PDA

View Full Version : Kaze no Stigma

Munsu
Sun, 04-15-2007, 03:15 PM
This looks like a cool series, hopefully the first episode will be good.

First episode released by a group called T2, hopefully English subbed:
http://tracker.anirena.com/download.php?id=572

Not much info on the series yet, all I know it's based on a light novel series by Yamato Takahiro. It's animated by GONZO.

animus
Sun, 04-15-2007, 05:10 PM
Yea, the subs are english. Just checked the OP now, I'll watch the rest later.

Edit: Uh, Shakugan no Shana flashbacks, female lead has red hair and a flame sword also but atleast she's not a loli. Yagami isn't as useless and annoying as Yuuji. Anyways, I wasn't expecting much but after watching it, it's pretty good. Gonna be looking forward to more episodes.

Chaos
Mon, 04-16-2007, 05:25 PM
Looks like Shinsen-subs decided to sub this series as well:

http://a.scarywater.net/shs/%5BShinsen-Subs%5D_Kaze_no_Stigma_-_01_%5BAB18F3AD%5D.mkv.torrent

animus
Mon, 04-16-2007, 05:38 PM
I hope Shinsen doesn't overextend themselves. They have a history of not being the fastest subbers, and they have so many new series in the works. Good thing is, that the series they're doing a couple other groups are doing as well so it won't be as bad if they get overworked (or whatever) and drop a couple series from their Active list.

AsclepiusZ
Tue, 04-17-2007, 02:03 AM
Just finished watching the first ep and its not that bad so far. Worthy of future viewing.

Darknodin
Tue, 04-17-2007, 10:50 PM
pretty good... I read the first post and thought it said that Yagami is as annoying as Yuuji... i was pleasantly surprised...

Munsu
Wed, 04-18-2007, 02:37 AM
First episode by Mendoi:
http://a.scarywater.net/mendoi/%5BMendoi%5D_Kaze_no_Stigma_-_01_%5B0138A7EB%5D.mkv.torrent

Just watched it, and this series looks pretty good, it's nicely animated too... I'll keep watching.

Munsu
Tue, 04-24-2007, 07:39 PM
2 out by Shinsen:
http://bt.shinsen-subs.org/%5BShinsen-Subs%5D_Kaze_no_Stigma_-_02_%5B5E93B26E%5D.mkv.torrent

AsclepiusZ
Tue, 04-24-2007, 07:50 PM
oh thank god...

i was starting to think no one would bring out ep 2.

Yukimura
Thu, 04-26-2007, 03:19 AM
Nice, I must say though that when Kazuma's dad brushed off his attacks like that and started channeling for his Uber Flame I got worried that Kazuma wouldn't be able to pull off the win. But goo him, he pulled it off. However, from what it looks like his dad was the best around, and Kazuma made him look like a complete fool, so it's pretty obvious that all that stands between the Kannagi and total destruction is going to be him.

Munsu
Thu, 04-26-2007, 04:11 AM
Even if they said that he was the best fire mage, I still think that the current head should be stronger... or whomever has the contract with the Fire King or whatever it is, similar to the contract Kazuma has with the Wind King (or whatever it is).

Wind seems stronger than fire so far, I wonder how the wind people are being oppressed. I mean, they can even fly, and I haven't seen a fire mage do that. And so far the Wind people have overpowered the fire mages in all the fights so far.

dark maginn
Fri, 04-27-2007, 01:12 PM
and wind mage can summon the spirit faster than the fire mage

animus
Tue, 05-01-2007, 01:48 PM
Episode 3 - Anime Yoshi (http://a.scarywater.net/animeyoshi/%5BAniYoshi%5D_Kaze_no_Stigma_-_03_%5B0A816EBA%5D.mkv.torrent)

animus
Thu, 05-10-2007, 07:35 AM
Episode 4 - Anime Yoshi (http://a.scarywater.net/animeyoshi/%5BAniYoshi%5D_Kaze_no_Stigma_-_04_%5BDEA228D0%5D.mkv.torrent)

Released a couple days ago, for those who haven't gotten it yet.

Kraco
Wed, 05-16-2007, 06:03 AM
The stronger the wind, the more dangerous the wildfire.

Episode 5 - AniYoshi (http://a.scarywater.net/animeyoshi/%5BAniYoshi%5D_Kaze_no_Stigma_-_05_%5B8382D562%5D.mkv.torrent)

I like this series so far (ep 4). While the bulk of the fire users and even Kazuma's father didn't seem so powerful, there hasn't either been totally useless people around, not even Kazuma's younger brother who fills a role not requiring much visible power. Kazuma certainly seems to kick ass big time, and I don't think we have seen Ayano's full potential either. Or at least I hope so for balance's sake. She seems to be a main character as well, after all. Other than that, her hot-headedness makes her a very funny character.

dark maginn
Wed, 05-16-2007, 03:35 PM
ayano is starting to like kazuma but she dont express it

Kraco
Wed, 05-23-2007, 06:39 AM
The game of circle and prod continues:

Episode 6 - AniYoshi (http://a.scarywater.net/animeyoshi/%5BAniYoshi%5D_Kaze_no_Stigma_-_06_%5B282F7119%5D.mkv.torrent)

animus
Wed, 05-23-2007, 08:37 AM
Been pretty good so far, a lot better than I expected it to be. The Kazuma-Ayano love-hate relationship is overused, but still it's pretty nice.

Misao's overly-stubborn personality is one of the archetypes we all know, but I hate it so much.

Kraco
Wed, 05-23-2007, 09:42 AM
The Kazuma-Ayano relationship indeed is a cliche element, but in this particular case it doesn't bother me at all for a few reasons. One factor is how cool Kazuma is. There's nothing original about his character background either, but lines like: "Does that include nightly favors?" just sell a character to me instantly.

He got kicked out of his family and the clan and while it's obvious he bears a grudge he just turned the relationship outwardly into cold business and didn't embark into any childish revenge spree. Yet still he's back in town and participates in business and cares for his brother, so under the surface he still cares. For some reason I can sympathise completely with his character.

And like I said in the previous post, I also like Ayano's character a lot because of how quick she is to act without bothering to think beforehand at all, yet afterwards she always can think if she wants. And how dishonest she has been with herself. Very cliched as well, but works really well in this series.

Aye. There's no need to invent a wheel anew if you can get the old one rolling really well.

