PDA

View Full Version : Sad Day in Narutoland

Mr. Roboto
Sun, 03-11-2007, 02:42 PM
From the main page:

"Dear AonE fans,

After fansubbing Naruto for over 4 years, we regret to inform everyone that we will not be continuing with the series past season one (episode 220). This is for a variety of reasons but the main being that subbing the show is just no longer fun for a lot of the staff members. The show is also a tremendous use of resources for AonE which is hurting our other shows. Naruto Shippuden is not the only show that we are “dropping”, we will also not be continuing with the Gundam SEED Destiny Special Editions. We will however be subbing the Stargazer OVAs. We ARE still subbing Daa! Daa! Daa!, so do not fear DDD fans.

By making these sacrifices, we can better concentrate on our current shows as well as possibly a new one that we are interested in. We will be doing everything possible to catch up on our backload and finish some old shows (BBB, SnS III, etc) before the next season begins.

These decisions have not come easy. There have been many heated discussions behind the scenes. We are facing an evolving fansubbing world, and unless we consolidate our resources we will be unable to keep up.

We are still recruiting for staff members, particularly Translators, QC, and TSers. Please see us on IRC in #aone-recruit (on irc.rizon.net) and private message an op.

Regardless of the show, AonE will continue to provide high quality fansubs for everyone to enjoy. Thank you for all your support!

AonE Staff"

I always liked their subs of the show. They always put a lot of effort into their subs and quality was superb. I'm going to miss their subs, but I wish them the best of luck with the rest of their subs.

Kraco
Sun, 03-11-2007, 03:07 PM
I visit the main page so rarely that I hadn't even noticed this...

Still, it's a real pity. I was looking forward to archiving the AonE versions like I did with the pre-filler eps. I generally liked their choice of words in translations (not to mention obvious quality aspects).

Assertn
Sun, 03-11-2007, 03:28 PM
Their translations always felt hit-or-miss, but ever since TW stopped subbing, they were the only group that put any effort into the intro/credits subtitles. I always liked those

RyougaZell
Sun, 03-11-2007, 03:37 PM
I stopped caring about them since the fillers began. Ok, the fillers were not worth it, right, but it was painful to see a Naruto release once every three months.

Terracosmo
Sun, 03-11-2007, 03:51 PM
I've been collecting AonE subs to this day, always archiving them, yes, even the filler episodes. So this really is saddening. :(

Phoenix20578
Sun, 03-11-2007, 06:10 PM
I've been collecting AonE subs to this day, always archiving them, yes, even the filler episodes. So this really is saddening. :(

Same here. This is very sad, but I can understand what they mean. At the very least, I'm glad they've decided to sub to the very end of season one and not cut somewhere in the middle, for my archives sake.

JaySee
Sun, 03-11-2007, 06:10 PM
214-215 released on front page.

Maybe TW will sub Shipuuden since SD doesn't think it's licensed?

XanBcoo
Sun, 03-11-2007, 06:20 PM
I too archived all of AonE's Naruto subs. This is a bit of a shame, but Dattebayo is decent enough I guess.

Their translations always felt hit-or-miss,
"What is this coercion-ness??"

Harima Kenji
Sun, 03-11-2007, 07:32 PM
Sad to hear, indeed... Always waited for their releases, but I stopped completely since the fillers began.

Being the eternal optimist that I am, I still hope that one day they start to think that Shippuuden is worth subbing and start with that. (Unless I misunderstand, they've stopped mainly bc they didn't like the series anymore... am I right?)
Even releasing them in the same amount of time K-F does One Piece.. when the subbers have time and are bored..

But I guess that my hopes are just my hopes.
I'm really happy that AonE finishes this series, and that they started it in the first place :)

Even though I'm happy that DB does this series, and I can get my weekly fix once again, I hope that a quality subber picks this up..

DarthEnderX
Sun, 03-11-2007, 07:49 PM
They already finished this series way back when they did episode 136.

