Fox's final smash looks fun. I like how most of them are actually controllable, as opposed to just being automatic attacks that you trigger like Link's, Mario's, or Samus'.

Assertn
Thu, 10-04-2007, 07:10 PM
Some seem far more imbalanced than others though.....

Like Link's attack only targets one person...meanwhile you've got the pokemon trainer's which holds a sustained attack across the length of the playing field that would probably be impossible to avoid on flat levels.

XanBcoo
Thu, 10-04-2007, 07:25 PM
Yeah, here's hoping that they'll balance it out in some way. Maybe the focused attacks will last longer than the wide ranged ones, or do more damage per-blow, or something.

And damn, I can't believe I missed the Pokemon Trainer's final smash update. It's pretty cool.

XanBcoo
Mon, 10-08-2007, 11:42 AM
Today's update is pretty interesting. Not to keep comparing ZSS to Sheik, but I hope her whip is actually useful in battle, unlike the latter's.

Friday's update was awesome though. Really reminds me of Kirby Superstar. Adding a co-op feature to the Subspace game is probably the best thing they could have done.

Assertn
Mon, 10-08-2007, 12:37 PM
ZSS looks pretty sweet. Seems more and more like sheik though.

Also: WUP WUP DOUBLE POST ALERT (two posts sighted within 4 days apart)

XanBcoo
Wed, 10-10-2007, 12:57 AM
No news on the site yet, and roughly one hour before the next update, but...

14:24: Smash Bros. has been delayed in Japan until January 24, 2008.

Nintendo shows a new trailer. Sonic is going to be a playable character! The trailer shows him transforming into Super Sonic.

The game will include online fights. In addition, it will have online cooperative play of some form.
WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW?

Edit: I think I can guess what his final smash might be, judging from the updates (and fucking amazing video that was posted):
http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/7576/supersonicbrawlmt1.jpg

bagandscalpel
Wed, 10-10-2007, 03:54 AM
Delicious.

Although, had Solid Snake been under wraps, it wouldn't have been the biggest. As it stands though, this is pretty earthshaking.

BioAlien
Wed, 10-10-2007, 09:19 AM
Greatest news in a while, and on the same day the Orange box is released. :D

It's really great that Nintendo and Sega can "work" together like this by making their greatest game mascot compete against one another in different games (Olympic, and now Brawl)

darkshadow
Wed, 10-10-2007, 10:22 AM
i kinda already expected him to be in it, but good new none the less, still more psyched about pokemon trainer and snake.

Assertn
Wed, 10-10-2007, 11:58 AM
Sonic looks way overpowered in those videos.

I think I would be extremely disappointed if smash bros doesn't come out before my winter break :(

NM
Wed, 10-10-2007, 08:23 PM
Fucking awesome!! I've been waiting for Sonic's confirmation in Brawl and finally its here. I seriously cannot wait for this game now. :D

XanBcoo
Thu, 10-11-2007, 05:57 PM
http://kotaku.com/gaming/holidays-ruined/super-smash-bros-brawl-delayed-to-2008-in-us-309764.php

the new North American ship date for the Wii brawler is now February 10, 2008.

Merry Christmas!

Or I guess it's "Happy New Year" now.

Carnage
Thu, 10-11-2007, 06:27 PM
FFFFFFFFFFUCK!

They should have released this news first, then let us know about sonic.

XanBcoo
Thu, 10-11-2007, 06:30 PM
Technically they did. The news of the Japanese delay came before the Sonic video, and a delay in Japan obviously implies a delay in the U.S. It just wasn't until today that the official date was set.

But yeah, that sucks pretty hard.

Also Sonic's moves up today. They look ok. I'm a little annoyed that his Down B and Side B are essentially the same though.

darkmetal505
Thu, 10-11-2007, 11:14 PM
gameplay!

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=120072

Assertn
Mon, 10-22-2007, 09:10 AM
:eek: Wow!.....now that's a much more interesting level!

XanBcoo
Tue, 10-23-2007, 01:33 AM
Oh man, it's like a more random Poke Floats. That's great. I'm looking forward to brawling to the Mii Channel music. I wasted so much time there when I first got the Wii.

I've also been watching all the Brawl videos being released on Gametrailers and reading what people have said about playing the game. Looks like there's a whole lot of minor tweaking to some of the characters (especially Fox). The Subspace game looks cool too.

Edit for Japan Time:
Today's update was a video put up earlier this weekend. Donkey Kong splatters Koopa guts all over the place and Diddy goes John Woo on some Bullet Bills.

Assertn
Mon, 10-29-2007, 11:43 AM
WOW....I mean just....wow.....
Today's update is insane!

GO CHECK IT OUT RIGHT NOW!

XanBcoo
Mon, 10-29-2007, 11:53 AM
I was expecting that to be a sarcastic remark, but you're totally right.

