PDA

View Full Version : Weird XP GUI problem

Raven
Sun, 03-04-2007, 02:55 AM
I'm using XP SP 2, and of course I have many of the user interface settings tweaked to how I like them (all Windows settings, no 3rd party software). Basically what I do is go to the Display Settings (right-click desktop - properties) and I use the "Windows Classic" theme which gives you the 2k look instead of the blue/green XP look. Also, I turn off the windows start/end sounds as well as a few other little similar Windows annoyances.

Occasionally, I'd say even about 40% of the time, when I reboot the computer and Windows reloads, it reverts back to the default settings i.e. the default XP theme. The weirdest part is, when I go to select the "Windows Classic" theme from the menu it is already selected, and it takes me selecting it again and clicking ok before it re-applies it. On top of that, all the Windows sounds that I have turned off have been reset to the defaults as well.

Because this doesn't happen all the time, it's hard to pinpoint exactly what causes it. I guess it would help if I knew how/where Windows stores the GUI settings information, but I have no idea. Has anyone run into this kind of problem before, or at least heard of it?

Also, I'm considering running some kind of 3rd party XP modifier that allows you to totally revamp your desktop, all because of this annoying problem. Would someone recommend one or two good ones to me? Thanks.

GhostKaGe
Mon, 03-05-2007, 01:54 PM
if your lookin to revamp the look of windows then CrystalXP (http://www.crystalxp.net/)is the place

The patch need to use them is here (http://www.softpedia.com/get/Desktop-Enhancements/Themes/UXTheme-Patch-For-Windows-XP-SP2-Final.shtml)

Don't realy have a clue about the weird problem though sound like the settings arn't saving when you restart but its Windows so it could be anynumber of problems

( Wonder if i can sue microsoft for the cost of having to replace my keyboard everymonth my Ctrl Alt Delete keys keep getting worn out )

Raven
Sat, 03-10-2007, 06:17 PM
Thanks for that. I'll give CrystalXP a go. I've been messing around with StyleXP but I'm not that happy with it.