PDA

View Full Version : The "King" piece and the Next Hokage

CapsuleCorpJX
Sat, 11-04-2006, 05:54 AM
From Chap 328, I believe the next Hokage is probably going to be Shikamaru. Naruto will most likely be a "Jiraya" type character, an extremely strong fighter but not in any leadership or subordinate role.

As for the "King" piece Asuma mentions, it is most likely Naruto.
What is the King piece in Chess? its the one piece that if is captured or lost, you loose the game.

If Akatsuki captured Naruto, the game could very well be over as they would capture and extract the most powerful known demon. Not to mention Naruto is already an extremely powerful Ninja representing a significant portion of the Konoha's firepower.

Stoopider
Sat, 11-04-2006, 06:45 AM
I think the next Hokage would be Kakashi, then Naruto.

I agree the King is Naruto. Don't think Naruto would be the brains, but the inspiration to the village. Kinda in the George Bush mould :D. Dumb leader but hopefully have some smart assistants to make him decide.

RasenDori
Sat, 11-04-2006, 09:37 AM
the next hokage is naruto. im not taking any guesses on the king

Yukimura
Sun, 11-05-2006, 02:28 AM
What's all this about a new Hokage...The boards don't go back that far but I assume people were wondering about the next Hokage back when Oro and the Third were fighting? However back then at least there was a plot driven chance that they might need a new Hokage. I doubt Tsunade is going anywhere anytime soon and also the Hokage is generally the most capable ninja in the village, which Naruto won't be for a very long time (He'd need at least two training montages....) anyway if the chess game has any significance at all I think that the 'King' most likely hasn't been revealed yet. But we can all go about thinking everything revolves around Naruto even when he seems to have developed the least since the time jump.

I miss Goku...you always knew he was the best and no matter what other people did he would immediately outclass them.

Winged Dancer
Sun, 11-05-2006, 12:36 PM
Heh, yes, sometimes I miss the old shounen heroes, they just couldn't lose... no matter how strong/smart the villain was they'd find a way to defeat him. I remember when I read Hikaru no Go and Hikaru lost - I couldn't believe it. He's the hero! How could he lose?? Same applies with Naruto...

As some people have said before, I just hope that the "King" isn't "friendship" or "love". It would be very frustrating if it was something like that, as it is pretty dumb and has been used before... a lot... I guess it'd be logical if it was Naruto, but I feel I would be somewhat dissapointed if that was the case.

RasenDori
Sun, 11-05-2006, 07:50 PM
i can remember goku losing his first tournament.

bxgreatone87
Sun, 11-05-2006, 11:32 PM
i can remember goku losing his first tournament.

Hell goku even took a few deaths here and there. Also from another popular anime/manga ichigo has lost before also. When a main character loses they always get a considerable power boost. EX: Naruto:wind rasengan, Goku: spirit bomb, Ichigo: zanpaktu name/bankai.

Anyway thats besides the point im still going with naruto as the king because if the akatsuki get him it is all over since they will have the most powerful chakra to them selves.

tehlegend
Tue, 11-21-2006, 12:34 AM
the thinking behind it could also be a bit more... i dont know... evolved?

perhaps the king is the village? or yourself? or your companions?

most likely the last one... i just dont see asuma all of a sudden wasting his dying breath telling shikamaru that whole slew of final comments just to finish it all off with "protect naruto at all costs, even if you barely knew the guy."

NaruGuy11
Wed, 11-22-2006, 02:51 AM
If you look at this from the stand point of a chess game and what the king represents. It is the pieces that is the most important it is the last one you want to put in dangerous situation and if you lose it you lose. We know that the king piece is specific to the player that plays it each player has there own king pieces that he/she holds. This tells that not only is the king piece diffrent for each player but we can assume it represent what is most important to that player.

