PDA

View Full Version : What is One Piece?

Super5
Tue, 12-05-2006, 03:43 PM
Sorry if this has been discussed already, but... what do people think is the "One Piece" treasure? Is it the ancient history, a collection of devil's fruits, gold and jewels, objects of power, or all of the above?? Post your theories here!

BioAlien
Tue, 12-05-2006, 04:11 PM
One piece is an island, on that island, there is a piece of paper, on that paper there is writen ; YHBT.

:p

el_boss
Tue, 12-05-2006, 04:48 PM
Well it must be something really really good. It can't be just a piece of tresure, 'cause that would be totally lame. I think it's some kind of weapon, or maybe something that fulfills wishes, or something that gives a lot of power.

DarthEnderX
Tue, 12-05-2006, 04:59 PM
It's one of the ancient weapons. A ship capable of flying off into space. So that the Captain who reaches it can continue to journey to the end of the universe with his nakama.

Aeon
Tue, 12-05-2006, 05:12 PM
I don't think it's anything, I think he simply said that knowing it would start the great age of the pirates.

xDarkMaster
Tue, 12-05-2006, 05:16 PM
I'm pretty sure in an interview with Oda he said One Piece was a tangible object.

Deblas
Tue, 12-05-2006, 05:50 PM
I'm pretty sure in an interview with Oda he said One Piece was a tangible object.

you remember what interview?...I don't remember anything about that.

It would be awesome if it is in fact a shit load of gold but most likely it will be something symbolic. I'm just gonna put what I wrote somewhere else (can't remember where).

Gold Roger said he left EVERYTHING he owned in One Piece. What did he own? Wealth, fame, and power. I believe Raftel (the last island) doesn't hold Gold Rogers treasure, instead it holds a deep meaning. The Grand Line is a very dangerous place and Raftel is the last and hardest island to reach. Pirates who are able to reach it are pirates with great wealth, great fame and great power and that is what I think One Piece really is. You will have gained all those three aspects when you finally reach the last island. Raftel just gives proof that you are indeed the greatest pirate that ever lived.

meh...its just a thought. It could just be a mountain of gold....or the rio poneglyph.

xDarkMaster
Tue, 12-05-2006, 07:01 PM
I don't have a link to the interview but I know several people have said it at AP, just search for "tangible."

One post said it was in a SBS, so if you wanna go look through all 40 or w/e of them go ahead.

el_boss
Tue, 12-05-2006, 07:11 PM
@Deblas: I like your theory. It actually makes loads of sense.

Augury
Tue, 12-05-2006, 09:03 PM
I'm also in favor believing that one piece is an understanding of some sort in relation to Roger's treasure, since it seems that the crewmembers all have a dream and/or treasure. However, I also recall some AP members referencing that Oda said One Piece is a tangible object. I'll try digging it up tomorrow if nobody else does, for now I need to finish some work.

animus
Tue, 12-05-2006, 10:20 PM
Maybe all of Gold Roger's "treasure" is left there. Maybe the history of the D.'s, and maybe he left his family there. Just a guess.

Board of Command
Wed, 12-06-2006, 12:55 AM
The key phrase is he left everything "in One Piece." What did he own? Although I like Deblas' theory a lot, it doesn't have much to do with the actual phrase. It's more like "One Place." Remember, whoever takes One Piece becomes the pirate king. If all it takes is to reach Raftel, then we'd have lots of pirate kings because I'm sure those uber pirates like Whitebeard and Shanks are all very capable of getting there.

I support the idea that One Piece is a tangible object because one must possess it in order to be crowned the pirate king. Going on pure speculation, I think it revolves around the idea that Luffy is *possibly* Gold Roger's son. I think One Piece is actually Luffy. Again, focusing on the phrase "left everything in One Piece," I think he meant that fame, power and wealth did not mean anything in comparison to his own son, and when he passed away, the only thing left that he cared about was in "one piece," his son, while everything else has been shattered. This would lead to the pirate age and the quest to find One Piece would separate the true pirates from the greedy wannabes.

All other pirates would then interpret this as a quest for fame and wealth, but really it is merely a test of character for his own son. Throughout the series they often emphasized how most pirates in the world have written off One Piece as a myth and don't really bother to live as real pirates. Also, the entire show is based around the goals and dreams of each member of the Straw Hat Pirates and how they band together despite their different agendas. That is the true pirate spirit. He wanted his son to grow up to be a good pirate and if he makes it to Raftel (or wherever the thing is) and finds "One Piece," it will likely just be something that says CONGRATULATIONS. The story is not about becoming the pirate king; instead, it's about persevering through tough times and never giving up in order to reach your goal.

Augury
Wed, 12-06-2006, 02:06 AM
A lot of thought put behind that, but unfortunately Luffy is 17 and Roger was executed 22 years ago.

