PDA

View Full Version : Should I watch?

itadakimasu
Tue, 03-20-2007, 02:29 PM
I have only seen a little bit of one piece on cartoon network... wait... and also on one of the only channels i pick up with no cable in my bedroom hahaha.

anyhow... i know some shows (naruto included) seem to be toned down in america to be marketed to younger audiences.. is one piece worth the watch? or is this a yu gi oh for the 10-13 year old crowd? 200+ eps makes me wonder if it is any good.

Carnage
Tue, 03-20-2007, 03:30 PM
....What the hell are you still doing here? Get downloading you fool!

English OP dub is NOTHING like original Japenese episodes. Onepiece is literally (and i think everyone would agree) the worst english dub adaptation EVER.

The Japanese manga I believe is more popular than Naruto.

This show is so 1337 your brain will melt. Get downloading. Now.

Lucifus
Tue, 03-20-2007, 04:37 PM
bbaucom!
Look Here (http://forums.gotwoot.net/showthread.php?t=12877)

Get downloading foo!:D

darkmetal505
Tue, 03-20-2007, 05:03 PM
You're basically asking "Should I breathe"?

Yes, watch it.

Augury
Wed, 03-21-2007, 05:10 AM
I feel that the responses so far have overexaggerated a bit, so I'd like to add some input.

If you're going to ask whether or not you should watch One Piece in the One Piece subforum, of course you're going to get positive responses because the people who visit this forum are likely to be One Piece fans.

That said, although the One Piece dub is indeed what many would consider a botched or failed adaptation, the original show is still a shounen series. You would be more likely to enjoy the show if you go in without high expectations. This is not to say that One Piece subpar or is only for kids - some of the elements that emerge throughout the story can be appreciated by an audience of all ages. Personally, after I became accepting of the art and started to focus more on the comedy and story, I found the series to be highly addictive.

Some issues that emerge from almost every long-running shounen series is the presence of filler material and clichés that may be a turn-off as you progress throughout the show. If these don't bother you then there really aren't any other major drawbacks to One Piece.

Honoko
Wed, 03-21-2007, 08:59 AM
Some issues that emerge from almost every long-running shounen series is the presence of filler material and clichés that may be a turn-off as you progress throughout the show. If these don't bother you then there really aren't any other major drawbacks to One Piece.
Heheee, that's when you start scrambling for the manga :D

But just to add/emphasize what Augury said, the drawing style does take a bit of getting used to. I think I had to go maybe 20-30 eps in before I really started getting addicted to it. It's a commitment, sure, but well worth it since the storyline and character development strengthen as the series goes on.

Mr. Roboto
Wed, 03-21-2007, 12:25 PM
I started watching One Piece when Naruto turned into fillers. I really wasn't expecting much but wanted something to keep me from having to endure the Naruto fillers. Luffy and his crew kept me sane during that unfortunate period. There's some parts and characters that I didn't like but I think with any series that has as many episodes as One Piece it's bound to happen. Overall, I've been pretty pleased with the series. The humor is pretty good and keeps the series going. The villians are pretty creative and sometimes pretty funny. I've never watched the english dub so I don't know how the two compare but it's been a pretty enjoyable series and I'm really happy that I started watching it.

dark maginn
Wed, 03-21-2007, 03:37 PM
i watch random episodes when i have nothing else to do and its pretty good

Kraco
Wed, 03-21-2007, 04:52 PM
Because of this thread I decided to rewatch a few episodes from the very beginning, and I gotta say the scenes introducing Zoro are just as excellent as I remembered. And Coby's (or what the heck was the cowardly idiot's name) scenes are just as insanely annoying as I remembered. Well, it's not like he would dominate the beginning of the series, so who cares...

BioAlien
Thu, 03-22-2007, 10:27 AM
I've never watched the english dub so I don't know how the two compare but it's been a pretty enjoyable series and I'm really happy that I started watching it.

Since i started watching with the Dub, i can tell you one thing about it.
It suck compared to the Original version.
It sucked so badly, that i wasn't interested in One Piece at ALL.

