PDA

View Full Version : DS Lite or PSP; what would you get and why?

Kensee
Sat, 01-13-2007, 06:32 PM
I got some gift cards for Christmas, which would pretty much pay off most of the ds lite or the psp, and now I'm stuck....

Which one should I get?

Ds lite has fun games (elite beat agents, advance wars), but PSP has been getting some good games in recently as well (MGS Port Ops, Tekken, Gitaroo, Ultimate alliance, etc). Both also have other options too as to play music and stuff.

The thing that prevents me on a solid decision is which will last me longer, are more fun and more enjoyed in the long run. Anyone who has bought a dslite and or a PSP who can give me their input on how they like their systems and why I should get that would be great. Gift cards and cash only allow for me to buy either a ds lite or a psp, not both (so please don't say get both =P).

UChessmaster
Sat, 01-13-2007, 06:45 PM
If you can get the right psp i suggest getting it, it allows for some homebrew and perfect emulations of the psx, not to mention some near perfect emulations of most consoles, handlets, so you have a damn big game library

complich8
Sat, 01-13-2007, 06:46 PM
I voted DS-Lite, 'cause the DS has a much more compelling, much more interesting library than the PSP.

I mean, you named 2 games for the DS, and 4 for the PSP, but really I'd say there's better than a dozen particularly fun ds games that I know of, and I don't even HAVE one :p.

Not to mention backwards-compatibility with the gba and its insane library of games.

Everyone I know who bought a PSP enjoyed it for about two months ... it's a nice little system with some really good specs and nice graphics and all, but ... there's just not a lot of interesting games for it.

(this may or may not hold true for you, depending on your definition of "interesting" games...)

dark maginn
Sat, 01-13-2007, 06:49 PM
i would get a psp cause theirs good movies and some good games for it but ds lite is fun to.....i think its for kids like 7-12 years old.
this is my opinion.

complich8
Sat, 01-13-2007, 06:52 PM
i would get a psp cause theirs good movies and some good games for it but ds lite is fun to.....i think its for kids like 7-12 years old.
this is my opinion.

So, you'd seriously consider getting movies on UMD?

... seriously?

Kensee
Sat, 01-13-2007, 06:55 PM
If you can get the right psp i suggest getting it, it allows for some homebrew and perfect emulations of the psx, not to mention some near perfect emulations of most consoles, handlets, so you have a damn big game library

How well do the roms and stuff run on the screen of the psp? Does it also loose any graphic quality while playing them on the psp (in other words, the normally visable rom appears blurry on psp screen?)

I voted DS-Lite, 'cause the DS has a much more compelling, much more interesting library than the PSP.

I mean, you named 2 games for the DS, and 4 for the PSP, but really I'd say there's better than a dozen particularly fun ds games that I know of, and I don't even HAVE one :p.

Not to mention backwards-compatibility with the gba and its insane library of games.

Everyone I know who bought a PSP enjoyed it for about two months ... it's a nice little system with some really good specs and nice graphics and all, but ... there's just not a lot of interesting games for it.

(this may or may not hold true for you, depending on your definition of "interesting" games...)

Ah I always been a nintendo fan, and I know there are A LOT more fun games on the DS (just was in the bathroom while typing this .. so I couldn't list all that I could).

The people who you said bought the psp... did they still play around with their psps? Or is it just collecting dust somewhere. I'm curious how well the music playback is on it.

Edit: Oh yeah, how is the online game play on the ds? (DS seems like a good choice for me but a very stubborn picky side of me is still hanging on to that psp.)

UChessmaster
Sat, 01-13-2007, 06:59 PM
How well do the roms and stuff run on the screen of the psp? Does it also loose any graphic quality while playing them on the psp (in other words, the normally visable rom appears blurry on psp screen?)