Everon
Sun, 05-27-2007, 04:19 AM
I'm getting puzzled by this anime. How exactly do these jutsu users co-exist with normal people? The general populace seems to let them run around wildly destroying everything. Its not like these people are a secretive group either. Ayano's friend's didn't seem fazed that much by her pulling out a flaming sword.

Sorry, I don't like jumps in logic.

Kraco
Sun, 05-27-2007, 09:40 AM
Nah, this is more logical than the traditional situation where mysteriously people with special powers are living two lives, and few in the society have any idea such powers even exist. I mean, the setting of this series assumes those people have been around for ages, so it makes a lot more sense everybody knows about them than very few.

Why they are just let to run around destroying things, however, is more likely just a solution to allow nice fights. There is, after all, also the special police division apparently observing the supernatural occurrences, but they can do little about them, themselves. Or perhaps they could with tanks and attack helicopters, but those would produce even more collateral damage...

Edit:
Episode 7 v2 - AniYoshi (http://a.scarywater.net/animeyoshi/%5BAniRena%5D%5BAniYoshi%5D_Kaze_no_Stigma_-_07v2_%5B6CDC951E%5D.mkv.torrent)

Hmm... After this episode, I might understand a little better what you meant. The girl basically mass murdered who knows how many people, and didn't get punished at all. Well, you could say that's somewhat dodgy logic, even if the society didn't control how much those magical clans fight among each other. But this time it was ordinary people getting slaughtered.

Or perhaps Kazuma lied to the police and told the boy had killed the people and Misao had just been a victim in a plot. Considering Kazuma's personality, he could have done such a thing without a second thought.

Edit2: Changed the episode link to version 2.

animus
Sun, 05-27-2007, 12:10 PM
Whoops didn't see your edit.

Edit: Man, Kazuma is such a fucking pro. Glad he's the main character, asking for nightly favors again from a naked Misao.

Yukimura
Mon, 05-28-2007, 01:45 AM
Gah Ayano....her stupid attitude is so annoying it's eating away at the positive feelings I had towards anime females built up from all the ones that weren't stuck up feeling-denying twats. I can't remember the last show I forced myself to watch with a girl like this but if Kazuma wasn't so pimp I'd drop this show just over her. I can only hope that some evil guy comes along and she starts crushing on him instead so it won't interfere with Kazuma as much (...like that'll ever happen).

Everon
Mon, 05-28-2007, 05:30 AM
Think of Ayano more as a terribly love sick girl. Instead of admiting it, she kicks her love interest in the shins and pushes him down staircases...or in this case large balls of fire.

After watching Ep 7, I guess the cops are semi-involved in the case? I understand that conventional weapons suck against these guys. It seems strange that they don't have any jutsu-users of thier own.

Kraco
Mon, 05-28-2007, 06:40 AM
In some other series Ayano might piss me off, but in this series I think she actually needs to be there just like she is. If she was any other way, I doubt we would be seeing sequences like in the beginning of this ep where Ayano first attacked Kazumi in the mid-air, then got caught by Kazumi creating a traditional anime romantic scene, and finally got dropped at a safe height. And anyway, Kazumi would score too much without Ayano...

After watching Ep 7, I guess the cops are semi-involved in the case? I understand that conventional weapons suck against these guys. It seems strange that they don't have any jutsu-users of thier own.
I wonder if the powers are actually somehow tied to the clans. The main family seems to have it stronger, for the most part, and others in a much diluted form. And there certainly is a logarithmic power gap between the excellent and the regular users, so the police might be hard pressed to get anybody whose powers would really matter.

Deadfire
Tue, 05-29-2007, 08:31 AM
I guess I can stand Ayano more because I've watched too many animes with a female lead with that sort of voice. Kazumi is the man though, he truly makes this series different then most along this genre.

The one thing that bugs me about this is romantic story that's being told between the two leads. They are cousins.., and know that they are. (This reminds me of our current missing member IFHTT). That and it's that cliche element

However I'm going to continue watching...(and possibly think that they are more distant relatives)

Dark Dragon
Tue, 05-29-2007, 02:19 PM
The one thing that bugs me about this is romantic story that's being told between the two leads. They are cousins.., and know that they are. (This reminds me of our current missing member IFHTT). That and it's that cliche element(and possibly think that they are more distant relatives)

If i remember correctly, it is legal to marry your cousin in Japan.

Deadfire
Tue, 05-29-2007, 07:04 PM
If i remember correctly, it is legal to marry your cousin in Japan.

It is also legal in many states and other countries.... It still doesn't make it more right then wrong. (a redundant statement I'm aware)

Anyway I want to see the other two elements in action Earth and Water.

animus
Tue, 05-29-2007, 07:14 PM
It is also legal in many states and other countries.... It still doesn't make it more right then wrong. (a redundant statement I'm aware)

Anyway I want to see the other two elements in action Earth and Water.

Honestly, I don't think cousin to cousin marriages are wrong, though I would never do it, or marry anyone in my nuclear or extended families. That might sound hypocritical, but seeing as how me living with them as family and treating them in no other way except as a family member, would not lead me to love, at least not in that way of lovers. It could happen, but it hasn't. To be frank, I am a sap to believe that love has no boundaries even if it's something as controversial and looked down upon as incest (however which way you consider it). And no, I'm not a hillbilly, or a hick. I'm born, raised, and still currently living in NYC.

Shadow Skill
Tue, 05-29-2007, 07:17 PM
I thought cousin-cousin marriages was a normal occurence in Japan? Or am I wrong?

animus
Tue, 05-29-2007, 07:18 PM
I thought cousin-cousin marriages was a normal occurence in Japan? Or am I wrong?

They are, as well as in many other asian countries. There's also a reason why there's nothing being mentioned of it being out of the ordinary in the anime.

Yukimura
Tue, 05-29-2007, 10:45 PM
The incest taboo is more social than anything else, although it exists in some form in most human cultures studuied (research is ongoing as to why it seems so universal to frown on sibling/cousin pairin). Basically if there's something wrong with dad's (or mom's) genes and their grand kids mate, there's a better chance than random that some of the will inherit that same genetic problem. If there's nothing really wrong with with the grand parents (or there's something very desireable about the grand parents) then there's nothing scientifically 'bad' about inbreeding on a case by case basis. Problems tend to arise when a group aggressively inbreeds, as that group loses the genetic diversity nessecary to adapt well to changes.

