PDA

View Full Version : Movie: Harry Potter and The Order of the Phoenix

RyougaZell
Thu, 11-23-2006, 09:50 AM
IGN posted 2 days ago the very first teaser trailer of this upcoming movie.

Here (http://media.movies.ign.com/media/040/040689/vids_1.html)

The movie will premiere on July 13, 2007.

I find funny how the teaser totally ignored Luna, with all the fuse her "actress" caused a few months ago.

Anyway, the trailer shows Bellatrix Lestrange for the first time, and she looks great.

Kraco
Thu, 11-23-2006, 10:24 AM
Didn't look bad. Could turn out to be an interesting movie.

Carnage
Thu, 11-23-2006, 11:57 AM
The trailer looks nice. But is it the same director as the last movie?

RyougaZell
Thu, 11-23-2006, 12:48 PM
New director -> David Yates

hence the new haircuts

Winged Dancer
Thu, 11-23-2006, 01:13 PM
I'll watch that movie as soon as it comes out but not because I'm that interested but because a few friends of mine are braindead Potter fans.... I'm hoping it'll be good, since the 5th book was a compendium of teenage anger. HARRY YELLS TOO MUCH, too, and Cho cries all day long and is an emo....

...I didn't like the book, but maybe it'll be good when I see it in motion...

Kraco
Thu, 11-23-2006, 01:28 PM
since the 5th book was a compendium of teenage anger. HARRY YELLS TOO MUCH, too, and Cho cries all day long and is an emo....

I think watching so much anime should have made us far more resistant to the adverse effects of those traits than some average joe randomly picked from the crowd...

Animeniax
Thu, 11-23-2006, 04:06 PM
I never liked the movies because they cut out so much of the good stuff from the books. The Weasley twins are the most glaring example. And now, Michael Gambon is a terrible professor Dumbledore, especially compared to Richard Harris.

Who do you think would make a good Luna? Probably some unknown like with Cho's character, but if you wanted to go Hollywood, Dakota Fanning would make a good Luna Lovegood.

Carnage
Thu, 11-23-2006, 04:25 PM
New director -> David Yates

Thank god. The 4th book was my favorite (except for the ending of the sixth, which was great). But the 4th movie IMO was the worst. I'm really glad there's somebody new working on this.

ChaosK
Thu, 11-23-2006, 04:35 PM
Thank god. The 4th book was my favorite (except for the ending of the sixth, which was great). But the 4th movie IMO was the worst. I'm really glad there's somebody new working on this.

Yeah they turned what I thought would be the greatest book-->movie and made it suck shit..

RyougaZell
Thu, 11-23-2006, 04:46 PM
I never liked the movies because they cut out so much of the good stuff from the books. The Weasley twins are the most glaring example. And now, Michael Gambon is a terrible professor Dumbledore, especially compared to Richard Harris.

Who do you think would make a good Luna? Probably some unknown like with Cho's character, but if you wanted to go Hollywood, Dakota Fanning would make a good Luna Lovegood.

This is Luna Lovegood

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v241/RyougaZell/misc/luna.jpg

The fourth movie was so so. I wanted to see the Quidditch cup, plus the tasks from Cedric, Krum and Fleur's point of view.
Also it suxed they had the 'pretty boy' look (with everybody having long hair).

Thanks god the new director made them get a haircut.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v241/RyougaZell/misc/da.jpg

Animeniax
Fri, 11-24-2006, 12:34 AM
That sucks. Ginny and Cho are cute, why couldn't they pick a cuter Luna? Also, she doesn't have the bug eyes and doesn't look eccentric enough.

6Zabuza9
Fri, 11-24-2006, 01:38 AM
iforgot what happened in the book

Sapphire
Fri, 11-24-2006, 02:19 AM
Even though the first movies were pretty bad, I'm rather excited about this one, as they have been gradually getting better throughout. I don't care how cute an actor or actress is, as long as they can act. They chose beauty over talent in The Covenant, and we all know what happened with -that- train wreck.