6Zabuza9
Wed, 12-06-2006, 04:44 AM
gold roger's ship?

Stoopider
Wed, 12-06-2006, 05:49 AM
The Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil.

Where all the Devil Fruits are grown.

el_boss
Wed, 12-06-2006, 08:04 AM
A lot of thought put behind that, but unfortunately Luffy is 17 and Roger was executed 22 years ago.
So he must be a test-tube baby then. :P

The Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil.

Where all the Devil Fruits are grown.
But you can only eat one fruit, so that would suck.

Super5
Wed, 12-06-2006, 05:18 PM
Personally I think it's a combination of things: information - the Rio Poneglyph, which possibly ties into the D's. Also treasure, because you a pirate has to own gold and jewels. Devil fruits are also incredibly valuable, so I would guess there's a stash of them there as well.

@Board of Command - It's a nice theory, but disregarding the age difference, I think the One Piece is actually treasure in the traditional sense of the word. This is a pirate anime, after all. Also I wouldn't be so quick to assume that Whitebeard and Shanks can easily make it to Raftel. Who knows, maybe it's so ridiculously difficult to get there that no one's been since Gold Roger?

Death13a
Wed, 12-06-2006, 05:49 PM
I take my guess and say there is a sing saying "Nice try. Good luck next time".

Augury
Wed, 12-06-2006, 06:13 PM
Hm, I said I'd dig for info on whether Oda said One Piece was tangible or not, but I'm simply too tired right now and need to sleep (been up 25 hours writing and submitting my 15 page final / research paper -_-

In any case, this is what I've found so far:

In an interview (http://www.thegrandline.com/odateach.html), Oda is asked:
Q.37 is there a secret which no one around knows?
to which Oda answers:
A The secret of the naming of the title One Piece.

This leads me to believe that he has not dropped any direct-answer type clues about the nature of the pirate treasure One Piece.

But in any case, sabret00the of AP forums claims that "Oda has specifically stated that One Piece exists and is tangible." in this thread (http://apforums.net/showthread.php?t=8540) (post #11) and doesn't point to exactly where except to mention that it is in an SBS. (post #30).

I've run through the SBS volumes (4-43) briefly once but didn't find anything, so I was going to go through them again and read each question carefully. I'm up to volume 11 now, and I'm going to sleep =P

FrogKing
Wed, 12-06-2006, 06:57 PM
But in any case, sabret00the of AP forums claims that "Oda has specifically stated that One Piece exists and is tangible." in this thread (http://apforums.net/showthread.php?t=8540) (post #11) and doesn't point to exactly where except to mention that it is in an SBS. (post #30).

I've run through the SBS volumes (4-43) briefly once but didn't find anything, so I was going to go through them again and read each question carefully. I'm up to volume 11 now, and I'm going to sleep =P

Yep, I went thru the SBS volumes after reading that post and this thread...big waste of time (except that I now know the birthday of the Mugiwaras and what Buggy looks like w/o a hat) and full of just jokes. I wasn't able to find anything in particular that would support what he said (re: that OP is tangible). That isn't to say that it was not in an interview somewhere else...

As for my opinion as to what OP is, I agree that it most likely is something symbolic...kinda like "One Thing" the secret of life is 'One Thing' in that if you focus on your goal and then achieve it (e.g. getting to the end of the Grand Line and becoming Pirate King) then you can die happily b/c you fulfilled the goal that you set out to.

<Wow, I was kinda working off a tangent but I actually like that idea...>

poopdeville
Mon, 12-25-2006, 11:45 PM
I bet it's One Piece of Gold. Probably a Bellie coin.

That and the Rio Poneglyph. I've got a feeling that the government kicked the crap out of everybody with D. in their name during that hidden history period. Roger probably found the Rio Poneglyph and told everyone to find One Piece to get the strongest people with D. in their names to find it, discover the truth, and topple the government.

DarthEnderX
Tue, 12-26-2006, 02:02 AM
As for my opinion as to what OP is, I agree that it most likely is something symbolic...kinda like "One Thing" the secret of life is 'One Thing' in that if you focus on your goal and then achieve it (e.g. getting to the end of the Grand Line and becoming Pirate King) then you can die happily b/c you fulfilled the goal that you set out to.
So, Oda based One Piece on City Slickers?

ven0m
Sun, 12-31-2006, 07:46 AM
Might be something to reverse the effects of a devils-fruit?

DarthEnderX
Sun, 12-31-2006, 01:22 PM
What kinda treasure is that?

Nobody on the crew strikes me as the kind of person who misses being able to swim all that much.

Death BOO Z
Fri, 01-05-2007, 04:57 AM
Maybe it's a real big button that says "push me"...
and when you push it you change the location of the grandline islands, and by that you create a new pirating era, since things have just been shuffeled up...

maybe its' a compass/map that actually works in the grand line, and allows you to get anywhere in there without relying on the silly compass they use now.