PDA

View Full Version : What to do with the goddamn cosplay thread

Assertn
Sun, 04-08-2007, 01:21 PM
This man speaks the truth. This was one of the great and ancient Gotwoot traditions. Not even Complich or Ciber ever moved this thread anywhere from the Naruto section. And then suddenly came some Assertn and moved it without a second thought. It's not only bizarre but it's disrespectful towards all old gotwooters as well (and Assertn should be one himself, but now he behaved like some totally green mod out of the woods).
Oh please.....stop being drama queens. Not really sure what a "totally green mod" behaves like, but this thread clearly didn't belong in Naruto Anime. I was thoughtful enough to leave a shortcut to the thread in the Naruto section....but if you want to listen for updates, why not just subscribe to the thread? :rolleyes:

EDIT: Moved to a new thread to avoid cluttering the cosplay thread.

masamuneehs
Sun, 04-08-2007, 02:09 PM
I agree with Assertn, being the "totally green mod" that I am... This thread has moved way beyond just Naruto cosplay. Besides, moving it here gives non-Naruto watchers (god knows who exactly that'd be... but there's a couple out here) more opportunity to contribute and see this thread.

I don't know what kind of tradition keeping a thread in the wrong section is, but to me it's better corrected.

Do remember that you can Subscribe to threads that catch your interest, and see them from your Control Panel. It's what I do to remind myself of series that I like or threads that aren't very popular and aren't updated often. Yes it involves doing something yourself, but it's not that difficult

It's also possible to sticky this thread. In fact, I'm going to add a poll to see what everyoe thinks. Personally I don't like that idea because it leaves less room for all the other animes, and General Anime tends to flood off some very good shows simply because there's so many threads (wonder if we could fix that... ). Besides, if this thread is so beloved, it should have no problem staying on the first page, even here.

Board of Command
Sun, 04-08-2007, 04:20 PM
I voted stickied not because it's extremely popular, but because it's "different" from all the other threads.

RyougaZell
Sun, 04-08-2007, 04:34 PM
Well, if we do follow the rules... then it really doesn't belong on that section. Its just that after so long it had become one of the 'local' threads of the section. Thus, voted sticky.

DDBen
Sun, 04-08-2007, 10:27 PM
Based 100% on the rules I would agree this thread never really belonged in the Naruto anime Section.

On the other hand this thread has been in the Naruto anime section for over a year and a half without any problems and any mod who's been around for that time period could have certainly decided to move it well before now.

In the end my vote goes for putting this thread back where it was because quite simply it was not broken and there is no reason to fix it. Also making it a sticky in General Anime is simply a worse solution considering the current issue with threads being buried in that section is only made worse by doing so.

Assertn
Sun, 04-08-2007, 11:02 PM
Based 100% on the rules I would agree this thread never really belonged in the Naruto anime Section.

On the other hand this thread has been in the Naruto anime section for over a year and a half without any problems and any mod who's been around for that time period could have certainly decided to move it well before now.

In the end my vote goes for putting this thread back where it was because quite simply it was not broken and there is no reason to fix it. Also making it a sticky in General Anime is simply a worse solution considering the current issue with threads being buried in that section is only made worse by doing so.

I'd also consider Anime Fanart....as.....i believe we used to have cosplay threads in there back in the day as well..

complich8
Sun, 04-08-2007, 11:53 PM
I wholeheartedly endorse this product or event.

?igma
Mon, 04-09-2007, 10:01 AM
I agree with Assertn, being the "totally green mod" that I am... This thread has moved way beyond just Naruto cosplay. Besides, moving it here gives non-Naruto watchers (god knows who exactly that'd be... but there's a couple out here) more opportunity to contribute and see this thread.

I don't know what kind of tradition keeping a thread in the wrong section is, but to me it's better corrected.

Do remember that you can Subscribe to threads that catch your interest, and see them from your Control Panel. It's what I do to remind myself of series that I like or threads that aren't very popular and aren't updated often. Yes it involves doing something yourself, but it's not that difficult

It's also possible to sticky this thread. In fact, I'm going to add a poll to see what everyoe thinks. Personally I don't like that idea because it leaves less room for all the other animes, and General Anime tends to flood off some very good shows simply because there's so many threads (wonder if we could fix that... ). Besides, if this thread is so beloved, it should have no problem staying on the first page, even here.