Anyway, I suppose they're more interesting in subbing series nobody else is subbing.

Instead of, you know, shows people like.

Lucifus
Sun, 03-11-2007, 08:48 PM
Damn,. This sucks very much. I never though Aone of all fansubs would drop it. All of my Naruto archives are Aone. I wonder which will be the top dog for Naruto fansubs now?

RedX1z
Sun, 03-11-2007, 09:26 PM
Not really as sad as one would make it out to be. I'm just glad they won't stop subbing other great series that may come, but I guess I understand where everyone is coming from and what Aone is getting at. I guess just thank them for the time they have been subbing.

Assertn
Sun, 03-11-2007, 11:59 PM
"What is this coercion-ness??"
They......translated chouji's reference to his bag of chips as a "gourmet meal" :confused:

Carnage
Mon, 03-12-2007, 05:42 AM
This blows. Now the best hope for good-quality eps is for somebody to put up Uncut English DVD - Rips online.

NM
Mon, 03-12-2007, 11:48 AM
I started watching Naruto with Aone's subs so I was hoping to have their entire collection of Naruto from start to finish, including Shippuuden. But..I do understand where their coming from. Viewing purposes, the fillers sucked a lot. But to fansub these is just painful. Thanks for all your hard work Aone!

This blows. Now the best hope for good-quality eps is for somebody to put up Uncut English DVD - Rips online.

You could...you know...BUY the uncut dvds. :p

Sasori
Mon, 03-12-2007, 12:05 PM
You could...you know...BUY the uncut dvds. :p

Where would the sense be in that when.. you know.. you could get it free? :p

A while ago, a distant friend was telling me about why he left his computer was always on. Anybody want to guess? Downloading anime, music, etc. I wanted to see Naruto, so he introduced me to this whole thing. Aone was the first group I heard about. They also subbed the batch of Naruto my friend linked me to. I was screaming obscenities at the computer screen when I first read the front page. I've gotten over it now. Thanks Aone. Your work is greatly appreciated.

KitKat
Mon, 03-12-2007, 12:14 PM
I can't say that I was heartbroken at this news. Sure, Naruto is a fun anime, but it has no end in sight, and it can be particularly abyssmal at times. AonE showed a tremendous amount of perseverance to make it through all the fillers. There will always be groups subbing Naruto due to the enormous popularity of the show, so we don't have much to worry about. I look forward to AonE's future projects, whatever they may be.

Winged Dancer
Mon, 03-12-2007, 12:33 PM
Wow... this is somewhat surprising, since Aone is probably the group who had worked the longest on Naruto... and they were the best, too. Their translation were accurate - not correct, as many people have exampled here, but beyond that kind of mistakes, their work was always understandable and coherent, which is more that can be said for some other groups.

We'll have to get by Dattebayo, I guess. At the very least, they are very quick...

Oh wait, I download the raws only, no subtitles for me.

Well, good luck for Aone on their upcoming projects, anyway!

Spiegel
Mon, 03-12-2007, 12:58 PM
This has to come a week after I finish re-downlaoding all the Naruto Eps from AonE after my harddrive crash. They were better quality than my previously downloaded eps and will be greatly missed.

Super5
Mon, 03-12-2007, 03:14 PM
This is indeed sad news.... but I can hardly blame AonE. After almost 90 episodes of fillers, they were just depressed. The second part to their decision was that people just wanted the eps "for their archives", as many people have stated here. That kind of attitude does not make a fansubber happy. Basically that's like saying, "Sure, I like your episodes and they're great quality, but I'm never going to watch them... unless I get a burning desire to check some obscure scene or fact later." That's not the reason that a fansubber puts the effort into doing a sub. They do it so that people will watch the subbed episode when it's released, enjoy it, and stay faithful to that group. Even speed subbers want loyalty and word-of-mouth recognition. It seemed like the community was telling AonE that it didn't want Naruto from them anymore. Everyone wanted the speed-subs so they could rush to the forums and post their impressions. I admit that I'm guilty of the same thing, but seriously people, you should have seen this coming.

