PDA

View Full Version : So I joined the Military...

Deadfire
Wed, 04-11-2007, 12:13 AM
As some of you know, I myself have finished school for ever and launched myself into the job world with a head full of dreams. I applied at a few places and got a little of promise however nothing really came out of it or anything. I went to Montreal for a trip for about 4 days it got me thinking on what I really wanted to do as a job and such.

It wasn’t till the ride home I was talking to a (cute) girl from New Zealand who was on an exchange program in our Air force that I got in to thinking about it. We chatted about it but I really didn’t think much into it.

The next day I woke up to me still thinking about it, I couldn’t stop thinking about it. I thought about the pros and cons about it and when thought them. Looking though the list of positions I found almost the prefect one for me

http://www.forces.ca/v3/engraph/jobs/jobs.aspx?id=291&bhcp=1

Looking at that I came up with a list

Pros

Job Experience
Education
Pay (Start: $30K/yr After 5 Yrs: $50K/yr)
Pension
Travel
Everything I need is taken care of (Housing and food)

Cons
I could be killed in a war my country didn’t start, nor will end. (Canada is a peacekeeping nation)
I start with basically nothing, and will only be finally posted at my official job in about 2 years. (It appears there is a lot of training involved in the position I wish to get.)
My Job requires me almost to be in combat (About 80%, so I’m told)

Looking at these I decided it was worth the shot at doing something with my life. I had been part of Army Cadets for 7 years, so I had a taste of what to expect. So I went down and got myself signed up (However I’m missing a few things which I will have into them tomorrow)

I want also everyone’s thoughts on this be it good or bad I want to prepare myself to do not do this.

~DF

Kraco
Wed, 04-11-2007, 02:10 AM
Good luck! Give 'em bastards some serious deadfire once you get to the hot spots!

I've known some people who are/were employed by the military here and also in the US (different people), and they all seem pretty happy with their choices. So, you aren't going to get any "bad call" lamentations from me. And I doubt comm personnel are going to get too close to the actual fighting in your army. Of course anything can happen, but the chances are you won't be the one taking AK-47 fire or receiving hand grenades without pins and handles.

The only drawback here is that this is likely going to take you away from Gotwoot more than a civilian job...

Yukimura
Wed, 04-11-2007, 08:24 AM
Wow Deadfire, I didn't think you'd actually do it. But good luck and take care of yourself if you get deployed (which probably won't happen for a while). I'm sure we'll all miss you if you end up stuck somewhere with no internet for a while for training though.

The only advice I can think of is...follow directions and try not to smile too much.

Winged Dancer
Wed, 04-11-2007, 08:46 AM
Wow.
Now this is kinda shocking.

Well, no "don't!" from me. I'm a realist; I don't completely like armed forces but I realize they're needed - very needed! - in this world.

But it's still very strange for me... this is the first time I've met someone who willingly joins the army. I guess I can understand it, as the pros you listed didn't sound bad, and Canada is a pretty peaceful country so with some luck you won't be in many dangerous situations. (or at least that's the image Canada has, could be wrong?)

I wouldn't count the two-years training as a con, by the way. It sounds lenghty, yeah, but you'll learn a lot. By the time you're done with just the training, you'll probably be among the best in your area... at least in my country, it's common knowledge that military people are usually the best engineers, surgeons, trainers, planners and advisors.

So, my final thoughts? Go ahead. Sounds like a great opportunity, evenmore so because you chose it, instead of just being drafted.

Afterthoughts - post a pic of yourself in uniform as soon as you can! Me loves men in uniforms!

Psyke
Wed, 04-11-2007, 09:02 AM
As some of you might realise I have a military career as well. It's not just about weapons and jungle warfare on the tactical level, but actually more on psyops on the operational and strategic levels. It does have a lot of pros and cons to consider about, as I'm constantly asking myself whether this is the best for me as well.

In the end, I think it's still a pretty much rewarding career. Training as a cadet gave me a lot of insights into how valuable and yet fragile life is, and I've become a better person through opportunities in leadership and management only the military can offer.

So, for those who only see a career in the military as one who fights in war and goes around holding M16s, it's really not, and there is whole spectrum of different job and learning opportunities within its doors.

