PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Movies and TV Shows

Munsu
Sun, 02-11-2007, 06:29 AM
A while ago we used to have a forum section for Movies and TV Shows, wondering if we could have that forum section recreated. I remember that forum being having good activity, and was taken off for whatever reason. Heck, we have that useless Fansubbing forum section, I think a Movies and TV Shows one has more validity for existance.

Heck, we also had a Gaming (though it didn't have that much activity as far as I remember) forum section, maybe we can combine the three, and make a forum section for Gaming, Movies, and TV Shows.

Kraco
Sun, 02-11-2007, 07:23 AM
I could actually fully support this one. If you have a look at the General Discussion, it has quite a few multi page threads about TV shows. Certainly should be enough to warrant their own section. That way they would also be kept more readily available for those who like to visit them, and not cluttered around the page by other general discussion topics.

Now, I'm not generally any great supported of separate sections for every little thing, but this particular case could be a legitimate rearrangement.

Assassin
Mon, 02-12-2007, 01:35 AM
ya, i wouldn't mind seeing teh moves/tv section back.

complich8
Mon, 02-12-2007, 02:45 AM
Added a poll. Bring me ... I dunno, let's say 30 or so "yes" votes and a majority of "yes" over "no" and I'll do it.

If there's really a significant enough demand for this, then I'll do it. If you fall short of my arbitrarily-chosen 30, then I won't care enough to bother :p.

You've got 10 days. The clock's ticking. Get cracking.

Munsu
Mon, 02-12-2007, 03:06 AM
You had to give a third option to make it harder didn't you? Well, as of this moment, I declare that people that vote "Don't care" are considered "Yes!" votes.

Plus, you added that liquor comment, now people are going to be seduced by the alcohol.

XanBcoo
Mon, 02-12-2007, 03:42 AM
I really enjoyed having a separate forum for Movies and TV shows. The General Discussion section has felt extremely cluttered ever since.

Voted "yes".

complich8
Mon, 02-12-2007, 04:30 AM
hey, I'm the only one who's voted for "don't care" so far. And I'm counting them as abstentions :p.

Ryllharu
Mon, 02-12-2007, 08:19 AM
I'm always one for more organization, even if I never really delve into the "TV and Movie" themed threads (other than Dexter once or twice). If there is a different section for it, perhaps it will also provoke people to more discussion. It might also encourage discussion of j-dramas and k-dramas (not that I watch any, but some people here surely do).

Arcn3ss
Mon, 02-12-2007, 09:36 AM
I think a separate forum section for TV and Movies would be a good addition to the forums. Iam a sucker for organization, so not seeing countless TV/Movie threads littered all over the general discussion section would be great.

Turkish-S
Mon, 02-12-2007, 09:51 AM
Yes........please..

RedX1z
Mon, 02-12-2007, 10:30 AM
these are one of those things where the liquor comment comes second to the main goal of this thread. this is something i actually want to see go through. i understand gaming not having it's own section, because it easily dies out after a while. least people will come back to tv shows like once a week or so.

so, basically, i voted yeah!

You've got 10 days. The clock's ticking. Get cracking. talk about generousity, we'll make you regret giving us that much time, and your liquor option! *revotes for liquor*

Kraco
Mon, 02-12-2007, 11:24 AM
talk about generousity, we'll make you regret giving us that much time, ...

I don't know... Complich is a master of statistics. If his own opinion is against this (secretly), then it could be he has carefully calculated the odds are against "aye" in the given time and with the treshold he set. However, if he really doesn't care, like he said, then it could be a fair race.

complich8
Mon, 02-12-2007, 11:55 AM
Nah, I'm calculating, but I'm not that calculating.

Way I figure it, there's about 90-100 regular posters on the forums, and about 60 of them wander through general discussion on a regular basis (very rough estimate based on the turnout of the df-title poll). If you get 30, then you've got support from a big chunk of active users.

I picked 10 days because I figured, it'd give everyone a bit more than a week, which should give them all a chance to see the latest TV/movie discussion. A fair chance, and a balance between being relatively prompt about taking (or not taking) action and giving people the opportunity to vote. I felt that 2 weeks was too long, and a week is shorter than the regular viewing cycle so too short.

Honestly, I haven't run the statistics, so I don't know how well you guys are going to do, but at 12-1-1, it seems like you're off to a good start. Good luck!

Basically, my motivation for the poll and the relatively high bar is that I want to have firm grounds to refute ciber when he next shows up and bitches about it and changes it back ... which I figure we're due for in about 3 or 4 months.

KitKat
Mon, 02-12-2007, 01:41 PM
I tried my best to convince Ciber to bring this one and the video game sections back when he scrapped them, but alas he was unmovable. TV and Movies get more discussion than some of our anime sections at the moment. I very much would like to see this back.

gr3atfull
Mon, 02-12-2007, 03:37 PM
Voted yes.

It will be much more organized in the General Discussion with the movie and TV shows threads removed from there and have their own section.

