PDA

View Full Version : Firefox 2.0

xDarkMaster
Tue, 10-24-2006, 06:12 PM
It's here!

Go get it! (http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/)

Some of the new features. (http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/features.html#experience)

complich8
Tue, 10-24-2006, 07:05 PM
I'm hoping inline spellchecking improves the basic level of conversation on the forums ;).

I've been using ff2 since beta2, and found it quite nice to work with. I've already installed it on all of the machines I support at work (except for the gentoo ones, where it's not hit portage yet).

fahoumh
Tue, 10-24-2006, 07:13 PM
The improved tabbing feature is kind of a moot point since I don't really make use of tabs....I think I'm the only Firefox user who doesn't really make use of tabs.

But this:

"Session Restore

Losing your place while you’re doing things on the Web is a pain. Now, with Session Restore, if Firefox has to restart or closes when it comes back you’ll pick up exactly where you left off. The windows and tabs you were using, the text you typed into forms, and the in-progress downloads you had running will all be restored. You can even set Firefox 2 to always restore your previous session instead of loading a home page, so you’ll never lose your place again."

That is an awesome feature. Especially when Acrobat TRIES to load and just ends up locking Firefox.

EDIT: how rude of me....Thanks for the link!

Ryllharu
Tue, 10-24-2006, 07:33 PM
I love the spellchecker, it's already helped me here in the forums. The rest of the new features, I kinda already had through extensions. It incorporated a lot of the most popular extension features. The search suggestions are kinda nice too.

Just waiting for Tab Mix Plus to be 2.0 compatible, since I like their tabs management better. Other than that, I'm pretty happy with it.

My only real complaint is that the "Go" menu was replaced with the more accurate "History" one. Superficial, I know.

Heh. Just found the Closed Tabs List. Now I've got nothing to worry about until Tab Mix Plus comes out.

gr3atfull
Tue, 10-24-2006, 08:04 PM
The tabs x's will definitely help. And wow, spell check is great, now I have no excuse to write incorrectly.

Firefox is #1 !

ChaosK
Tue, 10-24-2006, 08:07 PM
What exactly is new about the tabs again? I just got it and so far it's just been the spell check that's a major change. There were tags in the original right? So far all I've seen as a change is that the "x" to exit a tabbed window is now on the tab and not at the top right.

masamuneehs
Tue, 10-24-2006, 08:18 PM
it's pretty darn good. The "Session Restore" function is pretty good, and the spellchecker will help many people, but I prefer not to rely on that too much...

I think I'll play around with the new Firefox from time to time, but for now I'm sticking with Opera. Good tabbing system, Session Restore AND Session Saving, and its Mouse Shortcuts totally make the Back and standard interface buttons a thing of the past.

edit - and for chaos' question

Improved tabbed browsing: By default, Firefox will open links in new tabs instead of new windows, and each tab will now have a close tab button. Power users who open more tabs than can fit in a single window will see arrows on the left and right side of the tab strip that let them scroll back and forth between their tabs. The History menu will keep a list of recently closed tabs, and a shortcut lets users quickly re-open an accidentally closed tab.

Stoopider
Tue, 10-24-2006, 09:06 PM
I"m running on a Intel Celeron 1.4ghz lappie with 256DDR ram. Do you think my lappie would run well on it?

I struggle hellalot on the latest IE. Hence I'm still using the old firefox.

kAi
Tue, 10-24-2006, 09:21 PM
Just updated to 2.0, and it's nice that all my extensions still work.

Yukimura
Tue, 10-24-2006, 10:57 PM
Nice, they made the Session Manager plug in into a standard. Guess that makes me a trend setter since I've been using it for a few months already. I don't like the tab scroll bar so much though, I hope I can disable that somehow.

EDIT: Upon install I am pleased that most of my extensions that no longer work were the ones that were integrated into the new incarnation (Session Manager, spell check, and SearchPluginHacks). Reducing the size of the buttons is also a plus since I can cram even more on!

Zati
Wed, 10-25-2006, 01:29 AM
Just got it and its great improvement from last version. Glad my extensions still work and Session Restore is really nice.

Yukimura
Wed, 10-25-2006, 01:47 AM
Session Restore is okay, but the Session Manager plugin operates much better than the new embedded features. Fourtunately I was able to 'hack' the old plugin to work with FF2 though the author has said he will no longer work on the plugin, and never released a 2.0 update.

complich8
Wed, 10-25-2006, 02:07 AM
as for the close buttons Chaoskiddo commented on, I personally hate that model because of my browsing pattern. I tend to do breadth-first-search traversals of sites (forums and whatnot), or open large numbers of tabs at once, and then read the site node and close the tab. With per-tab close buttons, that ends up being a hunt for precisely which tab I've got open, in order to close it. In fact, that's the main reason I never really took to Opera.