We take these ideas and apply it to the situation.
~Asuma is the player.
~His king piece would be the what is most important and away from danger which would be Kurenai. We see many sceans of her in her home which one would consider a safe place much like were you want the king piece to be (in this case the king piece is a person but it could be anything a person holds most important)
~the much trickier piece to identify is the queen piece one can assume in this situation it could be one of two people.
1 Asuma- Queen could be seen as and extension of the player being the only piece on the board you have complete control of it moves any driection and any number of spaces and is closest to the king.
+This would lead us to assume that shika(shorten) would be the bishop the piece that is closes to the queen and king. This could be why shika ask to tell Kurenai himself.
2 Shika - On the other hand shika could be the queen piece. The players best freind and the most loyal piece on the board and the one that you want to save the king if in tight situations.
*This is all my thoughts and my preception on it*
As for who will be hokage most likely it will remain the same and the only time it will change is probably the last chapter were it will probably be naruto if he is still alive.(you never know) and even then it will be just a glimpse.

CapsuleCorpJX
Wed, 11-22-2006, 04:05 AM
If you look at this from the stand point of a chess game and what the king represents. It is the pieces that is the most important it is the last one you want to put in dangerous situation and if you lose it you lose. We know that the king piece is specific to the player that plays it each player has there own king pieces that he/she holds. This tells that not only is the king piece diffrent for each player but we can assume it represent what is most important to that player.

We take these ideas and apply it to the situation.
~Asuma is the player.
~His king piece would be the what is most important and away from danger which would be Kurenai. We see many sceans of her in her home which one would consider a safe place much like were you want the king piece to be (in this case the king piece is a person but it could be anything a person holds most important)
~the much trickier piece to identify is the queen piece one can assume in this situation it could be one of two people.
1 Asuma- Queen could be seen as and extension of the player being the only piece on the board you have complete control of it moves any driection and any number of spaces and is closest to the king.
+This would lead us to assume that shika(shorten) would be the bishop the piece that is closes to the queen and king. This could be why shika ask to tell Kurenai himself.
2 Shika - On the other hand shika could be the queen piece. The players best freind and the most loyal piece on the board and the one that you want to save the king if in tight situations.
*This is all my thoughts and my preception on it*
As for who will be hokage most likely it will remain the same and the only time it will change is probably the last chapter were it will probably be naruto if he is still alive.(you never know) and even then it will be just a glimpse.

If you're right, then its very campy. I don't like it.

Kurenai may be a woman and a love interest of Asuma, but she's still a freaking Jounin. I doubt she is being put behind in a safe spot on purpose. She most likely is between missions.

Considering Asuma names both himself and Shikamaru as players in the same chess game, I would assume the King piece is common to both of their interests, and most likely the interests of the Village as a whole.

So again, I would think it is Naruto or at least something that if taken destroyed or captured, puts the whole village at great risk.

Super5
Wed, 12-06-2006, 01:35 PM
My guess is that Naruto is the King piece - for the simple reason that if Naruto is captured, the summoned bound demon that Akatsuki is working with will be completed. This would probably be a Very Bad Thing (TM). I don't think Naruto is the next hokage though... there needs to be at least one more inbetween Tsunade and him.

@Yukimura - There might be a need for a new hokage sooner than we think. I'm predicting Tsunade will die a violent death at the hands of Akatsuki, or at least be permanently incapacitated when the fighting comes to Konoha.

On a side note, is Gaara still the Kazekage?

conquistaDan
Sat, 12-16-2006, 05:54 PM
Yes Gaara is still the Kazekage, because he's still alive and hasn't been "dethroned"

I agree that Naruto is the king piece but not for the reason that his capture will complete the demon.I think it's more, he's the final end all be all most powerful character in the series.

And the demon won'tbe complete with him.They still have 3 demons to catch.

Akatsuki possesses six tailed beasts: the one-tailed Shukaku, the two-tailed demon cat, the three-tailed demon, and three other unknown demons.

So I don't think that they'll be taking over the world anytime soon.

