PDA

View Full Version : Theory about Genjutsu

February
Wed, 04-18-2007, 12:44 AM
I had a theory about Genjutsu.
Here is a quick overview:
Genjutsu = Hallucinations / Illusion / Altered reality attacks
Taijutsu = Physical attacks, (Lotus, Opening gates, etc.)
Ninjutsu = Every other jutsu that doesnt fit into Genjutsu or Taijutsu. Elemental jutsus (Suiton/Katon, Medical jutsu, Kage Bunshin, Chidori, etc.)

In Naruto, they clearly classify some fighters as pure Taijutsu users (Rock Lee/ Kimimaro) or master of Genjutsu (Itachi) and so on. Although the story describes these three subdivision of jutsus as equal, are they truly balanced? (In terms of power)

I seriously believe that if you focus on learning Genjutsu, and even by disregarding Ninjutsu/Taijutsu, one can become invincible. (as proven by Itachi)
Why do I believe so? If you think about it:

No matter how strong someone is, how powerful their punch or deadly their sword is, if they dont hit you, or can't hit you (illusions) , then its no use. Therefore Genjutsu > Taijutsu

Most ninjutsus that I can think of, require some kind of physical contact with the opponent (chidori has to touch the enemy in order to hurt them / Suiton dragon has to hit the enemy / medical jutsus Kabuto used to swap senses in opponent's body also required a physical contact) So what if you are under a world of illusion and what you aim at, isnt really the opponent? You'll just waste Chakra. Even if you are fighting against Naruto who just released 4 of his tails, he cant hurt you he can't hit the right target, and he'll be in a distorted world where his senses just wont function correctly..

So I believe that Genjutsu is overpowered compared to the other jutsus and if you simply focus on training Genjutsu, you can become invincible in the Naruto world. Anyone agree?

Assertn
Wed, 04-18-2007, 12:53 AM
Most of the genjutsu shown in the series has been cancelled in one way or the other.
Sakura, Gai, and Kakashi used unseal jutsus to cancel Kabuto's sleep genjutsu. Naruto used an unseal jutsu against Itachi's finger genjutsu thing. Shikamaru and Kurenai used self-inflicted pain to get out of genjutsus. Uchihas and Hyugas can use doujutsu to see through genjutsus. Then finally, there's always the option of plain cleverness to beat a genjutsu, such as Shikamaru beating Kin or Naruto's team beating those rain genin.

Really, the only successful genjutsu I've seen so far would be some bunshin maneuvers Sakura pulled way back in the day, and of course Itachi's Tsukuyomi.

If a genjutsu succeeds, then yes it's potentially more powerful than the other two. Unfortunately though, if it fails, then its pretty much completely worthless.

In the case of tai and ninjutsus, there is no solid black and white like that.