PDA

View Full Version : Afro Samurai

Munsu
Tue, 01-02-2007, 07:05 AM
First episode aired, don't know which release has the best encode, but here are three releases:

http://www.meganova.org/torrent/fa9e7e74b473df521c0b9ba8b0a24a67a5861b3d.torrent
http://monova.org/download/39402/%5BR-Enc%5D_Afro_Samurai_01_XviD_%5BE5E8A618%5D.avi.tor rent
http://datorrents.com/download.asp?id=17688&name=%5BLA%5D%20Afro%20Samurai%20-%2001%20%5BWEBRIP%5D.wmv.torrent

The tale of Afro Samurai is one of bloody hardship and pain. Along his solitary path of revenge for his murdered father, he sheds no tears and knows no love. Forever chased by powerful enemies in a lawless technology-speckled dystopia, he evades bullets and blade to reach his final prey: a man who will not die. But Afro will reach his quarry - even if it means painting a road of blood and brains from here to the bitter inevitable end.

Project by Spike TV / FUNimation of US, and Gonzo`s Samurai Project team.

http://www.afrosamurai.com/
http://anidb.info/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=2656
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=5275

Yukimura
Tue, 01-02-2007, 08:52 AM
Just did some checking up and this thing has Samuel L Jackson in it...therefore now matter how good or bad it is people will still check it out, even after Snakes on a Plane. And I don't know much about budgets but $1 million per 22 minute episode sounds like it could be used to do lots of cool things.

woofcat
Tue, 01-02-2007, 10:24 AM
So this is only a American anime? Or is it a Japanese anime re-dubbed by somewhat decent people?

Bucket
Tue, 01-02-2007, 11:12 AM
It seems to be Japanese produced, but the voice actors are English.

kAi
Tue, 01-02-2007, 11:15 AM
Downloading this now.
Samuel L. Jackson as a voice actor sounds good.

Inazuma
Tue, 01-02-2007, 11:39 AM
It's nice, but it'll be better with a decent encoding. Art on this show seems to be one of it's strong point, but lame encoding ruins the thing.

dark maginn
Tue, 01-02-2007, 08:56 PM
im gonna check this out

Lucifus
Tue, 01-02-2007, 09:24 PM
I've been waitin for this. Im pretty hopeful that its gonna be kickazz. Downloading the first ep.

?igma
Wed, 01-03-2007, 05:37 AM
I like it..and I'm never a fan of "American" Animé..

Honoko
Wed, 01-03-2007, 09:31 AM
The persona of Samuel L. Jackson is now very distracting... I wish some no-name guy was doing the voices for this series instead. Jackson's voice is so recognizable these days that it pulls me away from the "reality" of the storyline. But the art and animation are pretty sweet and that's probably the only reason why I'll keep watching. Besides, how can you not love the name "Afro Samurai"? HAHahahahhaa :p

?igma
Wed, 01-03-2007, 09:45 AM
I'm not sure, but I think he's doing both the Afro as his...whatever thats following him. Thats only b/c I think I hear that, so I have no hard information :)

kAi
Wed, 01-03-2007, 10:22 AM
Yeah, both of them are Samuel L. Jackson.

You can check the official site for that info.

Art is awesome, I'll keep watching this, should be a good series.

dark maginn
Wed, 01-03-2007, 03:25 PM
the art and animation is awsome gonna stick to this

Yukimura
Wed, 01-03-2007, 04:41 PM
I like it..and I'm never a fan of "American" Animé..

From what I can tell this is more American commissioned anime then the American produced attempts that you're thinking of. The style and attitude of the show have a strong American influence but I didn't see anything in the show that I thought would be out of place in any normal anime other than the myriad levels of technology which all seem to be present at he same time...though I think Samurai 7 might have been similar in that respect.

Kraco
Wed, 01-03-2007, 05:20 PM
It was certainly interesting. Samuel L Jackson was the right man for the role, as well. He performed well, as could pretty much be expected. On the contrary to Honoko's opinion I think clearly recognizing it as him was all the better, because he's easily associated with badassness, and this role requires nothing less.

dark maginn
Wed, 01-03-2007, 06:24 PM
yup thats true his voice acting is good for the afro dude

Honoko
Wed, 01-03-2007, 11:16 PM
Well, every time I hear his voice, I'm forever reminded of Pulp Fiction. It's distracting to think of Pulp Fiction when I'm trying to get into the storyline in front of me. My experience with this series is adulterated by past scenes of Jackson's badass-ness so I don't think I'll ever have a pure experience with it. Which is a shame. That's why I deplore the voice acting. Other than that, it's still a winner.

AlbinoFury
Wed, 01-03-2007, 11:26 PM
Ron Perlman is the bad guy too. <3 him as Hellboy

knifecrew
Thu, 01-04-2007, 05:14 AM
I have mixed feelings about this show. While I love the art style, music, and voice acting (Sammy Jackson and Ron Perlman), I'm not quite sure that it will be enough to make its mark. I will continue to watch, though, as it's managed to reel in my interest enough to hope that it'll turn out to be awesome.

X-plicit
Thu, 01-04-2007, 11:16 PM
Just watched the first episode. I didn't pay much attention to what they were saying. I was too orgasmic (couldn't think of a better word) about the art and fight scenes. Me being a b-boy (breakdancer) I love how they had some hip-hop culture in it. Just like how I <3'd Samurai Champloo/

Knives122
Thu, 01-04-2007, 11:37 PM
It was pretty good, I definately got a Samurai Champloo vibe from it as well as Ninja Scroll vibe too.