I agree that we'll be seeing a 6th hokage soon.Shes gone bros, gone.I don't care how strong she is, one the akatsuki come on in,unless Kishi devises a brilliant hiding plan for naruto,and makes Kakashi alot stronger,shes dead when they come to town.

Sidnne
Sat, 12-16-2006, 07:52 PM
What's all this about a new Hokage...The boards don't go back that far but I assume people were wondering about the next Hokage back when Oro and the Third were fighting? However back then at least there was a plot driven chance that they might need a new Hokage. I doubt Tsunade is going anywhere anytime soon and also the Hokage is generally the most capable ninja in the village, which Naruto won't be for a very long time (He'd need at least two training montages....) anyway if the chess game has any significance at all I think that the 'King' most likely hasn't been revealed yet. But we can all go about thinking everything revolves around Naruto even when he seems to have developed the least since the time jump.

I miss Goku...you always knew he was the best and no matter what other people did he would immediately outclass them.

Tsunade doesn't have to go anywhere for there to be a new Hokage. There isn't just a single Hokage at any given time.
Remember, The 1st and 2nd were both Hokage at the same time, and then they added the 3rd, so there was at least three at one time.
I don't know if the 4th was a Hokage while the 1st and 2nd were still alive, but he was definately Hokage while the 3rd was still around, so there was two then.

During the chuunin exam war, Oro told the 3rd that he was foolish for not appointing another Hokage because now Konoha would be without one. So there is no reason why Tsunade wouldn't add another to ensure that the village isn't without a Hokage again, should something happen to her.

As for the "King"... It's very easy to assume its's Naruto, that's why I'm really hoping it isn't him. I would something so cryptic would turn out to be more of a twist. I'd rather the "King" turn out to be Ichiraku Ramen's secret ramen recipe than Naruto.

Stoopider
Sat, 12-16-2006, 08:41 PM
I don't think the 1st and 2nd were Hokage's simultaneously, we're they? I think 2 leaders at the same time would be a bad idea. Death doesn't have to be the only reason while a person would give up the throne. Probably some other reason could be part of the reason.

Meteros
Sat, 12-16-2006, 11:07 PM
there were indications of the third speaking to both the 1st and 2nd simultaneously when he was younger in the anime, but that doesn't mean they were hokage at the same time. just like when the fourth was hokage, i'm sure the third had retired, but had to be hokage again once the fourth died.

tehlegend
Sun, 12-17-2006, 01:56 AM
for everyone saying the king is naruto... please, see the sense in asuma telling shika this after the whole back story...

they only know naruto in passing, shikamaru probably doesnt have much of a clue that naruto contains the fox in him to begin with, and for sure theres the whole other more likely possibility of the king being your purpose in life. the king could represent your heart, or whatever you love most. it just fits much better.

he must've confessed his love for kurenai with that dying breath. remember when shikamaru told the 5th that asuma had wanted him to tell her? thats the only thing i can think of right now, everything else is just too unlikely.

Dark Dragon
Thu, 02-08-2007, 05:22 PM
everyone forgot that Hokage means the strongest ninja in the village? there can only be 1 strongest and i can easily see Tsunade fitting that role. The 3rd and 4th situation though could mean that the 4th had grown more powerful and the 3rd and gain the Hokage title but after he die the 3rd became the strongest again and regain the title.

lookitsdanman
Fri, 02-09-2007, 02:42 AM
kakashi will be the next hokage when the time comes and the king is obviously "those who are important to you". the entire anime series has been moving towards that one point--you can't be strong just fighting for yourself. when you fight to protect your important people, that is when you are truly strong. Thus the king represents all those who are important to you such as comrades, love interests, etc.

Yukimura
Fri, 02-09-2007, 03:08 AM
If Kakashi was Hokage I'd seriously worry for the leaf...he's tough and smart and a good fighter. But he seems more like acarrerr soldier than Hokage material. With Tsunade you know that she's a badass ninja, but that's not all she has going for her. She had a life and pursuits other than just performing missions, which would make the transition into the more manegerial role of Hokage easier than for someone who was always on the front lines and then all of a sudden decided to go into management. While it is feasablie a) Kaakshi probably isn't the strongest ninja currently in service (though I don't think we've met anyone stronger than him as of yet) and b) He doesn't seem to have the Hokage personality, he's a good team leader...sort of, but at heart he's still a follower of orders.

