PDA

View Full Version : New Year's Resolution?

AngelEyez
Sun, 12-31-2006, 02:42 PM
So it’s almost that time again… we’re about to celebrate the coming of 2007 and say goodbye to 2006. Everyone has got a thing or two that they would like to improve or accomplish in the year ahead.

Are you one of those people who'd like to quit smoking? Study more? Make an effort to get back in shape or just thinks -- “I’m perfect I don’t need to do anything!” A lot of people say they don't bother but definitely have goals they'd like to address, be it in the next year or the next month. It strikes me that New Year's can be a good excuse to step back and examine yourself, see where you've come in the past year, and where you hope to go in the next.

So my fellow Gotwooters let’s hear your New Year’s resolution(s) that we all know you’ll break anyway ;)

I'll go first:

Smile more
Be more decisive
Go out with my friends more often
Stop playing too much Guild Wars :D
And last but not least, post more in the Gotwoot forum :p

Kraco
Sun, 12-31-2006, 03:24 PM
I intended to learn kanas this past year but totally failed, so maybe I should intend again to learn them this starting year. At least I bought a book written just for that purpose right before the Christmas, to signify the decision.

To get back in shape wouldn't hurt, either. Just watching more martial arts anime failed as a plan to accomplish that, this year, after all...

masamuneehs
Sun, 12-31-2006, 03:57 PM
Get in better shape
Lock down a real job after graduating
Idle less (less video games and anime)
Sleep with AngelEyez ;)

The first two I see happening, the last two... well, how bout it girl? :cool:

DO
Sun, 12-31-2006, 04:32 PM
- Spend more time with family
- Show appreciation to the people who I care for and who care for me. (by actions and not just thoughts)
- Spend less time creating crazy IRC mods and testing them out on innocent Gotwoot users. :p
- Idle less, talk more (possibly post more on the forums)
- Attempt to play guild wars more often if time permitted
- Stop being an ass hat to random people for fun (#gotwoot would understand this statement)
- Hang out with friends more

:)

Assassin
Sun, 12-31-2006, 05:56 PM
Get in better shape
Lock down a real job after graduating
Idle less (less video games and anime)
Sleep with AngelEyez ;)

Put out more
Be more decisive
Go out with my friends more often
Stop playing too much Guild Wars
And last but not least, post more in the Gotwoot forum

I think you have a shot masa! ;)

darkmetal505
Sun, 12-31-2006, 06:27 PM
Pass my IB tests. I don't care much about anything else.

BioAlien
Sun, 12-31-2006, 07:19 PM
To play more games.

Assertn
Sun, 12-31-2006, 07:32 PM
I don't like News Years resolutions....mainly because it gives people an excuse to set goals for themselves only once a year. For example, how many people would make it a resolution to lose weight and get in shape for next year? How many of those people made that same resolution the year before? If you have to reaffirm a goal a second time then that means you failed the first time, so what makes this any different?

Nobody's going to accomplish anything unless they really want to set their mind to it, and only using one day to set your mind to only one year ahead of you isn't enough. I think a great resolution everyone should have is to resolve to live every day in anticipation of the future.

However in spirit of tradition, I'm setting the very realistic yet very beneficial goal of killing my myspace account tomorrow.

Carnage
Sun, 12-31-2006, 07:41 PM
- Stop being an ass hat to random people for fun (#gotwoot would understand this statement)

You? an Asshat? naaah....:p

Um...I hope to find out what I want to do with my life...and I guess to work alot harder.:cool:

Also to find out where Zinobi lives and stab him in his sleep:eek:

kooshi
Sun, 12-31-2006, 08:47 PM
I don't like News Years resolutions....mainly because it gives people an excuse to set goals for themselves only once a year. For example, how many people would make it a resolution to lose weight and get in shape for next year? How many of those people made that same resolution the year before? If you have to reaffirm a goal a second time then that means you failed the first time, so what makes this any different?

Nobody's going to accomplish anything unless they really want to set their mind to it, and only using one day to set your mind to only one year ahead of you isn't enough. I think a great resolution everyone should have is to resolve to live every day in anticipation of the future.

I am in COMPLETE agreement with you. To be honest, I find it ridiculous how people (not everybody, mind you) make these goals on New Year's instead of much earlier. Do people really need a holiday (which is a really stupid one, who the hell cares about a new year, it's just another day) to get themselves motivated to do something? They should be motivated at any time during the year and should stick with it until it is achieved or becomes unachievable with a valid reason.

Yay, I can't wait for the neg reps, haha.

Spiegel
Sun, 12-31-2006, 09:30 PM
1) The Overused "Get in shape"
2) Watch more anime
3) Learn Japanese
4) Get a new sex slave
5) Figure out how to get old sex slave to stop calling
6) Become more Social

Raven
Sun, 12-31-2006, 11:11 PM
I'm in agreement with Assertn and Kooshi; people shouldn't need an excuse for self-improvement, it should happen all year round.

It's the same with Christmas, it annoys me when people try to be nice just for that time because "hey, it's Christmas". Why not just be nice all year round?

dark maginn
Sun, 12-31-2006, 11:20 PM
1. get back in shape
2. do better in school
3. watch more anime

Psyke
Sun, 12-31-2006, 11:53 PM
1. Earn more money and get that promotion
2. Manage time at work and at home better
3. Lose weight and get fit
4. Get ready for JLPT 2 next year
5. Do more things together with other half

Board of Command
Mon, 01-01-2007, 12:13 AM
Try harder in school.

darkmetal505
Mon, 01-01-2007, 02:13 AM
Ideally one should be able to make resolutions at anytime of the year, however it becomes easier to claim one on the designated day, New Years. It's not an excuse, more like an opportunity of sorts because you have this "new" time period. Half of the time it's just for kicks anyway. I doubt anyone can complete all of his/her New Years resolutions.

XanBcoo
Mon, 01-01-2007, 02:50 AM
I made my "resolution" earlier this school year, in the form of a list of several things I would accomplish before the Summer. They were small things, but I feel I've accomplished all but about 2 of them.

So if I have to pick a resolution for the year of 2007, it will be to accomplish everything on my list.

Happy New Year Gotwoot!

complich8
Mon, 01-01-2007, 09:11 AM
I made the resolution not to make any resolutions. That way, the failure is immediate and decisive (since the resolution not to make resolutions is a resolution itself), and I can't feel guilty about not fulfilling it because it was an impossible condition to begin with.

... that's what we're going with.

in reality, I don't believe in the practice of making resolutions ...

ChaosK
Mon, 01-01-2007, 01:58 PM
Hmm...although I do believe this is pointless, I do state things I believe I should at least look forward to doing. My new years resolution has the purpose of only making this year different than the past, and getting something new done.

1) make some more money
2) with that money get a car
3) shoot hoops more often (i miss basketball)
4) maybe get a long lasting girlfriend.

dragonrage
Mon, 01-01-2007, 10:51 PM
keep on track to achieving my already set goals.
stop analyzing stuff so much and go with the flow more often.
Try to let girls pay for stuff more often and not feel strange about it.

Keeping on living one day at a time.

make time for drawing, It's something that I enjoy doing, I don't want to forget how to.

Spiegel
Tue, 01-02-2007, 12:02 AM
...Try to let girls pay for stuff more often and not feel strange about it....

I have that same problem. I feel very odd if I let a girl pay for anything.

Add to my list
-Make time to go play paintball more often.

SK
Tue, 01-02-2007, 01:31 PM
Be more studious.