This leaves a problem, though. There is not currently a quality subber who has the guts to continue with this series even if it gets licensed. DB is a speed subber, and SD may drop it if N:S is licensed (which will probably happen soon, considering its success in the U.S.). I propose that a new group is formed to do quality subs on a decent time scale, say 1-2 weeks after each episode airs. I would be willing to help with this endeavor. Furthermore, I propose that the sole purpose of this group would be to do N:S, and that a commitment is made to do the entire series, no matter what may come. That's my feeling on the matter

Kraco
Mon, 03-12-2007, 03:40 PM
Uhhuh... I disagree with you, and not slightly. When a person really likes some series and is looking forward to it, waiting 2 weeks for an episode can be a stretch. And everybody knows that, subbers included. They are also anime fans, for the most part, I imagine, and many easily above average, or otherwise they couldn't sub but would just consume like the bulk. So, in that sense I doubt they will be greatly offended if their slower pace won't have people wait for them for the first impressions. They know the reasons as well as everybody else.

However, when you say you archive a series, it means you look for the best available version, assuming the series is one you imagine watching multiple times and thus justifying investing bandwidth in redownloads. And what does that tell? That you hold one particular sub in higher regards than others, and thus choose it for archiving.

And I surely don't archive series just for the sake of filling DVD cases and an Access database. The blank media and the time used in burning are too precious for that. Unless an ebola carrying monkey bites me and thus a shinigami arrives to to take me to the netherworld, I intend to keep rewatching series from my archives just like I've done before. Naruto about 3 times, some series even 5-6 times so far.

Assassin
Mon, 03-12-2007, 04:06 PM
This is indeed sad news.... but I can hardly blame AonE. After almost 90 episodes of fillers, they were just depressed. The second part to their decision was that people just wanted the eps "for their archives", as many people have stated here. That kind of attitude does not make a fansubber happy. Basically that's like saying, "Sure, I like your episodes and they're great quality, but I'm never going to watch them... unless I get a burning desire to check some obscure scene or fact later." That's not the reason that a fansubber puts the effort into doing a sub. They do it so that people will watch the subbed episode when it's released, enjoy it, and stay faithful to that group. Even speed subbers want loyalty and word-of-mouth recognition. It seemed like the community was telling AonE that it didn't want Naruto from them anymore. Everyone wanted the speed-subs so they could rush to the forums and post their impressions. I admit that I'm guilty of the same thing, but seriously people, you should have seen this coming.

Ya, im siding with kraco here, you're completely wrong on that one. First, depression has nothing to do with it....none of the aone staff seem emo to me. Second, archiving thier subs would show appreciation for thier work, not neglect. If they want people to watch thier subs they should've aimed for quicker releases instead of higher quality. They didn't, ergo people watching thier subs isnt a big deal to them. As for staying faithful, that has nothing to do with watching. Almost every person in this thread said they were archiving aone's subs, even though they all watched DB's releases, and thats pretty much the definition of faithful. Lasty, i for one did see this comming (as did those who are involved in the fansubbing community), and i dont really care. You make it seem like its our fault aone's not gonna continue with naruto.

This leaves a problem, though. There is not currently a quality subber who has the guts to continue with this series even if it gets licensed. DB is a speed subber, and SD may drop it if N:S is licensed (which will probably happen soon, considering its success in the U.S.). I propose that a new group is formed to do quality subs on a decent time scale, say 1-2 weeks after each episode airs. I would be willing to help with this endeavor. Furthermore, I propose that the sole purpose of this group would be to do N:S, and that a commitment is made to do the entire series, no matter what may come. That's my feeling on the matter

Quality subs have nothing to do with guts. DB can do quality subs if they want, but then they can't do quick releases. As for your proposal, i dont wanna call it stupid, but there really isn't any other way to describe it. Though i do appreciate the fact that you offered to help instead of just demanding that someone do it. However, fansubbers generally do what they do cuz they like anime, not cuz they like naruto. Anyone who's dedicated enough to spend time on fansubbing wont stick only to naruto. In all likelyhood, they'll want to sub other (and better) series as well (which is why there isn't already a group doing solely naruto). Still, if you want to follow through with your idea, you can try convincing the members of our very own (and now forgotten) sub group Proxy-Fansubs. But you'll have to find them a translator first.

