PDA

View Full Version : Dia De Los Muertos

python862
Wed, 11-01-2006, 10:25 AM
hello, all. I actually bring non-crazyness (don't erase this PLZ...)

Today and tomorrow, November 1 and 2, the spaniards/hispanics are celebrating El Dia De Los Muertos, or Day of the Dead. (not a George A. Romero film) Just thought I'd bring that up for discussion.

IFHTT
Wed, 11-01-2006, 11:27 AM
About the only way I can relate to this holiday is the memories of all the awesome mexican food we got to eat in my high school spanish classes.

I imagine this holiday is nice for any homeless folk near the celebration, what with leaving good food and stuff out to guide the dead back home and all. Seems like it'd just draw drifters to feast on your front porch.

RyougaZell
Wed, 11-01-2006, 12:32 PM
LOL.

Im Mexican and I surely don't celebrate this "tradition".

People from the center of Mexico celebrate it a lot, but us from the north of the country tend to ignore the holiday.

Although we do eat the ocasional "Pan de Muerto"

python862
Wed, 11-01-2006, 06:34 PM
ah, so I see. Keep teh replies coimin' pepel...it might just be the only time I'm sane!!!

EDIT: Oh, and btw, RyougaZell, I didn't actually include mexicans, but thank's for reminding me...

VIVA LOS MUERTOS!!

Lucifus
Wed, 11-01-2006, 06:40 PM
Wow....Richard actually sane..

AnywayZ, now that you brought this up, I'm craving real Mexican food, not the cheap crap you find in crappy restaurants. I have no idea where I can get some. :(

The only thing I know about this tradition is from what Lucha Lebre(That cartoon network thingy about kids and a wrestling school) taught me.

iLoveHotCoCo
Wed, 11-01-2006, 07:07 PM
A funny yet sad conversation I had with someone (lets call him Bob) from my chem class..
<Bob> Happy Dia De Los Muertos!!
<Me> Umm.. Okay.. Thanks.. But I'm not Mexican..
<Bob> Your not?! Thought you were..
<Me> Nope Im Chinese, Puerto Rican, and Filipino
<Bob> Mexican.. Puerto Rican.. Same thing..
<Me> Remind me to buy you an Atlas..
Feliz dia de Los Muertos! << woo hoo for 6 years of spanish class =)

RyougaZell
Wed, 11-01-2006, 08:04 PM
Wow....Richard actually sane..

AnywayZ, now that you brought this up, I'm craving real Mexican food, not the cheap crap you find in crappy restaurants. I have no idea where I can get some. :(

The only thing I know about this tradition is from what Lucha Lebre(That cartoon network thingy about kids and a wrestling school) taught me.

Please disregard whatever you've learned from that sh...ow.

:(

nests
Wed, 11-01-2006, 08:11 PM
Man I was just talking about this yesturday. I really miss Pan de Muerto :(

Winged Dancer
Thu, 11-02-2006, 06:15 PM
....so you make a thread about the Dia de Muertos (no "los" needed) and you don't include Mexicans? Even though that celebration was originally created here, in Mexico, and not in Spain or any other Latin-American country?

...well, or at least that's what I was taught at grade school. Maybe the textbooks were wrong and the Spaniards are the real creators of the holiday.

...hahahahah, yeah, right.

Anyway, yeah, as RyougaZell said, we don't really celebrate D&#237;a de Muertos that much. Here at home we used to put an altar for my great-grandparents and grandpa but we haven't for the last few years... we don't even visit the cementary anymore (but that's because we're all heathens). Funny how D&#237;a de Muertos is gaining popularity in other countries while it's being forgotten here.

But man do I eat Pan de Muerto. A lot. Pan de Muerto rocks the world, the best mexican pan, no doubt. Pan de Muerto and chocolate or atole are my daily breakfast for at least three weeks during these days and I love it.

Lucifus
Thu, 11-02-2006, 06:53 PM
Christ I want some..... I skipped my 4th period today and went to my friends spanish class under the guise of being a shadow(Middle schooler checking out high school for a day) And had some of the best Mexican food ever! Dont know what its called but I want some more. :(

Winged Dancer, fedex me some of that stuff. :rolleyes:

ChaosK
Thu, 11-02-2006, 07:56 PM
Winged Dancer, fedex me some of that stuff. :rolleyes:

I don't believe the GW bakery has Mexican food.

RyougaZell
Thu, 11-02-2006, 11:56 PM
A coworker took 5 Pan de Muerto to the office yesterday.
Obviously we ate a lot and forgot to work for about an hour :D

Winged Dancer
Fri, 11-03-2006, 09:35 AM
LOL; GW Bakery!

Sad thing is, I can't cook mexican food to save my life... I should learn, if only to feed myself.

Hey, now that I think of it, I have the recipe for Pan de Puerto somewhere. Lemme search for it and I'll post it here.

@Ryouga - You didn't get the puente? Man, that sucks. Me, I got an entire week... monday and tuesday school was taken by the idiots from the APPO, wednesday and thursday were feriados and friday I have no classes.

RyougaZell
Fri, 11-03-2006, 05:21 PM
Nop.
I had to work yesterday and today as well.

Yet I've been wasting time "haciendo pen...sativo" hehehe.

2 and a half more hours for weekend...

Sapphire
Fri, 11-03-2006, 06:02 PM
Happy Dia de Muerto! (I'm late)... we had a party for this in Spanish today... we watched Wallace and Gromit. :D

python862
Wed, 11-08-2006, 08:27 AM
taht's...nice...in't it?