PDA

View Full Version : Movie: 300

Aclypze
Wed, 01-17-2007, 08:09 PM
I just found out about this movie, although its been in development for a while. The trailer makes me wet my pants. Suppose to be out this summer sometime.

http://300themovie.warnerbros.com/

(I haven't been on in quite a while and I'm not sure if this was already posted. I searched the forums and found nothing, but I always did do that and ended up making a double topic. Sorry if I did.)

FrogKing
Wed, 01-17-2007, 08:22 PM
I don't think there has been a thread for it. I think this movie looks great (a Frank Miller comic); however, with the March release date I am skeptical of the story/action (vs. releasing in the summer). I do remember way back then that the Matrix was a late winter release, so maybe this'll be as epic as it looks. I will be watching it for sure!

"Spartan's tonight we dine in Hell"

<fingers crossed>

eat_toast
Wed, 01-17-2007, 09:00 PM
Wow, looks like it will be pretty cool. Any movie that has epic battle scenes is good in my book. Being inspired by Frank Miller isn't exactly a bad thing either :D. Looking forward to it.

Aeon
Wed, 01-17-2007, 09:50 PM
Yes this movie will be awesome dispite what my friends say. I think I may even go the movies to see it instead of waiting for the dvd.

kAi
Wed, 01-17-2007, 10:33 PM
Just watched the trailer, looks like it should be good.

Knives122
Wed, 01-17-2007, 10:45 PM
This movie is going to be so badass. We get cg made up monsters, bunches of arrows, an actual war movie that doesn't seem like it'll turn into a story about love(Troy), and a big wolf that looks like Fenrir

Terracosmo
Wed, 01-17-2007, 11:03 PM
I've been having my eyes on this movie for quite some time now, I just love Frank Miller's work. There is no way in hell this won't own everybody's shit!

Kraco
Thu, 01-18-2007, 04:07 AM
Yeah. When I saw the trailer for the first time, I thought this would be a movie with serious attitude, and one to be watched for sure.

Genma
Thu, 01-18-2007, 11:33 AM
The trailers left me sort of breathless, because they look so creative and good.

... Although many movies I'm initially impressed by turn out to be dissapointments. I hope that isn't the case for this one.

el_boss
Thu, 01-18-2007, 02:35 PM
God of War: The Movie... sort of.

Man I'm really looking forward to this. It looks like it will kick the asses of all "epics" in the last couple of years.

dark maginn
Thu, 01-18-2007, 05:35 PM
this is going to be so awsome gonna watch this for sure

joker-kun
Thu, 01-18-2007, 05:37 PM
Yeah this movie looks totally badass. I remember seeing like a tiny teaser tralier for it like a year ago. That new trailer just made me cream myself... more than once if I may add...

Oops, here it comes again!

Paulyboy
Fri, 01-19-2007, 08:33 PM
Wow good movie Ebert and Roper can go kiss my mixed ass if they don't give this movie 2 middle fingers up. Battle scenes and the picture looks real good, plus the main character battles a wolf (Yes IT COULD BE FENRIR, jk) when he was a kid , how bad-ass can that be, no wonder why he was chosen leader. I would see this in the theaters real blazed up! With my munchies.

stratosthegreek
Sat, 03-10-2007, 02:51 AM
just saw the movie tonight...and i give it two greek thumbs wayyyy up...such a badass movie i have to go back and see it again at the IMAX...highly recommend it...not for the weak of stomache though

Lucifus
Sat, 03-10-2007, 05:49 AM
I'm going to see it with a couple of my friends tommorow. Every review its gotten, here at Gotwoot, people playing Counterstrike, friends, aim, general internet has given it Thumbs up. If it hasn't gotten a single badreview yet its gotta be good.

Yukimura
Sat, 03-10-2007, 08:32 PM
Well that was a pretty awesome film. In addition to all the awesome gore there were some pretty funny lines as well. My personal favorite, "I'm going for a walk, these 300 men are my personal bodyguards." I was somewhat upset that Leonidas didn't die by the sword, but I guess anyone who tried to fight him one on one would probably have died anyway. All in all it was a very entertaining film and anyone who likes war, violence, and savagery should go see it.