Good luck on your new found career DF, and do post pics!

yallo
Wed, 04-11-2007, 11:05 AM
To be honest, I don't really have the best of impressions of a career in the military. Mainly because I've come across high-ranking officers who treat their men like dogs with no respect, and yet there's nothing anyone can do about it because in the military, having the higher rank simply beats all reasoning.

But I wish you best of luck in your chosen career. :) The job description doesn't sound like one that requires you to kick down doors and wave around machine guns, but more intellectual (electronic warfare?) kinda position, so I guess it can't be that bad.

Would you get to choose which service (Army, Navy, Airforce) to go to? Can't imagine being holed up in one tiny dark room on a ship, getting all sea-sick but still forced to analyse some obscure signal, that'd be terrible heh.

Inazuma
Wed, 04-11-2007, 11:12 AM
Deadfire, I would think you would good at the CiC.
No bullets, screens, coms and headache.

"
- Sergent Deadfire why is there a manga like wallpaper on the Tactical Command display ? You tell me know how I can visualize the battelfield like that ....
- But sir it's ... Saber ... It's ... she can save us all you know she'll come and ...
- Brig ... now ...
"

Assertn
Wed, 04-11-2007, 11:30 AM
Well, most of this had been discussed with me and some others over IRC, but basically....

1) Make sure it's something you actually want to do, and not just something that's convenient for you due to the lack of any other opportunities your town is offering you. (Many people seem to join for this reason)

2) Make sure it's the fastest way to realizing whatever your true career goals are. The military doesn't offer too much lee-way for relevant potential growth unless it's specifically for something like getting into political/government type work.

3) Make sure it's a good fit for your personality. I myself have little patience with the type of commitment that I can't back out of. I get too antsy staying on one path, and so something like a long-term military career would probably drive me insane.

Psyke
Wed, 04-11-2007, 11:42 AM
I checked out the site DF linked to, and it seems more of a technical job, which is also good as it gives you to chance to build up some experience which might be valuable in the private sectors, such as defence science or engineering.

On a separate note, the Singapore Armed Forces focuses a lot on recuitment drives. Just look at some of the commercials. They always make me feel "patriotic" and want to sign on (if I haven't already)....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMSPTVApgZs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5rvx8mZJi4

mage
Wed, 04-11-2007, 01:30 PM
On a separate note, the Singapore Armed Forces focuses a lot on recuitment drives. Just look at some of the commercials. They always make me feel "patriotic" and want to sign on (if I haven't already)....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMSPTVApgZs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5rvx8mZJi4
American military commercials try to make it seem like you get super powers just by joining by showing things like a guy climbing a sheer cliff bare handed with no ropes, etc.

This begs the question: What super power will DF get by joining the military?

gr3atfull
Wed, 04-11-2007, 01:49 PM
Wow.... I never expected that coming....

Well.... If this is want you really want, then I am happy for you and I hope you will be successful and happy in the future! If you join the army because you cant find a job that you enjoy in your town, I recommend changing town. Like moving to Calgary.... It seems all the jobs are there.

Good luck! And I hope you wont be sent to Afghanistan......

Deadfire
Wed, 04-11-2007, 02:27 PM
I've known some people who are/were employed by the military here and also in the US (different people), and they all seem pretty happy with their choices. So, you aren't going to get any "bad call" lamentations from me. And I doubt comm personnel are going to get too close to the actual fighting in your army. Of course anything can happen, but the chances are you won't be the one taking AK-47 fire or receiving hand grenades without pins and handles.

The only drawback here is that this is likely going to take you away from Gotwoot more than a civilian job...

The Canadian Military is trained be be basically anything that is needed at a time. Because of the lack of personal soldiers are expected to perform any position that is called for. So it is possible I will be more then just a comm person. Me being taken away from Gotwoot was expected with any major job I would get. This one more so then others, but I will still be in contact with you all.

Wow Deadfire, I didn't think you'd actually do it. But good luck and take care of yourself if you get deployed (which probably won't happen for a while). I'm sure we'll all miss you if you end up stuck somewhere with no internet for a while for training though.

