PDA

View Full Version : Vista is gay

Lucifus
Mon, 03-12-2007, 08:16 PM
I cant use Photoshop! (In case you dont know this is like chopping off my..)

Vista is now taking up 99% of my physical memory. (1GB) And for some reason wont recognize my ReadyBoost Cache drives. I.E PSP(4GB) PNY Attache Flash Drive (2GB).

It used to recognize em before and now Vista went all gay. Probably should have taken this to the bitching thread....

I got to the end of like 5 sigs today all of which I ended up losing at the end either due to complete Operating System freeze up cause my physical memorys all the way up past 99% or I simply cant save due to lack of memory. Pissing me offZ!

Sasori
Mon, 03-12-2007, 09:04 PM
I highly suggest reverting back to Windows XP until you can get a major memory upgrade. Vista was released way too early. You have to have a top of the line machine for it to work properly (even then it sometimes doesn't work). Bleh.. I'm getting a mac when I have the money. My sympathies about your computer problem.

RyougaZell
Mon, 03-12-2007, 09:43 PM
I suggest reverting back like Sasori said, but to not upgrade back to vista for several years... I do that every new windows.

currently I use a hack called win xp lite.

Sasori
Mon, 03-12-2007, 09:48 PM
currently I use a hack called win xp lite.

Oh? Tell me about it. Is it good?

RyougaZell
Mon, 03-12-2007, 10:22 PM
Well... aside of being free of most crap I never used on XP Pro... I only have 256 RAM and my machine never passes half the RAM used.

Windows XP Lite only occupies 1GB of my HDD.

Although I haven't really pushed the machine to its limits, like Lucifus for example, it has worked very nicely ever since I got this hack from a friend. I formatted and he gave me the disc to install this version.

Sasori
Mon, 03-12-2007, 10:40 PM
Do you think you could give me a summary of what it doesn't have compared to Windows XP?

RyougaZell
Mon, 03-12-2007, 11:19 PM
Sadly no. I never kept track of what the original XP had... I just noticed the great decrease in use of system recourses, and that it only occupied 1GB.

Deadfire
Tue, 03-13-2007, 12:04 AM
You can also run a bunch a tweaks to the reg to get XP running great on any system. Some changes are surprising simple that most just never do

I have the edits on my jump drive that use for cilent's computers at work, If anyone wants it give me a PM and I'll see what I can do

complich8
Tue, 03-13-2007, 01:49 AM
I've tested vista enterprise edition on two fairly high-end machines. Very displeased. Numerous bugs in place, numerous misfeatures, a lot of very bad choices, and it's a freaking pig.

I, too, advise you to reinstall xp and go back to some sort of sanity.

SorC
Tue, 03-13-2007, 02:06 AM
I havn't actually tested vista myself yet, will get to do that soonish through work. However I've yet to hear anything really positive about it (Other than it looks good - which doesn't count).

Personally I don't intend to move to it unless forced to (I'm a PC gamer and windows has the lions share of the market as far as games built for PCs go).

And for anyone with a spare 2 hours here's an interesting article on the antipiracy measures built into vista:
Article (http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.html)

Makes me like the prospect of moving to vista even less.

Lucifus
Tue, 03-27-2007, 11:31 PM
Update.....quite from the bitching thread. What a motherf@8#$r.....

Bitch! Photoshop and Vista is a total fing diaster damnit.

I bought two gigs of memory and gave my old gig to my brother. Vista now runs pretty fine along with games. I dont get problems with memory anymore. But Photoshop refuses to do what I ask when operating on Vista. Its fing pissing me off. I just loss like the ultimate CC sig!

......Photoshop now decides that it will not open images. Any image, be it make a new image or open one from my computer. Before that it decided it doesn't want to free transform. Agh, its like a bandaid on my nuts!!@ >.>

Tried restarting, reinstalling, and just about everything. Need to vent. Meet me in Counterstrike noobZ!:mad:

dimitris127
Thu, 03-29-2007, 01:34 PM
i have vista on my pc...but before i go them i got 2gb ram...anyway it's true that using vista is not reccomended for now cause most of the programs and games are still only for the xp version...also if you try to install alcohol120% get ready to knock yourself out till you fix your pc

Sasori
Sat, 03-31-2007, 09:35 PM
You can also run a bunch a tweaks to the reg to get XP running great on any system. Some changes are surprising simple that most just never do

I have the edits on my jump drive that use for cilent's computers at work, If anyone wants it give me a PM and I'll see what I can do

What kinds of tweaks? I don't really need it, but I have about 512 megabytes of RAM if I'm not mistaken. It's fine, but anything to make my computer run faster could be useful.

