PDA

View Full Version : Byousoku 5 Centimeter: 5 Centimeters per Second

Zati
Mon, 12-04-2006, 03:54 AM
New movie by Makoto Shinkai coming soon! He's one of the great directors of Japanese animated movies, and most people should know his other great works, look below at Kraco's post. I really enjoyed "Beyond the Clouds" and "Voices of a Distant Star," so I am definately looking forward to this.

Scheduled to be released in early spring 2007.

5cm preview - Triad (http://a.scarywater.net/triad/%5BTriad%5D_5cm_preview.mp4.torrent)

Tono Takaki had to part from Shinohara Akari after the gradation from the elementary school. Despite their secret thoughts, only time has passed. One day, Takasi is going to see Akari in the heavy snow.

This movie is a collection of three stories; the first episode, “Okasho,” shows the day of their reunion. In the next episode, “Cosmonaut,” the story about Takaki after the reunion takes place from the viewpoint of another person. The last episode, “Byosoku 5 centimeter,” clips out the movements of their thoughts.

(Description from AnimeNfo)

Originally Posted by Pleroma

Info courtesy of an fansub group:

As promised, here's the translation of Makoto Shinkai's
feelings towards this new work (5 Centimeters Per Second):
"5 Centimeters Per Second" is a story drawn about a boy who
acts as the axle of an animated chain of three separate,
independent short stories. The setting of the story
stretches from Japan of the early 1990's to Japan of today.
As the boy's life changes, so do the places in the animation
- ranging from Tokyo to other various places in the Kantou
region.

In this work, there are no sci-fi, fantasy or any other
fictional elements found commonly in many other animation
works. In exchange for all of that, we are trying to instead
display reality as it really is after having performed some
very thorough location hunting.

Our everyday lives are indeed mostly not filled with
dramatic ups and downs, shocking betrayals, or sudden
revelations. However, in the end, despite all that, the
world still continues to live on filled to the brim various
beauties and richnesses.

Right now, we're aiming to make such a work that will catch
those sides of reality mentioned above so that even after
you're done watching the movie, you'll be able to take a new
look at the landscapes you're so used to and see them
shining more than they ever have before.

Links :
AniDB (http://anidb.info/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=4568)
AnimeNfo (http://www.animenfo.com/animetitle,3821,fkfpzq,byosoku_5_centi.html)
ANN (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=6696)
Official Site (http://5cm.yahoo.co.jp/)

Kraco
Mon, 12-04-2006, 04:04 AM
Just so that people would remember: This is from the same director as

Beyond the Clouds, The Promised Place (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=2324)
Voices of a Distant Star (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=775)

which might explain the strange sounding plot, but also tell what manner of general ideology to expect.

Ryllharu
Mon, 12-04-2006, 07:44 AM
You have no idea how long I've been waiting for this. I heard about it on ANN back in summer. I own the dvds of all his work. Support Makoto Shinkai so he can make even more of these films!

JaySee
Sat, 03-10-2007, 05:59 PM
aka DB's fake Naruto 5.
Looks interesting. I haven't watched it yet, but I will once I have sometime.

Lucifus
Sat, 03-10-2007, 06:02 PM
My gods.................:rolleyes: You do realize you have a warning pending to be shoved up your....."Don't make threads about a troll here...."

Edit to below: BoC says it best.

Board of Command
Sat, 03-10-2007, 06:10 PM
What the hell is this?

kenren
Sat, 03-10-2007, 07:10 PM
I'm guessing DB made a fake to get people to download it..

5 Centimeters per Second
-Contains three short stories:

* Oukashou (桜花抄)
* Cosmonaut (コスモナウト)
* Byousoku 5 Centimeter (秒速5センチメートル)

Plot Summary: Tono Takaki and Shinohara Akari are close friends who, upon graduation from elementary school, are parted because of family movement. Their deep feelings for each other keep them in contact, but they worry they may not meet again. Then, one day, Takaki decides to visit Akari.........This is a movie in three parts that follows the thoughts and relationship of 2 young people as they meet and part, both from their point of view and from people around them.

info taken from ANN (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=6696)

Lucifus
Sat, 03-10-2007, 07:18 PM
Wow, there was something behind this thread. I'll dl it but it'll prolly suck anywayz.

JaySee
Sun, 03-11-2007, 01:33 AM
Thanks to the 2 morons who neg repped me without watching the actual anime.

Anyways, it's actually a very good anime. I hope the other 2 parts get subbed as well. Only connection I see to DB is timecop helped with it. I hope people who got tricked by DB actually watch it instead of delete it right away. I look forward to more good trolls like this from DB.

animus
Sun, 03-11-2007, 07:52 AM
It's actually really good, it's just a calm story, tranquil and touching story. I've only watched the first "movie", hopefully the other 2 will be subbed. I think they're already out.

Arcn3ss
Sun, 03-11-2007, 09:33 AM
Iam looking forward to this. Its another work by Makoto Shinkai who did Voices of a Distant Star and The Place Promised in Our Early Days to name a few. However, I wont be downloading DB's version and there was another no name group who released it as well. Iam going to wait for The Triad to release it since they always do a good job.