The psx emulator is 100% perfect IMO it has an option to play it fullscreen or 3:2, same with GBA, but not EVERY psp has homebrew capacity, that`s why you got to make sure you get the right one

i was thinking about showin you castlevania for psx on psp but my cam quality is terrible :(

ChaosK
Sat, 01-13-2007, 07:33 PM
PSP, provided you can also get yourself a decent sized prostick duo.

The most fun two games of the DS I've played are phoenix wright: ace attorney and advanced wars 2. The PSP has some great other games such as the recent bleach heat to the soul (something like that) 3.

if you know what you're doing with the PSP it's definitely worth it to use Devhook so you can place PSP isos directly onto your memory stick and play from there. Basically, the only game you'd ever need to buy would be Grand Theft Auto: liberty city stories (to hack it).

the PSX emulator is also kickass and great, never thought I'd get to play narutimette hero 3 on the go. :D

Edit: also mentioned before with movies, with PSP video 9 you can convert any video (basically) to an MP4 so you can watch it from your PSP which means you don't need to buy the UMDs just download the movie and convert it and you're ready to go.

Ryllharu
Sat, 01-13-2007, 07:36 PM
As a proud owner of a DS Fat, I can say hands down that a DS is the only way to go.

1) Cheaper by a considerable margin
2) Stronger library (consistently better titles out there)
3) Load times are short
4) Nintendo knows the DS is their powerhouse device, and will continue to support it.

I can honestly say I've bought more games for my DS in the two years I've had it than for both the 360 and my PS2. The Phoenix Wright series, Mario Kart, Yoshi's Island DS (excellent platformer by the way), Trauma Center, Meteos, and the list goes on. There's variety with the DS that you really couldn't get anywhere else until the Wii.

The PSP "allows" for some great customizing, but you'll have to put a lot more time (and some money) into it to really get everything you can out of it. The DS, jam a cartridge in and go.

Battery life is a concern too. The DS defeats the PSP pretty handily on that one.

UChessmaster
Sat, 01-13-2007, 07:41 PM
PSP, provided you can also get yourself a decent sized prostick duo.

The most fun two games of the DS I've played are phoenix wright: ace attorney and advanced wars 2. The PSP has some great other games such as the recent bleach heat to the soul (something like that) 3.

if you know what you're doing with the PSP it's definitely worth it to use Devhook so you can place PSP isos directly onto your memory stick and play from there. Basically, the only game you'd ever need to buy would be Grand Theft Auto: liberty city stories (to hack it).

the PSX emulator is also kickass and great, never thought I'd get to play narutimette hero 3 on the go. :D

Edit: also mentioned before with movies, with PSP video 9 you can convert any video (basically) to an MP4 so you can watch it from your PSP which means you don't need to buy the UMDs just download the movie and convert it and you're ready to go.

you dont need devhook to play isos anymore nor GTA and narutimate hero 3 is not on psp o.0 you meant narutimate portable?

ChaosK
Sat, 01-13-2007, 08:02 PM
you dont need devhook to play isos anymore nor GTA and narutimate hero 3 is not on psp o.0 you meant narutimate portable?

I wasn't aware, I still use devhook. And yeah, I made a mistake. :p

As a proud owner of a DS Fat, I can say hands down that a DS is the only way to go.

1) Cheaper by a considerable margin

Really...yet in the next paragraph you say...

I can honestly say I've bought more games for my DS in the two years I've had it than for both the 360 and my PS2. The Phoenix Wright series, Mario Kart, Yoshi's Island DS (excellent platformer by the way), Trauma Center, Meteos, and the list goes on. There's variety with the DS that you really couldn't get anywhere else until the Wii.

2 things can be known from this
1) you've clearly spent a shitload (if we say each game cst $30, and you've listed 6 that's already $180 and you say "the list goes on") of money on the DS for all the games, making up for the "considerable margin" you say it's cheaper by.

2) you speak as an obvious nintendo fan.

After spending the money on the system and a decent sized card, you can play all the games without ever buying them...how is that cheaper?