On the flip side, if Grandpa or grandma had some awesome genes, perhaps excellent magic user genes.... then mating two grand children gives a better than random chance that a great-grandchild will inherit that gene...which sounds awesome if you have good genes...

Shadow Skill
Tue, 05-29-2007, 10:59 PM
Yet, the ones that allow it, have the highest I.Q rating out of all the countries. :P

I want Kazuma and Ayano to pair up. They both obviously have something for each other. :P

Kraco
Wed, 05-30-2007, 03:06 AM
Basically if there's something wrong with dad's (or mom's) genes and their grand kids mate, there's a better chance than random that some of the will inherit that same genetic problem.

The main problem are the numerous recessive mutated alleles which follow family lines. They are of no consequence when marrying strangers because it's unlikely they share the same genetic problems, as you fittingly described them, but when you marry someone from your family, it's almost guaranteed for some of them. And when you combine two mutated recessive alleles, you get the effect, which is often devastating.

But yeah, if there happens to be no problems, or if you suffer through enough miscarriages and keep trying, you might indeed get a perfectly healthy offspring. And moreover like Yuki said, the children of Ayano and Kazumi could become truly kickass element users due to a combination of superior genetic elements. However, they might not be able to do that inside Ayano's clan, because that racist bunch tolerates nothing but fire users, and Kazumi's genes might disagree with that.

TheBladeChild
Wed, 05-30-2007, 04:07 AM
Iv been hearing good things about this series, so im about to start it, any suggestions as to which fan-sub I should go with?

Kraco
Wed, 05-30-2007, 05:02 AM
Aye, this is one of those series that surprise you by being much better than it sounds like. AniYoshi has released so far twice as many episodes as any of the other subbers (Shinsen or Mendoi) and I see no problems in their work quality, so I'd suggest you try them at first.

It might be just me, but the episodes of this series feel quite short, even though there are no recaps or flashbacks or anything like that. They just go fast with all the action and funniness. So, it's better for you if you have a healthy pool of eps to begin with.

animus
Sun, 06-03-2007, 05:26 PM
Episode 8 - AniYoshi (http://a.scarywater.net/animeyoshi/%5BAniYoshi%5D_Kaze_no_Stigma_-_08_%5B957925BE%5D.mkv.torrent)

Edit: Man, I love Kazuma.

Deadfire
Sun, 06-03-2007, 08:54 PM
Kazuma is awesome indeed. THis ep futher makes him one of the best anime male leads this season.

Dark Dragon
Sun, 06-03-2007, 11:14 PM
I thought he stole that position when he told Misao (the girl who just tried to kill him several times) she could repent by sleeping with him.

and the preview made me happy, Earth user next episode.

Kraco
Mon, 06-04-2007, 03:25 AM
I wonder if they are going to take the relationship of Ayano and Kazuma any further than this. Traditionally in shounen shows this is pretty much as far as it goes, despite any obvious potential in the background. Still, Kazuma's qualities alone make this a bit more than your average show, so who knows - and we still have 18 episodes left, after all.

Kraco
Mon, 06-11-2007, 05:50 AM
The warming fire and the cooling wind:

Episode 9 - AniYoshi (http://a.scarywater.net/animeyoshi/%5BAniYoshi%5D_Kaze_no_Stigma_-_09_%5BD0E4D8FB%5D.mkv.torrent)

animus
Mon, 06-11-2007, 08:17 AM
Seems like he has a bit of a brother complex going on O_o. Anyways, an episode focused mostly on Ren, good thing he's turning out to be like Kazuma (which is always a good thing). Haha and I laughed hearing Kazuma's evil laughter after wanting to destroy the Earth User family. This anime kinda reminds me of Avatar the Airbender (though controllng elements is a really common theme).

Kraco
Mon, 06-11-2007, 08:38 AM
Heh, it indeed looks like Kazuma is not only a shameless pimp but has also other villainous characteristics. Which is of course all the better! Aye, you weren't the only one who was made merrier by Kazuma's bad guy laughter!

I think there are some fundamental differences between Ren and Kazuma, and wanting to save one girl isn't actually an indication at all that they would be becoming more alike. We have to remember that so far Kazuma only works for profit (money or softer and warmer profits), and I guess for his own amusement whenever it suits him. Ren, however, wanted to save the girl, and he didn't really want to fight the Earth clan gorillas more than he needed to.

To be more specific, I think Ren either doesn't quite realise what manner of a man his brother has turned into or he sees behind Kazuma's tough outer surface. I'd personally prefer the first option, because I don't want anything to tame Kazuma.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 06-15-2007, 02:41 AM
Yep, it would turn out to be boring if Kazuma suddenly turns into a mushy hero guy, though such cannot be discounted since he has acted in such a way several times in the series already, especially towards Ayano.

Kraco
Fri, 06-15-2007, 04:37 AM
Very true. However, one reason why I like this series more than its overall level of quality otherwise would permit is that Kazuma has so far acted in a way I can totally understand and sympathise with. He's not an actual villain. The very fact he came back to his old home town and didn't launch an attack tells he still cares for the people whom he lost when he couldn't become a fire user. But he has already taught them a lesson or two.

However, his vast powers allow him much indulgence, and that's of course where the fun begins (on all fronts, including Ayano). His decision to handle matters with his old clan as business was probaby for the best for both of them: It technically keeps both sides equal (morally speaking) and is a firm common ground. I don't know if Kazuma wishes to sort things out more thoroughly, but I hope not. He doesn't look like a guy who would try to change the past. Maybe he will try to change the future, though. Who knows.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 06-15-2007, 09:37 PM
He is already changing the future just by being there. If he didnt come back when he did, the fire clan would already be erased, with a monster roaming around town. I agree with your assessment on Kazuma's traits though. No one would like another twisted Light around, and unlike Lelouch, he has more than enough power to own everyone else. I just hope it doesnt go kiddy and sweet on us, and maybe instead delve into darker ground.

animus
Sat, 06-16-2007, 11:35 PM
Episode 10 - AniYoshi (http://a.scarywater.net/animeyoshi/%5BAniYoshi%5D_Kaze_no_Stigma_-_10_%5B8048B984%5D.mkv.torrent)

Yukimura
Sun, 06-17-2007, 03:24 AM
Lol @ Kazuma being extra malicious just for the fun of it, loved it. But Ren was also pretty impressive as well, he strikes me as much more competent than Ayano, certainly in brains if not also in power.

