PDA

View Full Version : 2006 Darwin Award

Sandldan
Fri, 01-05-2007, 06:35 PM
The Darwin Awards salute the improvement of
the human genome by honoring those who
accidentally remove themselves from it...

The darwin award is a pretty special award, it started 1995 and is given to those worthy. In order to receive this award you have to kill yourself in a stupid way, thus removing your genes from the gene pool and applying the theory of Darwin.

I will list the top 3 for the year of 2006

Third

(3 June 2006, Florida) Two more candidates have thrown themselves into the running for a Darwin Award. The feet of Jason and Sara, both 21, were found protruding from a deflated, huge helium advertising balloon. Jason was a college student, and Sara attended community college, but apparently their education had glossed over the importance of oxygen.

The pair pulled down the 8' balloon, and climbed inside. Their last words consisted of high-pitched, incoherent giggling as they slowly passed out and passed into the hereafter.

Sheriff's deputies said the two were not victims of foul play. No drugs or alcohol were found. The medical examiner reported that helium inhalation was a significant factor in their deaths. A family member said "Sara was mischievous, to be honest. She liked fun and it cost her."

Second
(19 March 2006, Belize) Benjamin Franklin reputedly flew his kite in a lightning storm, going on to discover that lightning equals electricity. However, certain precautions must be taken to avoid sudden electrocution. Kennon, 26, replicated the conditions of Ben Franklin's experiment, but without Ben's sensible safety precautions. Dennon was flying a kite with a short string that he had extended with a length of thin copper wire. The copper made contact with a high-tension line, sending a bolt of electrical lightning towards the man. Just bad luck? Kennon's father told listeners his son was an electrician, and "should have known better."

And number one.
(August 2006, Brazil) August brings us a winner from Brazil, who tried to disassemble a Rocket Propelled Grenade (RPG) by driving back and forth over it with a car. This technique was ineffective, so he escalated to pounding the RPG with a sledgehammer. The second try worked--in a sense. The explosion proved fatal to one man, six cars, and the repair shop wherein the efforts took place.

I just took the top 3 there's a few more participants for this year and also an archive for every year in the past on their homesite
http://darwinawards.com

eat_toast
Fri, 01-05-2007, 06:38 PM
All I have to say is LOL. Hurrah for really stupid, now dead, people.

Kraco
Fri, 01-05-2007, 06:44 PM
The number one certainly had a death wish.

BioAlien
Fri, 01-05-2007, 08:25 PM
Do these people get somekind of trophy over their tombstone? (or their familly?)

btw.. LMAO at #1. Who knew there was such idiot in this world! hahaha!

darkmetal505
Fri, 01-05-2007, 09:34 PM
There was also the dude who threw the grenade pin at the cops instead of the grenade.

Sandldan
Fri, 01-05-2007, 10:30 PM
and one trying to rob a gun store in the middle of the day, started by shooting a shot or two in the roof... and if that didnt seem stupid enough, a police car stood parked outside

Spiegel
Sat, 01-06-2007, 01:01 AM
If I had to choose I would laugh myself to death... Fun Stuff!

Stoopider
Sat, 01-06-2007, 04:31 AM
Hmm. I think the 10 year old kid who hung himself after watching Saddam Hussein hung to death on the internet should be an honorary mention.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200701/s1821967.htm

Boy hangs himself after watching Saddam

Police say a 10-year-old US boy who hanged himself may have been inspired to do it by television coverage of Saddam Hussein's execution.

Relatives told police in Webster Texas that Sergio Pelico had seen the video of the former Iraqi leader's hanging and asked about it before the incident on Sunday.

"We're theorising he tried to experiment or mimick the behaviour and it got out of control," Webster Police Captain Thomas Claunch said.

Police say the boy apparently went to his room, attached a piece of clothing to a bunk bed and tied it around his neck.

Adults and other children were in the house at the time.

"There was nothing to indicate any criminal wrongdoing," Mr Claunch said.

"It appears to be a tragic accident."

dragonrage
Mon, 01-08-2007, 06:15 AM
lol.......well these were certainly some way to go. I just hope I don't end up on the list. It sure put a smile on my face on the gloomy Monday morning. thanks.

KitKat
Mon, 01-08-2007, 01:13 PM
My favourite is the people who tip vending machines on themselves. Gotta get that 75 cents worth of candy at all costs!

complich8
Mon, 01-08-2007, 04:27 PM
My favourite is the people who tip vending machines on themselves. Gotta get that 75 cents worth of candy at all costs!

Snickers: life's not worth living without it.

Raven
Mon, 01-08-2007, 06:18 PM
What about the guy who sent a ransom note with a return address on the envelope?

ChaosK
Tue, 01-09-2007, 08:46 PM
...Some dude thought he missed his stop on the train so he jumped out...while the train was on a bridge...and landed in the Hudson River...

The family is suing because "you should not be able to open the doors of a moving train"

Super5
Wed, 01-10-2007, 09:29 PM
#1 was definitely the best, I laughed for a while... Who would actually be stupid enough to try and "disassemble" a rocket-propelled grenade?? Apparently there's always someone stupider than you thought was humanly possible.

Danad_corps
Thu, 02-08-2007, 01:34 AM
#1 was definitely the best, I laughed for a while... Who would actually be stupid enough to try and "disassemble" a rocket-propelled grenade?? Apparently there's always someone stupider than you thought was humanly possible.

I second that. I mean since when has running over something EVER usefully disassembled anything, let alone hitting it with a sledgehammer? I wonder what was going through the head of the repair shop owner when he heard of this.

Illrenmazou
Thu, 02-08-2007, 07:46 PM
We got a lot cases like that in the Philippines :D
-2 scavenger kids got killed when they try to disassemble an M203 grenade launcher ammo, that was 4 to 5 months ago.
-3 guys torn apart(literally) after disassembling a vintage bomb (bombs that didn't blew up from Japanese air raiders during WWII, and ended up buried in the ground) with a saw. :eek:
That was a couple of years back.
-2 kids got killed when they hammered an M203 grenade launcher ammo (again?!) which was found by their father in a nearby forest.

and the list goes on...

Lefty
Fri, 02-09-2007, 12:31 AM
This award still gives me hope that most of the stupid people in the world will eventually kill them selves.