PDA

View Full Version : "2lBar" Program Development

master_me
Sat, 05-19-2007, 05:37 PM
After so much time using Linux and now switching back to Windows XP, I got a great idea for a program. Basically, it's an anchored dock for shortcuts made to match your taskbar.

Mock Screenshot (http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j107/mgfxn/2lbarPublic.png)

In-depth explanation (also serves as program readme):

------

(ASCII logo)
(version)
(creators and copyright)

(version info)

General
"2lBar" (pronounced toolbar) is, in short, a second taskbar for Windows. Its design is made to mimic the taskbar you've already got on your computer, but it's function is a much fancier, larger, and more easily-accessible Quick Launch shortcuts toolbar.

Properties
Tab 1: Shortcuts
Box 1: Shortcuts
When you first load the program, the entire taskbar will be blank. To fill it up with shortcuts, you've got to check out the properties menu. First off, we've got this shortcuts dropdown menu. How does it work? Simple. You select "Add..." from the menu. First, you'll be prompted to choose a path or file - this is the directory you'll be directed to or the program/file that gets launched whenever you click on the shortcut. After choosing the path or file, you'll be asked to choose an icon (which will be resized to 10x10 in the taskbar) used to represent it. Last, you'll be asked to choose a text description. After you've loaded up all the shortcuts, you simply select them from the drop down menu one by one. If you want to deselect a shortcut or selected one you decide you don't want, just select it a second time. To reset all of the shortcuts, select "reset." To delete all of the shortcuts, select "delete all."
Box 2: Order
The shortcuts you've selected will show up here, represented now by the icon you've chosen. Now, you just click and drag icons so they're ordered however you want them to appear in the taskbar - easy!

Tab 2: Positioning
Box 1: Spacing and Rows
A small box shows where you'll enter a number. This number is the number of pixels between each shortcut. It must be at least 12 and can not exceed 36. The default, as seen in the preview image, is 24.
A second small box asks for how many rows you want it to have. This number must be at least 1 and can not exceed 4.
Box 2: Position on Screen
Four checkboxes are shown - left, right, top, bottom. Only one can be chosen and simply designates how the toolbar is positioned on your screen. If you choose the same location as your normal taskbar, it will basically replace it. Because it will only technically be hovering over your taskbar, commands like the window key and alt+tab still will work.

Tab 3: Other
Box 1: Miscellaneous Options
A check box with the text "Show system tray?" is found here. When enabled, your full maximized system tray will be shown (as in the preview).
Box 2: About
Credits, a link to send donations over paypal, and a brief description are found here.

------

Why do I come here? Only to hear the opinions of others on whether or not it should be made. Quite obviously, Windows XP isn't long for this world; when Vista takes over, it's likely that this program won't really be needed. Still, I'd like to know whether or not people would get any use out of it.
...oh, and I could also use a person or group of people to put this all together in an executable program, seeing as I don't have any skills in that area.

Lucifus
Sat, 05-19-2007, 07:14 PM
I usually don't like putting bars and the like on my desktop but that sounds pretty sweet, and I'm pretty sure I'd use it. Wonder how it would work with WinAmp playing though.

Id definatly use this.

complich8
Sun, 05-20-2007, 04:19 AM
So, basically it's ... umm ... a folder, with customizable view settings, serving as a second quicklaunch toolbar. Only with words, maybe?

This seems sort of redundant with the feature where you can drag a folder to an unoccupied edge of the desktop and let go and it'll turn into a new toolbar on that edge...

master_me
Sun, 05-20-2007, 07:40 AM
I knew you would find some way to ruin this :(

complich8
Sun, 05-20-2007, 04:10 PM
hey, if you want to reinvent the wheel, be my guest :).

master_me
Sun, 05-20-2007, 09:50 PM
Well, honestly, I was originally going to make more out of this than just another shortcuts bar. I mean, it would be almost exactly like Linux's two taskbars, except for Windows. I sort of forgot that function of Windows existed though, which really accomplishes most of what I was going for - except for skinning.