Kraco
Sun, 06-17-2007, 04:57 AM
Yeah. Ren is much more powerful than I thought, as well as competent, it seems, like you said. Hard to say how Ayano and his levels of raw power compare, though. Ayano becomes a bit witless in battles, so it's not like she could demonstrate her full potential (correction: she's actually witless all the time...).

It was good to see Kazuma's evil plans continue. As it is, this arc feels a bit disjointed, because there are so many factions: Ren trying to save the clone girl, the clone girl not wanting to be saved, possibly some internal struggle within the Earth clan, the fairies wanting their orb back, Kazuma working for the fairies but also wanting to shake the Earth clan for his own pleasure, and lastly Ayano, whose reasons are made clear in the next episode, I suppose. But it looks like it all will coalesce during the ceremony.

Hard to say how it all will end. This is a series where people also die, after all.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 06-18-2007, 02:46 AM
I dont think Ren is stronger than Ayano in terms of raw power. She has demonstrated the extent of her ability in the fight with the wind demon from before, wherein she was able to focus enough to use her power to its maximum potential and was able to greatly damage the enemy. Ren is much much smarter though, but if they ever fought, Ren will lose. I doubt a fight between two fire users will involve much strategy, and will probably be more of a test of firepower.

They also recognize her to be the strongest functioning warrior in the fire clan right now. She just has to stop being witless. (which interestingly enough, has gotten worse since Kazuma entered the scene)

BananaFob
Tue, 06-19-2007, 06:26 PM
Two ideas come into my mind here:

1) How come the Elder doesn't do any excorcism or protecting of his clan? All he does is just sit there on his pillow and drink tea.

2) I think the Elder is trying to hook up his daughter (Ayano) with Kazuma during the school-ghost arc.

rgrintz
Tue, 06-19-2007, 06:32 PM
i think he is to. it would help his clan to have someone that strong on there side.

Kraco
Wed, 06-20-2007, 02:26 AM
Indeed. Keeping that in mind, BananaFob could have also answered his own first question, himself. What better way to bond those two than to have them join in fights against common enemies, and without some old geezer by their side, distracting them from paying their full attention to each other? The old man might be as cunning as Kazuma.

shinta|hikari
Thu, 06-21-2007, 07:25 AM
Or maybe he is just trying to fulfill the role of the "wise elder" in the show, which entails that he does nothing and only "watches over" the main characters. Then again, he could just be damn lazy, and he has the right to, being the head of the clan.

animus
Thu, 06-21-2007, 07:31 AM
The guy's also pretty old, might put out his back throwing a fireball or something.

BananaFob
Thu, 06-21-2007, 02:12 PM
Ah, but the Wind Fang Clan's "Geho-sama" was a demon the Head said he was trying to prevent the whole time. If he was really serious about it, he wouldn't have let his two nephews (Head probably didn't know Kazuma was a contractor at first) and his daughter (without Godsfire) go up against a demon that Kannagi clan had barely managed to beat and went by himself to exorcise it.

Let me rephrase it:

If the Head was actually serious about the Wind Fang's demon and these other missions, he would go himself, instead of handing the responsibilities to Kazuma, Ren, and Ayano. He's Head for a reason, so he should take on the responsibilities, and not give them to the children to handle. Besides, he's not busy anyway, all he does is just sit there in his den drinking tea.

shinta|hikari
Thu, 06-21-2007, 09:28 PM
Weve only ever seen him sit there and drink tea because that is his place of interaction with the main characters. It doesnt mean he isnt doing anything else. (OMG he doesnt eat?? how does he survive!?! Get the point?)

He is the head for a reason, which means he cant just go into the frontlines and get himself hurt or killed. He may be strong, but Im willing to bet that Kazuma is stronger, since it was mentioned before that the strongest fire user was Kazuma's father (who Kazuma defeated), not the head. It doesnt matter if Kazuma was a contractor or not.Besides, their clan is following a very traditional setup, meaning that he may also be prohibited by clan rules from prancing around outside and doing missions for his men.

Kraco
Tue, 06-26-2007, 02:31 AM
The big troubles of the tiny fairies:

Episode 11 - AniYoshi (http://a.scarywater.net/animeyoshi/%5BAniYoshi%5D_Kaze_no_Stigma_-_11_%5B7751C1C9%5D.mkv.torrent)

animus
Tue, 06-26-2007, 10:32 AM
Weak episode due to the fact that there is no malicious Kazuma laughter available! Looks like Kazuma can charm old and young alike now.

Kraco
Tue, 06-26-2007, 12:17 PM
Yeah, it was a pretty weak episode altogether. Kazuma was being a nice guy through and through this time. And furthermore, nothing that exciting happened, aside from some small revelations concerning the Earth clan.

It still seems strange how Ren was stronger than Ayano even in this episode. Perhaps not in brute strength, but what use is raw power if one cannot use it or it's totally ineffective? I think they should soon give Ayano some opportunities to fight succesfully against stronger opponents. While it's kind of nice to watch cool guy Kazuma saving Ayano time after time, in the end it's only creating deeper and deeper inequality, and I don't particularly want to see the gap grow too big, because I hate useless characters.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 06-29-2007, 11:09 PM
I think they are going to give Ayano her break soon enough. The raw power type of character is quite common, and is usually the main character (you know, the one with the great potential), but since she is the support in this series, she hasnt gotten her power boost (in her case mental boost) yet. It should come soon though.

Yukimura
Sun, 07-08-2007, 10:58 PM
He's back! After a long hiatus it seems we can finally watch Kazuma whip some more Earth ass.

Kaze no Stigma - 12 - [AniYoshi] (http://a.scarywater.net/animeyoshi/%5BAniYoshi%5D_Kaze_no_Stigma_-_12_%5BD9848589%5D.mkv.torrent)

Kraco
Mon, 07-09-2007, 04:56 AM
Hmm... Somehow this episode seemed to descend a bit into mediocrity. The battle wasn't played out that well, to be honest. While Ayumi sacrificing herself was a good, if expected detail, still I don't think the rest of it was that good at all. It felt messy and directionless. And still it looked like Ren is much more powerful than Ayano.

Well, at least there were some good old Kazuma scenes in the mix. "I advise you not to do high kicks in a skirt"...