Carnage
Sat, 03-10-2007, 11:14 PM
Graphics were nice. Didnt have a great plot, but I wasn't expecting one. The major problem I had was lesbian sex scene. Now, Im all up for lesbians, but when they're scarred,amputated monsters, thats where I draw the line. But other than that, it was an alright movie to kill time with.

Edit: ^^ I do agree, it did have its funny moments.

Rek
Sun, 03-11-2007, 12:46 AM
If you liked Sin City, this movie is along the same lines.

in my opinion:

Beautiful Art, Amazing Fights, and I haven't felt that bisexual since I watched interview with the vampire.

and my favorite hilarious line was "There's no reason we can't be civil"

complich8
Sun, 03-11-2007, 01:04 AM
Saw it in a theater like .... 3 hours ago.

I liked how the director dragged in very, very gratuitous sex and sexuality to counterbalance the prevalent sinew-and-abs motif. Drunken loli-oracle, the queen, Xerces's hoes ... it was good times.

The perpetual sepia-tone was an interesting artistic tool. Overall, combat was very well-choreographed, the effects were mostly quite good (with very few exceptions). Lots of fast-framerate gave it a good feel too ... I was very visually pleased with this movie.

Overall, this movie was very much worth seeing.

Rek
Sun, 03-11-2007, 01:16 AM
word, and its just as good the 2nd time around. I think they did the tone thing because I'm pretty positive most of the muscles were photoshopped, and it makes it less obvious.

Genma
Sun, 03-11-2007, 02:48 PM
I would see this in the theaters real blazed up! With my munchies.

Wrong. Having seen many movies stoned (such as Smokin' Aces and... erg... Ghost Rider *cringe*), I can honestly say that seeing this movie high would not be a good idea. I saw it somewhat buzzed from a few grams my friends and I shared earlier, and I was incredibly relieved that I hadn't gone to see it high.

As for my opinion on the movie, I'd say that it's a little overrated. No, very overrated. It's a good movie, that's for sure, but it's not spectacular. And the ninjas -- or should I say "immortals" -- made me laugh more than anything.

Wasn't even an accurate portrayal of the actual battle, either. The Thespians never ran away like cowards. Jeez, I bet if they could look down from heaven or whatever and see what they're portrayed as, they'd be pissed as hell.

Overall opinion: It was good and didn't dissapoint, but wasn't "the greatest movie" as some are making it out to be.

AngelEyez
Sun, 03-11-2007, 03:32 PM
I've been wanting to see this movie since I heard about it. But alas, it doesn't come out here til the end of the month.

Meh, why is the UK always one of the last to get films over here? :(

Super5
Mon, 03-12-2007, 04:36 PM
I saw it and liked it. The scene in Xerxes tent was pretty strange, though; I'm not sure what the point of that was, unless you're into some freaky stuff. I disagree that the muscles were photoshopped, they all looked real (especially on Leonidas) except for the ones on the hunchback traitor. Those were prosthetics.

The difference in the soldiers that were slaughtered and the ones that actually killed some of the Spartans wasn't clear. The ones that died seemed just as good as the ones that lived. The "immortals" were a disappointment, and the death of the captain's son was also stupid. He just killed more than a dozen guys effortlessly, yet he can't avoid one horseman with a sword? Come on.

complich8
Mon, 03-12-2007, 05:47 PM
He was too busy being puffed up with pride at his father's acknowledgment to notice the fast-approaching horseman.

Yukimura
Mon, 03-12-2007, 06:14 PM
I think the point of the son's death was that he stopped paying attention to the fight because his father called out to him and was going to praise him. That made it all the more tragic for the dad b/c he probably felt responsible for drawing his attention in addition to allowing him to come in the first place.

Kensee
Wed, 03-14-2007, 04:45 AM
I watched this movie ...

I now yell "This is SPARDAAAAAAAA!" at random times.

Genma
Wed, 03-14-2007, 09:48 AM
I I disagree that the muscles were photoshopped, they all looked real (especially on Leonidas)

There's actually one scene where Leonidas' "real" abs accidently shift position.

So no, they're not real.

Paulyboy
Wed, 03-14-2007, 01:52 PM
Movie was bad ass, saw it sober. I can't believe that Leonidas wife let that guy bang her "You think this isn't going to last long, well your mistaken im not your precious king." But hey at least she stabbed the fool for sweet revenge. Near the end of the movie when he was about to bow I was like WTF THIS CAN'T be happening then all of a sudden I saw a guy jump up in the air and attacks a persian, then that spear just hit him right on the cheek but went right through that gold plated throne. Leonidas spear skills are pretty bad ass though his spear hits were stronger than the rest. All in all movie was great. Also the 2 guys owning the persians was also a sweet scene.