The PSP "allows" for some great customizing, but you'll have to put a lot more time (and some money) into it to really get everything you can out of it. The DS, jam a cartridge in and go.

Battery life is a concern too. The DS defeats the PSP pretty handily on that one.

A great deal of time and money...one hour and about $270 (PSP 200+ 2gb prostick duo $50(sale)+20(GTA)=270)

Battery life has never been a concern with me, one thing you will want to get if you get the PSP is the extended warranty, for with mine, I've had systems with nothing wrong except a stuck pixel, I brought it in and they gave me a completely new one. So if you ever encounter one of these "battery problems" then simply trade it in a for a new one.

Bucket
Sat, 01-13-2007, 08:22 PM
I may not get either. GP2X, on the other hand, is an interesting prospect.

FrogKing
Sat, 01-13-2007, 08:37 PM
The psx emulator is 100% perfect IMO it has an option to play it fullscreen or 3:2, same with GBA, but not EVERY psp has homebrew capacity, that`s why you got to make sure you get the right one

i was thinking about showin you castlevania for psx on psp but my cam quality is terrible :(

I too am in the same boat as Kensee and was leaning towards the psp...how do i know which is the right one? I am very interested in the psx emulator. Thanks.

UChessmaster
Sat, 01-13-2007, 09:04 PM
if your psp is BEYOND firmware 2.80 then no homebrew for you, no isos, no psx games, nothing, the firmware that we want is 2.71 or lower, then you have to go to a process to make your psp to 1.5 and then 3.03OE-B wich allows non oficial sony programs, AKA homebrews

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqvcHhbN2Lk Castlevania circle of the moon on an old GBA emulator

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRVmOxx_bKg Castlevania simphony of the night on the psx emulator

Ryllharu
Sat, 01-13-2007, 09:27 PM
1) you've clearly spent a shitload (if we say each game cst $30, and you've listed 6 that's already $180 and you say "the list goes on") of money on the DS for all the games, making up for the "considerable margin" you say it's cheaper by.
After spending the money on the system and a decent sized card, you can play all the games without ever buying them...how is that cheaper?
Oh no! I actually support the developers of games I enjoy instead of stealing them. What a horrible thought that they might use those sales to make more/better games.

2) you speak as an obvious nintendo fan. So quick to call me a fanboy? Honestly tell me that I can play games like the ones I listed on the DS. I'm tired of playing fighting and racing games, why the hell would I want to play games on the PSP? That's what the best of the top rated games are (according to rating on Gamespot). GTA? I got tired of them after Vice City. MGS? After MGS3, same. Tactical Shooters like SOCOM? There's an original game concept. Lumines? Played it on XBL Arcade, hated it compared to Meteos. Compared to the shear variety of games I listed, what exactly am I missing out on? It's not an issue of nintendo versus sony. It an issue of 3rd party developers making innovative games.

A great deal of time and money...one hour and about $270 (PSP 200+ 2gb prostick duo $50(sale)+20(GTA)=270) Why should I even have to spend more money than on the initial purchase of a handheld and a few games?

Battery life has never been a concern with meGo on a trip across 3 or 4 states in a car. Tell me that the batteries will last all the way through 2 states.

UChessmaster
Sat, 01-13-2007, 09:44 PM
Oh no! I actually support the developers of games I enjoy instead of stealing them. What a horrible thought that they might use those sales to make more/better games.

A) You do know the amount of ppl that play iso are less than 3% right?

B) Don`t call us thieves, you download anime right?

So quick to call me a fanboy? Honestly tell me that I can play games like the ones I listed on the DS. I'm tired of playing fighting and racing games, why the hell would I want to play games on the PSP? That's what the best of the top rated games are (according to rating on Gamespot). GTA? I got tired of them after Vice City. MGS? After MGS3, same. Tactical Shooters like SOCOM? There's an original game concept. Lumines? Played it on XBL Arcade, hated it compared to Meteos. Compared to the shear variety of games I listed, what exactly am I missing out on? It's not an issue of nintendo versus sony. It an issue of 3rd party developers making innovative games.