Thats another thing about this as well, I didn't expect to follow this path. I thought about be fore I started school, but I figured I should try to get a real job. It's one of those things I thought had nothing for me and I would find something better somewhere else. The more I think about it the more it seems clear that this path would be the best for myself.

Wow.
Now this is kinda shocking.

Well, no "don't!" from me. I'm a realist; I don't completely like armed forces but I realize they're needed - very needed! - in this world.

But it's still very strange for me... this is the first time I've met someone who willingly joins the army. I guess I can understand it, as the pros you listed didn't sound bad, and Canada is a pretty peaceful country so with some luck you won't be in many dangerous situations. (or at least that's the image Canada has, could be wrong?)

I wouldn't count the two-years training as a con, by the way. It sounds lenghty, yeah, but you'll learn a lot. By the time you're done with just the training, you'll probably be among the best in your area... at least in my country, it's common knowledge that military people are usually the best engineers, surgeons, trainers, planners and advisors.

So, my final thoughts? Go ahead. Sounds like a great opportunity, evenmore so because you chose it, instead of just being drafted.

Afterthoughts - post a pic of yourself in uniform as soon as you can! Me loves men in uniforms!

I myself is a realist as well. I like to see things as they are and their effects to me. When I was thinking about it those thoughts came up of what I would do and how. I saw that this was something that was needed by not only myself, but for my community as well my country. Canada's military is known to be UN's Peace keepers, they have been deployed everywhere, which is a mixed blessing. Our forces are in demand and are known to be highly trained, however with our forces being as small as they are most soldiers are deployed for most of their careers. I see that, and made peace with it.

Another point is yes I'm doing this on my own free will. Not because of really anything forcing me to do it. My family has had not many soldiers at all and those it did have aren't ones I personally know. My family supports me though, and never really tried to tell me to look at other things. They as much as I see that I'm needed in this career for not for only the country, but myself to advance myself.

The length of training I agree it is needed to be that long. It is also going to make me ready for the real world some more past my current level of education. That will make me very valued in a workplace after my service. (That is if I only serve the manitory 5 years)

As some of you might realise I have a military career as well. It's not just about weapons and jungle warfare on the tactical level, but actually more on psyops on the operational and strategic levels. It does have a lot of pros and cons to consider about, as I'm constantly asking myself whether this is the best for me as well.

In the end, I think it's still a pretty much rewarding career. Training as a cadet gave me a lot of insights into how valuable and yet fragile life is, and I've become a better person through opportunities in leadership and management only the military can offer.

So, for those who only see a career in the military as one who fights in war and goes around holding M16s, it's really not, and there is whole spectrum of different job and learning opportunities within its doors.

Good luck on your new found career DF, and do post pics!

I was a cadet for 7 years when I was 12 to 19. During that time it showed me that as well. You become a better person, and you get things about life and social interaction at a young age that some even when they are adults don't get. Part of the reason to join the forces is to gain those things that will not only help you in the forces but in the real world as well.

To be honest, I don't really have the best of impressions of a career in the military. Mainly because I've come across high-ranking officers who treat their men like dogs with no respect, and yet there's nothing anyone can do about it because in the military, having the higher rank simply beats all reasoning.

But I wish you best of luck in your chosen career. :) The job description doesn't sound like one that requires you to kick down doors and wave around machine guns, but more intellectual (electronic warfare?) kinda position, so I guess it can't be that bad.

Would you get to choose which service (Army, Navy, Airforce) to go to? Can't imagine being holed up in one tiny dark room on a ship, getting all sea-sick but still forced to analyse some obscure signal, that'd be terrible heh.

Ya I ran into that alot as a cadet as well. Some people though like the real world will be like that. There is in almost every workplace leadership that can't lead. People are always also jealous of those that can do things they can't. It's a part of life that hardships like that will exist.

My career means I work with any of the 3 elements. I prefer Air and Ground (I hate ships and other navy like things) I will be deployed as the army sees fit.

Deadfire, I would think you would good at the CiC.
No bullets, screens, coms and headache.

The CiC have to do all those things still if you think about it :P

Well, most of this had been discussed with me and some others over IRC, but basically....