Yukimura
Fri, 07-13-2007, 02:43 AM
Kaze no Stigma - 13 - [AniYoshi] (http://a.scarywater.net/animeyoshi/%5BAniYoshi%5D_Kaze_no_Stigma_-_13_%5BADE82028%5D.mkv.torrent)

Lol, nice and light hearted. Ayano up to her old tricks of channeling her feelings into violence. And is the Shouso trying to breed them or something....wtf.

TruthofMistake
Fri, 07-13-2007, 04:38 AM
I liked this episode, although the camera scene was a little O.o. Watching her go ballistic was pretty amusing.

Xrlderek
Fri, 07-13-2007, 07:23 AM
Nice episode. Lots of funny scenes.

animus
Sat, 07-21-2007, 09:49 AM
Episode 14 - AniYoshi (http://a.scarywater.net/animeyoshi/%5BAniYoshi%5D_Kaze_no_Stigma_-_14_%5BF65DA28B%5D.mkv.torrent)

I liked this episode a lot, especially Kazuma at the end.

Darknodin
Sat, 07-21-2007, 03:58 PM
"rest in heaven"

Funny part really. Good ep, although the fight was far from the the most interesting part

David75
Mon, 07-23-2007, 01:57 AM
Just started this one, I'm at ep 10.
Didn't I would like it.

The pace is fine, I'm always so astonished when the middle of the ep arrives, the same for the end... that doesn't happen so often.

thanks

Edit: I kept up to the ep 14. Well, I hope the series keeps a serious tone... but it seems it's heading towards some comedy/love... while the interrest seems to drop a little bit. However the pace is fine.

animus
Mon, 07-23-2007, 08:07 AM
Episode 15 - Shinsen (http://bt.shinsen-subs.org/%5BShinsen-Subs%5D_Kaze_no_Stigma_-_15_%5BC221AF51%5D.avi.torrent)

David75
Mon, 07-23-2007, 09:17 AM
Well, that ep confirmed what I feared in a way, although the pace is still alright with me.

c u

Edit: I'm such an air head, forgot some other points:

They tend to do quite a lot of scene recycling. I hate this...
I dislike the "Enraiah" scene, as it is always the same, and with no real interrest.
The contractor one will also soon get on my nerves... I guess that's why I do not
like "mecha" like anime... that reminds me too much of Goldorak or Bioman, and
the silly "I'm transforming" scenes.

shinta|hikari
Tue, 07-24-2007, 04:12 AM
Well, not all mecha have repetitive transforming scenes, though I do get what you mean. I hope this show goes into a more serious arc soon, and one that exposes more about Kazuma's past.

Yukimura
Tue, 07-24-2007, 11:50 PM
The Enraiha scene is starting to wear on me as well, every time I see it I think of the Impulse Combination Sequence from GS Destiny.

But Kazuma just gets better and better.
"Don't blame me for kicking so much ass. Well, maybe you just suck."

Kraco
Thu, 08-02-2007, 04:47 AM
While I plan to archive AniYoshi's version, I got bored of waiting and watched 15 and 16 from Shinsen.

Episode 16 - Shinsen (http://bt.shinsen-subs.org/%5BShinsen-Subs%5D_Kaze_no_Stigma_-_16_%5B1F97FF85%5D.avi.torrent)

Ayano's dad is seriously trying to make them a husband and a wife, not just friends. No doubt of it after this episode. None at all. In fact, it looks like he would want little Ayanos and Kazumas as well as soon as possible...

It's also pretty clear now that Kazuma is in fact highly similar to his father. Only he didn't live some crucial years of his life under a strict discipline at the clan premises, and thus the same personality in him shows in a bit different way. But they surely are similar under the surface.

But Kazuma just gets better and better.
"Don't blame me for kicking so much ass. Well, maybe you just suck."

Heh. I had to pause the video and jump back a little to see if he really said that. He surely is pretty high on the kickass scale of all anime characters, no doubt.

Darknodin
Thu, 08-02-2007, 03:43 PM
not as good as i thought it'd be... the whole ep was more of a joke ep than anything else. i want a true rematch!

Shadowflame
Sun, 08-05-2007, 10:18 PM
Finally caught up, so I can start posting in this thread too. And yes, the line from 15 above was beyond awesome, as were the times in 16 when Genma was talking trash with his "I can kick your @$$ anytime I like, but..."

And I don't think I've been this disappointed to be caught up since Kenichi. Need more eps!

Kraco
Thu, 08-09-2007, 04:12 AM
Ahhah! Kazuma and Ayano's antics continue:

Episode 17 - Shinsen (http://bt.shinsen-subs.org/%5BShinsen-Subs%5D_Kaze_no_Stigma_-_17_%5B79D03EC8%5D.avi.torrent)

It's a good thing Shinsen is subbing this as well as AniYoshi's vacation shows no signs of ending.

Yukimura
Fri, 08-10-2007, 09:05 AM
For some reason this particular instance of a bunch of girls beating up a peeping tom just struck me as a lot more wrong than usual. Maybe it was just because he seemed so amazingly pathetic, but seriously..they broke his camera, knocked him to the ground and kicked him in the head repeatedly, and then beat him with a baseball bat...and they all seemed to feel completely righteous for doing it.

Anyway, more Nanase and Tachibana was nice, but there wasn't enough Kazuma x Ayano banter to quench my thirst. And the preview seemed to totally ignore the woman who actually made Kazuma actually stop in his tracks...I'm very curious about her now too.

Kraco
Fri, 08-10-2007, 09:23 AM
I know what you mean. I wonder if that beating scene was meant to have a more light atmosphere of girls harmlessly slapping a dude, but with the baseball club and everything it took a turn that made it feel more like one of those scenes where mafia is beating the shit out of somebody. Still, the guy was so creepy and pitiful that I didn't mind. He had it coming.

I also agree on the lack of Kazuma - Ayano interaction: This series just doesn't feel itself without it. But on the other hand, we had the indirect kiss Ayano purposefully did. It's not like she's usually at all honest with her own feelings.

Much too early to say anything about the mystery girl yet. But perhaps she's someone from the times when Kazuma had just run away from the fire clan. It would make sense that whoever helped (other otherwise interacted with) him back then could have had the greatest impact as he probably didn't have such a thick skin yet.

Yukimura
Fri, 08-10-2007, 09:31 AM
Yes he had something coming, but there's got to be a line somewhere for the vigilante punishment of creepy stalkers...and I put baseball bats on the other side of said line.