Raven
Fri, 11-24-2006, 08:07 AM
I can't believe I'm admitting that I'm actually excited about this movie. It's around this time in the story that the books take a more violent adult turn so I'm hoping for a higher movie rating than normal. Not for kids imo.

RyougaZell
Fri, 11-24-2006, 09:47 AM
That sucks. Ginny and Cho are cute, why couldn't they pick a cuter Luna? Also, she doesn't have the bug eyes and doesn't look eccentric enough.

Emma Watson (Hermione) doesn't have bushy hair and big front teeth either.

Dean Thomas isn't suppose to be taller than Ron.

Neville should not be skiny.

Draco should be somewhat fat (first movie) like Dudley.

Dudley was supposed to be blond.

Voldemort should have red eyes.

Snape should have a beard.

Face it... you can't have them exactly the way they should. Especially with growing kids/teens.

Animeniax
Fri, 11-24-2006, 11:45 AM
Emma Watson (Hermione) doesn't have bushy hair and big front teeth either. First movie she did have bushy hair and cute little buck teeth.

Dean Thomas isn't suppose to be taller than Ron. Small detail.

Neville should not be skiny. True, but he does look goofy.

Draco should be somewhat fat (first movie) like Dudley. When was Draco ever described in the books as being slightly fat?

Dudley was supposed to be blond. Small detail, no deal breaker.

Voldemort should have red eyes. Colored contacts are so cheap these days, why did they skip this?

Snape should have a beard. Snape has a beard in the books? I don't recall them ever describing that, just his long greasy hair.

Face it... you can't have them exactly the way they should. Especially with growing kids/teens. For the most part, I could care less about these variances. All I care about is that the chicks are all cute.

RyougaZell
Fri, 11-24-2006, 12:46 PM
Well... Luna isn't supposed to be "cute"

Half-Blood Prince - Flight of the Prince chapter. Snape has beard on the picture "approved" by Rowling.

Philoshopers Stone. First encounter with Draco. Harry describes him being similar to Dudley.

RyougaZell
Sun, 12-03-2006, 12:16 AM
Hermione (http://youtube.com/watch?v=uIrbQ_mOPKY)
Ron (http://youtube.com/watch?v=IkCR3bBaPWE)
Umbridge (http://youtube.com/watch?v=suPxQGxm8LA)
Bellatrix Lestrange (http://youtube.com/watch?v=BuJ1XxKkBlU)
Luna Lovegood (http://youtube.com/watch?v=WGUBTVGmOdo)
Director David Yates (http://youtube.com/watch?v=Q40DAKxLcfQ)
Dumbledore's Army (http://youtube.com/watch?v=VDYJxvk_HXw)
The Order of the Phoenix (http://youtube.com/watch?v=w4EZ-biABqc)
The Kiss (http://youtube.com/watch?v=kHnomHlk6Kg)
Sirius Black (http://youtube.com/watch?v=e1ODmNO3SeE)

Raven
Sun, 12-03-2006, 01:19 AM
It's looking good, those videos are great. Bellatrix is pretty perfect, in fact I don't really have any complaints all round.

Kraco
Sun, 12-03-2006, 04:29 AM
Aye. It all looks quite promising based on those videos. And Gary Oldman is such a crazy dude that it's good he's back.

XanBcoo
Sun, 12-03-2006, 12:48 PM
I wish some of the actors they chose weren't so over the top. Case in point, Bellatrix Lestrange. Her acting, based on that short video, seems like something out of a poorly done kid's movie. It's hard to take it seriously. I know the point is to make it all look somewhat absurd and fantastic, but sometimes I get the feeling that after 4 movies, Rowling and the cast of the movies are still too caught up in the novelty of a "wizard world".

Anyway, the 5th movie is looking pretty decent. And I dunno what Animeniax is talking about. I don't even like blonde girls and I think Luna is really cute.

Ryllharu
Sun, 12-03-2006, 01:18 PM
I don't read any of the books, but I have gone to see every movie.