C) In this post you did sound like a complete fanboy, or maybe you are right, who would want to play tekken dark resurrection, street fighter alpha 3 OR dragon ball z shin budokai? MGS same as 3? did you even played it?... you have meteos yet dissmiss lumines... and youre not a fan... tired of racing games? how is mario kart?, tired of fighting games? how is jump superstars? whats wrong with socom? o.0 you`re missing megeman powered up/maverick hunter x, narutimate hero, sonic rivals valkirye profile, exit, locoroco, btw

Why should I even have to spend more money than on the initial purchase of a handheld and a few games?

D) When people think of the money they spend of something they usually think of the total amount spended

Go on a trip across 3 or 4 states in a car. Tell me that the batteries will last all the way through 2 states.

E) sorry, battery have never been an issue for me

F) relax... no need to get agresive...

EDIT: edited to make it look less messy

complich8
Sat, 01-13-2007, 09:49 PM
The people who you said bought the psp... did they still play around with their psps? Or is it just collecting dust somewhere. I'm curious how well the music playback is on it.

In the couple cases I can think of offhand, they bought the psp, enjoyed it for a couple months like I said, then it sat on a shelf for a couple months while they realized they'd rather be doing other things, then they sold them for a maybe 10-20% loss, realizing they had no desire at all to do anything with their still-shiny still-new handhelds.

Which isn't to say that's what'll happen to you, but ... out of 3 people I can think of who bought it, all three ended up that way.

That said, all three of them also bought it closer to launch (like, within 2 months), so I'd hope that the library has gotten a bit better since then ... That's one of those"ymmv" statements though.

Generally, when I'm considering buying a console, it's for a couple of specific games. I bought the ps2 for 3 games (ffx, disgaea, dmc3)...

I can come up with three or four titles I'd probably call compelling to buy a DS (if I were into the portables deal, which I'm somewhat not), but I'm having trouble coming up with any such titles for the PSP offhand. That could very well be because all the people that I usually get game recommendations from went through their psp phases, got sick of them and sold them off :p. Regardless, I can't think of any other reason to buy a system than for specific games you want to play. So I'd say make yourself a list of the games you're really interested in, and decide from that.

The point being (all prices USD): PSP = $199 + Memory stick ($50) + we'll say $30/game average = for $400, you get a psp and 4 games. DS Lite: $130 + no memory stick ($0) + say $30/game again = for the same $400 you get a DS Lite and 8 or so games.

It's no fun to have a console with no games to play on it. If you've got $200 to spend, you don't have games for the PSP, you do for the DS. If you've got $300 to spend, you've got one or two games for the PSP, or you've got a reasonable library for the DS.

If you're gaming on a budget (and really, who isn't?), then spending an extra $70 on the base console and $50 on a memory stick is (assuming you want to ... you know ... save your games) ... not exactly appealing.

clearly, I spend way too much time composing replies :p

RyougaZell
Sat, 01-13-2007, 09:59 PM
I already have a DS Lite.
Will be buying a PSP when Jean d'Arc and FFVII Crisis Core comes out.

Ryllharu
Sat, 01-13-2007, 10:01 PM
F) You're right, but when I get accused of being a nintendo fanboy for talking about games I had more fun on, I get defensive. (or maybe the mere mention of a Wii marks me a fanboy.)

C) Kart is kart, somehow it never comes off as a racing game in my mind. It came with my DS. But you got me on that one. I suck at megaman games, but I do recall my roommate playing a DS megaman game. I've hated MGS games since 2 actually, I'll give you that one though.

