PDA

View Full Version : Hardcoding .srt to .avi

vladimier
Thu, 02-15-2007, 11:48 PM
anyone know of a place to find a guide to hardcoding subs to .avi? I could go with either .idx/.sub or .srt . I know this is a tall order but I cannot find another place to ask besides kloofy.net and I have not gotten an answer there either.

thanks in advance
vladimier

complich8
Fri, 02-16-2007, 12:11 AM
.idx/.sub are dvd-format subtitle files, and a pain in the ass to work with last I knew. .srt is "sub-rip" format ... unstyled, rough-timed scripts.

The easiest way to do a basic hard-sub, you'd use virtualdub (or virtualdubmod), open the original .avi, do a fast recompress, and add a textsub filter. Textsub is part of vobsub -- google it.

Once you apply the filter, you encode it, you save an output file, and that's that. Since an srt is unstyled, you'll almost definitely want to tweak the textsub settings to get things to not look like donkey-vomit.

I recommend http://www.doom9.org/ for all your video questions. They're the center of most community development activity these days and in the past, and have guides on just about everything. Their forums have surely answered your question many times over in many different ways as well.

vladimier
Fri, 02-16-2007, 12:34 AM
I totally forgot about doom9 I went there years ago for my first attempts at mounting images on a virtual drive. I feel stupid for not rembering them. Thank you for reminding me of thier existence. I will try vdubmod again with your instructions as well.

thanks again
vladimier

Board of Command
Thu, 03-01-2007, 10:18 PM
You can also try the Avisynth method which is basically the same as the Vdub method except you do everything in Avisynth instead.

Idealistic
Wed, 03-21-2007, 05:33 AM
Vobsub has a program called Submux that comes with it.... Just insert the .avi and .srt file and Mux it and it automatically hardcodes it for you. Though I've had trouble with some movies, the majority should work.

Munsu
Wed, 03-21-2007, 06:09 AM
Doesn't using submux simply applies the subs, but as softsubs?

Idealistic
Mon, 03-26-2007, 10:37 AM
Doesn't using submux simply applies the subs, but as softsubs?

It merges the .srt file and .avi file and outputs it into a new hardsubbed .avi.

But I think you can only use it once or something... Because I did it for this one movie which worked fine, but when I tried to do it for other movies the output file's duration is 00:00:00.

Unless I'm missing something... :(