Assassin
Mon, 02-12-2007, 07:39 PM
I've moved this to the general discussion section cuz,

1. more people tend to visit this section then the GW Suggestions section, and
2. cuz i haven't had a lot to do in terms of mod'ing lately, and i wanna feel important >.>

Knives122
Mon, 02-12-2007, 07:45 PM
I said yes. I like movies and I like tv. The perfect combo.

DB_Hunter
Mon, 02-12-2007, 07:50 PM
I remember us having a Movies and TV Shows section, though I don't remember what the activity was like there.

For the record, I voted Yes.

XanBcoo
Mon, 02-12-2007, 08:34 PM
Basically, my motivation for the poll and the relatively high bar is that I want to have firm grounds to refute ciber when he next shows up and bitches about it and changes it back ... which I figure we're due for in about 3 or 4 months.
I remember when that happened the first time. What kind of work does having a separate section for TV and movies entail? Is it really that much of a problem? Pretty much everyone in this thread (both regulars and mods) has agreed that it would receive adequate sub-forum traffic and keep the General Discussion more organized. What's the deal with not having one?

hitokiriender
Mon, 02-12-2007, 08:38 PM
I voted the 3rd option cause I love alcohol but if all 3 options had alcohol then I would vote Yes, as well.

Munsu
Mon, 02-12-2007, 09:08 PM
I voted the 3rd option cause I love alcohol but if all 3 options had alcohol then I would vote Yes, as well.
Thanks for the help, I'll remember it...

RedX1z
Mon, 02-12-2007, 09:33 PM
remember it when we have 1 vote less than expected on the last day, then we bury his remains.

Death13a
Mon, 02-12-2007, 09:53 PM
Voted yesss. Need 5 more people get clicking

Assassin
Tue, 02-13-2007, 01:15 AM
Huzzah! comp makes a poll, it gets like 18 votes in about 17 hours. i move it to GD and offer incentives, and it gets 12 votes in like 5.5 hours.

bribes ftw!

I think as a thankyou, the new forum should be named after me. Or atleast have a giant picture of me, with its own "Thank you Assassin" thread where people can express thier gratitude towards me for making this happen. I mean, its only fair.

Kraco
Tue, 02-13-2007, 02:44 AM
I think as a thankyou, the new forum should be named after me. Or atleast have a giant picture of me, with its own "Thank you Assassin" thread where people can express thier gratitude towards me for making this happen. I mean, its only fair.

I don't know... After all the trouble of getting the new forum, you would deter all user from visiting it by placing a giant Assassin statue there? Kind of self-destructive, don't you think? :p

It's pretty amazing that the votes came this quickly. I don't think Complich expected this manner of speed at all. Only time will tell if this is going to stop Ciber, though. Let's hope so.

el_boss
Tue, 02-13-2007, 06:57 AM
Call it "Other Media" or "entertainment " and get in games, comics, plays and so on.

Super5
Tue, 02-13-2007, 02:18 PM
I voted yes... it would clean up the general discussion quite a bit, since about half the threads are on TV shows and movies. It looks like we've met your requirements, Complich8, so whaddya say?

SK
Wed, 02-14-2007, 01:31 AM
I motion to unban Y and Mut, then ban them after a month, for no reason.

Zinobi
Wed, 02-14-2007, 01:50 AM
i voted yes because i was told to :p

complich8
Wed, 02-14-2007, 03:22 AM
I motion to unban Y and Mut, then ban them after a month, for no reason.
Hilarious. Denied.

I voted yes... it would clean up the general discussion quite a bit, since about half the threads are on TV shows and movies. It looks like we've met your requirements, Complich8, so whaddya say?
Sure. But not until the poll closes. Want to see the final score.

DB_Hunter
Tue, 02-20-2007, 07:03 PM
Isn't the time up on this thing yet?

dragonrage
Wed, 02-21-2007, 06:25 PM
nope, it is set for 10 days and well from the time complich8 made his post to now is just 9ish.

Edit: votes Yes, would have voted for the liquor but someone was watching me vote :p

Danad_corps
Thu, 02-22-2007, 12:25 AM
so hard to choose between liquor and anything! Finally, my OCD overcame my alcoholism in an epic battle that left me (and therefore the mouse) motionless for all of 20 seconds.

complich8
Thu, 02-22-2007, 02:45 AM
*sigh*

so apparently my hope that 40 or 50 lurkers would suddenly surface 5 minutes before the end of the poll and make it swing the other way didn't quite materialize.

Such is life, I guess.

Movies and TV forum created. I harvested some of the "low-hanging fruit" threads on the first 5 or so pages worth of thready goodness, in order to populate it a bit. I'm not doing any more though, it's up to the mod staff to find the TV and Movie threads that I'm certain to have missed, and move them appropriately.

I'd still like to see TV: and Movie: prefixes on thread titles in there though, even though they're in their own home now, it's still a shared space.

Assassin
Thu, 02-22-2007, 07:40 AM
yayness. thanx compy