Personally, I liked all of the movies. I don't know what parts were cut out from the books, so I'm not really missing anything in the movies. If I did read the books, I'd probably have similar opinions to most of you.

As movies, the films are good. As adaptations of the books, maybe they're not on the same level. I'm really looking forward to this one. I like how the movies have gotten more mature and darker as the series progresses. I've just been enjoying the movies as they are.

Maybe one of these days I'll spend some money and pick up the books.

SK
Sun, 12-03-2006, 01:26 PM
Looks awesome, I'll be seeing it day out.

RyougaZell
Sun, 12-03-2006, 03:14 PM
I wish some of the actors they chose weren't so over the top. Case in point, Bellatrix Lestrange. Her acting, based on that short video, seems like something out of a poorly done kid's movie.

I found her quite on character. Bella is a really crazy witch, and eccentric as well.

She should have been introduced since the Goblet of Fire, but was cut out. Same way Cho Chang and Cedric Diggory should have been introduced since Prisioner of Azkaban.

Yukimura
Wed, 05-09-2007, 01:09 AM
Full Theatrical Trailer Released (http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/harry_potter_and_the_order_of_the_phoenix/trailers_player.php?IGNMediaID=1972351&playerType=playlist)

I noticed this before Spiderman 3 and figured I'd post it here. While I haven't read the books for some reason, I've been enjoying the movies and it looks like this one will cement the 'we're not little kids anymore' element that began in Goblet of Fire. The plot looks interesting (I didn't much care for the whole tournament theme of the last one, but the side plots were good), and the characters all seem to be acting like proper angsty teenagers with magic powers and someone to be angry at.

Also, Sirius Black, my current favorite character will be making an appearance as more than a flaming log so no matter what it won't be all bad.

EDIT: Thank you wikipedia...I look up a character to get the name spelled right and end up spoiling myself.

gr3atfull
Thu, 05-10-2007, 06:27 PM
Weasly twins <3

This movie is my second favortie after the 3rd one. They better not screw it up. I am really looking forward for it. Thanks for the trailer!!!!!!!

Super5
Fri, 05-11-2007, 07:02 PM
I too saw the trailer in front of Spiderman 3 and I'm sure it's going to rock. This and Pirates of the Carribean are at the top of my summer movie list.

@RyougaZell: Maybe Snape grows a beard between movies 5 and 6? :D Personally I don't think it matters much, since Rickman has just nailed the sliminess that is Snape.

itadakimasu
Tue, 05-15-2007, 12:02 AM
my gf could attest to how excited i am to see this movie... I saw the trailer when i went to see spiderman last week and i cant wait to see the movie. I remember the book being a little long but it was really good, i am about to do some googling and see what i can find out about when they're planning on releasing the final 2 before the charactors have a 5 oclock shadow

Yukimura
Wed, 07-11-2007, 05:41 PM
Very nice movie, the story really draws you in and it's gotten darker and darker with each installment. At this point I really don't think parents should be too happy and excited to take their 10 year old kids to see Harry Potter.

While the story was interesting I felt a lot of the developments were fairly obvious, though I chocked most of them up to it being based of a really dark kids story.

LaZie
Wed, 07-11-2007, 06:58 PM
Im going to see this movie tonight :p

Carnage
Wed, 07-11-2007, 09:42 PM
I just came back from this movie. I thought it was by far the best one yet. I do believe the directors made every following movie worse and worse, but this one was an exception. They made it coherent and although had to change a few scenes around, it was necessary.The battle scenes at the end were sick. Especially you know who vs. Dumbledore.

*I cant wait for my 7th book to come next saturday*.

P.S. This was definitely my favorite movie this year.

darkmetal505
Wed, 07-11-2007, 11:50 PM
I went in not expecting much, and I got even less.

Of all things, they should have done the Department of Mysteries correctly. That was amazing in the book. Each new corridor and Death Eater battle was fantastic. In the movie it was.... meh.

One thing that really got me was that Dumbledore and Voldemort's wands seemed to do Priori Incantatem, a phenomenom that only appears between dueling brother wands.