Theres a difference between making the rules and bending them in such a way every single being agrees with it, or forcing the rules up to the point it actually becomes embarrasing.

I think I've at least skimmered Gotwoot long enough for the past 4 years to see this topic grow large. It's one of the few topics noone argues with anyone else and originally it was meant as a Naruto Cosplay topic, but the world of cosplay isnt small, so hence, it grew past those boundries. It's a happy shiney topic.

As some said here, at least 1.5 years ago this topic was created, I've never been much of a writer, more of a reader, untill I rudely got spammed with messages such as "you haven't posted in a while GO MAKE POST*Bitchslap bitchslap*" Which I ,on itself, find of such poor taste I'd almost refuse to post at all. But as nature will, Naruto is back, so I visit these forums more often and you're still my main source of Animé.

What's really odd here, is that it was allowed to be in the Naruto section, while it stopped being pure Naruto after what ? 4 pages ?

Than "some green" mod guy wakes up one morning and thinks "Ey , I've never seen that topic (24 pages ???) before maybe I should move it. Would be a nice start of my day"
Guy goes off to check his rulebook and on page 84 he finds "offtopic -> moved "
Guy cheers , makes a really sad post about him moving a post thats older than he is and not a single moderater has even tried to touch, as its a unique topic and should remain unique, this topic for 1.5 years.

It doesn't have anything to do with the said rules, it's just a sad display of rule-enforcement. Wrong time, wrong place, wrong topic. Showing you follow the rules can be done against people that spam your forums ,harass your members and in general are bad Karma.

The topic didn't affect anything. It was a peaceful front of unity between the gotwoot population. And whats even more sad, is the excuse that follows "I'd have to give alot of warning because people talk alot of offtopic" get a fcking life.

I voted to keep it in general and sticky it, because undoing this will only make a greater mess.

Board of Command
Mon, 04-09-2007, 11:26 AM
Everyone just take a deep breath and calm down.

Then bitch some more.

complich8
Mon, 04-09-2007, 07:22 PM
somewhat incoherent spiel

Not to be a dick, but ... is this just incoherent ranting, or do you actually have a point? You seem to be angry about a lot of things that you shouldn't really be angry about...

This thread was moved because it made little sense being where it was, and far more sense being where it is. Things that are broken should be fixed when it's noticed that they're broken. I fix random broken things around here whenever they get pointed out to me.

What else is there to say? Back to pictures of sexy cosplayers.

JaySee
Mon, 04-09-2007, 07:53 PM
Not to be a dick, but... Maybe you should actually read what he wrote. He basically said the moderators were slow in correcting it at the appropriate time (about after 4 pages) and innappropriate in fixing it much later after it was noticed multiple times, ignored and/or accepted, and became the norm, thus pissing people off. Also, Assertn being a dick for threatening to warn everyone who posted non-Naruto material if he moved it back.

Assertn
Tue, 04-10-2007, 09:12 PM
Lols......if it makes you guys feel better, go ahead and rule me out as the big, bad mod. If you ask me, there's been much greater travesties than a thread being moved (such as ciber's systematic destruction of the old game, movie, etc forums). You admit that the thread didn't belong in Naruto, yet complain that its been moved now? That it would've been fine if it was done sooner, but now is not the right time for it? When would be the right time then?

Cosplay threads have come and gone many times over the life of GW, but what makes this one any different?

I know why....because it was in the Naruto anime forum.

You guys elaborate on what horrible crime I've committed to the thread...well....the thread hasn't changed. :eek: It's still the same old thread it's always been. You're not complaining that I've tampered with the thread, you're complaining that I've changed what made it different from the others: It's location. This tells me that the bulk of a cosplay thread's value is its location, rather than the contents of the thread itself, which makes me wonder what this thread really had to offer to the Naruto Anime forum in the first place.

As I've said before, if competing for attention in the General Anime forum is going to be a problem, I'd be fine with moving it to Anime Fanart instead. We all know how much help that forum could use.

Assassin
Wed, 04-11-2007, 12:03 AM
The best solution here is to move it to Fanart. It keeps the thread on the main page (as if that was ever a problem) and it brings more traffic to the fanart section. Two birds with one moderation command.