Shadowflame
Fri, 08-10-2007, 10:02 AM
I wonder if that beating scene was meant to have a more light atmosphere of girls harmlessly slapping a dude, but with the baseball club and everything it took a turn that made it feel more like one of those scenes where mafia is beating the shit out of somebody. Still, the guy was so creepy and pitiful that I didn't mind. He had it coming.Bolded for emphasis, as I felt exactly the same way. I mean, yeah, he was a sick pervert, and he very well should have been expelled and arrested (cameras in the locker room?!). But the beating made those girls lose the moral authority IMO. If he had stolen one of their bras, would they have cut off his hands?

Much too early to say anything about the mystery girl yet. But perhaps she's someone from the times when Kazuma had just run away from the fire clan. It would make sense that whoever helped (other otherwise interacted with) him back then could have had the greatest impact as he probably didn't have such a thick skin yet.
I don't know why, but I got the feeling that something deeper than what we saw there is happening, like we were only seeing it through Kazuma's eyes. It reminded me of X-2 with that little girl. I'll have to watch it again; I usually only comment about stuff after seeing it a couple of times.

David75
Fri, 08-10-2007, 10:48 AM
For the beating, nanase (I think) stated that it was impossible to have a legal action greater than 3 days out of school to prevent the girls from being exposed to the public (pics, story and so on).
So they took the direct vengence path, which this show has been about from the start... no one seems to care about national justice and so on...

Vash72
Fri, 08-10-2007, 11:31 AM
It's funny because whilst I usually don't believe in vigilante justice, I sometimes wonder if schools treat harassment of any kind as seriously as they should. I can understand why the girls were irked at a 3 day suspension for someone who had stalked and harassed them and placed cameras in their changing room………

Not to mention the possible shame of having said photo’s become public by the time the school decided to intervene. The bat was a too much, but he deserved his beating……....

Kraco
Sat, 08-11-2007, 03:48 AM
Looks like AniYoshi got back from their vacation and released episode 15. I hope they will soon catch up so that I won't need to dowload all the future episodes two times...

Episode 15 - AniYoshi (http://a.scarywater.net/animeyoshi/%5BAniYoshi%5D_Kaze_no_Stigma_-_15_%5B30A633AF%5D.mkv.torrent)

shinta|hikari
Sat, 08-11-2007, 04:05 AM
The bat was a joke. I think they used that only because they suck so much at inflicting pain that anything else would have only tickled the bastard. I mean, after being beaten by a bat he comes back after three days without any serious injury? Even a kid can kill with a bat. If they broke his legs or something, that may be too much, but they didnt.

Kraco
Tue, 08-21-2007, 02:06 AM
Unfortunately this is, along with Claymore, the series whose episodes I mostly anticipate each week. Thus, it wounds me when they are taking they their time to appear:

Episode 16 - AniYoshi (http://a.scarywater.net/animeyoshi/%5BAniYoshi%5D_Kaze_no_Stigma_-_16_%5BEC9E0174%5D.mkv.torrent)
Episode 17 - AniYoshi (http://a.scarywater.net/animeyoshi/%5BAniYoshi%5D_Kaze_no_Stigma_-_17_%5BFBD87D28%5D.mkv.torrent)
Episode 18 - AniYoshi (http://a.scarywater.net/animeyoshi/%5BAniYoshi%5D_Kaze_no_Stigma_-_18_%5BB4D3A0C1%5D.mkv.torrent)

I have been actually watching SHS releases just because of the statement I made before those links. I'll archive AniYoshi, though.

Episode 18 - Shinsen (http://bt.shinsen-subs.org/%5BShinsen-Subs%5D_Kaze_no_Stigma_-_18_%5B0D41CCC1%5D.avi.torrent)

Edit: AniYoshi's game of catch up seems to be succeeding.

Kraco
Sat, 08-25-2007, 02:27 AM
The terrible secrets of the hidden mansion:

Episode 19 - Shinsen (http://bt.shinsen-subs.org/%5BShinsen-Subs%5D_Kaze_no_Stigma_-_19_%5B7015DBB8%5D.avi.torrent)

Edit: The recent trend of lack of Ayano-Kazuma interaction just doesn't seem to lessen. That's too bad because basically this series has very little other content than Kazuma's character and that character is often at its best with Ayano around. Now we are treated just with some plot development, but honestly that's not at all where the strength of this series lies. I hope it won't continue like this for long or the shine of this show will dim.

Darknodin
Sat, 08-25-2007, 07:55 AM
I disagree... I really liked that episode (well, the end of it anyways). I don't actually think Kazuma is more interesting with Ayano around, and i actually really like Ren's character (he's a bit like Kazuma if you think about it, just a little less sure of what he should do).

Kraco
Sat, 08-25-2007, 08:31 AM
Oh, it's not like I'd have disliked this episode. It's just that the reason why I like this series so much is Kazuma being such a kickass pimp character. And obviously he and Ayano belong together.

Ren, Kazuma and their dad are all very much alike, which is an excellent detail as such. They all just have somewhat different circumstances and settings (though we know little of their dad's backstory). That difference gave them their personal nuances.

David75
Sat, 08-25-2007, 10:04 AM
At first I thought Kazuma was a little darker and had a real grudge towards his former familly.
I thought he would hold his bitter character and kick asses, having wraith and revolt inside him.
However, this show isn't heading this direction, rather it's a bit a fanservice and cheap pseudo romance with ep18 hitting the bottom with that awful girl...

I've not seen last ep as of yet, it's on my comp, but I'm still wondering if I'll watcht it. I feel a
bit betrayed from what I was waiting for after watching the few first eps. It seems I had
build ideas about this show that were totally out of tune with what I was to be.

c u

Kraco
Mon, 08-27-2007, 02:21 AM
At first I thought Kazuma was a little darker and had a real grudge towards his former familly.
I thought he would hold his bitter character and kick asses, having wraith and revolt inside him.

I'm glad he doesn't seem to be like that. Honestly, we have had enough series with bonehead immature main characters seething with rage for whatever reasons. And how does that help anything, eh? Kazuma could hate what his former family/clan did to him, but his little brother still is living happily there, and nothing seems to be more important to him. And you can't blame him. No doubt in the past he wanted to be able to live like Ren is doing now. It would be his last option to go and wreck the place and destroy Ren's life.

I feel a bit betrayed from what I was waiting for after watching the few first eps. It seems I had build ideas about this show that were totally out of tune with what I was to be.