Those who enjoy a little effort may be able to enjoy this stage builder for the rest of their lives.
That pretty much sums up the update right there, solidifying Brawl's longevity.

Idealistic
Mon, 10-29-2007, 01:20 PM
I haven't been keeping up with the news but I thought there was suppose to be like 20+ characters or something.

Looks like 15 or so on the character select screen, and it doesn't look like there's room for secret characters to appear.

Assertn
Mon, 10-29-2007, 01:47 PM
I haven't been keeping up with the news but I thought there was suppose to be like 20+ characters or something.

Looks like 15 or so on the character select screen, and it doesn't look like there's room for secret characters to appear.
http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/characters/index.html

There's already 23 confirmed characters...
Clearly, the character select screen will look different for the final release =P

edit: omg lol....
http://mntorankusu.googlepages.com/brawlstageeditor.html

Some people need jobs...

Dark Dragon
Tue, 10-30-2007, 01:10 AM
I was browsing through somethingawful forum and i saw the link to this awesome video.

Enjoy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9bqdOH3js0)

watch it without sound

you can see Ike final smash and it seems that Zero suit samus final smash is to transform into Fusion Suit Samus.

Ryllharu
Tue, 10-30-2007, 06:58 AM
Here's a little bit about how the mechanics have changed. This is from the impressions of two "highly-ranked" competitive players.

If you haven't heard by now, Wavedashing is out. (As a Samus and Luigi main, I weep.) It's no longer possible to perform due to the new air-dodging system. Characters cannot directionally air-dodge; it's now based on their previous momentum, so if you're already flying to the right, air-dodging will continue to thrust you in the same direction. While the obvious downfall to this is a lack of Wavedash, it give the opportunity for innovative strategies to evolve.

In Melee, air-dodging to avoid an attack left you in a vulnerable free fall afterwards. However, this new momentum dodge will enable players already traveling towards the stage to temporarily dodge an attack while staying on their flight path back to safety. In addition to this tactic, momentum-dodging also allows for a second jump or attack to be performed after dodging. This is going to be great for mindgames, as a character can begin a dodge back onto the stage early, and lure their enemy in for an attack as they become vulnerable, only to jump at the last second and land a successful dair. Think of it as being able to jump/dash/attack right in the middle of a step-dodge.

Since Brawl is looking to be very focused on the aerial game, Sakurai found it necessary to make the character more floaty. Don't confuse this with the game being slower, because most movements and attacks are every bit as fast as they were in Melee. Characters now act more like 'Puff and Luigi in the air, which definitely makes aerials heavily emphasized. While short-hopping has been confirmed, the act of SHFFLing has been slightly nerfed because of the inability to land as quickly. L-canceling has also been heavily altered, as you no longer have to press L or R in order to decrease your aerial landing lag. As of now, the only way to L-cancel is to perform your attack after a fast-fall, which will certainly make SHFFLing difficult since many aerials are best performed right before the fast-fall. (I guess I'll say hello to "SHFFing.")

Advanced techniques like dash-dancing, teching, techrolling, and wall-techs are all back and just like they were in Melee. In fact, the game's core is similar to that of Melee's, while mostly the physics have been changed. Attack and landing lag, step-dodging, rolling, priority, and hit box concepts are all borrowed from Brawl's older brother, although almost every aspect has been reworked. All types of DI-ing have also returned, but are significantly easier to perform because of the increased hitstun in Brawl, which can actually be closely related to the hitstun in Smash Bros. 64. Personally, I believe Brawl will shorten the distance between the casual and competitive player, but like in any game, the casual gamer will still need the desire to learn any advanced tactics.

Full article, and interview with even more technical details, here (http://gamernode.com/interviews/4842-the-competitive-brawl-hugs-and-gimpy-weigh-in-on-super-smash-bros-brawl/index.html)

XanBcoo
Tue, 10-30-2007, 09:36 AM
I love how "dash dancing" is considered an "advanced" technique.

"Now mash the control stick wildly back and forth"
"OK...What does it do?"
"Oh...nothing. It just makes you look like an idiot. We call it playing mind games."

Yeah, like Assertn said: Demo != final product.

Assertn
Tue, 10-30-2007, 09:51 AM
you can see Ike final smash and it seems that Zero suit samus final smash is to transform into Fusion Suit Samus.
Nah, if you look at before going into zero suit samus, or any of the costume vids, you'll notice that she has that appearance in those as well. In other words, the Fusion suit is just a color change, not a new character. (and apparently zero suit's final smash goes back to regular samus...good to know) DK and Link's final smashes however.....appear to be quite useless.

Jesus, just listen to Ryllharu's quote....sounds so pathetic....
Those two "highly ranked" players don't sound any different than the thousands of other people who rely on the exact same techniques.