Yukimura
Wed, 03-14-2007, 02:41 PM
@Paulboy, I think you should replace all your Xerses' with Leonidas'...then you'd be talking about the right movie.

fahoumh
Fri, 03-16-2007, 01:43 AM
I watched the movie earlier tonight and to be honest I thought it was pretty good, but definitely didn't live up to the hype. I actually enjoyed reading the comics more than watching the movie...call me crazy, I guess.

Lucifus
Sun, 03-18-2007, 12:08 AM
Guns down fahoumh in the street.

I will say it now. I've seen alot of films and shows/anime. "300" beats them all hands down. Makes me very very happy that I go to Lakewood High School, home of the Spartans. Greatest film I've ever seen. Totally loved it and am going to see it again as soon as possible. I'm buying the DVD and this is most definatly something my kids will see! Thats how great it is!

"SPARTANS!! TONIGHT WE DINE IN HELL!!!!!!"

complich8
Sun, 03-18-2007, 02:13 AM
... you realize that "spartans" are the mascot of like one out of every maybe twenty junior high and high schools in existence, right?

Lucifus
Sun, 03-18-2007, 02:31 AM
True, but, the rest of those 19 are a bunch of cats/bears/ducks etc/ xD

Let us see how they fair against 10,000 Spartans!

fahoumh
Sun, 03-18-2007, 09:09 AM
Guns down fahoumh in the street.
Hahaha...yeah, I think my problem was constantly comparing everything in the movie to the comics, word for word, scene for panel. All the little inconsistencies kept bothering me, but then again I'm a pretty strange guy. And don't get me wrong, the movie was awesome in terms of the action and even the acting and direction were good. I'm surprised they managed to not let the movie get cheesy considering this is a comic book on film. I'd still give the movie an 8/10....it's just that I was expecting a 10/10 and left the theatre a little disappointed.

XanBcoo
Sun, 03-18-2007, 08:23 PM
I guess this movie was OK. I saw it last week.

There was a lot of talk about Freedom, and pride, and fighting for what's right. Then some yelling and some stabbing. Then they went back to talking about never backing down. Then there was some more stabbing and yelling. Then they talked again for a while about freedom, and then there was more stabbing and yelling and oiled chests. Then they talked again.

The choreography and special effects and monsters were really cool, but mainly it was just a bunch of stabbing. And talking. And more oiled chests and well-toned (possibly fake?) abs. I give it a 7/10. It was definitely entertaining for an afternoon.

What I couldn't get over was how perfect the guy playing Dilios would be to play Solid Snake. Especially when his eye got stabbed, and he wrapped his eye up with that bandage. He looked like the 4th clone of Big Boss.

David Wenham as Solid Snake?? (http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/5306/wenhamissnakebt1.jpg) <-- found that on IMDB.

Board of Command
Sun, 03-18-2007, 09:23 PM
I'd still give the movie an 8/10....it's just that I was expecting a 10/10 and left the theatre a little disappointed.
I had the same expectation. People were saying how good it was, and when I watched definitely didn't think it was as good as they said it was. 8/10 for me as well.

dragonrage
Sun, 03-25-2007, 11:55 AM
finally saw this movie and i am glad that i saw it on imax. This movie made me want to go out a punch something in a good way. Definitely a good start to the summer.

"....cause only real spartan women, bare real spartan men..." priceless.

Not the best movie i have seen but it certainly was one of the better ones.

darkmetal505
Sun, 03-25-2007, 03:33 PM
Awesome cinematics mixed with some cheesy dialouge. It did give you that "pumped" feeling though.

7/10.

XanBcoo
Sun, 03-25-2007, 04:20 PM
This movie made me want to go out a punch something in a good way.
This movie made me feel inadequate as a man :(.

btw, I watched this thing about the training the actors had to go through to get in shape for this movie. The muscles weren't photoshopped.

