PDA

View Full Version : Fav Horror Films

Boomstick
Tue, 10-31-2006, 07:43 PM
Ah Halloween the time of pumpkin lobotomies, dressing up like freaks, sugar highs and of course HORROR MOVIES. Being a horror film fanatic I like any type of horror film and I’m interested in what horrors films other people enjoy I’ll start off by listing my fav 5 films.

1.Evil Dead (1981) – okay you all probably knew I was gonna say this, but seriously this is one of the great horror films.
2.Texas ChainSaw massacre (1974) – Yes like the original one better then the 2003 remake.
3.Saw (2004) – First new horror movie in along time that I truly enjoyed watching loved the twisted plot.
4.The Shining (1980) – In my opinion the best Stephan King book to film movie (Carrie being a close second).
5.The Thing (1982) – I first saw this in the middle of winter when I was thirteen and it scared the crap out of me.

Bucket
Tue, 10-31-2006, 08:06 PM
Cube, Poltergeist, The Eye, Gremlins, Event Horizon.

UChessmaster
Tue, 10-31-2006, 08:31 PM
the original child`s play trilogy (yes, even the 3rd)

Stoopider
Tue, 10-31-2006, 08:32 PM
I've never really been a great horror fan. I don't find it fun getting shocked all the time. But I do enjoy a great horror movie with a reasonably solid and fun story line.

iT, Resident Evil

Turkish-S
Tue, 10-31-2006, 09:26 PM
I've never really been a great horror fan. I don't find it fun getting shocked all the time. But I do enjoy a great horror movie with a reasonably solid and fun story line.

Same here.

I saw Texas ChainSaw massacre (new one) on halloween..I liked it.

But my all time favorite has to be IT. I saw it when i was like 8...
Couldn't sleep for a week:eek:

Assertn
Tue, 10-31-2006, 10:50 PM
IT kinda made me hate showers, Candyman kinda made me hate mirrors, the Ring kinda made me hate having a tv in my room....

masamuneehs
Wed, 11-01-2006, 08:53 AM
Best horror film ever? I'd say that's between The Shining and the classic Exorcist. Both of those (along with Hitchcock's Psycho) completely changed that movie genre.

Honorable mention goes to Rosemary's Baby, another classic.

Does Aliens count? Cuz it would certainly be my favorite if it does. I really can't stand horror movies, with their cliches and brainless characters and impossibly stupid situations. The modern horror film is the worst, relying on improved makeup and special effects to scare people with more gore while failing to improve on the time honored "spooky music" "startles" and other cores of the genre.

Candyman scared the freaking shit out of me when I was a little kid. It made me afraid of the dark again... But other than that, all semi-recent horror films have failed to impress me.

iLoveHotCoCo
Wed, 11-01-2006, 07:16 PM
I have to agree with Masa, and good horror film list must include The Exorcist and almost any Hitchcock movie (personally I like The Birds the best). Some other good ones are Carrie and Polterguist.
Horror movies from back in the day > Horror movies now (with exception to the Saw movies, I love Saw)

Board of Command
Wed, 11-01-2006, 07:26 PM
Saw
The Ring (one of the few movies ever to actually scare me)

darkmetal505
Wed, 11-01-2006, 10:17 PM
DEAD ALIVE, more for the gore than anything else.

It is hard to choose among the more recent ones.

el_boss
Thu, 11-02-2006, 05:15 AM
I'm not a huge horror movie fan, I'm more into the mindfuck/thriller/suspense/atmospheric/wtf is going on?!" kind of movies.

These are some of my favourite "scary" movies.

Jacob's Ladder, 28 Days Later, The Silence of the Lambs, The Shining, Se7en, Psycho and other Hitchcock movies, Ringu, The Ninth Gate, Event Horizon, Saw, Cube, The Descent, Irreversible, Perfect Blue (anime)

Honorable mention: Alien gave me nightmares for like 2 years when I saw back when I was 8. I even took the legs off my bed so that the aliens couldn't hide under it... hmmm I still haven't seen all of it.

samsonlonghair
Thu, 11-02-2006, 06:49 AM
I'm sorry to say that the Saw movies just don't do it for me. I wasn't impressed.

I absolutely love The Shining, Silence of the Lambs, Psycho, Se7en, Event Horizon, and M. Those types of psychological movies are great. If you like those movies but you've never seen or heard of "M" (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0022100/) you need to watch it. It's the original thriller.

I had a conversation a long time ago that Ridley Scott's Alien is more a monster movie than a scifi movie. I still think that's true. Aside from being set in space, it's a Monster Movie. There's a group of humans fighting to survive after one of them is transformed into a monster.

That reminds me, if you haven't seen Lon Chanley Jr. as The Wolf Man (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0034398/), do so.

Psyke
Thu, 11-02-2006, 08:48 AM
Definately The Ring. Of course, it's the Japanese original starring Matsushima Nanako, and not the Hollywood version which I though paled in comparision to the classic.