PDA

View Full Version : TV: Bones

Munsu
Thu, 03-15-2007, 11:20 AM
http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/1047/boneszg1.jpg

Anyone here watches this series? I think it's a pretty cool series. It has a really nice group of characters, and so far the second season has been better than the first. The series is usually of episodic nature, but there are some stories that do carry over through some of the episodes, and those are usually the best. The interaction between the two main lead is great too; you know they have the hots for each other, but they won't admit to it. Anyways, give it a try... the theme song is good also by The Crystal Method. The series can get a bit gory at times, especially with some of the remains that need to be studied.

The latest episode dealt with a copy cat killer using Dr. Brennan's best selling mystery novel as a guide. It was a cool episode in general.

From executive producers Barry Josephson and Hart Hanson comes the darkly amusing drama Bones, inspired by real-life forensic anthropologist and novelist Kathy Reichs. Forensic anthropologist Dr. Temperence Brennan, who works at the Jeffersonian Institution and writes novels as a sideline, has an uncanny ability to read clues left behind in a victim's bones. Consequently, law enforcement calls her in to assist with murder investigations when the remains are so badly decomposed, burned, or destroyed that the standard identification methods are useless. Brennan's equally brilliant colleagues at the Jeffersonian's Medico-Legal Lab include earthy and bawdy Angela Montenegro, who's created a unique way to render an original crime scene in a three-dimensional computer image; Brennan's assistant, Zack Addy, a young prodigy whose genius IQ actually gets in the way of his finishing the several doctorates he's begun; "the bug guy", Dr. Jack Hodgins, who's an expert on insects, spores and minerals, but conspiracy is his hobby; and Brennan's boss, imposing lab director Dr. Daniel Goodman. Brennan often finds herself teamed with Special Agent Seely Booth, a former Army sniper who mistrusts science and scientists when it comes to solving crimes. Brennan and Booth clash both professionally and personally, but so far the chemistry between them has only played out in a fictionalized account in Brennan's lastest mystery novel.

Animeniax
Wed, 02-24-2010, 08:28 PM
I'm watching this episode of Bones called "the Girl in the Mask" featuring all the Asian stereotypes Hollywood ever came up with. The worst part is how it's about Japanese, but there's only one Japanese person in the show and he has a bit part. The other major Asian parts are all Koreans and Chinese playing Japanese. What the f*ck is this sh*t? And they just went to commercial with a classic Asian music sound byte.

Munsu
Thu, 02-25-2010, 09:02 AM
Animeniax, still having trouble with the term called "acting".

OMG! A Russian playing a German. A German playing an British. A British playing an American. An American playing the world! The travesty! The Mexican playing a Puerto Rican. The Puerto Rican playing a Dominican. The Dominican playing a Spaniard. A Spaniard playing an Italian. An Italian playing a Italian-American. Get me off this shit!

Seriously man, everyone does it. It's acting, and suspension of disbelief comes with it.

Animeniax
Thu, 02-25-2010, 06:08 PM
Being pasty white has its comforts I suppose, but for those of us of culture and color, it's a bastardization to continuously see one Asian people represented by another for the simple fact that Hollywood (and westerners by extension) doesn't care enough to differentiate between the people of the cultures depicted to bother. We're just all one mass of yellow people, no matter that each has its own language, own culture, own history, etc. For shame!!

XanBcoo
Thu, 02-25-2010, 07:07 PM
Being pasty white has its comforts I suppose, but for those of us of culture and color, it's a bastardization to continuously see one Asian people represented by another for the simple fact that Hollywood (and westerners by extension) doesn't care enough to differentiate between the people of the cultures depicted to bother. We're just all one mass of yellow people, no matter that each has its own language, own culture, own history, etc. For shame!!
I, for one, am appalled that Mel Gibson keeps getting cast in movies as an American.

Munsu
Thu, 02-25-2010, 07:26 PM
Again, it's that you just take issue with the Asian when this happens with everyone, hence why I gave all those examples.

And the Japanese and the Chinese don't do the same? Without looking too much into it, you can just take anime and how Americans are portrayed in there... with a VA who doesn't know shit about English. Yep, it sounds bad, and we complain, but this is not a Hollywood issue as you're trying to make it out to be.

And also again, I don't see you complain about a British portraying an American, etc. So, would it be accurate to call you a hypocrite or am I mistaken there?

Animeniax
Thu, 02-25-2010, 09:17 PM
I, for one, am appalled that Mel Gibson keeps getting cast in movies as an American.
Your analogy would make sense if there was a fundamental difference between your average white American and your average white Australian, which there is not. You can't say the same thing about your average Korean and your average Japanese, unless you're racist or just ignorant.

Again, it's that you just take issue with the Asian when this happens with everyone, hence why I gave all those examples.

And the Japanese and the Chinese don't do the same? Without looking too much into it, you can just take anime and how Americans are portrayed in there... with a VA who doesn't know shit about English. Yep, it sounds bad, and we complain, but this is not a Hollywood issue as you're trying to make it out to be.

And also again, I don't see you complain about a British portraying an American, etc. So, would it be accurate to call you a hypocrite or am I mistaken there?Yeah but I don't care about everyone else, just the Asians. Some white guy can take umbrage with whites being miscast and misrepresented.