PDA

View Full Version : Zanpaktou Abilities

DB_Hunter
Sat, 03-03-2007, 09:37 AM
Ok so now we have seen Rukia's zanpaktou and its similar to Toushiro's. It got me thinking as to how a shinigami actually gets a zanpaktou with that particular ability i.e. Why is Yamamoto's the most powerful attack zanpaktou, Ichigo's one that magnifies his reiatsu, Byakuya's tiny blades etc.

Any thoughts? Or was this explained somehwere and I have missed it?

Kraco
Sat, 03-03-2007, 10:33 AM
A good question. I guess many of them match well, though. Toushiro's ice element certainly matches his looks and perhaps manners. Yamamoto's is kind of neutral considering his character, but on the other hand it's not like he was that well introduced man in the series anyway. And fire easily gives the impression of attack power. Byakuya is the epitome of aristocracy in this series, and maybe considering the Japanese background the sakura petals reflect that nicely. Gin is a sly fellow, so the elongating, sniping zanpakutou is really good.

However, I don't really see how ice and Rukia connect. In fact, I didn't expect at all an ice element for her. She's not a blond (or blue haired), not some ice queen, not even a bishoujo for any extra, cold beauty. Nor is her behavior anything like that. But then again, maybe not Toushiro's either, even though his looks are those of an ice elementalist.

Genma
Sat, 03-03-2007, 12:00 PM
I think zanpaktou abilities are just random and whatever the manga writer feels like making.

That's why I don't watch or read Bleach anymore. It doesn't have a real solid storyline... at least for me.

NeoCybercoin
Sat, 03-03-2007, 06:05 PM
Well that makes me wonder what Zaraki would get. A gaint axe because of his lust of battle and bloodshed? Or a huge hammer?

Kraco
Sat, 03-03-2007, 06:25 PM
Hard to say. But I guess it's safe to assume it wouldn't be anything too fancy or complicated like some people have, Byakuya as a good example (like too fancy for Zaraki, for Byakuya of course not).

However, Zaraki is a genuinely very good fighter. So, I don't see why he would need a huge axe or hammer. They don't fit a fighter who also knows how to rely on skills, not only sheer overpowering strength. Especially since Zaraki at least used to think zanpakutou is nothing more than a tool, and the power lies in the user.

DB_Hunter
Sat, 03-03-2007, 07:36 PM
So are we saying that the zanpaktou reflects the personality of the individual? Does the reiatsu of a shinigami then not only have size i.e. large or small but it also has personality?

animus
Sat, 03-03-2007, 08:03 PM
I bet Kon would get a bow shaped like boobies.

NeoCybercoin
Sun, 03-04-2007, 08:43 AM
It don't think it has anythign to do with the user's Reiatsu. I am yeah Ichigo's sword was freaking huge in his normal state but then again he couldn't control his reiatsu.

Anyway there are different types of Zanpaktou. Like Kido types like the one Yumichika's has.

So as far as we know we have: Kido, Elemental and Zan types( I don't know the name for it so ill just call it Zan for now. As it is used for Melee"

So it;s like this
Kido - Yumichika
Elemental - Obivously Hitsugya, Rukia, Yamamoto and Kyouraku.
Zan - Kira, Rangiku, Ikkaku, Ichigo, Byakuya, Ukitate Jyuushiro

This is what I think they are anyway. I am guessing that Kira has a Zan type because his special involves direct contact with the opponents Zanpaktou and every hit he makes with it causes the opponents Zanpaktou to double in weight.

Rangiku and Byakuya use their Zanpaktou special ability to cut opponents. Senbonsakura and Haineko are basicly the same only with Haineko the blade becomes ash instead of petals. And they can still cause the same damage as a normal blade.

Ikkaku doesnt really need an explanation because he has only been seen using it for cutting. And Ichigo...well I put him their because Getsu Gatenshou uses his Reiatsu instead of Kido.

Yumichika's Zanpaktou use Kido for their special attack.

Well thats basicly what I think about it. Feel free to comment :P

Assassin
Sun, 03-04-2007, 01:00 PM
I think it was said early on that a persons zanpaktou reflects thier personality and rietsu. As for rukia's zanpaktou, its more snow then ice. during the last ep, the mod soul mentions that her zanpaktou is "pure as snow". And also that its the most beautiful of all snow/ice zanpaktous. So it does reflect her personality, not as an ice queen, but as a pure spirit, someone who belongs to the most prestigous noble house in SS.

dimitris127
Sun, 03-04-2007, 05:07 PM
a good thought there assasin....but how are bankais made for each character do they use the same criteria...beacause i don't see why renji has a snake bankai and ichigo a small but very cool zanpaktou

Elyne
Mon, 03-05-2007, 08:24 AM
Just to add some names to the little list Neo made.
Zan - Kyouraku Shunsei and Ukitate Jyuushiro with their dual wielding swords. Didn't seem to have any element the little time we saw them.

Kraco
Mon, 03-05-2007, 09:11 AM
Well, I'm sure they do have some special powers, and we just don't know yet if they are elemental or something else. Just having two swords instead of one isn't quite worth calling it shikai, I guess...

bagandscalpel
Mon, 03-05-2007, 01:46 PM
Well, I'm sure they do have some special powers, and we just don't know yet if they are elemental or something else. Just having two swords instead of one isn't quite worth calling it shikai, I guess...
But then again, Ikkaku's shikai is "just" a spear.

Kraco
Mon, 03-05-2007, 03:35 PM
Yeah. But I don't expect Ikkaku to become a captain, ever. It seems pretty likely there can be even big differences in the theoretical max potential of various zanpakutou, just like the shinigami themselves are some weak, some average, and some truly powerful. So, while Ikkaku's shikai is just a spear, I expect the two captain to have something more extravagant - they likely wouldn't be captains otherwise.

Edit: A typo.

NeoCybercoin
Mon, 03-05-2007, 03:39 PM
In the Heat of the soul for the DS it shows that Kyouraku Shunsei's Zanpaktou has Wind Element. So I take it that he also has that in the manga/anime.