Board of Command
Sun, 04-01-2007, 01:58 AM
I have Vista on my laptop (C2D, 1 GB, GMA950) and no problems so far. Everything I use work fine (including Photoshop). Even Aero is perfectly fine even though I'm using really crappy integrated graphics. So no, it doens't take a super high-end machine to run Vista in all its glory.

Also, it's not a memory hog. It's just SuperFetch precaching your programs. If it was really the OS taking up all your memory then you'd experience severe slowdowns whenever you open new programs, but I'm sure that's not the case, right? And don't even both with ReadyBoost, it doesn't do much unless you're starving for memory (256/512).

itadakimasu
Tue, 04-10-2007, 01:41 PM
Update.....quite from the bitching thread. What a motherf@8#$r.....

Tried restarting, reinstalling, and just about everything. Need to vent. Meet me in Counterstrike noobZ!:mad:

Do you play source?

Board of Command
Tue, 04-17-2007, 11:15 PM
Vista rocks. I finally reinstalled it today. Everything is so much smoother than XP.

http://img373.imageshack.us/img373/3272/untitled1oj7.jpg

itadakimasu
Thu, 04-19-2007, 01:07 PM
my first impression of vista was not very good. I got it installed on my media center computer in my room (vista-lite) its alot more streamlined than xp and i like the way it looks.

however, i cant really talk about the whole vista is gay topic because i'm not trying to do anything extreme on this computer, its only used to view anime / movies so i haven't run into any problems at all; aside from needing to activate / crack sometime in the next 4 weeks :X

itadakimasu
Mon, 07-30-2007, 06:58 PM
OK... I installed this morning and had to wait until i got home to play with it. Have been on the computer for little over 2 hours and i dont think im going back to xp. Vista seems to be flying through everything, some of the layout is going to take adjustment but its awesome. I ordered a new vid card today which hopefully will complement vista nicely. i will note though, that right now my ram is at 38% and all i'm running is firefox but no biggy.

Sandldan
Mon, 07-30-2007, 11:58 PM
Recently installed Vista with my new comp too, felt a bit lost at first but i've started to get used to it and it's getting better and better. There's still some things that annoys me though, so far the biggest downsides has been Vista not accepting my overclocking for some reason, some programs are still malfunctioning and my 3dmark06 score dropped with over 1k from windows xp : <

David75
Tue, 07-31-2007, 12:31 AM
I read an article saying that lots of proffessional do not want to swithc to Vista after trying it, even large companies.
This article was also stating that Vista was a sort of remake of Windows ME...
Oh, and next gen M$ OS is due in 3 years, which seems to give credit to the Windows ME like OS for vista...

Deadfire
Tue, 07-31-2007, 02:45 AM
I read an article saying that lots of proffessional do not want to swithc to Vista after trying it, even large companies.
Oh, and next gen M$ OS is due in 3 years, which seems to give credit to the Windows ME like OS for vista...

The thing is that article was written like a couple weeks after Vista was launched, and the guess what, the same thing happened when XP was launched too, oh and 2000 and 98.

Need I say more?, go try it yourself as you and only you are the user of your computer, what does it matter if other people don't use something? Are they running your computer for you?

David75
Tue, 07-31-2007, 04:20 AM
The thing is that article was written like a couple weeks after Vista was launched, and the guess what, the same thing happened when XP was launched too, oh and 2000 and 98.

Need I say more?, go try it yourself as you and only you are the user of your computer, what does it matter if other people don't use something? Are they running your computer for you?

I actually did give it a try on comps supposed to be well equiped in hardware.
I was really unimpressed, yet those comps seemed so slow!
I'm really not eager to switch to vista... it'll need some polish and beta testing before I do. A price drop would be nice too.

?igma
Tue, 07-31-2007, 05:33 AM
Was that the same article that gave reasons for Vista being bad like : "Video files no longer work!" ?:P

Heh, well anyways, MS jumped in a bit too early with their release. It creates issues for more than 50% of the users and as we all know, most of these users do not "tweak"their PC's, they want it working from scratch.

It's said to give hardware conflicts with outdated hardware
It's said to refuse internet connections at random times
It's said to be slower even on PC's with a fair size of RAM (4GB) and 10K rpm HDD's
It's said that alot of games oddly don't work on Vista, but than again, alot of those same games are said to work on Vista by others. ( This also concerns other forms of software )

I'd say wait for at least one ServicePack before starting with Vista. Make sure your PC isn't 3 years old and can compete with modern technology and doesn't have any old hardware, that might still be supported by XP ( such as old PCI cards/ethernetcards etc )

The worst of all these complaints being that some MMO's don't work anymore. Now that would be shocking :P

Btw, Deadfire, you are wrong.