Comedy was good. Emma Watson is damn fine.

TruthofMistake
Thu, 07-12-2007, 08:11 AM
I thought they did a pretty good job with the movie. I go in expecting to have a lot of stuff cut out because that's how pretty much every movie that's based on a book turns out. I really liked the scene with Flitwick doing the little fist-pump, because while I guess they didn't feel like putting in the scene from the book where he pretends to not know how to get rid of the fireworks to save time, they still did an alright job of showing how much the teachers resented Umbridge. The movies are always a bare-bones version of the book and as far as that goes they did a good job here, I was entertained and will probably buy the movie.

And yeah Luna = Jailbait, she did a pretty good job too, her voice was perfect for the part, and whoever played Sirius Black did a fantastic job.

LaZie
Fri, 07-13-2007, 12:32 AM
For some reason. I happen to like this movie more than the others. Of course I was disappointed when Dumbledore didn't explain more about the prophecy at the end. I happened to enjoy the movie anyway. :p

Raven
Fri, 07-13-2007, 07:53 PM
This is probably my favourite book in the series and I really liked the movie. They did leave lots of things out I would have liked to see, and they didn't even acknowledge that it was Umbridge who sent those Dementors at the start (which is pretty major imo), but overall it was very entertaining and the 2.5 hours just flew by.

Because it's such a huge book it's hard to fit it all into a movie, but I felt like one of the side effects was that most of the characters felt like side characters as if they got 5 minutes each of screen time, including Ron and Hermione. It's understandable though, like I said. The only way to fix it would have been to have two movies to cover the one book, but they'd never do that.

Dumbledore still sucks though. The original Dumbledore was just so perfect in my mind where as this one is erratic, overly emotional and doesn't seem to be in control of any situation. This is probably the director's fault though. I was looking forward to the final battle between Voldemort and Dumbledore, and while it was visually amazing it didn't seem to portray the same atmosphere in the book. Voldemort was supposed to be attacking Dumbledore while Dumbledore calmly deflects his attacks, and all the while Voldemort has a scared look on his face. The movie portrayed Dumbledore to be this frail old man who might have a heart attack at any minute and who was easily outmatched by Voldemort, and he even looked scared. Dumbledore never looks scared. This is the way it seemed to me anyhow.

Overall, I approved of all the decisions they had to make to cut things from the story, and what they came up with worked really, really well. An excellent addition to the series. I would have liked to see a bit more about Harry being emo after finding out his father was not the great man he thought, but there just wasn't enough time.

Carnage
Sat, 07-14-2007, 12:05 PM
One thing though, wasn't there a sword battle between Dumbledore and Voldemort? Im too lazy to go get my book, but didnt Dumbledore use the sword of Gryffendor against Voldemort's Slytherin shield?

Fire dragons and Water spheres, they reminded me of Naruto >.<

darkmetal505
Sat, 07-14-2007, 01:34 PM
One thing though, wasn't there a sword battle between Dumbledore and Voldemort? Im too lazy to go get my book, but didnt Dumbledore use the sword of Gryffendor against Voldemort's Slytherin shield?

Fire dragons and Water spheres, they reminded me of Naruto >.<

He didn't use a sword. He used a spell so powerful that Voldemort had to conjure a shield to block it. Also, Dumbledore used the statues of the golden fountain to protect Harry and attack Voldemort. The snake wasn't made of fire and Fawkes also fought with Dumbledore.

I agree with Raven. Dumbledore was portrayed as a weak old man, whereas in the book he had the upper-hand most of the time in the battle.

RyougaZell
Sun, 07-15-2007, 08:09 PM
Saw it yesterday on IMAX.
It annoyed me they had to add a 20 minute 3D sequence. Those 3d glasses sucked hard.

Overall I liked the movie... which truly felt rushed, but... understandable seeing this is the SHORTEST film

Things I was dissapointed were left out:
- Umbridge revealing sending the Dementors
- Ginny yelling at Harry that she knows how it fells to be possessed
- Lucius Malfoy's arrest.
- Kreacher's betrayal.

