PDA

View Full Version : Scrapped Princess

blizeH
Wed, 12-06-2006, 06:58 AM
Just watched this; wow, it's absolutely incredible! Right up there with Berserk as one of my favourite animes, or indeed favourite TV episodes of all time, I'd highly recommend it to anyone.

** Below this line is rather spoilertastic **

The characters were all excellent, the show had charm in abundance and it's one of the rare occasions where I actually felt for most of the characters, even Fulle who merely played a bit-part in the overall storyline had a fantastic and emotional death scene, although the old cliched 'dying slowly by arrows in abundance' thing always goes down well with me, there's just something about it that makes you really feel for the character.

There was so much I wanted to discuss whilst watching it, but my mind's blank at the moment, but I'll finish by commenting how awfully crushing the end of the pen-ultimate episode was. I was watching it thinking "this is great, there's no way this can turn out to be a sad ending, hurrah! at least an anime with a happy ending" - and then bam! I should of known it was too good to be true, maybe I should of expected it, but I didn't, and that just made it so much more harrowing.

Fantastic.

Honoko
Wed, 12-06-2006, 07:04 AM
there is a 30 second anime review thread for this.....

Kraco
Wed, 12-06-2006, 07:39 AM
there is a 30 second anime review thread for this.....

That wasn't a review, so a review thread might not have been appropriate. Well, that's just my opinion.

And since Scrapped Princess does have a happy ending, I don't even know what to think of that post anyway...

blizeH
Wed, 12-06-2006, 07:53 AM
I just meant between the end of the pen-ultimate episode and the final episode there was a horrible feeling that everything had gone horribly wrong, of course it picked back up again which was great, but it was an emotional rollercoaster and I thought they scripted it excellently.

Also, I apologise for creating another thread, but I was hoping to draw some attention to this (seemingly overlooked anime?) rather than just do a quick review of it. :-)

Uberbaka
Wed, 12-06-2006, 08:15 AM
It was alright, didn't feel it stood out that much to be honest =S

A rather forgettable affair.

Ryllharu
Wed, 12-06-2006, 08:28 AM
It's not "seeming overlooked," it's over 3 years old. Any discussion on it was done long ago. The series started and was half over before the earliest join date on these forums.

blizeH
Fri, 12-08-2006, 04:07 AM
My, aren't we a cheery bunch?

Kraco
Fri, 12-08-2006, 05:11 AM
Cherry punch?

http://img83.imageshack.us/img83/369/cherrypunchmt8.jpg

KitKat
Sat, 12-09-2006, 01:32 AM
Come now guys, let's be a little more welcoming, shall we? There isn't a thread to discuss Scrapped Princess (I know, because I searched for one this summer when I finished watching the series) so this is a perfectly legit thread. There are a lot of people who don't watch anime as it's on the cutting edge of being released, and still want to discuss series that may be long finished. There's room for that here.

I personally loved Scrapped Princess. It was recommended to me by Joker-kun, and it was fun from beginning to end. Throughout though, I kept hoping that Cz would join up with the 'good guys'. She was so cute as a little girl, and it made me sad that she was a peacemaker.

Lucifus
Sat, 12-09-2006, 01:36 AM
Never heard of or seen this "Scrapped Princess" Worth watching?:rolleyes: Whats it about?

Board of Command
Sat, 12-09-2006, 01:53 AM
It's great if you don't try to predict what's going to happen. Otherwise you'll ruin it for yourself half way through.

It's a decent series about a group of good guys and girls fighting the evil in the world.

Augury
Sat, 12-09-2006, 03:21 AM
Lucifus: I'd recommend this series too. Scrapped Princess was one of the first few series I've watched and is among my favorites. I'd say it compares to Berserk, Full Metal Alchemist, and Hikaru no Go in regards to the level of interest/enjoyment for me.

The story is about a girl named Pacifica who is travels with and is being guarded by her older brother and sister. There is a prophecy that the world will be destroyed when she turns 16, so people are out to kill her. The story has a fantasy / medieval / magic setting.

Yukimura
Sat, 12-09-2006, 03:44 AM
Scrapped Princess was also one of my earliest series. It was one of the first times I was really surprised by an anime, didn't see the last few eps coming at all, though I would now since I have enough experienace to recognize the signs. It think it is a good beginner anime since it had so many common themes but they were woven in so well you don't alwys feel like they just crammed this cliche and that one togeather.

Kraco
Sat, 12-09-2006, 04:07 AM
Yeah. In many regards it's a perfect and very smooth and polished anime, like Yukimura said. It's also very close to the top positions on my list of excellent shows. There's very little to complain about. A good cast as well. It was an early show for me, but I just a month or two ago watched it again, and had to check a few times ANN to connect the voices to the seiyuus I now was able to recognize.

This show if any is definitely worth watching.

Stoopider
Sat, 12-09-2006, 06:07 AM
I disagree with the initial poster.

Though this series is Okay. I still don't rate it as good as others like Berserk, Full Metal Alchemist and some.

I thought the premise of the show was magnificent. A Princess with a brother who's a brilliant fighter and a sister who's a brilliant but dumb magician, and she's going to end the world when she turns 16. I thought it was cool all the way up to midway of the show.

Suddenly the anime turn Evangelion. And WTF. For God's sake. Like Utaraweruromono, why can't a sword and sorcery show stay sword and sorcery? Sword and Sorcery already rocks, don't throw robots into the equation. Thats just wrong. Adventure and Sci-Fi doesn't mix all the time. And this is one of them, where it totally spoilt it for me.