Board of Command
Sun, 03-11-2007, 09:46 AM
Its another work by Makoto Shinkai
Guess that means I'm watching this. Maybe not DB's release if a better group is subbing.

?igma
Sun, 03-11-2007, 11:10 AM
Thanks to the 2 morons who neg repped me without watching the actual anime.

Who would that be :>

JaySee
Sun, 03-11-2007, 05:47 PM
DB didn't sub it. A guy called mt-i from bikasuishin. The relation to DB is that interactii timed it and timecop encoded it.

Munsu
Thu, 03-29-2007, 05:56 AM
So, is DB's fake actually a legit release for this movie? Or did they release this movie but with parody subs? I myself will be waiting for Triads version anyways, but just curious.

JaySee
Thu, 03-29-2007, 01:43 PM
Yes. Again DB didn't translate it. 2 of the members timed and encoded it. They took someone else's translation. They're not continuing the project and actually refer to the future release from The Triad on their website.

Chaos
Sun, 04-01-2007, 04:21 PM
I found a link for part 1 subtitled by KissSub(but I think I'll wait for Triad's version)

http://tracker.anirena.com/download.php?id=457

Kraco
Mon, 04-23-2007, 06:11 PM
I just watched the KissSub version, and while there wasn't anything really wrong with it, I I'll download Triad's version for archiving in any case (assuming they will sub it). This is the kind of project that would really benefit from a higher quality than the KissSub xvid/avi. Let's hope Triad will release it in h264.

Other than that, it was certainly an interesting watch from an artistic point of view - nothing less to be expected from Makoto Shinkai. The plot of the first episode was interesting in the sense it didn't actually contain much matter at all, but nonetheless the execution was masterful. Animes like this actually, at least in small doses, make me wonder more than Death Notes or Code Geasses, because it's easy to understand why those work so superbly, but it's harder to understand how a story like this can work and work so well at that.

animus
Mon, 04-23-2007, 08:24 PM
I just watched the KissSub version, and while there wasn't anything really wrong with it, I I'll download Triad's version for archiving in any case (assuming they will sub it). This is the kind of project that would really benefit from a higher quality than the KissSub xvid/avi. Let's hope Triad will release it in h264.

Other than that, it was certainly an interesting watch from an artistic point of view - nothing less to be expected from Makoto Shinkai. The plot of the first episode was interesting in the sense it didn't actually contain much matter at all, but nonetheless the execution was masterful. Animes like this actually, at least in small doses, make me wonder more than Death Notes or Code Geasses, because it's easy to understand why those work so superbly, but it's harder to understand how a story like this can work and work so well at that.

It's kinda like Seirei no Moribito in my opinion. Somehow you can feel the story being able to end in another 3-4 episode maybe, but you can just feel that it's superb, engrossing, and it'll be epic.

JaySee
Wed, 06-27-2007, 11:28 PM
FYI, The Triad has dropped this as ADV has licensed it.

Board of Command
Fri, 06-29-2007, 10:15 AM
AWWWW HEEL NO

BakaDave
Wed, 07-25-2007, 04:16 AM
Is anyone else downloaded naruto and found instead the first installment of the 3 part mini-series / movie by the great Makoto Shinkai, then I suggest you download the mouth watering piece of eye candy. The full dvd has been released and the raw has been online for a couple of days. I have yet to find an english sub help with this would be appreciated.

P.S. Could the dvd have subs and someone rip them with the subs?

shinta|hikari
Thu, 07-26-2007, 11:55 PM
Is it still not subbed yet? Ive watched the raw, and it was pretty nice and heart wrenching.

immortal squish
Fri, 07-27-2007, 06:22 PM
I have yet to find a subbed copy of the latter two portions.

Hearing that Triad dropped it explains much, and makes me a sad puppy indeed. We can always hope that the U.S. DVD comes out sometime within the next decade...

Ryllharu
Fri, 07-27-2007, 07:35 PM
The last two films Makoto Shinkai made were brought to dvd relatively quickly, and were commercial successes as anime movies go. I see no reason why they wouldn't with this one either.

ADV has already licensed it, which they announced on the 26th of June. I'll buy it just like I bought the other two. ADV released the previous Shinkai film on dvd 5 months after the dvd came out in Japan.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 07-27-2007, 09:17 PM
Shinkai's work is worth buying anyway, so I dont see the point in not doing so. If what Ryll says is correct, its not really that much of a wait, since this isnt really a sequel or anything.

Kraco
Sat, 07-28-2007, 03:02 AM
Hmm... Is this going to be three separate DVDs or all three in one packet?

shinta|hikari
Sat, 07-28-2007, 05:29 AM
I think its only one dvd, since it is technically one movie with three parts.

immortal squish
Tue, 07-31-2007, 12:33 PM
Can I get a hell yeah?

The complete three chapter Byousoku movie has been subtitled! :)
link (http://www.pireze.org/blog/?p=300)

Just download the raw movie from your torrent site of choice, and rename the subtitle file to match the name of the movie file. That way Media Player Classic and VLAN player should play the subtitles automatically. Enjoy!