You expectations betrayed you, not the series. I'm still happy with this, though I had hoped things would proceed further between Kazuma and Ayano, but this is a shounen show, in the end, so that's not really likely at all.

Episode 20 - Shinsen (http://bt.shinsen-subs.org/%5BShinsen-Subs%5D_Kaze_no_Stigma_-_20_%5B9AB19554%5D.avi.torrent)

animus
Mon, 08-27-2007, 07:30 AM
I must say, that it's god awfully annoying to watch Kazuma portray typical cliche-male lead niches. When he saw Tsuo Rin, I was just like this is pathetic.

Darknodin
Mon, 08-27-2007, 04:43 PM
Yea i agree... I really thought when ep 19 ended, that he would have just smiled and ripped the doll to shreds...

Kraco
Mon, 08-27-2007, 05:50 PM
While it was in a certain sense believable what happened, but still I need to agree with you. This is Kazuma we are talking about so despite the fact he was all in love with the girl in the past, still he could have acted in a different manner and not in the 100% cliched way. I guess they felt the need to underline how they had such a history together. Still, based on how #20 ended, we do have reason to believe Kazuma is still able to kick more ass than anyone else.

And I'm always hoping for more Ayano-Kazuma confrontations. They are jolly good with Kazuma humiliating Ayano to a degree yet ending up saving her. Though seeing how he's in a bit cracked state who knows what will happen.

David75
Fri, 08-31-2007, 07:08 AM
True, my expectations fooled me ;)

Ep20 was a bit bitter, so that's ok with me.
I shouldn't stop watching this show, not after 20 eps.

David75
Mon, 09-03-2007, 04:11 PM
[Q-R] released ep21 (it's a raw)
http://www.mininova.org/get/863407

Will watch it in 20 hours or so, I need to go to sleep now

Edit: Sorry, It's a raw, I wasn't cautious enough

animus
Mon, 09-03-2007, 04:45 PM
That's a raw, btw. Q-R (Quantum Raws).

Kraco
Mon, 09-03-2007, 05:42 PM
Damn... Got my hopes up and everything...

I wouldn't mind watching Kazuma kick some serious ass again, with Ayano fuming in vain.

David75
Tue, 09-04-2007, 12:49 AM
I put a warning telling it's a raw, I couldn't just erase the post after your answers. I'll be mor careful next time. Sorry.

Kraco
Tue, 09-04-2007, 02:07 AM
Well, to correct your misguided ways, Shinsen released the ep 21:

Episode 21 - Shinsen (http://bt.shinsen-subs.org/%5BShinsen-Subs%5D_Kaze_no_Stigma_-_21_%5BB4903012%5D.avi.torrent)

- - - -

Edit: Now we are back to business! Kazuma kicked ass like no other, even if the opponents were hardly worth mentioning. But it was all good because he kicked their ass no less despite them being totally defenceless before him. It's their own fault they are so weak, after all. Heh, it was also good to learn that this isn't anything new for Kazuma, either. It's a good question why he was all calmed down when he arrived at Japan at the beginning of the show, but apparently the way he is right now is exactly what he was before settling down in his old home town.

I kind of wish we would get an OVA depicting the past events in London and elsewhere where he massacred people...

animus
Tue, 09-04-2007, 10:24 AM
Him kicking ass is nice and all, but this total pissed off personality 360 that he took is kinda lame I must say even though apparently that's how he was before he came to Japan.

Yukimura
Tue, 09-04-2007, 11:57 PM
Kazuma's badassness has gone beyond epic now. At first I thought he'd be possessed or something and not in his right mind, but nope he seemed like he was completely lucid and just didn't give a fuck what got in between him and his goal. When he grabbed the second guy's head and you see just the shadow that sent chills down my spine. And then when he just destroyed that random monk with the MacDonald girl I couldn't keep from laughing my ass off, what the hell was she thinking trying to use paper on him...PAPER! Is she retarded or something?

The only downside to this situation is the idea that Ayano will somehow make him turn back. Maybe they won't go cliché and he'll stay like this until the job is done then revert back like nothing happened, but I see very little chance for that.

Kraco
Wed, 09-05-2007, 02:00 AM
The only downside to this situation is the idea that Ayano will somehow make him turn back. Maybe they won't go cliché and he'll stay like this until the job is done then revert back like nothing happened, but I see very little chance for that.

That's pretty much assured, I believe. In the end, it's not like Kazuma would like to be like this. He became a mad mage in the first place because the Chinese girl died. While it's not absolutely established why he reverted back to the "nice guy" (relatively speaking) when he returned to Japan, it's most likely partly out of his free will. Now the mockery of Tsuo Rin, Lapis, made him turn back to madness. It makes sense another girl that means much to him would in turn get him back to the light from the darkness. It's all about girls to him.

In the beginning it looked like Kazuma's motives had been about power or lack of. However, those China flashback changed the situation. He had no particular power in those shots that have been shown of him with Tsuo Rin over there. It's reasonable to believe he only sought it after Tsuo Rin was killed.

Edit: Episode 21 - AniYoshi (http://a.scarywater.net/animeyoshi/%5BAniYoshi%5D_Kaze_no_Stigma_-_21_%5B950103BB%5D.mkv.torrent)

animus
Wed, 09-05-2007, 05:12 PM
Now I remember who Kazuma reminded me of. For those of you who've played Shadow Hearts: Covenant, the protagonist Yuri seems to feel a lot like Kazuma.

Darknodin
Wed, 09-05-2007, 06:34 PM
wouldn't it be cool if he had been under a spell somehow that made him all nice and happy... and that this got nullified, and he'll end up being the series' villain?

Kraco
Wed, 09-05-2007, 06:38 PM
He's a much too strong willed person to be under such spells. He might not be entirely stabile like these past couple of episodes have demonstrated, but he's no small time crook that would be susceptible to mind-tricks.

shinta|hikari
Wed, 09-05-2007, 10:08 PM
True, unless that mind trick is something incredibly powerful that no will can resist it in the first place.