I'll be watching this until it get's canceled for no reason -_-

AlbinoFury
Fri, 01-05-2007, 05:34 PM
supposedly its only 5 episodes long

Assassin
Fri, 01-05-2007, 07:53 PM
Why is everyone in that show black? The art and music are pretty good, and the voice acting is alrite as well......but i can't stand that guy who follows afro around. Hes so, well, black, for the lack of a better term (well thats not true, there is a better term, but i wont use it here). I can't stand people who talk like that. And whats the deal with that old guy from the cult. Was he overacting on purpose or did they think it would be kool?

I do like the fact that the main character is always smoking a joint. I guess i'll stick with it a few more eps and see what its like. Hopefully they wont rely on jackson's name or the violence/bloodshed to make the show a success, but actually develop a proper storyline and characters.

Inazuma
Fri, 01-05-2007, 08:41 PM
Yeah, Just Call it " Afro Champloo "

NeoBear
Sat, 01-06-2007, 12:11 PM
Why is everyone in that show black? The art and music are pretty good, and the voice acting is alrite as well......but i can't stand that guy who follows afro around. Hes so, well, black, for the lack of a better term (well thats not true, there is a better term, but i wont use it here). I can't stand people who talk like that. And whats the deal with that old guy from the cult. Was he overacting on purpose or did they think it would be kool?

I do like the fact that the main character is always smoking a joint. I guess i'll stick with it a few more eps and see what its like. Hopefully they wont rely on jackson's name or the violence/bloodshed to make the show a success, but actually develop a proper storyline and characters.

...i agree as a black person myself black people suck and talk like retards. also im curious as to the better term you know of to discribe black people. i saw Clerks 2 and I hear that Porch monkey works pretty well?

i love the show and i like how there was little down time im hopeing they can keep up the pace over the next few episodes

Munsu
Sat, 01-06-2007, 12:25 PM
Toybox released their version... I suspect it should have much better encoding that what's out there:
http://weedy.1.vg:8396/torrents/%5BToyBox%5DAfro_Samurai_01%5BH264.AAC%5D%5B848x48 0%5D%5B17C875C4%5D.mp4.torrent?info_hash=b54b15612 4f63a3562d505800d9e0b49ed517ca9

NeoBear
Sat, 01-06-2007, 12:51 PM
im wondering about the sound on toyboxs release that was my only problum i had to turn my speakers up to here the first one

Munsu
Sat, 01-06-2007, 06:57 PM
Audio is ACC, you need to go to the control panel and adjust the AC3 filter volumes.

NeoBear
Sat, 01-06-2007, 07:10 PM
Audio is ACC, you need to go to the control panel and adjust the AC3 filter volumes.

is that located under (sounds and audio devices) in control panel i figured it was just recorded at a low volume or something?

Munsu
Sun, 01-07-2007, 08:25 AM
Humm, you're probably using FFDshow audio filter, can't really tell you how to adjust it there. But if you're using Media Player Classic, go to the options and play with the Boost lever under Audio Switcher. Anyways, don't post here any more about this issue, go take your dillemma to the support section.

SilverSurfie
Sun, 01-07-2007, 10:49 PM
[QUOTE=Assassin]Why is everyone in that show black? The art and music are pretty good, and the voice acting is alrite as well......but i can't stand that guy who follows afro around. Hes so, well, black, for the lack of a better term (well thats not true, there is a better term, but i wont use it here). I can't stand people who talk like that. And whats the deal with that old guy from the cult. Was he overacting on purpose or did they think it would be kool?
QUOTE]

I think the term would be wannabe gangsta. :p

Munsu
Fri, 01-12-2007, 11:41 AM
Episode 2 released by goat:
http://www.meganova.org/torrent/7fa778addc87ad7e19e4ddeef4460ea1d721649d.torrent

Doub't it's good quality, but there you go.

Knives122
Thu, 01-25-2007, 11:36 PM
Another great episode, Teddy Bear Head ended up being his best friend(dir), Master had the #2 the entire time, everyone died, and Ninja Ninja aka the most annoying character ever looks to be an imaginary character to cope with what he did(sorta like his better judgement telling him what he should do.)

Just 1 more ep. left which isn't a big thing seeing how there were only 5 eps...

Yukimura
Fri, 01-26-2007, 01:50 AM
I'm stating to notice things that look a little too familiar throughout this show. Jinno seemed like he was the love child of Aoshi Shinomori and Yukishiro Enishi. And if Knives is right Ninja Ninja would be EXACTLY like Shimichi from Ayakashi Ayashi. While somewhat ripped off, it doesn't mean that Afro's circumstances weren't very intriguing. I'm guessing his master took the headband because he wanted him to give up on revenge and live a happy life with his new friends...that worked out well.

DarthEnderX
Thu, 09-27-2007, 08:42 AM
Looks like nobody talked about this after the end of the show.

I just watched it recently finally.

Really liked it. The action was amazing.

The plot wasn't complex. It kinda reminded me of Tarentino when talking about Kill Bill. It's just a straight, oldschool revenge story.

In fact, with only 5 episodes, the entire series runtime is probably only like, 1:45 once you take out the extra title and credit scenes. It's bascially just one samurai movie cut up into little pieces.

And on that note, I think it succeeded fantastically.

YaGaMi
Thu, 09-27-2007, 02:44 PM
I watched it not too long ago myself, although the animation was great, personally I felt the action was at times way too fast to keep track of. Overall it's an average anime, but not something I'd watch again though.