PDA

View Full Version : Whats the difference between Chidori and Raikiri?

February
Thu, 12-07-2006, 04:29 PM
I've heard Kakashi mention something about that long ago but I don't quite get it still...anyone explain?

Super5
Thu, 12-07-2006, 05:10 PM
I'm pretty sure they're just two names for the same thing... Chi dori means "Thousand birds" and rai kiri means "Lightning Edge". I think Chidori was the original name (because the attack sounds like birds chirping), but the legend is that Kakashi used it to cut lightning - whatever that means - so it acquired the nickname Raikiri.

Long story short, they're the same attack - the one where lightning gathers in your fist and you use it to punch a big hole in something/someone :)

ChaosK
Thu, 12-07-2006, 07:53 PM
Different spellings...pronunciationj...other than that, Kakashi calls it Raikiri. Everyone else calls it Chidori.

Knives122
Thu, 12-07-2006, 08:02 PM
Sigh.....

Raikiri (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ninjutsu_in_Naruto_%28H-R%29#Lightning_Blade)

Chidori (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ninjutsu_in_Naruto_%28H-R%29#One_Thousand_Birds)

Death BOO Z
Fri, 12-08-2006, 01:04 AM
sorry knives, that just aing gonna cut it... Wiki/Narutofan aren't official and the people who wrote those parts don't know more about it than everyone else.. I don't recall any diffrence between the two names, and I'm quite sure it was said so when they first introduced the name chidori (Sasuke vs Gaara, probably chapter 105 or something)... Kishi mostly uses Chidori, but i'm guessing he used Raikiri in this chapter to emphetize on the fact that it's a lightning jutsu, and therefore strong against steel (go figure).

Yukimura
Fri, 12-08-2006, 01:33 AM
While I also don't think there's a difference if it was in the data book that there is then it's in the data book... not much you can say I haven't seen a data book translation though so I'd say they're the same thing.

bagandscalpel
Fri, 12-08-2006, 02:03 AM
Meh, both are one and the same technique.

However, for originality's sake, I see Sasuke as the "Chidori user," and Kakashi as the "Raikiri user," even though that's technically incorrect.

mage
Fri, 12-08-2006, 08:40 AM
They're the same technique, Kakashi just prefers to call it Raikiri, apparantly.

RyougaZell
Fri, 12-08-2006, 09:18 AM
Well... a databook does state Chidori is A-rank and Raikiri S-Rank... sadly I don't have the scan.
Wikipedia got its info from that databook.

RasenDori
Fri, 12-08-2006, 09:23 AM
so then assuming that youre correct about the data book then the only difference is that raikiri is stronger then chidori.

Necromas
Fri, 12-08-2006, 03:59 PM
Raikiri is S rank because Kakashi is simply stronger and better at it.

Kitsune
Tue, 12-12-2006, 05:05 PM
that doesn't make any sense. If it were that simple Jiraiya's Rasengan would be A class and since Naruto still hasn't perfected it and has to use kage bunshins, it would be a B class or some thing. I think theres got to be a better reason like the raikiri might actually be stronger

UChessmaster
Tue, 12-12-2006, 10:28 PM
i dont think its about how you do it, but how much dmg you do with it...

Chouonsoku
Tue, 12-12-2006, 10:51 PM
that doesn't make any sense. If it were that simple Jiraiya's Rasengan would be A class and since Naruto still hasn't perfected it and has to use kage bunshins, it would be a B class or some thing. I think theres got to be a better reason like the raikiri might actually be stronger

I'm sure there could be "ranged" classes for different attacks. Raikiri and Chidori have seperate names, so it's not necessary but maybe Rasengan could be a A/B class depending on user.

SilentSnake
Thu, 12-14-2006, 04:03 PM
wasn't it said clearly in the anime that chidori and raikiri is the same technique? I remember it quite clearly said in 66-67 or so when Sasuke used it the first time and gai was explaining it IIRC.

it was like "chidori is nicknamed raikiri because kakashi cut a lightning with it" or sth, wasn't it?

If it's not true then I'm totally shocked, but for me the info from wiki sounds like total bull.

Monomate
Wed, 01-24-2007, 05:23 PM
Look at these images in the order and you'll understand everything:
http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/281/naruto113156ja.jpg
http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/6109/naruto11316178nq.jpg
http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/516/naruto114031kl.jpg

Kitsune
Wed, 01-24-2007, 05:44 PM
that still doesn't really explain why in the data book they have different ranks because if ur saying theyre the same technique they should have the same rank

Grape
Wed, 01-24-2007, 06:19 PM
I propose it is a lower rank because it is now constituted as Sasuke's technique. While Raikiri, used by Kakashi (and therefore assumedly more powerful) is a higher technique. Kakashi has a greater speed and chakra, so it's more effective in assassinations.

Chouonsoku
Wed, 01-24-2007, 08:22 PM
I hate to bring Dragon Ball into this but I think it might be a good example. You have the Kamehameha and Chou Kamehameha. Different names, basically the same technique, although Chou is much more powerful. So, Chidori is named because it sounds like a thousand birdy chirping. But, once it's powerful enough to cut lightning, it takes on the name Raikiri. So, the power put behind it can change it's name and possibly it's rank.

Idealistic
Mon, 02-19-2007, 06:53 AM
I don't believe in that databook crap... If they don't say it in the manga/anime... Then where do people get this info on how strong each technique is?

Rhanfahl
Sun, 02-25-2007, 05:31 PM
FACT: Manga, and Anime both support that Raikiri & Chidori are the same technique. Also supports that Raikiri was a name given to it after Kakashi (supposedly) cut lightning with it. Kakashi made the move himself and can call it whatever the hell he wants, and change the name for whatever reason he wants. If he wants to combine Raikiri and Senen Goroshii and call it the shocker, he can do that, its his move.

EVERYTHING ELSE: Speculation.

So, if Kishi doesn't release something with his signature seal on it then you can argue till you're blue in the face and still not have an answer...

CONCLUSION: Who cares...really?