On the plus side, sounds like people will have to go back to developing their own skills for brawl....at least for a little while....

XanBcoo
Wed, 10-31-2007, 07:33 AM
Today it seems a glacier has appeared as a stage, oh yes.

Talk about hectic. And rumor has it, you can’t get careless once you’ve reached the sea.

http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/2023/brawlfishmf7.jpg
JESUS CHRIST, Popo, look out for that fucking fish!

Assertn
Sun, 11-04-2007, 09:36 PM
http://img530.imageshack.us/img530/4452/luigitk1.jpg
HOLY CARP ITS LUIGI!!

Nah i kid.
I'm sure they'll be a cock tease about announcing him, for no apparent reason though.

BioAlien
Fri, 11-16-2007, 01:56 PM
The new spectator feature seems nice.

Assertn
Sat, 11-17-2007, 01:24 PM
I like the gambling feature of it.......but knowing "paranoid mom" over-protective Nintendo, you probably won't even know who the players are....so you can't really make any sort of informed prediction....

XanBcoo
Sat, 11-17-2007, 01:48 PM
That's really the worst part. Just makes the whole thing seem sorta half-assed.

Like...you can watch other people play. That's cool I guess. Oh! You can bet on the games?! That seems like a lot of fun! Wait...You don't know anything about the people playing? It's just random? Oh...

toonice714
Sat, 11-24-2007, 07:51 PM
cant wait to destroy all of u with my waveshining! be prepared to lose to hopefully not so powered down fox and Mario! The CAPE IS BACK!

UChessmaster
Sat, 11-24-2007, 10:47 PM
if that was sarcasm youre pretty good... wavedashing is out

Assertn
Sun, 11-25-2007, 05:46 AM
can't wait to show you all how much time I wasted playing smash bros by myself to steal techniques developed by other players.
This is what I read from your post.

darkmetal505
Sun, 11-25-2007, 03:48 PM
Wavedashing is out, but wavelanding still might be in. You can only do it in the direction you were initially traveling though.

toonice714
Mon, 11-26-2007, 12:50 PM

hey i didnt write that..oh wait lol......i see what you did there. No matter, my main is mario and unless you can beat Javier, Mow, The cape or THE NERDIEST OF THE NERDY Mew2King i dont care if u think my strategies are stolen im still better than u. Ill post my friend code so i can teach you humility.

Ryllharu
Mon, 11-26-2007, 03:04 PM
I thought the update today was pretty big, even if it wasn't a new character. Having one profile hold the 4 different controller setups is a big deal. Moreover, that you can transfer it into a wiimote (something I didn't know the wiimote could even do...) and take it to a friend's.

Wow. I hate to say it, but we really have thought of everything.
They sure have...

Carnage
Mon, 11-26-2007, 04:05 PM
I'm a nerdy fag.

You sure are.

XanBcoo
Mon, 11-26-2007, 04:57 PM
Holllly crap, the "disabling the joystick-up jump" thing is something I never would have thought of, but will always use from now on. That will be so damn useful.

THE NERDIEST OF THE NERDY Mew2King i dont care if u think my strategies are stolen im still better than u.
Mew2King is a waste of life.

toonice714
Mon, 11-26-2007, 08:15 PM
yo i will trash all ur bitchasses in smash. make up all the posts u want. u can still get ur asses fucked up online in smash

Assertn
Mon, 11-26-2007, 09:05 PM
hey i didnt write that..oh wait lol......i see what you did there. No matter, my main is mario and unless you can....NONSENSICAL RAMBLING

UChessmaster
Mon, 11-26-2007, 09:06 PM
WOW, i really liked the idea of fully customizable buttons, and saving them to your wiimote? hell yeah!

yo i will trash all ur bitchasses in smash. make up all the posts u want. u can still get ur asses fucked up online in smash

I feel overwhelmed by your maturity

EDIT: We flamed him almost at the same time Assertn *high five*

Carnage
Mon, 11-26-2007, 11:14 PM
Toonice is being both racist and sexist.Where is the ban hammer?

toonice714
Tue, 11-27-2007, 01:20 PM
[QUOTE=UChessmaster]WOW, i really liked the idea of fully customizable buttons, and saving them to your wiimote? hell yeah!

I feel overwhelmed by your maturity

uh i got flamed first i was just returning the favor. whatever it doesnt matter i'm not a mod soo it doesnt matter what i say b/c everyone else will just start jumping on the mods dicks

UChessmaster
Tue, 11-27-2007, 02:46 PM
Actually...

cant wait to destroy all of u with my waveshining! be prepared to lose to hopefully not so powered down fox and Mario! The CAPE IS BACK!

Don`t want to get flamed? try NOT typing like a random gamefaq user. Learning how to quote helps too.

everyone else will just start jumping on the mods dicks

k...