Retailers all over the world are getting an increase of 30% in complaints ( compared to XP ). People explicitly ask companies to install or revert to windows XP, because they have issues with Vista. Retailers lose about 20% income, just because of their guaranteed money back policies, while they can't get their money back from MS.
Calling MS and asking a trade, Vista vs XP key/license, it will take you 2 hours to give up in the end.

And that's _now_ not right after the release.

I use Vista at work, and XP at home. While I do not have any "real" Exceptions thrown at me, when I work with Visual Studio, the processing is definitely slower than on my 2 year old XP pc.

complich8
Tue, 07-31-2007, 03:10 PM
I was annoyed that the vista boot process is strange enough that grub has difficulty booting it. I was planning on quad-booting ubuntu, vista, xp and opensolaris, but without composite extension support for my video card under linux (ie: no beryl/compiz effects, lame ass ATI), and with an unbootable vista courtesy of that shitty boot process, I am down to just dual-booting xp and opensolaris.

itadakimasu
Tue, 07-31-2007, 03:37 PM
I only ran into one program (Peer Guardian) that didn't support vista. Only took me a minute or 2 to find and dl vista drivers for my video card. and Counterstrike : Source worked just fine, maybe better than if i were running XP even though it made me 'run as admin' to open steam. Also, found that the klite codec pack i use w \ media player classic works fine. i love the layout though, im using the quick launch area for all the programs i run + my computer and its a nice clean layout.

David75
Tue, 07-31-2007, 04:27 PM
Slightly OffTopic.
I have a new HD for my laptop. The other one crashed...
I'm trying to install XP with the ORIGINAL CD (full, not an upgrade).
Well, it doesn't work. The installation os is fine, then it doesn't want to recognize the
flashy multihollograpic windows XP cd it was booted from as original :mad: :D

I'm currently dling a copy... just that I'll finish late in the night when I need my laptop tomorrow .. and that I had liked to drive the 800 kilometers need from early morning...

Damn apps that aren't even wine compatible...

itadakimasu
Tue, 07-31-2007, 08:55 PM
you know, sometimes just finding a nice bootlegged copy seems easier than having microsoft tell you that you cant activate anymore because you've had to reformat and have already activated online once before.... they want you to talk to an indian guy who will put you on hold and then ask you several questions before giving you a 50 digit number which you will have to enter in order to activate your copy of windows

Board of Command
Wed, 08-01-2007, 04:36 PM
Companies don't want to make the switch early because it costs them time and money (training, down time, etc...) to do so. It has nothing to do with the quality of the OS. It's all about money. Eventually they will all switch over. A lot of businesses still use Windows 2000. That doesn't mean XP is bad.

As for the Win ME comparisons... I don't see them. If it's about Vista's short projected lifespan, then that's not a fair comparison because most OSes don't last as long as XP. Windows 95 lasted 3 years (succeeded by 98). Windows 98 lasted 2 years (succeeded by ME/2000). Windows ME/2000 lasted all but one year before XP came out. Windows XP lasted a bit over 5 years, which appears to be an anomaly compared to all of its predecessors, and it mostly had to do with the huge delays in Vista development.

Now, from a technical perspective, Vista is greatly changed from XP. It's not just a hacked up version of XP. The entire OS was built from scratch.
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/vista/kernel-en.mspx

Deadfire
Wed, 08-01-2007, 09:29 PM
Btw, Deadfire, you are wrong.

Retailers all over the world are getting an increase of 30% in complaints ( compared to XP ). People explicitly ask companies to install or revert to windows XP, because they have issues with Vista. Retailers lose about 20% income, just because of their guaranteed money back policies, while they can't get their money back from MS.
Calling MS and asking a trade, Vista vs XP key/license, it will take you 2 hours to give up in the end.

Your statement is invalid as you fail to see that amount of users that had computers at the time XP was released has increased about 10 times since that time. so of course there will be a increase in complaints..THERE ARE MORE USERS USING IT

That and you failed to fucking read what I typed, as nothing I said had anything to do about retailers losing money. As well many pre-build machines simply can't go backwards as some drivers these machines have do not have XP versions (Weird indeed, however it's has happened with computers of hp, sony, e-machines/gateway, and toshibas) so I can see the loss of profit for the companies.However XP didn't exactly fly right off the selves either seeing how it was buggy on release as well to the amount of people who bought it (Again less then the amount at this time)

?igma
Thu, 08-02-2007, 05:22 AM
All you succeed in, in just two posts, is to show how extremely nice and friendly you are.

GTFO ass.

Ah man, that's so going to cost me another warning, I'll live it. Seriously, grow up.