Suddenly big ass robots flying around shooting lasers, some bard playing guitar with lameass robot fireflies. It just went seriously downhill for me.

Ryllharu
Sat, 12-09-2006, 09:15 AM
It's good, but over the years it loses in a lot of places to series like Utawarerumono. When watching Utawarerumono, this was the series I thought of during the very first episode. Unfortunately for Scrapped Princess, they underutilized a lot of the characters, had very poor pacing at one point, and kind of went all over the place in the latter half of the series.

Racquel has to be the most underutilized character in the whole series. She's an incredibly powerful magician, and she uses it all of about two times. She presses the idiot bard and his robo-bugs against a wall, tells him that she could easily crush him to death, and then she never really uses magic in the series again. Great, you've piqued my interest in a character and then never used her again. There's also Christopher's Assassin Squad. They put a lot of detail into drawing the characters, make them look like they have personalities, and ONE of them speaks, and I believe it was about 3 times. None of them are ever explicitly named.

Personally, I love fantasy/sci-fi crossovers. I like when fantasy settings are attempted to be explained with science, and sci-fi has always been hi-tech fantasy to me. I've always thought the two genres are tied together.

For all my complaints on the series, I did like it a lot, and the second time I watched it, it was good also. But now that I've seen how a series like it can be done better (Utawarerumono), it falls a little behind.

I'd probably like it a lot more if they hadn't pushed Racquel aside. She's a main character right at Pacifica's side and the dumbass knight gets more dialog and action than she does!

Church
Sat, 12-09-2006, 11:56 AM
I really likd Scrapped Princess, I don't mind the sci-fi and adventure mixing, but I do agree some characters are underutilized.

On a side note, it took me forever to figure out why the chracter's name sound so weird and familiar... I didn't really quite confirm it until the Peacemaker "Steyr" came in... al the names were based on guns and/or manufacturers of guns.

Board of Command
Sat, 12-09-2006, 12:25 PM
It's good, but over the years it loses in a lot of places to series like Utawarerumono. When watching Utawarerumono, this was the series I thought of during the very first episode. Unfortunately for Scrapped Princess, they underutilized a lot of the characters, had very poor pacing at one point, and kind of went all over the place in the latter half of the series.
I think it's closer to Fantastic Children than it is to Utawarerumono.

reminisc
Sat, 12-09-2006, 06:27 PM
Utawarerumono was similar to scrapped princess in taht they both found themselves a different level of reality. Scrapped princess party found themself in that pie slice of earth which was a controlled environment etc etc...and utawerumono's party or well just hakuroro was running among a land of artifically created humans.

masamuneehs
Sun, 12-10-2006, 03:00 PM
i started this show some 4 or so years back, but never finished it. I thought it had some great things, but I had problems finding quality fansubs of it. I know this is totally a noobish question that I could remedy with some research of my own, but what fansubs would people recommend for this one?

i believe i was watching LIME's sub, and didn't really think it was very good... then again, it's been 4 years....

edit: yup, gosh i'm stupid... Keep and ANBU did a joint on it some time back. Guess their IRC channel's the best way to get the episodes.

Lucifus
Sun, 12-10-2006, 07:04 PM
Well, I just checked out Berserk an loved it. Sad there were only 25 eps, but that was most definatly pure ownage. If you can compare this series to it, then its definatly worth checking out. Going to DL.:cool:

Board of Command
Sun, 12-10-2006, 08:14 PM
This is nothing like Berserk.

reminisc
Mon, 12-11-2006, 01:55 AM
can't really think of a resemblance either.

but berserk was pretty good...i still remember how horrified towards the end when u see what happened to griffith in jail, then being not sure how i felt when he transformed. Hehe

Augury
Mon, 12-11-2006, 04:00 AM
My earlier post said comparable in interest / enjoyment. Scrapped Princess is indeed a very different genre from Berserk.

blizeH
Thu, 12-14-2006, 05:17 AM
^ They're very different, they're just probably my two favourite animes :)

*** SPOILERS BELOW ***

I agree about cz btw, I was dissapointed when she died, although it was a shame they had to transform to do those battles, they weren't particularly interesting and it took a lot of the power away from the scene where she died. You didn't really think it was her dying so much as it was some wierd monster :P

Also, a huge thanks for the replies guys, nice to see this thread was salvaged :)

Archangel
Mon, 01-25-2010, 04:51 PM
So i finally finished this series after dozens of people's comments on how i was a fool for having it in my "On hold" list for so long and here i am left with a feeling of emptiness that will probably only be filled with chocolate cake and strawberries.

"What is so good about this show?" is a question that lingered throughout the whole experience and was accentuated with a rainbow ending that was as expected and inevitable as the morning sunrise

I disliked every single character, including the apparently universally beloved raquel-nee, for being either too cool, too lame or too bratty.

Anyway... i'm also known to like shows that nobody else does so i'll hope nobody gets too trolly with me for hating this particular one. Have a good day everyone!

shinta|hikari
Mon, 01-25-2010, 05:25 PM
I didn't like it much either. I watched it without hearing about any of the hype so I was not even expecting anything from it, but I still did not find it anything special. It wasn't a bad show, and was better than the average run of the mill stuff, but it is not even in my top 50.

I think I just didn't love any particular character, which is usually what makes me like a show a lot.

Kraco
Tue, 01-26-2010, 02:12 AM
I liked it but unlike my post from years ago indicates, I don't anymore consider it such an excellent show. However, I still completely agree with Yuki: It'd be a perfect beginner anime. Now I've already seen too many better shows and too many shows in general to consider this kind of a work to be near the top of my list. Although it does belong to my favorite genre: Adventure.