On the other hand... I liked:
- Once again Neville takes Dobby's place in the story.
- Cho revealing everything because of Veritaserum.

And I certainly can't understand...
- Umbridge using the Blood Quill on everyone. And the parents? And teachers? And Dumbledore? How come nobody did nothing more than discuss with Umbridge?

Umbrige, Luna, Bellatrix and Tonks were personificated marvelously.

masamuneehs
Tue, 07-17-2007, 02:52 AM
i thought it was a pretty good movie. it's impossibly short for such a long source material to cover, and the flow of Rowling's style is just too slow for a movie...

Loved how they did the Giant, Dumbledore was OK in my point (his talk wiht harry at the end shoulda been longer) and the Army. I really think they did the best job in the Ministry of Magic archives finale, especially the Wizard fighting (strong throughout) (the tangling DBZ energy wand stalemate aside) Umbridge and Luna were excellent surprises as additions. Neville came off excellently. I'm really liking the guy they got to do Voldemort, not wwhat I pictured in mind, but I'm really liking him.

The other side: Cho wasn't hot enough for my tastes. Hermione delivered some horrible lines early on, i thought... Sirius' death just didn't hit me the same way... Needs more Malfoy. Needs less Finch. Needs more Occulamancy talking. Overall, I would have gladly sat through a longer movie to get more details in and the pacing more lesiurely. I wanted more stuff about the Black house... and page 112...

itadakimasu
Tue, 07-17-2007, 09:55 PM
this was one of the longer books, and was really good. its just really hard to scrap a 500-600 page book into a 2 hour movie. Some parts seemed to just fly by. no quidditch, i kept thinking about how old harry looked.

I read all the books before i saw the first of the movies so i am maybe a little biased, and i think that it would be better if they had one director instead of a hodge podge. The overall feel to the movie i thought was kind of weird, and the main story i remember from the book seemed to be greatly condensed (Dumbledores army)

one of my most anticipated movies of this year..... i give it a B-.

But, more to come !!!! this is such a great movie year. unless something surprises me in the next 2 weeks, the bourne ultimatum is next up on my theater queue.

Assassin
Tue, 07-17-2007, 10:21 PM
i think i'll finally start reading the books.....fairly decent movie. i've liked all of them so far since i haven't read the books, but they never got me intrested enough that i couldn't wait to find out what happens next. This movie has accomplished that. There was definately a more adult feel to it.

el_boss
Sat, 07-21-2007, 06:44 AM
I liked it. Finally we got some action.

There's one thing I don't get though. Why are they calling Harry a half blood and why have they started to call his mother a mudblood?

Splash!
Sat, 07-21-2007, 04:56 PM
There's one thing I don't get though. Why are they calling Harry a half blood and why have they started to call his mother a mudblood?

Mudblood: Derogatory term for witch or wizard born to parents that are BOTH muggles.

Harry's mom was born to muggles(non magical folk). She was like Hermione.

Half Blood: Non pure blood witches/wizards but not muggleborn

Pure Blood: Witches/Wizards born to parents that are BOTH descendants of ancient Wizarding lineages.

Harry's mother was a Mudblood while his dad was a pure blood. Hence he himself is not a pure blood but a half blood.
A half blood does not necessarily have to have one muggle parent and one magical one. It is more of an "Everyone else" category.
Pure bloods, in the books, are eventually becoming more and more rare because there are only a handful of true wizarding families and the only way they can preserve their 'purity' is through inter-marriage. The majority of witches/wizards are supposed fall into the first 2 categories

el_boss
Sat, 07-21-2007, 05:42 PM
Mudblood: Derogatory term for witch or wizard born to parents that are BOTH muggles.

Harry's mom was born to muggles(non magical folk). She was like Hermione.

Half Blood: Non pure blood witches/wizards but not muggleborn

Pure Blood: Witches/Wizards born to parents that are BOTH descendants of ancient Wizarding lineages.

