PDA

View Full Version : User submited/Mod made resource Downloads?

Deadfire
Fri, 04-13-2007, 01:27 PM
Here is a idea for you all to think on. What about a section of the forums like our gallery for download resources for example

CCCP
Utorrent
Windows tweaks
Photoshop Resources (for our artists)
etc

I would like to know the thoughts on the matter and how much really GW needs something like this.

Lucifus
Fri, 04-13-2007, 05:37 PM
I say thats an excellent idea.
Patterns/Brushs/Text etc. etc. right here on ?Gotwoot would be sick.

RyougaZell
Fri, 04-13-2007, 10:19 PM
It would encorague me to get a photoshop if I found resources here. Good idea.

Assassin
Fri, 04-13-2007, 11:18 PM
sounds intrestnig. though i'll hold judgement till we hear something from comp regarding this plans feasibility. I should mention though, a download section will increase the numebr of stupid/misplaced questions regarding said downloads.

For example, topics suchs as "my *insert program here* wont work? can sum1 hlp?" in the naruto section.

Raven
Sat, 04-14-2007, 05:04 AM
I'll play Devil's Advocate and suggest that this may lead to many forms of illegal downloading, which I believe is something that Gotwoot frowns upon. We'd have to police it pretty strictly.

complich8
Sat, 04-14-2007, 10:50 AM
I'm not really sure what sort of scope this would have. Like, are you talking about us hosting these things? Or are you talking about like a resource links section that just links to them?

I'm not going to play unofficial CCCP/utorrent mirror. They do a good enough job distributing their stuff to simply link to. I'm also not going to host proprietary software that we can't legally distribute. If you want to do photoshop tutorials and such, I'd think you'd be able to use the fanart section for that. Custom photoshop patterns/brushes/etc (as lucifus was saying) would be fine, as long as they were made by the submitter or freely available.

Either way, it sounds like work for me, and my work queue is backed up about 3 weeks right now. I think you need to refine the vision, focus and scope of what you're suggesting.

master_me
Mon, 04-16-2007, 07:01 PM
I'll play Devil's Advocate and suggest that this may lead to many forms of illegal downloading, which I believe is something that Gotwoot frowns upon. We'd have to police it pretty strictly.

Excuse me if I'm wrong, but isn't downloading licensed anime considered illegal? :p

As for the resources: I'm not sure if I could see Photoshop Resources, seeing as how this site is dedicated to fansubbing over art - besides, how hard is it to browse DeviantArt or something? It would likely be useful for newcomers to be able to find links to software concerning torrenting, anime, subbing, codecs, or media players, but I can't see much outside of that.

Lucifus
Tue, 04-17-2007, 01:18 PM
I guess its not something terribly needed. It would be kool, but it would also take a bit a work to get going. So whats gonna happen to this suggestion?

KitKat
Thu, 04-19-2007, 11:21 AM
[pet peeve]Our gallery would be a much better resource for renders and pictures if people actually included tags and descriptors with their images to make the database searchable[/pet peeve]

I can't see offering downloads as something that would fit well with gotwoot. As master_me pointed out, it's just as easy to link things for people to download.

master_me
Sat, 04-28-2007, 10:36 AM
omfg. So this issue is probably dead now, but I got a great idea; why not make a guide for art in the art forum? I did this on another forum and it turned out well, so I can't see why not to do this. Anyone else for it?
To be specific, I mean a quick rundown on most aspects of Photoshop and links to software/resources.

This would probably work for other forums as well :)

Lucifus
Sat, 04-28-2007, 11:58 AM
HellZ, i'd be all up for that. It would definatly get more artists hooked on Photoshop.
I was also thinking of having a thrid party site like Spiegel-Kuns site for an organized collection of tutorials etc. etc.

Deadfire
Sat, 04-28-2007, 12:27 PM
I'd be willing to design and host a site that just that if we wish. However to but forward that effort I wish to know how popular that idea is

Lucifus
Sat, 04-28-2007, 12:38 PM
We could probably get some stuff out of Kage, myself, master me, KitKat and a bunch of others if we can talk em into it. I'm all for it.

master_me
Sat, 04-28-2007, 09:09 PM
Actually, I'd love to do the site design :)
We could make it a general tuts site, actually - we could be famous!

Me and another person so far have a long line of graphics site and we're thinking about doing a CNet kinda' thing with them all. This could be a part~

Lucifus
Sat, 04-28-2007, 09:40 PM
I'm all for it.

Just to let everyone know though, outside of Photoshop I'm useless. :(
My schools also useless(which i'm pissed @), so I'm going to self teach myself as webby stuff as I can manage.