But that's ok. About:config lets you change that behavior. browser.tabs.closebuttons = 3 sends it to the old way that I'm used to... good times.

el_boss
Wed, 10-25-2006, 05:56 AM
Got it, but I feel crippled without Tab Mix Plus. It's fucking annoying that I can't just double-click a tab to close it.

Kraco
Wed, 10-25-2006, 06:10 AM
Got it, and nothing to complain about. Fortunately it's not hugely different compared to the old one. I might end up following Complich's advice, though, and disabling the per tab close buttons. Time will tell.

I never used any plug-ins in the old version, so that was no issue for me when updating to 2.0.

Board of Command
Wed, 10-25-2006, 09:24 AM
There's virtually no difference between 2.0 and 1.5 because everything 2.0 brings to the table, 1.5 supported with extensions. Some of you mentioned "session restore." I believe that was one of the features of the Tab Mix Plus extension. The X on the individual tabs were also part of Tab Mix Plus.

Some miscellaneous extensions like Disable Download Targets aren't compatible with 2.0, but in this specific case it seems like 2.0 itself has that feature built in, minus the customizeability.

I'm not bashing on 2.0, I'm just saying it's not as big of a change as I had expected. I just went from IE6 to IE7 and that was one hell of an overhaul.

XanBcoo
Thu, 10-26-2006, 05:18 PM
Does anyone know how to change the scroll line amount in Firefox?

I just switched over, and since I use my laptop mostly, I'm accustomed to using the arrow keys to scroll up and down. Firefox scrolls really slowly though, I'm assuming the line amount is set to about 1, whereas I had it on a higher number in IE. How do I change this setting?

complich8
Thu, 10-26-2006, 05:24 PM
you might be looking for the scrolling settings under preferences->advanced->general->browsing. I've found that using smooth scrolling often causes major slowdown (and generally annoys the shit outta me). Smooth scrolling overrides windows scroll settings, and is generally unfriendly.

If turning smooth scrolling off doesn't help, go to about:config and search for "scroll" and you might find something to tweak there (but a lot of those are for horizontal scroll, so maybe not).

XanBcoo
Thu, 10-26-2006, 05:49 PM
you might be looking for the scrolling settings under preferences->advanced->general->browsing. I've found that using smooth scrolling often causes major slowdown (and generally annoys the shit outta me). Smooth scrolling overrides windows scroll settings, and is generally unfriendly.

If turning smooth scrolling off doesn't help, go to about:config and search for "scroll" and you might find something to tweak there (but a lot of those are for horizontal scroll, so maybe not).
Smooth scrolling makes me feel nauseous (heh, I only spelled that correctly with the spell checker). I can't stand it either.

I tried messing with the mousewheel:withnokey options, and a few others, but no matter what I changed it to, there was no visible difference in my scrolling. None of them seemed to have any effect.

ChaosK
Thu, 10-26-2006, 06:15 PM
Smooth scrolling makes me feel nauseous (heh, I only spelled that correctly with the spell checker). I can't stand it either.

What exactly does smooth scrolling do? I just enabled it and didn't see a notable difference so I unchecked it.

Board of Command
Thu, 10-26-2006, 08:15 PM
Without smooth scrolling, the screen simply changes to the "destination" immediately upon pressing the arrow key or moving the mouse wheel. The page doesn't actually "move."

With smooth scrolling, the page "moves" to the destination, thus a smoother transition. However, it dramatically slows down scrolling speed and most people don't like it.

samsonlonghair
Sat, 10-28-2006, 09:28 AM
I'm loving the new FF 2.0. A lot of people here are saying that they've just incorporated things that were extentions, but if there's less need for extentions there'll (generally) be fewer slow downs.

Go Mozilla! Now how about a new version of Seamonkey?

dragonrage
Sat, 10-28-2006, 01:14 PM
all i gotta say is that i love the spell check feature. Thank you god. :)

woofcat
Sun, 10-29-2006, 11:38 AM
Hmm, i like firefox 2 but it didn't run to great before i updated my ram (Yesterday) I find it's more ram demanding. Its sleak and i love it but i would install their older releases on older machines.

Knives122
Tue, 10-31-2006, 07:38 PM
Hmmm, finally decided to dl this and I'm liking it. One of the things I'm not liking is the disapperance of the "click the download and it'll open with the program it goes to" thing.

It just saves it now.

samsonlonghair
Wed, 12-20-2006, 03:16 AM
Here's a good reson for a bumb:

Firefox 2.0.0.1 has been released!
Your first reaction might be something like, "Wow, it's 0.0.1 better!" but this actually is a great improvement under the hood. It runs exactly like Firefox 2 but uses dramatically less RAM.

Find it here (http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=494984) via Mozillazine.