D) Think paycheck to paycheck. I don't think, "I earned $8000 so far this year," I think, "Hmm, $200."
I can put down $200 for a DS Lite and two games. Or using Chaoskiddo's math, $270 for 1 game and a memory stick. You can really tell me that when you buy another game 2 months (and 4 paychecks) later, you're thinking...$270 + $30 vs $200 + $35? It's more likely you think, $35 or $30.

A question about the iso's then [non-threatening tone, well, debating tone]. If you have to ensure that it's an older PSP, doesn't that remove the entire homebrew advantage from the equation of which one is better? When it loses the capability for that expandibility, doesn't it come down to purely price compared to the games?

ChaosK
Sat, 01-13-2007, 10:09 PM
The point being (all prices USD): PSP = $199 + Memory stick ($50) + we'll say $30/game average = for $400, you get a psp and 4 games. DS Lite: $130 + no memory stick ($0) + say $30/game again = for the same $400 you get a DS Lite and 8 or so games.

It's no fun to have a console with no games to play on it. If you've got $200 to spend, you don't have games for the PSP, you do for the DS. If you've got $300 to spend, you've got one or two games for the PSP, or you've got a reasonable library for the DS.

clearly, I spend way too much time composing replies :p

Well, my whole point was that with a sufficient memory stick, there's no need to ever buy a game (besides GTA which can be USED to revert the firmware to 1.5)

UChessmaster
Sat, 01-13-2007, 10:11 PM
D) Think paycheck to paycheck. I don't think, "I earned $8000 so far this year," I think, "Hmm, $200."
I can put down $200 for a DS Lite and two games. Or using Chaoskiddo's math, $270 for 1 game and a memory stick. You can really tell me that when you buy another game 2 months (and 4 paychecks) later, you're thinking...$270 + $30 vs $200 + $35? It's more likely you think, $35 or $30.

This is how i see it, amount spended on psp, 250$, amount of games i own over 20 (thousands if you count emulation)

How much do you need to get a ds and at least 20 games?

A question about the iso's then [non-threatening tone, well, debating tone]. If you have to ensure that it's an older PSP, doesn't that remove the entire homebrew advantage from the equation of which one is better? When it loses the capability for that expandibility, doesn't it come down to purely price compared to the games?

yes and no, even though having a non-homebrew available psp (2.81 and higher) is bad, programs to "downgrade" your psp are always in development, when i bought my psp i had a 2.5 ta-082 psp, a year ago ppl would tell me "youre screwed" but now that is not the case at all so... in a future is almost guaranteed that you will be able to use homebrew, but, if you can get an older psp then go for it

Kensee
Sat, 01-13-2007, 10:17 PM
Hrmm.. haha thanks guys, this is helping a lot. The ROM idea for the psp sounded intersting but I would like to upgrade my system to the newest, which rules that out ;). I'ma go make a list of games and see how it goes.

yes and no, even though having a non-homebrew available psp (2.81 and higher) is bad, programs to "downgrade" your psp are always in development, when i bought my psp i had a 2.5 ta-082 psp, a year ago ppl would tell me "youre screwed" but now that is not the case at all so... in a future is almost guaranteed that you will be able to use homebrew, but, if you can get an older psp then go for it

Yeah upgrading so far isn't bad. Sony is developing an emulator for psp which will allow the playing of ps1 games on the psp, it was released with information about the ps3.

UChessmaster
Sat, 01-13-2007, 10:23 PM
A) you can upgrade to the latest firmware and still have acces to all homebrew o.0

B) the emulator is out already, what do you think we use to play psx games? :p

Ryllharu
Sat, 01-13-2007, 10:42 PM
This is how i see it, amount spended on psp, 250$, amount of games i own over 20 (thousands if you count emulation)

How much do you need to get a ds and at least 20 games?
complich8 already handled this I thought.
Groundrules: No cheating with homebrew for either handheld. Purchased games. Bestbuy average prices per game: PSP $35, DS: $35

Using your most recent method:
PSP $200
DS $130
20 games for either at average price: $700

The ability to save those 20 games will add $50 to the PSP.

kAi
Sun, 01-14-2007, 01:08 AM
I've got a PSP, but I got it for half price when it first came out here, with two 512MB memory sticks. I thought that was an awesome buy, $200AUD

Although, I don't really play it at all.