*Note: I had to speed the subtitles up about 3.6 seconds to make it match the audio, YMMV.

After staying up way past my bedtime last night to finish off this movie, I must say that it was definitely worth the trouble. I'll save the commentary for after everyone gets a chance to watch it for themselves.

Board of Command
Tue, 07-31-2007, 01:18 PM
Thanks for the subs. Now I have to go look for a raw...

As for getting the subs to work, you can save the trouble by putting everything in an MKV container using MKVToolNix.

Munchie
Tue, 07-31-2007, 06:46 PM
edit: Thought this had come out in three parts, but I guess it is all one movie which I just grabbed.

Thanks for the link to the subs!

Board of Command
Tue, 07-31-2007, 07:31 PM
Just finished this. There's not much to say about it other than it's another masterpiece. The animation, like the other two films, is stunning once again. The overall atmosphere was similar to Beyond the Clouds. The characters were very life-like. The story was disjoint but at the same time perfectly coherent. It does a great job of putting you in the characters' shoes, seeing what they see and feeling what they feel. I thought it borrowed elements from both previous films (long distance communication, rural setting, etc..) but it combined them into something much more realistic.

It wasn't a dramatic story like Beyond the Clouds or Voices of a Distant Star. It was much more "human", so to speak. And on that level, I have to say this is Makoto Shinkai's best work yet.

shinji3379
Sun, 08-12-2007, 02:34 AM
anime-rg just released the DVD version
and i think its all of it subbed... cuz its like almost 700MB

kenren
Sun, 08-12-2007, 03:54 AM
Anime-RG (http://tracker.minglong.org/torrents/%5BAnime-RG%5D%205%20Centimeters%20per%20Second%20%5BDVD%5D %5BED213CA9%5D.mkv.torrent)

I'm getting it right now, isn't 700mb small for 3 full parts?

Kraco
Sun, 08-12-2007, 05:35 AM
I'm getting it right now, isn't 700mb small for 3 full parts?

Nah. With a length barely over an hour and a resolution of 720x480 in h264, it's well within the normal size range.

Board of Command
Sun, 08-12-2007, 09:39 PM
The whole movie is only 60 minutes anyway,

kenren
Mon, 08-13-2007, 09:56 AM
this movie is great..though, it's just sad that both Akira and Tono could not get together in the end. Cheers! Makoto Shinkai!

Board of Command
Sun, 04-27-2008, 02:32 PM
720p and 1080p versions were released recently by THORA.

http://www.thoranime.org/5cm_720.htm
http://www.thoranime.org/5cm_1080.htm

The way it's meant to be watched.

David75
Sun, 04-27-2008, 02:54 PM
720p and 1080p versions were released recently by THORA.

http://www.thoranime.org/5cm_720.htm
http://www.thoranime.org/5cm_1080.htm

The way it's meant to be watched.

The SD version released weeks ago was honestly quite good, even on a HD projector.
I will compare with the 720 and 1080p ones for my own info.
Thanks for the links.

Board of Command
Sun, 04-27-2008, 09:02 PM
I just skimmed through the 1080p version and it's stunning.

Ryllharu
Sun, 04-27-2008, 09:04 PM
I picked up the dvd a few days ago. I want him to keep making films and for companies here to keep licensing them. If I can't send money right to his house, that is as good a method as any.

Of course, I download them as soon as a torrent shows up.

David75
Mon, 04-28-2008, 01:43 PM
I just skimmed through the 1080p version and it's stunning.

True that it's clearer, but the 704*480 version is a very high quality encode.
I compared the 3 versions (704*480,1280*720,1920*1080) on a HD projector, at 6 feet from a 107" screen and I have to say that you need to search for details in the first scene of this anime. Obviously there are differences, but not that much.

Then I compared the Bourne Ultimatum trailer in 1080p to an old Matrix Reloaded SD DVD I have and the conclusion is very different. I was wondering if I needed glasses when watching the DVD.

I guess the differences didn't show that much on the anime for a simple reason, it's an anime. Very beautiful and artistic, but these remain drawings. Even if they are detailed, lots of things are different from lets say a true face, skin, surrondings etc... there the eye can discriminate so much things it's incredible.

Anyways, I may rewatch it (which I never do with anime, at least full ep/movie rewatch).
I need to get the feeling of what's happening a little better, had a seemingly ressembling experience when I was 17.

Board of Command
Mon, 04-28-2008, 01:50 PM
Yeah, it's much harder to spot differences in high resolution anime because it's mostly solid lines and colors, as opposed to actual textures.

I think the main advantage of watching a high resolution version is that it drastically reduces artifacts and blocks. If I watch the 1080p version on my 22" monitor, it has to downscale it to 1680x945, which essentially removes all edge artifacts in the process. I get a perfectly smooth fullscreen image out of it.

With the SD version, the original resolution is less than 1/4 of my screen.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 07-02-2008, 01:58 AM
I just watched this myself as part of may holiday anime binge. I have to say, I want to buy this when it come out here, even if I'm broke. Almost wanted to cry when I saw that engagement ring on Akari. Almost...

Best enjoyed when you don't have to rush off to something else straight after.