PDA

View Full Version : To make a fansub

Deadfire
Wed, 12-27-2006, 12:45 AM
The other day when most people were enjoying their holiday meals and such, the dark abyss know as the “IRC channel” had a few things to think about. During the period of reflecting at what losers we were to be there that night. However during that period a thought was touched on and hammered into a plan.

We were to create a fansub group.

What we got so far is most positions of some staff and a possible project:

Distro - DO
QC - Yukimura, Arcness, Nasphreak29
Timer – Deadfire
Editor – mage

If you guys think I’m sarcastic right now I’m not. This is a project they are willing to commit to. However currently we are missing a translator, encoder and a typesetter. If anyone is skilled in this or knows of anyone interested in this get on IRC and talk to DO (Dragonoutlaw) or myself. That or just pm me about it

The series we are thinking of doing is Devil May Cry. (We picked a realistic goal as well as one we would all like)

Suggestions, comments, and hell even insults would be nice :p

Bucket
Wed, 12-27-2006, 01:07 AM
I always thought it'd be a great idea to create a fansub group that strictly does parodies. No foreign language skills needed!

Board of Command
Wed, 12-27-2006, 01:31 AM
As ridiculous as that sounds, I like it! Everything top-notch except translation.

Psyke
Wed, 12-27-2006, 03:18 AM
I once did my own fan subs for an Ultraman series, but it was so tedious I stopped after 3 episodes. After that I only translated and did srt files which were much easier since I can forget about typesetting, karaoke, and hard coding. My Japanese's not that good, but you don't need to know much to understand a Tokusatsu series such as Kamen Rider or Ultraman.

As for this sub group, good luck and I'd love to see a parody :P

By the way is there a Devil May Cry anime coming out? I didn't know that, but it sounds awesome.

Yukimura
Wed, 12-27-2006, 08:18 AM
We're not planning any parodies as of yet, that was all Bucket so we will need a translator.

RyougaZell
Wed, 12-27-2006, 09:31 AM
Sounds interesting.
Too bad I wouldn't fit the open positions. Gluck.

Munsu
Wed, 12-27-2006, 09:55 AM
Why not try and do Gin-iro no Olynsis? It's probably not that good of an anime, but I think it still deserves a fansubber. No one is doing it as far as I can see, so you can probably build a good fanbase with it. Devil May Cry will probably be oversubbed and you'll probably find most of your time and work wasted.

http://anidb.info/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=4731

xDarkMaster
Wed, 12-27-2006, 09:57 AM
I don't really qualify for any of the positions, but someday I might want to learn. This is going to be a lot harder than scanlating is for the local group, so good luck. ;)

XanBcoo
Wed, 12-27-2006, 11:50 AM
even insults would be nice :p
Oh! Oh! I can do that!

The other day when most people were enjoying their holiday meals and such, the dark abyss know as the “IRC channel” had a few things to think about. During the period of reflecting at what losers we were to be there that night (sentence fragment?). However during that period a thought was touched on and hammered into a plan.

If you guys think I’m sarcastic right now I’m not. This is a project they are willing to commit too. However currently we are missing a translator, encoder, and a typesetter. If anyone is skilled in this or knows of anyone interested in this get on IRC and talk to DO (Dragonoutlaw) or myself. That or just pm me about it.
Better work on your grammar there before you start translating into English. Good thing Mage is doing the editing.

Seriously though, good luck. Sorry to say that, like xDarkMaster, I don't really qualify for any of the open positions.

NM
Wed, 12-27-2006, 02:52 PM
A GotWoot fansubbing group sounds like an awesome idea to me. I'd like to help but I wouldn't qualify for any of the positions you have open (maybe editing since I think all you need to do is look at a Notepad file and edit away but Mage has that covered). Best of luck though! If you guys do sub Devil May Cry, I'll be sure to check it out.

I don't really qualify for any of the positions, but someday I might want to learn. This is going to be a lot harder than scanlating is for the local group, so good luck. ;)

Scanslating does take up a lot of time. I used to edit for Serpents-Cross for the FMA manga. I can only imagine how much time fansubbing takes up. >_>

Board of Command
Wed, 12-27-2006, 05:13 PM
We're still looking for:

Distro
Translator
Typesetter

Updated positions so far:

Distro - DO
QC - Yukimura, Arcness, Nasphreak29
Timer – Deadfire
Editor – mage, BoC
Encoder – BoC

Arcn3ss
Wed, 12-27-2006, 05:37 PM
We are currently looking for Translators and Typesetters. If you can translate Japanese to English come into IRC #gotwoot and speak to any of us there. (Same goes for Typesetting)