JaySee
Fri, 02-09-2007, 08:42 AM
Kakashi won't surpass the 5th and Naruto's getting really close to Kakashi. By the time the 5th gets to her 60's or 70's (I'm guessing she's 40-50 right now) Naruto will have surpassed Kakashi. A friend of mine came up with a good theory. Naruto will be Hokage and Shikamaru will be his General of sorts. Shikamaru would lead the military and Naruto's the poster boy who gets everyone pumped up. Shikamaru wouldn't want the hassle of being Hokage.

The Adjective
Sat, 02-10-2007, 02:34 PM
The show is called "Naruto", so of course everything is going revolve around the character with that name. He's the king piece.

Have you ever noticed that pretty much every character Naruto comes in contact with has some startling revelation about themselves? Look and Neji, Gaara and even the 5th Hokage herself. These people change for better after an encounter with Naruto. It doesn't matter how clumsy and goofy he is, everyone eventually respects and admires him in some way or another.

And we know that strength isn't likely an issue because he manages to defeat or at least compete with enemies that seem to outclass him. Kakashi has told him that he may be the only ninja to surpass the 4th, the strongest known ninja of their village.

He's the hope of the village. He's the "king" piece that must be protected. He'll be the next Hokage.

I mean really, the show doesn't have that much depth.

JaySee
Sun, 02-11-2007, 07:04 AM
Because of his strength, it's obvious he's not the "king" piece. Hokages don't need protection. They do the protecting. It's quite obvious the "king" piece is the people precious to you.

The Adjective
Sun, 02-11-2007, 12:34 PM
Because of his strength, it's obvious he's not the "king" piece. Hokages don't need protection. They do the protecting. It's quite obvious the "king" piece is the people precious to you.

If you're going to protect an entire villiage, I think you'd need to be pretty strong, no? I don't understand your argument. You're saying a Hokage doesn't need to be strong because he has to protect people. Good one.

And I don't see why they make such a big secret out of the whole "precious people" drivle. They've used that in the show a thousand times. Why would Asuma tell Shikamaru something like that in confidence?

"Hey, Shikamaru! The king piece is the people in your life who are important to you! You must defend them at all costs! But hey, keep this little gem to yourself, ok?"

I just can't see it.

jing
Sun, 02-11-2007, 12:35 PM

If the "king" piece is the people precious to you. Then how is Shikamaru the "knight" piece? Shikamaru could be precious to Naruto too.. maybe Shikamaru is the "king" aswell. Makes no sense. Therefore, I think the "king" piece is an actual figure, and thats Naruto. Even Kakashi admitted that he believes Naruto is the one that can surpass the fourth.

Winged Dancer
Sun, 02-11-2007, 11:01 PM
Jing has a point. If the king is "your precious person" then everyone is knight and king at the same time.

So yeah, the king must be an actual, tangible thing - either a person (most plausible thing) or a place. The Adjective, too, has a point - nobody would bother to keep such a thing secret.

I think that whetever the King piece is it has to do with what Asuma wanted to tell Kakashi but was never able to. Now, if we think of some other big-ass secret that hasn't been revealed, which comes to mind?

The only one I can think of is what Sasuke finds out about his clan after Itachi has murdered all. It might be a stretch, but they can be connected - after all, the Uchiha were said to be Konoha's "police force", which is in charge of protecting the village... just like a knight.

JaySee
Mon, 02-12-2007, 12:14 AM
First off, Adjective needs some reading comprehension courses. Because Naruto is strong, he's not the "King" piece. The King is the 2nd weakest piece in chess and stronger in shogi because the other pieces are weaker. If you want to follow this chess analogy, the Hokage would be QUEEN in western chess. I'm not sure what he/she'd be in shogi. Promoted rook or bishop perhaps? Promoted bishop aka Horse, more likely as it's seen as the strongest defensive piece.