Sandldan
Tue, 03-27-2007, 04:08 PM
Havent had time to see the movie just yet, have just heared the usual citates from all over the net. But i think this Disney version is pretty far off or is it? What if disney made 300? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNqiSkd1M6k)

Board of Command
Fri, 04-06-2007, 08:06 PM
OMGLAWLZ

That parady is awesome.

el_boss
Sat, 04-07-2007, 04:31 AM
BEST MOVIE EVER!

The asses of all other movies ever made are officially kicked.

Raven
Wed, 04-11-2007, 03:26 AM
Such amazing cinematography. I never wanted my eyes to leave the screen.

I thought the character development was good, too. I sort of expected him to be this psychotic killing machine but he was much calmer than that, and actually cared about his family.

It felt a bit like the side-plot with Queen Gorgo and Theron was tacked on and unnecessary, and I've heard it wasn't actually in the Frank Miller novel?

Lol @ all the people saying the movie's racist against Iran. And ROFL @ all those complaining it's not historically accurate. Er, it wasn't meant to be.

el_boss
Wed, 04-11-2007, 04:23 AM
Lol @ all the people saying the movie's racist against Iran.Srsly I'm from Iran and I don't even get what's supposed to be racist about it.

gr3atfull
Wed, 04-11-2007, 01:57 PM
Lol @ all the people saying the movie's racist against Iran. And ROFL @ all those complaining it's not historically accurate. Er, it wasn't meant to be.

I haven't seen the movie, but from what I heard the reason why people say this movie is racist is because they portrait the Iranians as barbarians.

el_boss
Wed, 04-11-2007, 02:42 PM
I haven't seen the movie, but from what I heard the reason why people say this movie is racist is because they portrait the Iranians as barbarians.lol that must be the most biased argument ever.

Carnage
Wed, 04-11-2007, 03:50 PM
Im from Iran and I didnt find this movie racist at all.

I just thought it was okay though, action was great, but the plot was a little weak. The movie had its good moments....

el_boss
Wed, 04-11-2007, 03:54 PM
the plot was a little weakIt had a plot? :P

XanBcoo
Wed, 04-11-2007, 07:04 PM
It had a plot? :P
Something about freedom...

Actually, did anyone else crack up when Queen Gorgo was talking about freedom. She flat out said "Freedom isn't free".

Buck 'o five...

itadakimasu
Wed, 04-11-2007, 07:54 PM
I saw 300 opening night. the battle scenes were pretty awesome.

my theater playlist 2007 : ATHF, Spiderman 3, Pirates, Die Hard 4... and maybe hollywood will not die out half way through the year but will surprise me with something else worthwhile later in the year.

Danad_corps
Wed, 04-11-2007, 11:19 PM
This movie was goddamn awesome. I had high expectations going in and it delivered in spades. I loved the cinematography!

The disney spoof is funny as hell...BRUSH YOUR TEETH!!

Raven
Thu, 04-12-2007, 05:06 AM
Actually, did anyone else crack up when Queen Gorgo was talking about freedom. She flat out said "Freedom isn't free".

Buck 'o five...

ROFL, yes I started laughing and nobody knew why. That was hilarious.

gr3atfull
Fri, 04-20-2007, 05:24 PM
Somebody neg rep me my last post on this thread saying that “If you haven't seen, don't speculate”. I totally agree with this neg rep and I watched the movie to have my own opinion.

I just watched the movie and I think it’s good. It is really entertaining. However, I find that the battle scenes become a bit repetitive after a while. I give it a 7.5/10.

It seems every one here is a Persian. I am also Persian. I understand why Persians can find this movie offensive. I grew up in a typical Persian house and not in a “western house” unlike few of my Persian friends. Let me explain this and maybe you will understand why it might be a bit offensive for them.

Persians are a kind of people that are very proud of who they are and their culture. Since birth, the parents/family will tell you how rich the culture is by showing off with Cyrus the great who created the first charter of rights, who freed the Jews and who let the other have their own culture and religion under his reign. Also, they would also tell you how great they were with the poet Khayyam or the poet and writer Ferdoswi. They are also proud that under the arab assimilation they still kept their language and their culture. They did not become a follower. They were happy of all that except with the Islamic revolution in 79.

Persians care a lot about their culture and their history. To see Hollywood picture them like that is an insult. Plus, it was few days before the Persian New Year. It is an insult to them.

Hope I explained everything well ……

Assassin
Sat, 04-21-2007, 03:05 PM
i imagine thats how the russians felt through out the late 80's and 90's :p