1) Make sure it's something you actually want to do, and not just something that's convenient for you due to the lack of any other opportunities your town is offering you. (Many people seem to join for this reason)

2) Make sure it's the fastest way to realizing whatever your true career goals are. The military doesn't offer too much lee-way for relevant potential growth unless it's specifically for something like getting into political/government type work.

3) Make sure it's a good fit for your personality. I myself have little patience with the type of commitment that I can't back out of. I get too antsy staying on one path, and so something like a long-term military career would probably drive me insane.

1) It is something I've always thought about doing. I just thought that maybe I could avoid doing it as I would get a better position else where.

2) In 5 years when my manitory term ends I will have more skills then I would if I took university for 4 years and worked for a year. Having 5 years in the forces doing exact what I want a carreer in and have training during all of it looks alot better on a resume. So I'm told anyway. Regardless it gives me everything to be basically set for life

3) As a cadet I found out quickly I like structure. I like having a day that I knew what was going to happen, when and how. I also found that in different things I could apply my own personal way of doing things. After the first two training stages (13 weeks basic, 48 weeks advanced) I will be able to select to take other courses as well as positions relating to already what I know and like doing.

Wow.... I never expected that coming....

Well.... If this is want you really want, then I am happy for you and I hope you will be successful and happy in the future! If you join the army because you cant find a job that you enjoy in your town, I recommend changing town. Like moving to Calgary.... It seems all the jobs are there.

Good luck! And I hope you wont be sent to Afghanistan......

That was another thought I had when looking into this. In canada however I've found that the jobs I wish to apply for are already flooded by others that already have connections. I myself have no connections, and on that note then the States would be the best option

However The states from canada, would require me to get a employment visa and a company that is willing to basically support a greenhorn like myself for a year. Not something alot of companies are willing to do. That and any credit to my name would be reduced to zero.

and pictures will of course be given :P

Carnage
Wed, 04-11-2007, 03:52 PM
Good luck and hang in there :)

Board of Command
Wed, 04-11-2007, 04:00 PM
I thought about joining the reserves last summer with a friend but that didn't happen.

Inazuma
Wed, 04-11-2007, 04:42 PM
Get your ass into a M109A6 at least you'll far away from moujhadins
I do know Land Force Command got some and if you'r lucky your boss will ship your ass here in france for some interarmy training and I will offer you a drink anywhere in Paris.

woofcat
Thu, 04-12-2007, 10:41 AM
Velox Versutus Vigilans

Keep up the good work DeadFire. Don't wind up dead.

darkshadow
Thu, 04-12-2007, 01:21 PM
Well.... I said most I needed to say in irc, but ill just repeat myself by saying, if you do get deployed.. have fun and stay alive. =D

Assassin
Thu, 04-12-2007, 02:10 PM
try not to kill any of our own guys.....and dont let them find out that you're secretly a communist :p

Death BOO Z
Thu, 04-12-2007, 03:27 PM
well, I've checked a little the job desprication, it seems a bit like my officer's training on strearoids...
GRC, VRC, PRC, radio link, SSB, air waves, ground waves, DV circle, Ip adress, army network... and lot's more.
it's intersting, i'll tell you that.
but still, going to the military is a big desicion, I don't know how things work over there at Canada, but I guess that it's nearly imppossible to quit in the middle, which is both good and bad...

the most important thing, if you can, is to try and talk to people who have done this before, I'm sure that if you show some serious intrest, they'll send you some officer to speak with you and try to motivate you...

Zinobi
Thu, 04-12-2007, 11:42 PM
so...what youre saying is...Canada has a military? That comes as more of a surprise to me than Deadfire joining said military.

Spiegel
Fri, 04-13-2007, 12:29 AM
so...what youre saying is...Canada has a military? That comes as more of a surprise to me than Deadfire joining said military.

Yes they have a military, You saw the South Park movie! They killed the Baldwins! And Congratulations Deadfire, I am sure you chose this because you know this is what you want to do with your future. Personally it is not for me but I can respect any man that is willing to go do that for their country.

Paulyboy
Fri, 04-13-2007, 04:41 PM
I didn't know there was a thread like this. I joined the Navy man, I am entering as an operation Specialist which deals with computers and radars. Going to boot camp October 10th and graduating as an E-3 because I've been in J ROTC for 4 years, minimum is 3. while I am on board im taking college classes for free which comes with the benefits of joining Navy and me dieing is slim to none all Navy does is patrol the sea's but you know shit can happen. All you have to worry about is being anally raped but that won't happen if your not a bitch.

