PDA

View Full Version : TV: The Lost Room

Assassin
Sat, 12-16-2006, 04:11 PM
I just finished this new sci-fi channel original mini-series, and i gotta say i loved it.

If you like sci-fi (not like aliens and spaceships sci-fi, but time travel/parallel universes and stuff) then you should definately check this out.

The show is about a mysterious motel room that doesn't seem to exist, and can only be accessed with "the key" one of the many 'objects' that come from the room. When a cop lose's his daughter in the room, he has to track down various objects and 'collectors' to find out what happened to his daughter. He must also deal with several groups, some of whom wish to destroy the objects and some who seek to unite them.

What i found really intresting was the concept of the series. The idea of simple objects having the power to bend reality itself, and thier connections to each other as well as "the occupant".

You can download the series from mininova. Its 3 parts, one and a half hours each, roughly 700mb. Its definately worth checking out.

Edit: Heres the description from the site. Its a little better then my own summary...only a little :p

n the 1960s, there still were hundreds of motels with thousands of rooms along Route 66 as it twisted its way from Chicago to L.A. and back. None of them stood out from the rest until one day when some unknown event at the Sunshine Motel transformed ordinary things into items of wonder.

Room 10 of the Sunshine Motel and many of its mundane contents — a pair of scissors, a comb and so on — gained unique and inexplicable properties on that day, transforming them from ordinary objects into indestructible Objects.

The Scissors can turn and rotate any item in three dimensions. The Comb stops time for 10 seconds when you run it through your hair. The Eyeglasses inhibit all combustion in a 20-foot radius. The Room itself is an unchanging haven and a portal to any destination. But it can also take that which you value more than your own life.

To possess an Object is to possess its power.

Using each Object exacts a physical, emotional or psychological cost from the owner. Just holding one makes you a target for murder.

For decades, maybe since the first moment that the Motel Room was ripped from this reality, cabals have formed to collect all the Objects. As always, some just want unlimited power, and they believe getting all of the Objects will give them that. Others want to prevent anyone from ever again using the Objects.

And though their motives vary, the cabals' tactics are similar. It's said that while you have one of the Objects, you have no friends, only people waiting for an opening.

Police Det. Joe Miller was introduced to the Motel Room when a fatally shot young man gave him one of the most powerful and coveted Objects of them all: the Key to the Motel Room. His life is immediately turned upside down when his young daughter becomes lost in the room. In his relentless quest to rescue his little girl, Joe becomes the target of shadowy figures who will stop at nothing to take from him his only hope of saving her — the Key.

masamuneehs
Sat, 12-16-2006, 07:33 PM
disagreed.

in all honesty i thought this series sorta sucked. it is packed with cliches, relies too much on music and special effects (which are done well) and has subpar acting. I even felt that the concepts and the story were just elaborations on sci-fi standards. it's just another typical "weird sci-fi" genre piece.

I like sci-fi, and I even enjoy this kind of sci-fi. My friend had me watch it, thought about it just as highly as assassin, but I just didn't think it was all that great. It's an ok watch if you're really into the genre, but i don't think it's anything fantastic.

GhostKaGe
Sun, 12-17-2006, 06:09 AM
I was watching this last night the first thing i thought was this would have made a fantastic point and click adventure/puzzle game the thing with the safe would have been a brilliant puzzle. I think the writer aimed for the wrong market with TV