DarthEnderX
Mon, 03-12-2007, 07:14 PM
Agree with the above two posters. Being the "archive" fansubbers means I think your the best group for the series. That I plan on watching your subsyears from now on the DVDs I burn. You're also the version I show to all my friends who don't DL things themselves.

Everything else is just "the subs I dled cause I didn't feel like waiting for the good ones".

Super5
Mon, 03-12-2007, 07:58 PM
Depressed is the wrong word to use, I guess. I meant that they are probably just tired of subbing filler crap, that's all. I imagine fansubbing takes a lot of work, and they just wanted to work on a more exciting series.

I assume most series, with the exception of really popular ones, only have one subber (especially some more obscure anime). That's not the case for Naruto. I'm just guessing that AonE realized this and decided there was no need for them anymore. AonE, on the front page, did indicate that they were disappointed that people only downloaded them for archiving:

We have a bit of a policy to not drop anything, that’s what got us in trouble with Naruto in the first place. Ofcourse we also wanted to complete it for the fans however having people say “Oh nice we’ll download AonE for the archive” … well it’s not really rewarding. It’s nicest to see that people download and enjoy watching the shows you sub.

Naruto was a case of too many fansubbers for one series, and one had to go. But if people still want archived episodes, then I suggest we do something about it. I know barely anything about fansubbing (enough to know I can't do it alone), so if someone wants to step up, I'm all for it.

Carnage
Mon, 03-12-2007, 09:02 PM
I dont know about Super5, but I watch Aone's episodes right when they come out. I'd rather have Dattebyo stop fansubing all-together and have to wait the extra weeks for Aone's subs. They're worth it! (Though I dont know if this is saying much, because I read the manga in the meantime).

Mr. Roboto
Mon, 03-12-2007, 09:16 PM
I'll be honest and say that i haven't watched one of the AonE subs since the fillers started but I don't think many people wanted to watch the fillers once let alone twice. I always appreciated the little touches that AonE added to their subs. For instance, translating the signs and store fronts in the towns into English. Also, the way that the subtitles would change colors depending on if the person speaking was on the screen or not. I really wish they would reconsider this but I guess they've made up their mind. I appreciate the hard work they've put into the series, including the almost endless pit of fillers, and wish them the best of luck with the new series they are picking up.

DarthEnderX
Mon, 03-12-2007, 09:55 PM
Meh, I switched to DB for my archiving purposes when it seemed like AonE just wasn't doing it anymore.

I have no regrets about it. They do just as good a job as far as I'm concerned.

Yeah, there's an error from time to time. It's like once every couple of months. That's better than almost everyone does, and they do it in less than a day.

It really just comes down to wether or not you feel like putting up with DB being jerks all the time.

I do.

Terracosmo
Mon, 03-12-2007, 10:10 PM
I assume most series, with the exception of really popular ones, only have one subber (especially some more obscure anime). That's not the case for Naruto. I'm just guessing that AonE realized this and decided there was no need for them anymore. AonE, on the front page, did indicate that they were disappointed that people only downloaded them for archiving

Uh... idiots? If they wanted people to watch their release primarily, then how about RELEASING FASTER? Of course I understand why they have been slower than they used to be, I'd personally never be able to sub the piece of crap Naruto filler; but to be 30 eps behind and still bring a point like that up is incredibly silly. If anything it's a freakin' honor to be "archived" because it means that AonE's episodes are the ones that wins the race in the end, since they are the ones which doesn't end up being deleted. And the same thing goes for the fact that people actually spend time downloading their versions even though they've seen the episodes already.

