PDA

View Full Version : Blood+ on Cartoon Network

nests
Wed, 11-01-2006, 08:22 PM
Blood+ on Cartoon Network(2006-11-01 15:00:01)
Blood+, which is licensed in North American by Sony Pictures, is set to receive a TV broadcast on Cartoon Network. The broadcast date and schedule has not yet been announced.

Lucifus
Wed, 11-01-2006, 08:39 PM
Holy shits in the fan!

Nice. Just...hope to god the voice actors arent butchered.

Zinobi
Wed, 11-01-2006, 08:51 PM
Well if it ends up being on [adult swin] then the VAs should be fine.

mage
Wed, 11-01-2006, 09:46 PM
CN has nothing to do with the quality of the voice acting, they just air the show.

Zinobi
Wed, 11-01-2006, 09:52 PM
Well, you see, if it is aired on CN it will be aimed more toward kids (althought it is Blood+, this is just kind of unrelated) however if it is aired on [adult swim] then it will be aimed more at the teen/young adult level. Looking at Naruto and Bleach is a good example.

XanBcoo
Thu, 11-02-2006, 03:32 AM
Well, you see, if it is aired on CN it will be aimed more toward kids (althought it is Blood+, this is just kind of unrelated) however if it is aired on [adult swim] then it will be aimed more at the teen/young adult level. Looking at Naruto and Bleach is a good example.
What you're saying only depends on whether the dub was specifically created for TV or not.

Take Trigun, Cowboy Bebop, or FLCL for example. All of these already had an existing dub before there was even any talk about airing them on [AS]. The same goes for Evangelion (and probably a few others), yet it's dub is widely regarded as lower-quality than the others I mentioned. Dubbing quality usually has nothing to do with time-slot placement.

Shows on Toonami follow the same pattern. There have been good dubs and bad dubs regardless of age consideration. Whether or not you actually like DBZ, I'd argue that its FUNimation dub is vastly superior to the original Japanese dub, yet by its nature, it is a "kid's show" so it will never really be taken seriously (you should probably take this into account when judging any 'kid's show" dub, actually). On the other hand, Outlaw Star also had its dub (again, pretty well-accepted) even before Adult Swim existed. This made-for-tv dubbing seems to be only a recent trend.

You bring up a good point with Naruto and Bleach, because both of these have a made-for-tv dub. But Naruto was never really was a "mature", or "young-adult" anime...so it's hard to guess how much it could have changed if placed on Adult Swim instead of Toonami. They're both dubbed by VIZ, so you can't really argue that the voice acting would improve too much, since they'd be using the same people.

In any case, it looks like Blood+ will be a made-for-Adult Swim dub, and it's already got a few VAs listed (Crispin Freeman and Kari Wahlgren), both of whom have never "butchered" a single role I know of. So that's good news.

Yukimura
Thu, 11-02-2006, 08:19 AM
Crispin Freeman should tear it up doing David, but I'm not sure about Van Argeno though, I just hope he can make them sound different enough, especially since they eventually have to talk to each other. And here I was thinking no one could play a decent pseudo-angsty female charachter and I'd forgotten all about Kari Wahlgren (Who really should stop changing her name) and he rwork on Whitch Hunter Robin and Scrapped Princess. As long as she doesn't bring out the Fuu tones she could make a good Saya.

I'd expect this to start around summer time, probably Trinity Blood after it's finished running its course (assuming there won't be a break in TB)