Harry's mother was a Mudblood while his dad was a pure blood. Hence he himself is not a pure blood but a half blood.
A half blood does not necessarily have to have one muggle parent and one magical one. It is more of an "Everyone else" category.
Pure bloods, in the books, are eventually becoming more and more rare because there are only a handful of true wizarding families and the only way they can preserve their 'purity' is through inter-marriage. The majority of witches/wizards are supposed fall into the first 2 categoriesOh I see. I thought they where pure if both parents where wizards. Man there has to be a lot of inbreeding going on. Those wizards are som kinky bastards.

ChaosK
Tue, 07-24-2007, 01:12 AM
Oh I see. I thought they where pure if both parents where wizards. Man there has to be a lot of inbreeding going on. Those wizards are som kinky bastards.

I used to wonder about Harry's half-bloodedness too but I just accepted it after a while. And yeah there's a lot of imbreeding, basically all the pure-blood families are related in a way or another.

Anyway, finally got my hands on this movie and I suppose it was alright...I mean, it was all extremely rushed and I felt like there was no development at all before the scenes changed. Although I did like the way the Weasly twins left Hogwarts, that was nicely done, but we saw too little of all the other teachers and the fact that Quidditch was made such an important part of the story in the 5th and 6th book, to see it absent in the movie was kind of disappointing, although I suppose it's impossible for them to include matches and keep it under 4 hours. One thing I wished they had added was the fact that Ron and Hermonie were prefects (as well as Draco) and Harry's anger issues in the beginning was really poorly done...I mean, he should've been furious of being kept in the dark but he barely raised his voice and the Weasly twins appeared telling him to stop yelling...
Also, they should've included the scene where Harry suspects he may be the weapon that Voldermart is after, and then goes into seclusion. And did anyone else find it weird that Luna had more lines than Ginny? I mean, the whole minestry battle looked awesome, but there was very little content and I thought that was what they were saving all the time for, to have a great battle. The students' escape from the Death Eaters was really kinda boring, and there was no injuries sustained...I mean comon, these are students fighting fucking Death Eaters! At least in the book, people broke their noses, snapped their ankles and shit. And when the Order finally showed up, there was barely anything shown of the battle, we had flying wisps of silver and black for some reason, but no dueling shown besides for Sirius and Harry vs Lucius and unnamed Death Eater A.

Finally two last things:
1) Sirius's death was reeeeally shitty. I mean, there was supposed to be a great duel between him and Bellatrix with Sirius having a fun time at it until hit with the curse, in the movie, Bellatrix fucking appears out of no where hits him with a green jet of light and then runs away...
2) Ahh...Dumbledore vs Voldermart. This, despite all of the other opinions I've read in this thread, I thought was done quite well. Of course it was different than what I had imagined, I expected the whole statues for cover thing, but their duel was the only actual duel in the whole movie. Although after that, Voldermart reappearing was just bullshit. I mean he apparates right next to Harry and Dumbledore doesn't do shit? Then the minestry workers appear and he disapparates? WTF was the point of that.

Now with all those complaints, there were a few things I thought were great. Firstly, Sirius appearing behind Lucius and going "get away from my godson" that was gold, but I didn't expect him to punch him, still awesome. Secondly, the DA setup was extremely rushed, but I did like the fact that they dedicated a bulk of the movie for it. That was important, but I would've thought the minestry battle was more important. Oh and I also liked the beginning, the dementor attack was nicely done, but the Durstly reactions were terrible. Vernon should've been on the verge of exploding and Petunia livid until receiving the howler from Dumbledore (which never came) And Dumbledore's ignoring of Harry was well done, but never explained, I mean WTFBBQ?

Oh yeah, one last complaint, Cho wasn't nearly as hot was she was supposed to be, and that kiss lasted waaaaay longer than it did in the book. And Luna looked way different than I had thought...but a lot better than Cho did. (so did Ginny) Also, I did like the fact that they had Ginny giving small looks of liking Harry since that will be a good setup for the next film, but again too little lines.

...I'm done. :eek: