PDA

View Full Version : Do you wash your bowl right after eating cereal?

Board of Command
Fri, 03-30-2007, 11:12 PM
I'm living with 5 roommates right now and 3 of them eat cereal with me in the morning. However, after they finish they just leave the bowl in the sink and fill them with water. I don't get why they do that. I just rinse out my bowl afterwards because it takes 10 seconds to do so. I don't see how filling them with water is supposed to help since it's just milk and rinsing the bowls is enough to clean them.

Anyway I eat Oatmeal Crisp (Maple Nut flavor). My favorite cereal by far.

Zinobi
Fri, 03-30-2007, 11:18 PM
I just put it on the counter and use it again later. No water needed.

Board of Command
Fri, 03-30-2007, 11:20 PM
I have to wash it because we all share the bowls. However, my roommates apparently don't think the same way because they just pile them in the sink and wash them after work. It takes all of 10 seconds to rinse them out and put them on the drying rack...

Lucifus
Fri, 03-30-2007, 11:28 PM
I leave it in some corner of my room....and either leave it there to be excavated in the future or until my mom finds it......:cool:

Ryllharu
Fri, 03-30-2007, 11:32 PM
Soak, but don't wash.

I evidently doesn't count as washing it, since I usually chuck it into the sink and fill it up with water too, leaving it there for the rest of the day, until I eventually put it into the dishwasher. It prevents the cereal remnants from crusting up on the bowl. Imagine if your roommates didn't even fill them with water.

Have you ever tried to pry off Cream of Wheat or Mini-wheats after they've been stuck in the bowl for a couple of hours?

It's breakfast. Dishes are meant to be done in the evening.

Zinobi
Fri, 03-30-2007, 11:34 PM
Yes...yes i have...you gotta lick it. Lick it hard.

Deadfire
Fri, 03-30-2007, 11:36 PM
I have a dishwasher, I simply put it in that...

I turn it on everyday too

In the morning I take the clean bowl out use it and put it back in the dishwasher

Yukimura
Fri, 03-30-2007, 11:53 PM
I assume you don't pay the water bill then DF.

Anyway, My OCD shows up strongly when it comes to dishes, I HATE seeing stuff sitting in the sink with water in it, and of course I'm not too fond of Cracklin' Oat Bran encrusted bowls either. I generally just wash my (and my lazy roomate's) bowls as soon as possible.

Assertn
Sat, 03-31-2007, 01:43 AM
Get a maid to come and clean the bowls :)

Oh, and the best cereal by far is that new Kellogg one that has strawberry yogurt clusters in it.

Raven
Sat, 03-31-2007, 01:50 AM
I do both, rinse it then fill it with water. Best of both worlds.

masamuneehs
Sat, 03-31-2007, 01:59 AM
it depends on the state of the sink...

i thought this thread was going to be about types of cereal...

XanBcoo
Sat, 03-31-2007, 03:16 AM
Soak, but don't wash.

I evidently doesn't count as washing it, since I usually chuck it into the sink and fill it up with water too, leaving it there for the rest of the day, until I eventually put it into the dishwasher. It prevents the cereal remnants from crusting up on the bowl. Imagine if your roommates didn't even fill them with water.

Have you ever tried to pry off Cream of Wheat or Mini-wheats after they've been stuck in the bowl for a couple of hours?

It's breakfast. Dishes are meant to be done in the evening.
Totally agree, this is exactly what I do. With any dishes/bowels/silverware, I just run water over them and put them in the sink, to prevent crusting. Then, if I feel like using them later (and don't want to put them in the dish washer) I can easily clean them.

Why's it such a problem BOC? Do you have to deal with the dishes when you're at home and they're not, or are you just generally curious? :confused:

I remember about 2 years ago there actually was a thread about different types of cereal. Great stuff.

Assertn
Sat, 03-31-2007, 03:18 AM
it depends on the state of the sink...

Surprise! It's a bitching thread.

Kraco
Sat, 03-31-2007, 04:23 AM
I don't have a habit of eating cereal, but if I did, I would probably rinse the bowl, leave it on the counter, and then use it again once or twice before washing it more thoroughly.

complich8
Sat, 03-31-2007, 07:21 AM
dishes in general:

plates, silverware: toss in the dishwasher.
bowls: rinse if they've got something that'll cake on, then toss in the dishwasher.
glasses: if they had water, dishwasher. if they had something else, rinse first (to prevent stuff gooing up in the bottom).

I have a lot of dishes, plates, glasses and whatnot, so typically I'll run the dishwasher once, maybe twice a week.

I don't eat cereal, as a rule.

Board of Command
Sat, 03-31-2007, 09:12 AM
Why's it such a problem BOC? Do you have to deal with the dishes when you're at home and they're not, or are you just generally curious? :confused:
It's a problem because we all share the same dishes. Sometimes they "forget" to wash them after leaving them in the sink overnight and whoever needs a bowl has it wash it themselves. It's fine and all if you're living alone or something, but when you're sharing kitchenware with 5 other people, it really helps if you wash your stuff right away.

Winged Dancer
Sat, 03-31-2007, 10:49 AM
Here at home, as is common in many families in my country, we have a maid. So, eh, I pretty much don't do anything.

When I was living with roommates and with my Japanese family, though, I usually washed everything I could and didn't take much work. With the Japanese it was out of pure goodwill, I just wanted to help.

With my roommates, it was because we shared stuff - just like BoC, they wouldn't really do their share, and truthfully I'd rather do a little work after I'm done eating instead of having to wash when I'd rather just eat.

'Sides, I wouldn't want that crazy Russian girl anywhere near my mugs. She was just.... weird. Oh, and Miss French-Accented-English once bought me dinner as thanks for doing her dishes, so it was cool.

DB_Hunter
Sat, 03-31-2007, 12:44 PM
Rinse everything I use and then stick it in the dishwasher. Dishwasher runs everyday. As I live with my family, it gets other dishes to wash apart from mine.

gr3atfull
Sat, 03-31-2007, 12:54 PM
I rarely eat cereals. When I do, it depends if I have time or not. If I don't, I just leave it in the sink. If I do, I just rinse it. But, most of the time, I don't have time.

dark maginn
Sat, 03-31-2007, 03:08 PM
i eat cereal and put it in the sink or wash it when i am in the mood

Board of Command
Sat, 03-31-2007, 04:48 PM
But, most of the time, I don't have time.
This is the problem. How long does it take to wash a cereal bowl? 10 seconds? 15 seconds?

UChessmaster
Sat, 03-31-2007, 04:49 PM
1) ask my mom to bring me the cereal in my room

2) eat it

3) leave it there until she comes and takes it

gr3atfull
Sat, 03-31-2007, 05:05 PM
This is the problem. How long does it take to wash a cereal bowl? 10 seconds? 15 seconds?

To wash a cereal bowl would take about 15 seconds just to rinse it properly. But, if I start washing my bowl, I would need to wash my brother and my mom's dish too. Then that would take like a minute when I am in the rush to catch my bus. So it would all depend at what time I would wake up...

6Zabuza9
Sat, 03-31-2007, 09:06 PM
i leave mine on the counter where i eat it and just wait till a family member cleans it up :P

Sasori
Sat, 03-31-2007, 09:55 PM
Order of the morning:

1. Mom wakes me up
2. I get up, read the newspaper
3. Eat my Mom's homemade cereal
(This cereal contains yogourt, nuts, granola, banana slices, and some raisens for flavor. It's surprisingly good)
4. Take cereal bowl to kitchen
5. Place cereal bowl on kitchen counter
6. Proceed with all other school readying activities

In a nutshell, my family washes the dishes for me in the morning, sadly this is not the same at dinner T_T

Psyke
Mon, 04-02-2007, 03:13 AM
I've been washing all my dishes even before I entered elementary school. It's just part of the chinese culture, I guess. I still greet my senior relatives when we meet for family meals.

As for cereal, I don't usually have em, but I'll wash up straight away, unless my wife is right behind me or in the process of washing other dishes :p

Board of Command
Mon, 04-02-2007, 06:31 AM
7-17

Cmon guys, wash your cereal bowls...

mage
Mon, 04-02-2007, 07:35 AM
I eat in my room at my computer, so all my dishes usually just get stacked up on my desk until there's nothing left in the kitchen, then I have to wash them.

Bucket
Mon, 04-02-2007, 10:09 AM
Dirty dishes go in the dishwasher. Turn the dishwasher on when it's full.
Although I do wash pots & pans right after I use them (unless they have to soak).

Ryllharu
Mon, 04-02-2007, 06:00 PM
7-17

Cmon guys, wash your cereal bowls...
You may have an axe to grind about this issue, but apparently we're only more than happy to give you more heads to cut off.

May I suggest investing in more bowls? Or using casserole dishes (or other unconventional bowl-like dish, Pyrex measuring cups, etc) until your roommates have no choice but to wash dishes.

Assertn
Mon, 04-02-2007, 07:10 PM
Just keep your bowl in your room so your roommates can't use it.

Board of Command
Mon, 04-02-2007, 08:23 PM
You may have an axe to grind about this issue, but apparently we're only more than happy to give you more heads to cut off.

May I suggest investing in more bowls? Or using casserole dishes (or other unconventional bowl-like dish, Pyrex measuring cups, etc) until your roommates have no choice but to wash dishes.
But again, I'm not in the wrong for wanting to wash my bowls right after. It's called being considerate of others.

And it's not just bowls. There are always 3 or 4 plates and cups just sitting in the sink at any given moment. It's fine and dandy if you're living with your family or living alone, but when you're living with a bunch of other people who share the same kitchenware, you should make an effort to adapt accordingly. I don't wash my plates at home either, but when I moved out to live with these guys I realized we're sharing and that I need to wash all my dishes promptly so the next person can use them. Apparently my roommates aren't on the same page about this.

If you're living at home or alone there is no "next person" so I can see where you guys are coming from, but you're living in different circumstances. Let's say you're in my position; would you be frustrated if all your roommates do is pile dishes in the sink and never wash them?

Ryllharu
Mon, 04-02-2007, 08:54 PM
My roommate never takes out the garbage. In the past year, I think I've made him take it out three times, and only because I kept bitching at him to do it. No matter how full it gets, no matter how bad it starts to smell, it somehow has fallen on me to do it every time. So I sympathize, I really do.

It's one thing to try and coerce them to do it, but if they're not going to do it when you ask, they're never going to do it. Yes, it sucks, yes, they are taking advantage of you every time you wash the dishes, but sometimes, you just have to suck it up. I've come to terms with having to take out the garbage always.

It's one thing to be considerate and do the dishes for others. It's an entirely separate issue to not have enough bowls that you have to wash them in the morning so everyone in the house gets one. That way, you can soak them all day and do all of the dishes at a time more convenient for you, because no one really wants to do dishes in the morning.

Board of Command
Mon, 04-02-2007, 09:03 PM
I just made my lunch for tomorrow and at 10 PM, there are currently 4 cups, 2 plates, 2 bowls and 7 spoons and knifes sitting in the sink. Will they still be there by 5 PM tomorrow? Very likely.

That's why they should wash them right away...so they don't have to do them in the morning.

Spiegel
Mon, 04-02-2007, 10:18 PM
I voted yes a while back, I wash it so I have a clean bowl next time I want to eat something. I find it best to have at least one clean bowl for myself.

Winged Dancer
Tue, 04-03-2007, 11:15 AM
Wow, seems there's a good chunk of people here whose mothers/other family members do everything for them....

Ain't we the lucky ones!

I kinda worry about what will happen next year when (hopefully) I'll get to live on my own for a while. I'll have to do my bed, wash & iron my clothes, cook my own food (!!!!!), wash my dishes, mope the floor, clean the bathroom..... I just hope I had better discipline.

DB_Hunter
Tue, 04-03-2007, 01:24 PM
@Winged_Dancer:

Tips to make your life easier -

Do your bed = Don't bother

Wash & iron clothes = Where possible, don't crease clothing so you can use it again. Take regular showers instead to keep yourself clean and this will make the clothes last longer.

Cook your own food = Make two things on the weekend to last the entire week. Mix with takeaways to add variety.

Mop the floor = Why? Unless food falls down don't do this for like at least 3 weeks at a time.

Clean the bathroom = Get a bleach based spray that doesn't need scrubing. Just to be safe though scrub every now and then.

Winged Dancer
Tue, 04-03-2007, 02:48 PM
All sounds very logical but the bit aout ironing. Ever since my doctor prohibited me to use pants, I've found that skirts crease a lot, whatever you do.

Also...

Take regular showers instead to keep yourself clean and this will make the clothes last longer.

Eh? Regular showers? I shower daily... isn't that the normal thing? When its hot, I wash twice a day, sometimes...

Spiegel
Tue, 04-03-2007, 05:24 PM
..Ever since my doctor prohibited me to use pants...

What in the world... Do I even want to know?

I can't wait to see how it is next year in dorms... God i hope my roommate is clean.

itadakimasu
Mon, 04-09-2007, 09:44 AM
i usually rinse out my bowl just so that pieces of cereal dont become solid even after going through the dish washer. and usually i will use the bowl again in the morning unless my cat was sharing with me.. in which case i might get another bowl.