But on the other hand, the original version was so much better in like, every way possible.
(Voice, non censured... and many many more!... like...)

Dark Dragon
Thu, 03-22-2007, 03:28 PM
IF you want to watch a long running shonen series without alot of filler then watch one piece . Because out of the 301 one piece episode that has been released so far, roughly about 55 is filler. Bleach has 55 filler out of the 119 episode, i don't even need to give you the numbers of fillers for naruto.

One piece is your typical shonen type story, except there is alot of original twist and the art is quite different compare to the typical shonen drawing style. So you should try it out if you're into action/adventure mixed with wacky comedy.

itadakimasu
Mon, 03-26-2007, 09:59 AM
I started watching, i think im 8 episodes in.. It is pretty good, its going to get alot of watching since i dont have to wait every week to watch a new ep :D

Assertn
Sun, 04-01-2007, 02:21 PM
I've also used to say it a long while back, but when I was watching Naruto, Bleach and One Piece, I'd say that my order of preference between the three fluctuated alot. They've all had their high and low points, but for One Piece to be a contender as the number one of the three says alot about it, for me anyway.

Munsu
Sun, 04-01-2007, 03:12 PM
Hunter X Hunter will always be my favorite shounen... After that, I agree with Assertn, but at the moment I'd have to say that One Piece is my favorite among the three mentioned above, it has certainly been the most consistent.

Super5
Wed, 04-04-2007, 06:41 PM
I would recommend it to you, but there are a couple things that are different from other shounen anime:

1. One Piece gets really... well, silly, at times. That's one way to describe it. Not to say that it detracts from the show, but if you're expecting really serious shounen anime like Naruto, it could take some getting used to.

2. The filler quality is, in general, very good. Main characters behave as they should, and plot lines are entirely feasible within the world of one piece. Many times you won't even realize you're watching filler, nor care, because the extra storylines are done well. Also, as Dark Dragon pointed out, the filler ratio is way lower than the other top shounen anime.

Take these things into consideration, and happy watching! ;)

Xyrox
Tue, 04-10-2007, 11:39 AM
I recently started to watch One Piece (a friend's advice, but I knew that I would start sooner or later). And I share many thoughts as those who posted before me.

I had seen the draw style before, and that was why I waited to see it. It's really the opposite of my "style", but now I'm quite used to it. There are some characters that I find really annoying (Coby, for example), but on the other hand I like very many characters.

At times, One Piece is very addictive, when I find the story touching.

Assertn
Tue, 04-10-2007, 01:30 PM
You also notice an annoyingly distinct pattern in every arc leading up until around ep 30 or so, with the way major and supporting villains are distributed among the good guys, and how the conclusion of the arc results in the prize of another crew member (which actually seems a bit more interesting now that I think about it, since every crew member had a different, yet parallel circumstance that ultimately caused them to join at the end).

However after that they do a lot more mixin' it up and pull some much greater obstacles.

itadakimasu
Tue, 04-10-2007, 01:35 PM
it is pretty addictive. I'm on episode 44 now and i really like it. hopefully it is still going strong by the time i catch up to 300.

It makes me think alot about how i didn't watch this show because i'd seen the horrible english dub of it on early morning tv when in fact it has some serious plot and action going on.

Xyrox
Tue, 04-10-2007, 05:54 PM
AssertnFailure, so true. I didn't like the beginning so much, but once you know more about the characters etc., at least I enjoy watching One Piece. Around ep. 80-something right now.

Stoopider
Thu, 04-12-2007, 07:04 AM
Download Kaizoku-fansubs.

Problem solved. Everything else is inferior.

Mr. Roboto
Thu, 04-12-2007, 09:49 AM
it is pretty addictive. I'm on episode 44 now and i really like it. hopefully it is still going strong by the time i catch up to 300.

It makes me think alot about how i didn't watch this show because i'd seen the horrible english dub of it on early morning tv when in fact it has some serious plot and action going on.

there's some slow parts but it's not anything too bad or long. plus you can get through them pretty quick since you don't have to wait a week for a new episode to be released. if you've made it to episode 44 then you are in for the duration.

dragonrage
Wed, 05-02-2007, 05:10 PM
Don't know if i should really watch episodes 220-226. I know it is the memory loss filler arc, just wanted to know if it is worth watching and if it has any relavents to the actual storyline.