I actually think its a good idea. Some person actually casted such a spell on Kazuma, but he willingly asked for it, since he cant take how much killing he has done and he thinks he has managed to get revenge for his love (you have to admit, even cold-blooded characters tend to feel guilt, especially since Kazuma is not originally that way). Now, the spell has worn off since he realizes that his vengeance is still unfulfilled, and he goes back to his anti-hero state. Then its up to Ayano to not "bring him back", but transform him authentically this time around.

animus
Sat, 09-15-2007, 08:44 AM
Episode 22 - Shinsen (http://bt.shinsen-subs.org/%5BShinsen-Subs%5D_Kaze_no_Stigma_-_22_%5BDC067245%5D.avi.torrent)
Episode 23 - Shinsen (http://bt.shinsen-subs.org/%5BShinsen-Subs%5D_Kaze_no_Stigma_-_23_%5BFAF174CC%5D.avi.torrent)

Double release eh

Yukimura
Sat, 09-15-2007, 05:23 PM
All though episode 23 I felt like things were going to fall apart when Ayano confronted Kazuma and brought him down, but then they pulled it all together and made the confrontation actually work out extremely well. Kazuma retains his badassness and Ayano gets to think she's better than him for about 5 seconds.

Yukimura
Mon, 09-24-2007, 09:54 AM
Kaze no Stigma - 24 - [AniYoshi] (http://a.scarywater.net/animeyoshi/%5BAniYoshi%5D_Kaze_no_Stigma_-_24_%5B73262BC0%5D.mkv.torrent)

Shadowflame
Mon, 09-24-2007, 10:13 AM
Kazuma retains his badassness and Ayano gets to think she's better than him for about 5 seconds.
And that's the most important thing there is!

I also thought they pulled this part off pretty well. Ayano was priceless. And Kazuma's ready to rock it. I have good hopes for this episode, and I'll check it out after work.

Kraco
Mon, 09-24-2007, 11:05 AM
A pretty good ending. The greater story really didn't end up being that remarkable, in fact it was quite light and flimsy, even with the whole history and dead ex-girlfriend element. They were, after all, only details while the main plot should have been Burnhart and his plots. Even with the uber demon prince summoning (what was the point of that anyway?) the main plot remained next to nonexistent. So, in retrospect it's now safe to say this show was all about Kazuma kicking ass and nothing else. And in that it certainly succeeded.

The main story ending left the gate wide open for a sequal. I wouldn't mind seeing one.

http://img158.imageshack.us/img158/34/kazumaslapayanoky9.jpg
Kicking is fortunately not the only thing Kazuma can do to an ass...

animus
Mon, 09-24-2007, 03:32 PM
I have to say I'm really disappointed they never introduced Suijutshi's (?) into the mix.

But yeah, I wouldn't mind a second season, and it leaves a lot of room for one. And that asspat was a good one.

Yukimura
Tue, 09-25-2007, 12:33 AM
@Kraco: The best part of that scene, he really doesn't even push her hard, she actually jumps into the water for him because he's just that awesome.

Anyway, plot? what plot? I was a litle miffed about the complete lack of closure with the Burnheart (I usually watch the Shinsen releases so seeing the names translated different was a bit weird) situation and Kazuma's past, but I guess the comment he made about accepting his past and focusing on the present was supposed to imply he just doesn't care anymore. That's the Kazuma we know and love, just dropping random things on a whim because they bore him. Second Season would be welcome, but even without one it was a fun show to watch.

Shadow Skill
Wed, 09-26-2007, 01:19 AM
I don't understand the ending. I expected more than that...

KrayZ33
Fri, 09-28-2007, 08:26 AM
hmmm episodes 15-21 are broken for some reason... i downloaded them twice from aniyoshi but they still "lag"

and shinsen-sub stopped uploading them..
can anyone help me?

Kraco
Fri, 09-28-2007, 10:03 AM
Hmm... I didn't notice any lag. Are you sure you had enough free CPU time when trying to play them?

KrayZ33
Fri, 09-28-2007, 12:19 PM
yes every anime-episode and every game went fine excpet 15-21....

however i just found every episode from shinsen sub but for some reason there is no episode 15 8[

at the moment i try to download it again but from a different tracker.... maybe that works.

edit: nope aniyoshi ones are broken :( if i watch the timer from my vlc player it goes like

00:02/24:44 -> 00:04/24:44 -> 00:03/24:44 -> 00:06/24:44 its annoying

but well if someone googles long enough he can find everything!... just found episode 15 xD

Yukimura
Fri, 09-28-2007, 03:27 PM
Did you try the aniyoshi releases in other media players besides VLC?

AbstractTheorem
Fri, 09-28-2007, 11:02 PM
Use something other then VLC Media player. VLC is a great concept, but its very... picky about how the video file is put together when it reads it (by put together I mean the container format (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_container_formats))

Media Player Classic and FFDShow are my personal favorite to use.. but mostly because I am just used to using them.

If I were you I would download the Combined Community Codec Pack from here http://www.cccp-project.net/ (http://www.cccp-project.net/)

It includes Media Player Classic and everything else you need to watch stuff on your computer.

KrayZ33
Sat, 09-29-2007, 10:20 AM
well actually it was the first time this happened and i allrdy downloaded that codec pack :P but its no problem as i said before ive got them from shinsen subs now, so everything is allright..

oh, wait a sec... im so stupid... it works perfectly fine on media player classic

doh'
it was all in vain, noooooooooooooooo.....

Buffalobiian
Tue, 12-11-2007, 12:27 AM
So which group is better after watching the entire series? Yoshi or Shinsen? I had always thought Shinsen were a decent quality group.

Kraco
Tue, 12-11-2007, 02:56 AM
That's a tough question for this show, I suppose. I watched multiple episodes from Shinsen when they were released sometimes earlier than the AniYoshi ones, and generally speaking there's not that much quality difference one way or another. However, two things that differ are: AniYoshi uses modern encoding while Shinsen still has xvid only for this show. This is essentially why I picked AniYoshi for archiving. The other thing is that some of the names were translated/transliterated better in the Shinsen version (minor characters, though), which is why the Shinsen names were oft used more in this thread.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 06-26-2008, 06:11 AM
Well, thanks for that Kraco. I just powered through this series, and seeing Kazuma kick ass on a daily basis is indeed awesome. I'll just second everybody else's opinions and hope for a second season.

Archangel
Wed, 09-30-2009, 09:53 PM
An enjoyable series, not the best in terms of plot but the main character was awesome enough to make up for it

I mean seriously, even in the final episode when any other hero would go for the kiss, he goes for the ass grab, that's like the pinnacle of awesome

I'm adding this guy to my GAR list with Kamina and Archer

A shame we probably won't ever get a second season with the novel author dying last July