PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Internet Connection problem with Laptop

gr3atfull
Mon, 05-14-2007, 05:09 PM
Okay.

This is the first time I post in the the Help section and I hope I do it well.

My problem is my Wireless Internet connection. I started having some problems recently but I fixed my router. Now, the problem is I cannot connect to the Internet with my laptop.I can connect to the Internet with any other laptops but not mine. Every time I want to repair it, it says it is unable.

Any thoughts why?

itadakimasu
Mon, 05-14-2007, 09:37 PM
are you able to 'view available networks'? Check your wep key... maybe reset your router again...

gr3atfull
Tue, 05-15-2007, 09:19 PM
It says there is no available wireless network which isnt true. Plus, I just reseted my router. There is something wrong with the laptop but I dont know what.

itadakimasu
Wed, 05-16-2007, 10:49 AM
Try to update / install the driver for your nic card, do some googling to find what kind it is and if installing a driver for it does not work, i think that something is just wrong w\ your wireless nic.

P.S. Is there a button on your laptop that turns the wireless on and off? and/or check power management to see if your computer shuts down certain components.

animus
Wed, 05-16-2007, 06:18 PM
I'm not a expert, but go to your router ip, something like 192.168.1.1 and since I use a linksys I would go under a tab at the top that says Wireless, and there should be a thing that says Wireless SSID Broadcast - and there should be 2 options, Enable and Disable. I think having it on enable might help ya out. Other than that dunno =/

Lucifus
Wed, 05-16-2007, 06:48 PM
Well.... have you any idea what speed/channel your wireless card for your laptop is?

1. Your wireless card is dead
2. That little internet switch on the laptop could be broken and permanently frozen on off.
3. Your Wireless SSID Broadcast could be on disabled.
4. Your wireless antennas on your router could be deadZ?

I'm no expert, thats all I can come up withs....

gr3atfull
Thu, 05-17-2007, 07:45 PM
I'm not a expert, but go to your router ip, something like 192.168.1.1 and since I use a linksys I would go under a tab at the top that says Wireless, and there should be a thing that says Wireless SSID Broadcast - and there should be 2 options, Enable and Disable. I think having it on enable might help ya out. Other than that dunno =/

It did!

Thanks a lot all of you guys! I really appreciate all your help!

Buffalobiian
Thu, 04-16-2009, 05:02 AM
Hmm....this tread title is close enough to what I'm trying to ask......NECROMANCY!!

My current LAN network is like this:

Telephone cable -> ADSL2+ modem -> wireless access point (actually a wireless router with DHCP turned off) -> Laptop, 3 computers & PS3

I'm changing service providers for my internet, which will result in anywhere from 1-3 weeks of downtime. I've got 10GB on my uni connection (so I'll be keeping up with anime) in the meantime, while at home, they've sent a rental wireless USB modem with 2GB usage for home usage while it's down.

Ideally I'd like to set up internet connection sharing in XP so we can all use the net like this:

wireless internet signal-> USB device -> Laptop with internet connection sharing (ICS)enabled -> WiFi router -> other devices

Theoretically, I think it should work. One thing I'd want to do though is after configuring the laptop for ICS, is to be able to set the subnet details (IP range it gives other computers, subnet address etc). This would make things much more convenient, since only the settings on the laptop are changed. All the other computers have static IPs and subnets preassigned, so I can't be bothered to change them if I can.

Has anyone ever tried this setup? Are there any complications that I'm not aware of?

David75
Thu, 04-16-2009, 07:35 AM
You'd need to have your laptop on everytime you want to use any of the comps or the PS3...
So yes it's a problem.

By wireless usb modem, it sounds like its a 3G dongle connecting to gsm antennae?
So I guess the comp with a shared connection can't be helped, because no usb2ethernet device will do the trick I think.

To me then, the wireless router will do the job you want, this time with DHCP enabled, no? Never tried that particular combo, so I can't be 100% sure.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 04-16-2009, 08:11 AM
Yeah, the whole idea is that while they change my connection over to the new provider, I've only got a USB device (3G dongle you mentioned) to access the net with. I'll need a computer to do that, and since I want to share my connection, I'll be using ICS. Having the laptop on 24/7 isn't a problem, and I plan on doing that. My main issue was to see if I could actually configure the LAN parameters on the laptop once it becomes a DHCP server.

I might actually use my desktop, since then it means I can actually run out of the house with the portable, but for consistency's sake, I'll just say I'm using the laptop as the ICS host.

Xelbair
Sun, 04-19-2009, 02:19 PM
or you can get cheap pc to work as gateway for the connection.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 04-29-2009, 04:37 AM
Thought I'd update. The outline I had in my first post here works. It involves minimum changing of other computers' settings. That's because by default, an ICS host on XP will use (and will ONLY use) 192.168.0.1/255.255.255.0 as the local address, which matches the format of my existing Wireless LAN settings. Networks that use something like 192.168.1.1 will have some more changes to make for the machines to all work together, but it's not that big a deal.