I lol'd

Deadfire
Tue, 03-13-2007, 12:35 AM
I agree with Assassin on the many points he brought up and took down :p. This wasn't surprising at all. I figured they would do what they did. There are so many other better series' that could use some quality subbing that we all know AONE do. Naruto is one series, and frankly at this point a average one (Yes I have not watched the fillers I am rating it on the actual series).

On the Fan-subbing there is a line that exists between Quality and speed, So groups grasp it alot more then others, I'll pick a example from what is going on right now. There are/were/is two groups subbing "Code Geaus" your-mom and GG.

your-mom is fast, however look at on of their subs and you will see the difference speed makes. Mis-translations, timing errors, encodes, and sometimes even the quality goes from alright to "WTF is this crap"

GG makes very good quality subs, however they take longer, and you see why when you watch it as most errors are so few that sometimes they don't exist. However it takes them sometimes 3 RCs to get it right. They know that quality is something they can tell their friends and say I made that.

To the fan/watcher/adict speed and quality sometimes aren't factors in deciding, Hell I've seen people watch the RAW of the next EP because they can't wait to know what happens. Frankly alot of newer fans to fansubbing care less about storyline and other jazz and focus on the action. This is where a speed sub is great. They get to sort of understand what is happing and they enjoy watching it feeling complete. The other side that want to know the storyline and jazz care to wait out for a quality sub so that they can enjoy the EP their way.

On a fan-sub group side it can be a race to release faster then the other, or it can be a popularity contest, or even it can be a sense of ownership and pride. You always have to remember fan-subs groups sub because they like what they are doing. and when you for any reason start to lose one of those 3 it can be dishearting.

Again these are far from general statements people can be different.

On final thing before I press submit. The subbing world has become different over the years as the people that watch them have grown, however that also means the age group of most new watchers is around the 8-14 mark. Before it was the age group of 16-22. With fans becoming younger "quality" isn't something that enters their mind at all when they press download.Us older ones can tell the difference but again even then it depends.

Assassin
Tue, 03-13-2007, 01:08 AM
ya, there are alot of younger fans nowadays...hell im 21, and i dont really care about quality. As long as there aren't blatant spelling and grammar mistakes, i am happy. i dont care if the translation isn't spot on. A literal translation of every word isn't what im looking for since the same japanese sentence can be translated 4 different ways and still convey the same meaning. As long as the subber doesn't get lazy or overly zealous (ie: translating "nani" as "WTF!!!"), i dont care about the translation.

DarthEnderX
Wed, 03-14-2007, 04:05 AM
On final thing before I press submit. The subbing world has become different over the years as the people that watch them have grown, however that also means the age group of most new watchers is around the 8-14 mark. Before it was the age group of 16-22. With fans becoming younger "quality" isn't something that enters their mind at all when they press download.Us older ones can tell the difference but again even then it depends.This is very true. The thing that really makes this the case? Youtube.

Alot of my friends have kids. Those kids all watch Naruto/One Piece/Bleach(hell one even watches Death Note).

But while I download them every week using torrents, they just watch them all on youtube.

The end result being that even though they came bearly operate their computers, they are just as caught up as I am, watching the same subs I am.

So what you have, is this huge new audience of fansubbers, for whome quality is a completely moot point. Because no matter how good your sub is, it still looks like shit when it's played on youtube. And that's all those kids ever see until they watch it years later on Cartoon Network.

Danad_corps
Fri, 03-23-2007, 02:47 PM
hahaha i know exactly what you guys are talking about. However, this doesn't only apply to teens and pre-teens. A lot of my college friends watch their anime on Youtube (they don't care for quality at all...).