It makes sense that Shikamaru is the knight because the knight moves unconventionally and can jump, but it's considerably weaker in shogi than western chess.

The Adjective
Mon, 02-12-2007, 12:21 AM
Keeping the chess analogy in mind, the King is probably the most useless piece on the board. It's up to every other piece, including the front-line pawns to protect the king at all costs, or the game is lost.

Having said that, Naruto (like the King piece) was a pretty useless ninja. He was a screw-up and a goof ball. However, it's been stated that the Fourth sealed the Demon Fox inside of Naruto with the intent of making him a hero of Konoha. The entire village has kept this from Naruto and the younger generations because they feared that he would be chastised and feared for it.

So, in a sense, the village is taking the role of the various chess pieces. They're protecting Naruto like the pieces on a chess board protect the King. Not because of what he is, but because of what he could become; a hero.

Asuma likely passed on this secret to Shikamaru.

Edit: Thanks for the lesson, Jay. But don't get "Hokage" and "King Piece" confused. Naruto's not Hokage yet, is he?

jing
Mon, 02-12-2007, 02:29 AM
First off, Adjective needs some reading comprehension courses. Because Naruto is strong, he's not the "King" piece. The King is the 2nd weakest piece in chess and stronger in shogi because the other pieces are weaker. If you want to follow this chess analogy, the Hokage would be QUEEN in western chess. I'm not sure what he/she'd be in shogi. Promoted rook or bishop perhaps? Promoted bishop aka Horse, more likely as it's seen as the strongest defensive piece.

It makes sense that Shikamaru is the knight because the knight moves unconventionally and can jump, but it's considerably weaker in shogi than western chess.

It was a rhetorical question when I asked how could Shikamaru become knight. I was trying to prove that if the king piece is "someone precious to protect", then anyone can be the king, included Shikamaru himself. Adjective is pretty logical with his opinion. Sorry JaySee, I just see you going in circles.

Augury
Mon, 02-12-2007, 02:46 AM
If a comparison is going to be made between how the pieces in "chess" function and what people represent in the story, the comparison should be to shogi, not western chess. Shogi is referred to as "japanese chess." The panels of Shikamaru and Asuma playing chess also show that they are playing Shogi, not western chess.

Shogi on Wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shogi)

The Adjective
Mon, 02-12-2007, 01:07 PM
The rules are similar enough that my argument still makes sense.

darkmetal505
Mon, 02-12-2007, 05:19 PM
@The Adjective

When did the Fourth want to make Naruto a hero? Why would he be chastised and feared for being a hero?

The Adjective
Mon, 02-12-2007, 07:03 PM
Wasn't it translated in the show or manga somewhere that the Fourth had sealed the demon inside Naruto with the intent of making him a hero? Surely he didn't do it to curse the boy.

And, I'm sorry if I didn't word it correctly, but I meant that he'd be feared and chastised for having a demon inside of him much like Gaara was.

Edit: From Wikipedia:

"The Fourth Hokage was celebrated as a hero for sealing the demon fox away. He wanted Naruto to be respected in a similar light by being the containment vessel for the demon fox.
A decree made by the Third Hokage made it so that the other villagers were forbidden to mention the event to anyone, even to their own children."

The Heretic Azazel
Tue, 02-13-2007, 12:22 AM
Wow I guess Wikipedia can replace pretty much any reliable source these days...I never knew research could be so easy

The Adjective
Tue, 02-13-2007, 01:13 AM
Enlightening input.

You completely disarmed my argument. Really. Nice work.

JaySee
Tue, 02-13-2007, 04:35 AM
ANYWAYS, the King in both games is a useless piece that must be protected. Naruto's not useless and doesn't need protection from Shikamaru. It makes no sense for Asuma to tell Shikamaru to protect Naruto when Naruto has 2 Jounin and a Sanin protecting him.