At the moment I really don't know if to watching it or not. Can someone who has seen it give me some advice (pros, cons) without spoiling it for everyone. PM me is you want too. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks for any input you have to offer.

Jadugar
Sat, 05-05-2007, 02:10 PM
Don't know if i should really watch episodes 220-226. I know it is the memory loss filler arc, just wanted to know if it is worth watching and if it has any relavents to the actual storyline.

Its the worst filler ever. Dont waste your time.

dragonrage
Sat, 05-05-2007, 04:47 PM
thanks for the advice. since i know that you are an advent One Piece fan i'll take your advice for now.

itadakimasu
Sat, 06-09-2007, 09:48 PM
ok.... this is now in one way my favorite anime.....i'm on ep 135 now and currently is the only show i watch every single day..

this is kinda a bitch thread thing but im going to post it here..

I turned on the tv tonight, first time in a long time and one piece is on... and its right areound where i just finished watching... first 5 seconds, im cursing the tv... the english dub is so bad.

and now.....instead of having blood running over his fists... its sweat to allow him to hit crocodile? wtf.... and now im looking at zorro who has grey slashes across his chest instead of bloody wounds...

this is a crime, usopps voice is so bad, i could go on and on. *REDICULOUS* ... damn.. the show is still on my tv !!!!

official conclusion : One Piece is an excellent series as long as you keep it un edited and in japanese with subtitles.... the english version is just terrible.

Deblas
Tue, 06-12-2007, 02:34 PM
this is kinda a bitch thread thing but im going to post it here..

I turned on the tv tonight, first time in a long time and one piece is on... and its right areound where i just finished watching... first 5 seconds, im cursing the tv... the english dub is so bad.

and now.....instead of having blood running over his fists... its sweat to allow him to hit crocodile? wtf.... and now im looking at zorro who has grey slashes across his chest instead of bloody wounds...

this is a crime, usopps voice is so bad, i could go on and on. *REDICULOUS* ... damn.. the show is still on my tv !!!!

official conclusion : One Piece is an excellent series as long as you keep it un edited and in japanese with subtitles.... the english version is just terrible.

If it's the 4kids dub, by all means bitch all you want. Everyone pretty much agrees it's the worst dub ever. Good thing though that 4kids already dropped the license for One Piece and was taken up by Funimation. For now Toonami will finish up the remainder of the 4kids dubbed episode (up until the Rainbow Mist filler arc) and will start airing the new funimation dub in August.

itadakimasu
Tue, 06-12-2007, 02:39 PM
I was wondering if the funimation dub will be edited or not. but in actuality i dont care that much. If i watch so much of a series subbed there is no going back for me anyhow.

Deblas
Tue, 06-12-2007, 03:08 PM
I was wondering if the funimation dub will be edited or not. but in actuality i dont care that much. If i watch so much of a series subbed there is no going back for me anyhow.

Every anime in the toonami block will have to be edited in some way. Toonami did give some restrictions:

-Huge amount of blood will be edited out (I would say it would be like the Naruto dub. It will have blood, just not blood gushing out or something)

- Still no alchohol if i remember correctly (I sort of understand since they are underage according to American law at least).

- Sanji unfortunately will still have his sucker. This is because since he is a main character, It will be too much work to change it into say a toothpick or something. Toonami strangely did not let Funimation just delete the smoke like what they did with Asuma in Naruto. Smoker will have his cigars though, just not lit.

- There was a bunch of name changes from a supposed "List" that came from Toei animation. Thankfully the translation team worked on that and they were able to keep the original names. Still, there will be some changes here and there. Nami's Climatact is now the Climate Baton for example. Much better that 4kids Weather Forcer at least.

- Punches will not be shown doing actual contact. It will be replaced by a brief flash (this is the one I'm most worried about)

That's what I remember at least. It will have new VA's now, no arc skips, original music, no stupid puns and they will have uncut dvd's as well. I reserve my judgment till August.