I, however, usually wait till i can get my hands on the absolute best sub/rip out there (which involves downloading the same ep from diff. subbers and determining which, IMO, is the best). I am a quality whore and have archived AonE's naruto since it started. I am very sad to see them stopping, but i guess this wasn't totally unforseen. Anyway, i wish them good luck on all their future endeavors.

someoone plz help me customize opera. This is the initial post
http://img49.imageshack.us/img49/6880/operaandscrewedupmsgposjv9.th.png (http://img49.imageshack.us/my.php?image=operaandscrewedupmsgposjv9.png)

This is how it looks when i wanted to edit it
http://img49.imageshack.us/img49/2048/operaandscrewedupmsgposag4.th.png (http://img49.imageshack.us/my.php?image=operaandscrewedupmsgposag4.png)

BioAlien
Fri, 03-23-2007, 09:26 PM
What do you mean by "customize Opera"?

Something like this?:
http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/6056/33qy2.th.jpg (http://img267.imageshack.us/my.php?image=33qy2.jpg)

Or this?:
http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/1307/33wj4.th.jpg (http://img341.imageshack.us/my.php?image=33wj4.jpg)

For the first one, Go to Tools/Appearance..
From there you will be able to Search for more skins, change the interface, add or remove icons of place... etc... (Just read what you see on the screen for the love of god.)

For the second one, are you sure you possess the latest Released version of Opera? ( 9.10 )
Did you change anything in the View tool?

View/Images / Show images
View/Style / Author Mode (uncheck anything else is not Author mode)
View/Encoding / Automatic Selection (once again, uncheck anything else but Automatic Selection)

If it didn't solve your problem, Uninstall Opera Completely!
Delete all folder Opera related, delete all registry about Opera.
Then, Reinstall Opera.
It should work... if not.. then Opera hate you.

Danad_corps
Sat, 03-24-2007, 12:07 PM
BioAlien lol i figured it out. The fit to width button was checked. Even though this solved the problem for this page, it turns out that it screws up other pages. www.cablesforless.com is now extremely wide (about 1 and 2/3 screen lengths). Know how to fix that? btw, i think we should move this to pm's so as to not disturb anyone else and to not screw up this topic

As for AonE, i just hope that they delve into the genre that Mushishi fell into. I personally would love to see a Fansub of Baoh (no english group has done this movie yet but I remember it was kick-ass when i saw it on VHS).

This is the wrong forum to ask about opera tech support.
-Assertnfailure

BioAlien
Sat, 03-24-2007, 05:54 PM
Can' t help you on that one.
I personally avoid website that are not "compatible" with opera.
You could go on the Support page of Opera and ask for help(Or read if someone else asked for that same problem). There you will get all the help you need.

Let's go back on topic now~

Edit:
Breaking News! Due to numerous requests and death threats addressed to Dattebayo Fansubs, LLC headquarters in Gnaa, Nigeria, we have decided to release Naruto Shippuuden 006 from hostage situation for our fans to enjoy. We promise we will never do another 75k download for Pitagora Switch stunt, as that show has clearly failed it and will be promptly removed from our lineup at our earliest convenience. Thanks to all the fans for showing us the light.

Lets hope so, that kid show is boring, only the Rube Goldberg machines thing are "good" to watch, the rest is crap.. Also, this release of naruto is a YTHB, since it has not aired yet. (it air the 29 of march)

dragonrage
Sun, 03-25-2007, 12:00 PM
Well this is certainly a sad day, and well it is fairly bad news for my archiving collection since i will have to finish ( if i ever do) with someone else's sub. I certainly can't say that this is unexpected considering all the bull that we have seen from the show, I could only imagine how hard it was to sub it.

Well thank you for all your hard work, and good luck with your future projects, I will definitely be keeping an eye out for them....

Thank you for all the memories and everything else.

AnimeFan
Tue, 04-03-2007, 12:19 AM
This is really sad. However, I'm sure that their reasons are legit and sound enough... so there.