Hey! Shikamaru... You know that guy who can kick your butt? You need to go protect him.

Yeah... that makes A LOT OF SENSE.

Anyways, despite the wikipedia referrence... It has been told in the manga and anime that the fourth wanted people to think of Naruto as a hero for sealing the demon within him, but the stupid villagers only saw him as a demon and outcast him despite his wishes. The third made the rule not to tell the younger generations so they wouldn't do the same. So the jerk villagers just told their children to outcast him for no reason. I've always thought THIS was a much more compelling story to turn someone to evil than Sasuke's, but oh well...

jing
Tue, 02-13-2007, 09:53 AM
ANYWAYS, the King in both games is a useless piece that must be protected. Naruto's not useless and doesn't need protection from Shikamaru. It makes no sense for Asuma to tell Shikamaru to protect Naruto when Naruto has 2 Jounin and a Sanin protecting him.

Hey! Shikamaru... You know that guy who can kick your butt? You need to go protect him.

Yeah... that makes A LOT OF SENSE.

Anyways, despite the wikipedia referrence... It has been told in the manga and anime that the fourth wanted people to think of Naruto as a hero for sealing the demon within him, but the stupid villagers only saw him as a demon and outcast him despite his wishes. The third made the rule not to tell the younger generations so they wouldn't do the same. So the jerk villagers just told their children to outcast him for no reason. I've always thought THIS was a much more compelling story to turn someone to evil than Sasuke's, but oh well...

Naruto is usefull? Thats...a first.. really. 2 Jounins and a Sanin protecting him... wow, bring it on akatsuki! I never knew one trick pony Naruto can kick butt. If you think about it, hes got a nuke in his stomach that can fall in the wrong hands when Akatsuki gets him. Hes the useless king, but if he falls, so does Konoha.

JaySee
Tue, 02-13-2007, 12:09 PM
It's already been shown that Ero-Sennin and Kakashi can hold their own against the Akatsuki. And they only attack in pairs. Naruto beat Gaara when no one else could.

jing
Tue, 02-13-2007, 04:01 PM
It's already been shown that Ero-Sennin and Kakashi can hold their own against the Akatsuki. And they only attack in pairs. Naruto beat Gaara when no one else could.

Thats because the sand shield was down.

Dark Dragon
Tue, 02-13-2007, 06:40 PM
no one can beat gaara? how did you manage to come to that conclusion?
1. Lee got pass Gaara sand barrier
2. Sasuke was able to injure Gaara with the Chidori
3. Both Lee and Sasuke was Genin at the time so i'd imagine a Jounin would be able to take him down.

In Chest/Shogi the game is lost when the King is taken but as long as the King stay alive it is still possible to win the game.
Who is the only person you can think of that might cause the downfall of the village if he/she was to get capture?
The only person that i can think of is Naruto because if the Akatsuki is able to get Kyubi (the strongest demon, remember what he did to Jiraiya and Orochimaru with only 4 tail?) it would be near impossible to stop them, on the other hand if Naruto through some miracle manage to control his Kyubi power he would have a nearly limitless source of Chakra at his disposal that might enable him to stop the akatsuki and save the village.

The Adjective
Tue, 02-13-2007, 10:30 PM
Maybe it's Choji.

eternal_spring247
Wed, 02-14-2007, 05:22 AM
In the next manga chapter you will know who the king is. This is according a confirmed spoiler on mangahelpers. The answer is actually very logical. Go there for yourself or wait a few days. ;-)

JaySee
Thu, 02-15-2007, 03:49 PM
YEAY! This argument is finally over. The "king" are the weak and useless that need to be protected. The next generation of Konoha.

The Adjective
Thu, 02-15-2007, 06:18 PM
Yeah... well... you know what?

Naruto's a dumb show anyway. So there!

HyourinMaru-
Thu, 02-15-2007, 09:21 PM
well at least the king piece is now already known...