Btw, you are assuming that retailers are idiots too I notice. Their data is of course ( but hey, I'm not going to use bold with fuck in it ) based on the increase of total sales.
So the more or less people buying their products is completely irrelevant.

It's a nice find though, I'll give you credit for that ^^

Deadfire
Thu, 08-02-2007, 11:05 AM
All you succeed in, in just two posts, is to show how extremely nice and friendly you are.

GTFO ass.

Ah man, that's so going to cost me another warning, I'll live it. Seriously, grow up

I don't need to warn people, that go against me in discussions. Seriously that would be low (Such low expectations for me, meh). Discussions have naturally two sides, I have my side and you have yours. If you can't seem to handle that the posts of one party will not be how you want it to be then it's time to leave the internet dude.

Enough about that as you seem to think of me as nothing more then dirt (which BTW it seems I was right to be a ass to you as you already have such low expectations of people)

Btw, you are assuming that retailers are idiots too I notice. Their data is of course ( but hey, I'm not going to use bold with fuck in it ) based on the increase of total sales.
So the more or less people buying their products is completely irrelevant.

It's a nice find though, I'll give you credit for that ^^

I really didn't say the retailers themselves were idiots but more that stat you give isn't something that should be really counted on. There are alot of factors that relate to loss of sale, as well who are they grouping as "retailers" as I know myself that online retailers, and smaller shops that have sales growing alot may not be grouped under that. Total sales as well for bigger companies such as Best Buy and the like have had falling sales in computer related items in Canada. Again this is again messed up as there is more people buying now then there was at one point (again something this stat you give does not point out as a comparison point, I assured it is compared to when XP came out. However that may not be the case) So the sales numbers aren't falling as much as it you or I would think.

More or less I tend not to believe in stats that I've given no data about how the stat was created. It's much to say that Gun killing of North America has gone up, However then to say it's the lowest crime rate in history (both points are true if you believe that data)

If you can solidly prove the data of your stat you pulled can account for all the possible factors then you can tell me that I think retailers are idiots. But then again it's not the retailers, it's those making the stats.

And yes it is impossible to account for all the factors.

Point being here also wasn't the detailing of retailers sales of Vista, but more of your personal opinion of it. I simply told the discussion that it's really up to the person that installs it and uses it. Going on what other people say is sometimes not the best thing to do as just like your stat there are various factors that go in to a article or anything else produced by another people about anything. To account for all of them is not simply possible.

?igma
Thu, 08-02-2007, 02:43 PM
yeah it kinda like saying sales of windows vista have skyrocketed tenfold of xp. ...wait..wasn't that you ?

(fact <- is that the sales have disappointing results up till now )

itadakimasu
Thu, 08-02-2007, 04:20 PM
I am not sure about this but from what i have seen, most people have had vista forced upon them through new computer purchases. And i kinda find that ironic because alot of these people are are probably not very computer experienced computer users / casual computer users.... I love it though :)

Shadow Skill
Sat, 08-04-2007, 04:11 AM
I have had Vista installed for nearly 4 weeks now. I do not have the problems everyone else seems to report. My speeds on the programs I run are actually faster than on XP. I was told that Vista does a sort of free the resources to run the program and dedicates those resources to the program or programs that are running. Which I believe is better.

Also, I and a few others have noticed that Vista is like Mac OS lol. Not sure how anyone can complain about Vista when it's like working on a Mac. I guess people just want to be finicky about something new to them.

As for running programs on Vista, either run them in Administrator mode or in Compatibility with XP. Not that difficult to figure out.

On XP, if you have 4GB of DDRAM and XP uses 256MB of that RAM, that leaves 3744MB not being used...

Where as on Vista, it's all Dedicated. Vista right now is using 792MB of my 2GB of RAM.When I run a program, that 792 will be dedicated to the programs I run. I believe that's how it works. CPU usage is 0 percent. Rarely do I ever go above 60 %. games make me use 50 % CPU, which is normal, was the same on XP.

As for the resource dedication, I am not 100 % informed on that. I am just taking someone's word on that.

Kraco
Sat, 08-04-2007, 04:34 AM
On XP, if you have 4GB of DDRAM and XP uses 256MB of that RAM, that leaves 3744MB not being used...

Where as on Vista, it's all Dedicated. Vista right now is using 792MB of my 2GB of RAM.When I run a program, that 792 will be dedicated to the programs I run.

I seriously doubt that makes any sense even to you, and you wrote it.

Board of Command
Sat, 08-04-2007, 10:58 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superfetch#SuperFetch

WOOT 4000TH POST LETS PARTAYYYYYYYYYYY