KitKat
Sun, 01-14-2007, 01:33 AM
Well, since the question is phrased, "What system would you get?", you meaning me in this post, then I'd say hands down the DS. I love the variety and scope of the games available for this system. In particular, I was addicted to Animal Crossing for a while when I had a housemate with a gamecube, and the idea of having Animal Crossing in my pocket is quite tempting. The other game that I found particularly fascinating was one called Electroplankton. I found it pretty amazing that the game not only generated music, but responded to sounds from outside the game as well. Super neat idea. I suppose I'm a bit biased since I've lived with people who owned DS', but never known anyone with a PSP (well, I probably have, but they've never brought it over to me to play). In my mind, the PSP would be a gamble, but I know that for sure I'd love the DS, so there's no reason to take the risk.

NM
Sun, 01-14-2007, 02:20 AM
In my mind, the PSP would be a gamble, but I know that for sure I'd love the DS, so there's no reason to take the risk.

I would have to agree with Kat on this one, if you buy the DS your going to have a great time. I too was pondering what handheld would be a good buy but I was having trouble deciding. PSP has MGS Portable Ops & FF7 Crisis Core that I would love to play to see those storylines but the games on the DS are just so damn fun. My cousin has the DS and I've been playing Sonic Rush and Mario Kart online every single time I go to his house. You can't go wrong with the DS, there's no question about that. And if your a Square-Enix whore like I am, they do have games for the DS like Mario Hoops 3 on 3 and the upcoming FF12 Revenant Wings.

I usually choose a system based on the game library and the DS seems to be the winner for me. As much as I want to play Portable Ops or Crisis Core, it wouldn't really justify getting the PSP just for only those two games. Not to mention the memory sticks you need for it whereas the DS has none, saving you money.

Assertn
Sun, 01-14-2007, 03:01 PM
2) you speak as an obvious nintendo fan.
Lolz....taking the "best defense is a good offense" tactic like a good sony fanboy. This seems to be a favorite technique of chaoskiddo's.

Since I know I can't mention anything about consoles without a slew of resources, here's one that might be of use:
http://www.1up.com/do/feature?pager.offset=0&cId=3148983

It seems the DS is seriously kicking PSP's ass in the japanese market, but the two are pretty close in the US. Apparently this is mostly attributed to the PSP's appeal to many of the western developers that are aiming at the older target audience (GTA etc)

Also, the good folks at somethingawful.com had recently exposed a viral marketing campaign funded by Sony to promote the PSP:
http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/games/archives/2006/12/11/new_sony_viral_marketing_ploy_angers_consumers.htm l
For shame, sony!

BioAlien
Sun, 01-14-2007, 04:43 PM
DS, because i don't like the cheap crap from sony, why would you watch movies on a small PSP screen, when you got a 52" HD TV...plus, the game on psp simply suck compared to DS(at least, those i tried)
sure psp got "better" graphic, but if the game suck, the graphic don't matter.

Lucifus
Sun, 01-14-2007, 09:31 PM
Damn you all who claim the Lite can even compete with the PSP.

I could never be happier with my PSP. But, unless you get at least a 4 GB memory stick with it, its pointless ot get it, but if you do....Ohhh boy.

GBA, PS1, Nintendo, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, well, basically almost everything except PS2 and XBOX games. Extremly good quality videos and movies for the Beautiful PSP screen. Wonderful quality music. Pretty decent on the go internet, aim, msn, news, whatever you want. Beautiful photos on the giant psp screen. And all the awesome psp games to go along with it.