SK
Sat, 04-14-2007, 09:19 PM
Yeah the military can be a good field, I give it a plus.

dragonrage
Mon, 04-16-2007, 09:36 PM
good luck, godspeed, and make sure that you don't allow your drill sgt to rip you a new one, that is our job.

Seriously man be save. Hope that you don't get posted off too war, that would really suck.

KitKat
Tue, 04-17-2007, 02:18 PM
Well DF, I know you've been wanting to hear my opinion, so I've been thinking about this and gathering my thoughts, so as not to say anything rash or hasty.

Deciding what to do with your life is a fairly important decision, that will shape who you are and determine many of your future paths. Some people randomly drift to whichever path seems good at the time, but these decisions should be given a lot of consideration. I know that you have been thinking a lot about this, and that you have the support of your family and friends, which is important.

To be honest, I wasn't a supporter of the military at all for quite a long time. The turning point for me was when I went to see a talk by Romeo Dallaire, who was the head of the UN forces in Rwanda during the genocide, who could have stopped it, but was ordered to stand by and not interfere. I started to realize that in order for developing countries to grow, and for standards of life to improve, there has to first be peace and safety. I wish there wasn't a need for military forces to be used, but sometimes it's the only way. A military can either be used to oppress, kill and destroy, or to protect and build. I don't envy those in military positions. It's an overwhelming responsibility, and knowing that the lives of others rest in your hands is a frightening thing.

To you, DF, I want to say, don't make light of this responsibility. Even in the lowliest military position, you will have an impact on the lives of others around you. Never let go of your integrity. Even in the bleakest situations, be a person who will protect others and uphold justice. Don't compromise on what you know is right. This is my hope for you. No matter what, I'll be standing behind you. Know that wherever you end up, there will be a KitKat praying for you.

Deadfire
Fri, 04-20-2007, 02:19 PM
:)

Thanks to all of you for your support of my decision. It really makes me feel better about what I may do. In the short time I've been on gotwoot for everyone to react this way really makes me feel good about supporting and helping these forums :)

My Tests were made today on may 2nd I will be taking 3 exams. If I pass I will be a part of the forces and have my travel orders.

I will post the answers to the interview questions when I can find them to see want I can improve.

Thanks again

Psyke
Sat, 04-21-2007, 09:08 AM
Good luck! And be careful about posting about military related information on the net. I know people who accidentally talk about "classfield" information online and get themselves into trouble. Better safe than sorry. :P

Deadfire
Tue, 05-22-2007, 01:29 PM
Well a update is needed

I have passed all exams needed to join, now I am put on the waiting list for training which the earliest is august. So Gotwoot can be graced by me for most of the summer!

However I this is bad too ..as I still have to work at Best Buy :(

Kraco
Tue, 05-22-2007, 01:58 PM
Ganbatte, DF!

Death BOO Z
Tue, 05-22-2007, 06:02 PM
Wow, Aug 07...
that makes you somewhat of my grandson.. remind me to hand you over some Werther's Original candy if i ever meet you (military joke, at least around here).
so, do you have any idea of trainning routine?
or for that matter, where is it taking place? how long will you be abscent each time? how many hours of sleep will you be getting each night?

NM
Tue, 05-22-2007, 06:14 PM
DF, I never posted in here but I also wanted to let you know that I support your decision. If you feel that joining the military is something you need to do to fill up a gap in your life, then by all means, you should adhere to it. It's your life and no matter what I or anyone on this forum or in real life say, its your decision that counts the most. I know you're gonna give it your all if you get sent off somewhere but try and be safe also. Just remember that we're all here for ya man! :cool:

Deadfire
Tue, 06-05-2007, 12:01 PM
Thanks NM it really means something when the people that have meant me and discussed things with me to give their total support to a person they hardly know past the text I type.