Darth Zin
Wed, 12-27-2006, 06:25 PM
Well i know a bit of everything except speaking japanese ^_^ Qualifications hmm... i can encode, do karoke subs (alot better for me in After Effects than in SSA.) PS im a Medusa fan and a substation alpha terrorist. For encoding wise i use vdub or mod (depends on the mood ^_^) and i use avisynth for my encoding enhancements. I can't turn vhs into gold, but silver is as close as i can get ^_^ Some other progs i can handle are Premiere and Photoshop ;)

Arcn3ss
Wed, 12-27-2006, 06:30 PM
Well i know a bit of everything except speaking japanese ^_^ Qualifications hmm... i can encode, do karoke subs (alot better for me in After Effects than in SSA.) PS im a Medusa fan and a substation alpha terrorist. For encoding wise i use vdub or mod (depends on the mood ^_^) and i use avisynth for my encoding enhancements. I can't turn vhs into gold, but silver is as close as i can get ^_^ Some other progs i can handle are Premiere and Photoshop ;)

Awesome.

Come into our Rizon Channel #Proxy-Fansubs

EDIT!:
( Also feel free to come into #gotwoot on irc.gotwoot.net)

Gotwoot's channel is on its OWN server for those who dont know :P Not Rizon. Proxy-Fansubs is on rizon tho.

Board of Command
Wed, 12-27-2006, 06:31 PM
Get in the channel NOW.

#proxy-fansubs at Rizon.

UChessmaster
Wed, 12-27-2006, 08:14 PM
i can... translate from english to spanish = D

Assassin
Wed, 12-27-2006, 11:25 PM
can i help?? plz pretty plz with cheery on top!

Assertn
Wed, 12-27-2006, 11:29 PM
Translators are always the hardest position to fill.
I think we used to have yallo for that spot back in the revquest days.

Munsu
Thu, 12-28-2006, 05:19 AM
yallo was timer and editor.

samsonlonghair
Thu, 12-28-2006, 06:25 AM
I wish I could help out, but I can barely muster enough thought to speak one language.

If you need video editors, I can do that just fine. I know Final Cut pro very well, but I don't know what use you might have for that. I've never used any video software specifically to subtitle a whole show. I guess I could give it a try if you run short on manpower.

Here's a thought: If you can't find a translator, why not just volunteer your time to help AonE?

Edit: grammar

masamuneehs
Thu, 12-28-2006, 12:24 PM
i'm quite useless at these kinds of things, not to mention i'm sure everyone would simply love to have me on the staff...

However, if there is ever an interest in producing a fansub in Italian, or some piece of Italian getting into anime that you all need help on, I'll help.

Good luck.

Deadfire
Sat, 12-30-2006, 02:15 AM
you may have not seen this yet but our site is http://proxy-fansubs.com/

Assassin
Sat, 12-30-2006, 03:51 AM
so whats my position?

Board of Command
Sat, 12-30-2006, 12:47 PM
You can help us find a translator.

Danad_corps
Thu, 02-08-2007, 01:46 AM
I tutor on the side. My experience in grammar and my perfectionistic character could definitely help you release quality episodes. I've always frowned upon all those grammatical errors in some of the fansubs (L'll for I'll, spaces between letters that shouldn't be there - "tod ay," and my favorite - the fragments and run-on sentences). I know a little Japanese (i'm currently taking Jap102) so i could use my limited knowledge to identify a few words in each sentence.

Assassin
Thu, 02-08-2007, 02:11 AM
theres already liek 3 QC'er. not that it matters, cuz its been a month and Proxy hasn't gotten anywhere :p

Dont worry guys, GW still loves you!

Deadfire
Thu, 02-08-2007, 11:01 AM
theres already liek 3 QC'er. not that it matters, cuz its been a month and Proxy hasn't gotten anywhere :p

Dont worry guys, GW still loves you!

If they really loved Us we would have a TL by now.....

and on the QC position, it is possible that once we get the group really doing something the positions may change, so in honest truth we could need more people. However it is hard to say.

Psyke
Fri, 02-09-2007, 03:17 AM
I'm in the midst of subbing the new Ultraman Mebius movie, which I just received the DVD from Amazon Japan. I'm doing it all alone, ripping, translations, timing, encoding, etc. However, the only reasons I could do the translations are:

1) It's an Ultraman show, so there's not much difficult dialogue
2) It comes with Japanese subtitles, so my 2 Japanese dictionaries would come in handy

I'm now in the process of pausing the movie every few seconds to translate it using my dictionary, and also jotting down the more difficult words to ask my sensei during class. As much as I wanna help you guys for translations, I'm afraid I'm not that good yet.... Good luck and I hope you guys can find a translator soon. :)