PSP homebrew- Stream videos, music directly from your home computer, you don't even need to carry it on your memory stick. GPS, emulators, Calculators, OpenOffice, classic games, EBooks.
RSS Channels
Not to mention DevHook- Store as many psp games as you want on your Memory Stick and switch between them instantly. Play music while playing games, put your PSP on hold. Best portable device out there other than a 1200$+ notebook.

Damn all to hell that do not acknowledge the greatest than can be a cracked PSP. 1.50 firmware for the win!:D

www.psp-hacks.com The DS-Lite doesn't even have a quarter of the features or functions the PSP is capable of. But only if your willing to put some extra bucks into it.

PSP system. Earbuds. Decent strap on case for movie, and a bunch of screen guards. One PSP game and then just "acquire" the rest of the stuff you need from the net.

PSP for the win!

Here me though. Without at least a 4gb, the PSP is worthless, and if you don't crack it, throw it into the fing Garbage can. If you don't plan on crcking it, itss completly useless, Sonys been throwing out firmware after firmware in an attempt to, hell I don't know, "keep their producct crappy"? If they would let people know the potential of a PSP there would be so many more around.

Currently on my PSP.

Games:
Mortal Kombat-Unchained, Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops, Loco Roco, DBZ-Shin Budokai, Monster Hunter Freedom and the UMD Store-bought Tekken Dark Ressurection.

Music:
About 500 mbs of all kinds of music and I most definatly don't need more. Love the clarity though the wallmart earbuds I got.

Videos: Eurotrip converted to PSP format. Any video onto your PSP through the net.

Homebrew- GPS, DevHook, PSPOffice, Xm80 Cal, PSPPersonalize, Bookmarks and stuff for aim and stuff like that,GBA emu, N64 Emu, Nin Emu, SuperNin Emu, and a bunch of old classic system emulators.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Old classic Mario games, All the good stuff, any Roms you can get your hands on can be emulated. PSP FOR THE WIN!

fahoumh
Mon, 01-15-2007, 12:07 AM
I picked up a DS Lite a few months ago and it's great. Warioware Touched is easily one of my favourite games and Brain Age is pretty addictive. Trace Memory was a pretty good game. I got Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney for Christmas and my sister says she's liking it...I still have to try it out.

EDIT: So even though I voted for the DS Lite because I like mine, I really can't recommend one over the other because I haven't spent as much time with a PSP. I guess it boils down to personal preference. I've been a Nintendo fanboy for more than 20 years so I'll always lean towards their products.

ChaosK
Mon, 01-15-2007, 12:18 AM
Here me though. Without at least a 4gb, the PSP is worthless, and if you don't crack it, throw it into the fing Garbage can. If you don't plan on crcking it, itss completly useless, Sonys been throwing out firmware after firmware in an attempt to, hell I don't know, "keep their producct crappy"? If they would let people know the potential of a PSP there would be so many more around.

I agree with you except I believe a 2gb memory stick is suffice. But that's coming from a person who already owns an ipod for music needs and other "storage". Basically all I place on my PSP are games (including emulated games) and some of my favorite episodes of shows, or if i know i'm in for a boring day, i convert a new episode of anime to watch on the go.

I forgot to mention before, as Lucifus put it, don't get the PSP if you don't plan on cracking it and doing all the shit we have to make it great. :D

Assertn
Mon, 01-15-2007, 12:42 AM

Ah so basically, the PSP is the portable version of the old Xbox?

Does sound enticing but, like you said, best out there other than a $1200+ notebook.