Im not in favor of keeping it in General Anime and having it stickied. If this thread is really such a great GW tradition, and so important to the masses, then it should be able to stay at the top without being stikied. If no one is active enough to keep the thread on the first page, or even cares enough to look for it on the second page, then whats all the fuss about? If you guys love the thread then spending 2 seconds searching for it shouldn't be an issue. Otherwise. if you're lazy and only visit the thread cuz you see it at the top of the page, then let it go to a forum where its relevant and will stay in sight.

Raven
Wed, 04-11-2007, 03:03 AM
Obviously some people have trouble clicking on a different section of the Gotwoot forums. Hey, I know I do. It's hard, give them a break.

Ryllharu
Wed, 04-11-2007, 05:52 AM
It was never stickied in the Naruto section, and just came up every couple of weeks when it got popular. There's absolutely no need to sticky it, wherever it goes. Fanart probably needs the popularity it could potentially bring, but I don't really see how it would add anything to that section other than attention to itself. People won't create fanart just because more people view a section of the forum, they either will or they won't on their own.

The less it's moved around, the easier it will be to find later. If people can't search for it when it falls down in the threads, just give them a warning when they try to make a new one.

Lucifus
Wed, 04-11-2007, 01:52 PM
Voted back to where it was and sticked. Thats just where it belongs.....feels right.
Its gay to change it when it wasnt bothering anyone before just on a whim creating a whole bunch of unneeded drama.....My two cents..

I dont like it when my panties are in a twist. =P, so Im guessing most of ?Gotwoot doesnt either. Cant we all just get along? =)

Board of Command
Wed, 04-11-2007, 03:57 PM
The poll got reset and it's no longer a large margin! I smell conspiracy.

masamuneehs
Wed, 04-11-2007, 05:50 PM
i've done a sort of reversal, after seeing how active the General Anime section can get over the course of a day. Voted to move it to Fanart.

RyougaZell
Wed, 04-11-2007, 06:14 PM
But... wouldn't it be out of topic on Anime FanArt? you aren't drawing or editing pictures... but posting pictures of cosplay.
I believe its better on General Anime than in FanArt.

XanBcoo
Thu, 04-12-2007, 02:00 AM
Cosplay can be thought of as "art", I suppose. It wouldn't be too out of place.

Honestly, I don't really care where it ends up as long as I don't forget about it :confused:.

Kraco
Thu, 04-12-2007, 02:02 AM
But... wouldn't it be out of topic on Anime FanArt? you aren't drawing or editing pictures... but posting pictures of cosplay.
I believe its better on General Anime than in FanArt.

While I would have rather seen it returned to the Naruto forum, I could still add here that since cosplay clothes, at least most of the time, aren't really made for ordinary weekday use and they are often made / modified by the people themselves or otherwise in very limited numbers, they could be considered art and not really common garments.

General anime has been, for a long time now, a place almost exclusively used for discussing those series that don't have their own forum sections. There's nothing else there. Why should suddenly a cosplay thread be there?

KitKat
Thu, 04-12-2007, 09:11 AM
Mountains out of molehills, my friends. How did this become such a fierce debate? Wherever the cosplay thread is, people will still post there, and you will still see it. The section where it eventually makes its home is of little consequence.

And, for the record, General Anime has also been used to discuss such things as upcoming anime cons, and other anime-related events.

Psyke
Thu, 04-12-2007, 10:06 AM
I just want to say I voted for Kept in General Anime and Stickied. I prefer it being there rather than the fan art section, because I still don't really see them as related.

Assertn
Thu, 04-12-2007, 12:12 PM
The poll got reset and it's no longer a large margin! I smell conspiracy.

The conspiracy was that the options for the other poll were outdated, plus I couldn't move it to this thread :P

Danad_corps
Fri, 04-13-2007, 12:14 AM
voted General Anime n sticked.

Makes sense there whereas it didn't before. It WAS broken and it IS BEING fixed. Just becuase some want it in the wrong place doesn't mean they can try to browbeat the mods into doing something wrong (leaving it in Naruto-land). The mods are here to clean the place up by making sure things are where they belong (as in this case) and to make srue there is peace and harmony. I say we let them do the former and help them with the latter.

Assertn
Sat, 04-14-2007, 11:30 PM
Thank you, Danad_corps....

Anything else to mention? Any more votes to tally?

Board of Command
Sun, 04-15-2007, 10:56 PM
Close the poll now. General wins.