I've been confirmed my position today

Career: Communicator Research Operator
Element: Air Force (heh...fly boy)
Training starts: August 20th 07
Where: Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu, Quebec, Canada
Contract: Min 4 years (with a offer of a 25 year contract after)

Assassin
Tue, 06-05-2007, 04:30 PM
hmm, nice....i've always prefered the air force to the army or navy myself. Seems you'll most likely be aboard an aircraft carrier, which is kool cuz all the crazy stuff that happens in movies usually happens aboard aircraft carriers.

If you're gonna be driving to quebec in august, stop by southern ontario for a day

Iridani
Thu, 08-02-2007, 01:48 PM
Well then, everyone's taken all the good stuff to say already about this. Darn. Better late for me to come in and have my word than never though right?

I know I don't know you yet as well as I could or probably should, but hey, I still worry about those I care about regardless. Anyway, on to what I wanted to say. Just come home safely even if it's not in the "zone". (It may be a tad hard to fit me in the suitcase ya know?)

If you don't... I'll kick your ass five ways... is that understood?

I'll miss you "Fly Boy"!

Yukimura
Thu, 08-02-2007, 05:12 PM
They let Canada have Aircraft Carriers now?!?! What has the world come to.

Animeniax
Thu, 08-02-2007, 10:59 PM
It's in prep for the US taking over. We want all the valuable natural resources available in Saskatchewan.

?igma
Fri, 08-03-2007, 05:34 AM
There's only one remedy against joining the Army..watch Jarhead ..understand the message and understand that nothing changed. Except for being shot to death oO

Deadfire
Tue, 01-27-2009, 01:27 PM
Nerco posting out of the depths of the void.

Looking like it's been a long time since I posted anything on this matter, it may be best that I do.

Warning my personal thoughts are on this post. They may shock you, make you feel uncomfortable, and may result with meanings that I may have not wanted to be portrayed.

Basic

Basic was in some cases what I thought it would be. At first you get the feeling that you are starting something grand, and they are beating it into you. The people that are training have been there, they know that they are training these people to one day go out and get shot. Strict rules in place, Stress about the little things, Silence that is needed most times to listen. You are treated like you should be, a person that needs to be remoulded from a person that doesn't understand nor care, to a person that has to. There were many events that relied on your ‘will’ to do it. Things were not going to get better; you needed to understand that, you needed to understand that regardless, you must continue. Thinking back to it there were many times that I felt weak, useless, unable to do even the most basic things. This is where you learn that other people are needed to not feel that way. Together with those people that share the same feelings, you could go on. You lose that bit of yourself that told you that you alone are better then anyone else.

Finishing Basic left me more understanding of my place, it was not one to heroically run toward victory; it wasn't one that focuses on the background of the conflict. You are part of a grand device, and if you should fail, it may cause the action that is grave. Personal glory was something to fear more then to encourage. However there is still the feeling that if I do better I can make things better.

PRETC

After I said good bye to those fellows that I may never see again, I had hoped to continue to my next phase, to continue what was started. However I was greeted with something basic didn't prepare me for.

PRETC, stands for Post Recruitment Education Training Centre. However the name is just that, a name.

To be there I had to understand why I was there. You see the training that is needed for any of the skilled trades in the military takes people to do so. With out a lot of those people, training can only be done with so many people at once. The first course I needed to take was 3 months long, and only 20 members can do it at once. So like everyone there you wait. Waiting at first doesn't seem that bad, it's a nice break from basic where you were stressed all the time; however you quickly become a former shell of that solder you were becoming. It's lost with stories of people who have been there for many months to years. No information given about what is happening with yourself. No records, no people telling you just a few more weeks. Your name isn't even there during roll call.

It's basically as if your parents told you that you are going on the best trip in your life. You will have so much fun, see so many new things, and do what ever you can do. However when the time comes they boot you out into the backyard, that has a cardboard box, Dog shit everywhere, dead grass, and a broken swing set. You look though the windows at your parents helping other kids grow up however ignoring your yells, and beatings on the door.

You are forgotten. This leads to many feelings of being betrayed, angered, and letting your self fall into depression. Your daily routine more or less feels like you are slowly killing yourself, you can't do anything to stop it.

I told myself that it was a test, a long, boring, depressing test that I needed to get though in order to continue. It was hard to keep a positive outlook where there was negative all around you.