RedX1z
Mon, 01-15-2007, 01:07 AM
no pun intended for the opposing side, but here goes. i'm going with the ds lite on this one.

i got the psp when it first came out, but i've got bored of it after a few short weeks. basically, as much as i loved emulating games and things like that, it wasn't worth it, because most of the emulated games were things i already played and nothing really new, and if worst came to worst, i'd just play most of it on the computer. later on, one thing led to another and it was just laying around somewhere collecting dust. basically, i felt it was lacking a lot for a handheld gaming system. here's how i felt about their games, it wasn't as fun as i thought it'd be. ports and remakes just don't cut it for me nowadays, maverick hunter x is no exception.

a few months later, i saw everyone playing their mariokart on their ds, it actually looked somewhat fun. the next thing you know, i was playing mariokart on the ds. it wasn't bad, it was the first time i had fun in those months that passed by, aside from the ps2 and gamecube. later on, i got the ds, just so, i can join those people in their games of mariokart and other things. the games i got later on were enjoyable as well. up to this day, i don't regret ever getting the ds/lite. that's where 80% of my gaming time goes. the library back then wasn't as impressive at it is today, so i think that i made the right choice.

no regrets.

i believe the psp had many chances to surpass the ds in every way, but i believe it failed to do so. the touch screen on the ds added limitless possibilities to the production of gaming. the multiplayer and online play turned out to be something pretty good. the library for the ds is no joke. i underestimated the ds every way possible. regardless, i still believe the psp still has the potential to turn the tables around, and start getting better games for it.

the games i enjoy most nowadays are viewtiful joe: double trouble, mega man zx, elite beat agents, castlevania: portrait of ruin, trauma center: under the knife, and many more. after getting the ds lite, learned to not underestimate the little things.

the games i'm waiting for are it's a wonderful world, final fantasy 12: r-wings, final fantasy tactics for the ds, zelda: phantom hourglass, and many more.

Thi3f
Mon, 01-15-2007, 10:49 AM

FrogKing
Mon, 01-15-2007, 06:10 PM
Hmm, i have been following this thread and am still back and forth on which to get. Does anybody know when DS Lite will be support an internet browser in the US? I am taking a trip next month and would like to take it with me for entertainment purposes and to be able to check emails and such w/o my lappy. Thanks.

Spiegel
Tue, 01-16-2007, 03:07 PM
I chose the PSP because I like it better from what I have seen with my friends getting them. The PSP has more options and I just like it better in general. That may be a completely Bias opinion.

Aeon
Tue, 01-16-2007, 04:29 PM
I'm choosing the PSP even though I don't own one(Play my friends) and own a DSL. Outside of Megaman ZX, Mario Kart and Yugioh Spirit Caller I haven't been able to find anything else to keep my attention and that includes Final Fantasy III(Reason I bought the darn thing).

Apraxhren
Tue, 01-16-2007, 05:00 PM
Hmm, i have been following this thread and am still back and forth on which to get. Does anybody know when DS Lite will be support an internet browser in the US? I am taking a trip next month and would like to take it with me for entertainment purposes and to be able to check emails and such w/o my lappy. Thanks.

It has been released in Asia and Europe also in a few hours Australia will have it but for some unknown reason to the world there is no scheduled release for North America. You can however get an English version from Europe for about $50 with shipping.

I bought a DS lite because of the touch screen and the games, they just appealed to me. I'm just probably a Nintendo "fanboy" though.

FrogKing
Tue, 01-16-2007, 05:45 PM
Thanks Apraxhren. I did some research and found that the japanese and european versions can be found and will work. I think i'll wait to see if some Australian versions hit our market on the 18th and if not i'll spring for a japanese version.

6Zabuza9
Thu, 01-18-2007, 02:06 AM
i'm going with the ds lite because i wanna play pokemon diamond and pearl haha and most of my friends who got the psp only used it for mp3s after getting bored of it

Ryllharu
Sun, 01-28-2007, 07:57 PM
Well, I figure I'd give this thread a bump, giving good news to you PSP fans and owners. Despite my love of my own DS, it wouldn't be fair to keep this quiet.

http://noobz.eu/index.html

Now you can downgrade any PSP, no matter the firmware. The site will probably go under the digg effect, so if it's down, just wait a bit. Make sure you read the README too, or so I've read.