I got out of that place, a few months before I was rumoured to be. At that point though I was so overjoyed I didn't care much anymore.

A small part of me died there, that and the thought like any other that perhaps you are just the screw in that grand machine, that really wasn't needed in the first place.

Trade Course part 1.

When I came to CFB Kingston, I was instantly awakened again; everything I valued in the military was there again. I almost cried when I saw my name on a little name tape on my workstation that first day. The order there and the fact that you are once again part of the fighting force, and you will get though your course to help those fighting.

The course was also the first time you are your trade; everyone around you does the same thing you do, or will do. These are your peers, and the friends that you serve with. The course was a lot of knowledge more or less beat into you. You learn a textbook bigger then your biology textbook in High school, of things that you never would have known. You had you work at yourself to learn what you could, as fast as you could. By help of your peers or anyone else you are to know these things.

The course to me was a different way of learning then I ever really had. You had to focus on what was being given. Miss something and you miss what you need to make other things make sense. The true test of this course is that you had nothing to relate to. Everything you learn is things being done and how they are being done. But the object that does it, or the theory it's self isn't present.

It's stressful, it's hard, but you get though it. However it's only the first phase.

In my trade you need to be cleared by other people about your history and family. You can't learn the finer points about your trade till such a time happens that you are clear to carry on.

And again you wait.

SQ

Solder Qualification is the hardest course I've had to take. They take everything you have learned in basic, and test it and break it more times in a day then you can count. If I am to fight, I have to train like that person that does it all the time. I have to think, look, and feel like that person. That and they beat it into you. Everyday hurt like hell, everyday you say "just one more day", everyday is something else you did wrong, everyday another person is dead because you could not react, everyday you are turned into a machine.

Understanding why is one of those thoughts you have doing this. With out orders there is no doing. There must be doing for things to work, and you have to work regardless of how. A human can die because of so many things; you have to prevent them so that you and your fellows can return to your families. There is no try, trying leads to failure. And failure gets you killed.

I learned there that being a heartless killing machine, is hard to be, it's not something that anyone wants to be. However if it means being that to save your friends, or die with them, you are best being that machine. As the people you will face don't care at all if you die or not, just as long as they don't.

EWAT

I returned to CFB Kingston, to do my waiting for course. However because I was still known, updated on what was happening, and more to the point not ignored; I really had no issue doing anything.

I was assigned to help out at the HMCS Ontario, a summer camp for Sea Cadets. More or less as a quartermaster, a person that gives supply out, fixes his stock, counts it and orders more.

So many odd jobs, so many boring days, but I enjoyed every day of it. I helped out even with the camp its self resulting in so many stories and so many good memories that leaves me feeling great about what I do.

I was assigned to other things as well during this time however all the other places I was; it felt like I was needed, and again happy to carry on.

Current

I am still on EWAT till about the first week of Feb. It's then that I take the second phase of my trade and then get placed into a location with members of my trade, to well do my job.

Best of all, I feel better about being where I am.

Kraco
Tue, 01-27-2009, 03:02 PM
Oh. So, to sum it up, you got your chance to throw hand grenades and try a HMG? All is well, then.

Death BOO Z
Tue, 01-27-2009, 05:21 PM
DF, I don't get it.

are you considering a military career (say, 15-20 years in service?), or is it an investment towards the future that if you serve for a few years, you're granted some special privileges from the state?

(long and misspelled question short- is there a specific date that your army days will end at?)

Deadfire
Thu, 01-29-2009, 11:28 AM
Oh. So, to sum it up, you got your chance to throw hand grenades and try a HMG? All is well, then.

More then a few times

DF, I don't get it.

are you considering a military career (say, 15-20 years in service?), or is it an investment towards the future that if you serve for a few years, you're granted some special privileges from the state?

(long and misspelled question short- is there a specific date that your army days will end at?)

It's a option more or less to continue after my contract, again fate may do odd things to me from now till that time.

There really isn't anything that's special given to you to continue, however with current issues with the job market I'm in one of the safest fields as they don't just fire soldiers. The pension after about 25 years is awesome as well, basically setting me up for life after. However again I have to make the best with what I have. I'd have to weigh my options when that time comes.