PDA

View Full Version : It's Finally Done!!! Super Brawny Wacky Beast: the pilot episode!!!

LobsterMagnet
Mon, 10-23-2006, 06:09 PM
It's been a long journey but the pilot is finally done. Looks like shit but still I'm happy to see it up on YouTube. Hope you guys enjoy. Watch it with a grain of salt. There's alot of room for improvement, but it'll get better as we produce more episodes. I'm just happy that this idea has finally turned into a reality. I'm looking forward to reading your feedback.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kAgTilH3xo

Lucifus
Mon, 10-23-2006, 06:12 PM
First to see it and well..... lemme watch it again.:D

Edit: RoFl! xD So messed up. Nice job man. The ending was the best. The hilter part owned too. Nice

Genma
Mon, 10-23-2006, 06:52 PM
I'm sorry, but I found that to be awful and more annoying than funny.

Not that I could do any better, though.

Ryllharu
Mon, 10-23-2006, 06:55 PM
The drawings are pretty good, but the audio was very quiet. It was pretty hard to hear anything without blasting the speakers.

That's as far as I can comment, since I really had no clue what was going on at all.

LobsterMagnet
Mon, 10-23-2006, 07:02 PM
Yeah the audio is something that's going to need improvement for future episodes. As for any discernable meaning. Think of it like robot chicken. It's an anything goes sketch comedy series.

Next episode should see some considerable improvements on the audio front though. But basically each skit is it's own independent entity. Really the best thing I can compare the format to is robot chicken, if you've never seen it I'll post a link later so you'll have a better idea of what I'm talking about.

As for the opening theme song, it's sort one of those so bad it's good kinda vides, like snakes on a plane, but trust me any feedback you have is greatly apprechiated, so it can go into making better episodes in the future.

Terracosmo
Mon, 10-23-2006, 09:01 PM
For the love of NEJI add subtitles. It's beyond me how people creating vids like this where they talk uncontrollably, mumble even, expect people to understand what's going on.

Other than that, I'm sorry but I'll have to agree with Genma. I found it boring... and annoying, since I didn't understand anything.

LobsterMagnet
Mon, 10-23-2006, 09:16 PM
Point well taken, first thing to be addressed in the next episode will most definately be the audio.

For the time being best thing I can recommend is playing it with your speakers at full blast. I do promise though that in future episodes the audio will be improved. Can't run before you can walk and at this stage of the game I've just finished learning how to crawl.

Lucifus
Mon, 10-23-2006, 09:29 PM
Its obviously not the best thing in the world. But coming from a Junior in high school, it fing hilarious. But throughout the entire ep, it was mostly boring and dry. The ending owned, and some parts of the hilter story was pretty funny.

Ya gotta work on the audio, and I think subtitles would be an excellent addition.:rolleyes:

XanBcoo
Mon, 10-23-2006, 10:37 PM
Next episode should see some considerable improvements on the audio front though.
Well, I hope that you'll also fix this episode's audio as well. It's really crappy at the moment. You're not gonna get people watching it if no one likes the first one.

As for the opening theme song, it's sort one of those so bad it's good kinda vides, like snakes on a plane, but trust me any feedback you have is greatly apprechiated, so it can go into making better episodes in the future.
The theme song isn't so good it's bad. It's just bad. Even some background music would help. As it is, it just sounds half-assed.

Also, at least during the Hitler sketch, there's far too many long pauses on one drawing for that ammount of dialogue. I felt like I was watching a documentary in High School. Boring boring boring.

Point well taken, first thing to be addressed in the next episode will most definately be the audio.
Again, fix THIS episode's audio before you start any others.

LobsterMagnet
Mon, 10-23-2006, 10:49 PM
It's kinda sad to admit this but, I'm in college. Sigh, I guess that's what happens when you try and make something without any animation and very little knowledge of editing software. I'm literally learning this as I go. All I can really do is promise that the next episode will be better.

There are two crucial components for this to work. The audio and the visial. If either one is out of flux then the whole thing falls apart. That's why I'm going to really try to learn how to produce better audio for the next episode. I ask you not to so much to judge it by it's audio/visual asthetics but rather the content that lies at the core.

What I'm curious to hear back from you guys, were you confused with how the skits were presented. I've stated before that the style template that I'm using for is Robot Chicken. If you've never heard of or seen robot chicken here's a random sample episode.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYzsYQW_j-M

What makes robot chicken more digestiable in terms of it's randomness then Super Brawny Wacky Beast in it's current form? This isn't something that I intend to give up on. Surprisingly for creating something so shitty has taken a great deal of time and effort. It's very easy to say that something sucks, it's another to pinpoint why it sucks.

From what I'm hearing it sounds like the audio is the biggest things that's bringing it down. I guess no matter how much I try to apologize for it until I can post the next episode there's not a whole lot that can be said in defense.

My whole reason for making this is that right now were living in a digital renaissance. The internet has broken down the traditional barriers and now people more so then ever before are going out and self-publishing their own material. Personally I'm sick of just standing around idly being nothing moe then a consumer. I want to create, I want to make some sort of contribution. Seeing the success of other media on youtube, some really stupid stuff like the ever so infamous lonelygirl15 videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcTtD50GcxY

And this bald guy with glasses who overnight has become an internet celebrity simply by posting video blogs of himself talking into a camera.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Sm1XLivzXg

All I want to do is create, something, anything, using what little tools I have. I apprechiate all feedback both postive and negative, I just thought I'd try and explain as to why I'm even doing this in the first place. I'm just sick of seeing so much shit when I think I can do better, even if I stumble a little bit and trip along the way.

XanBcoo
Mon, 10-23-2006, 11:14 PM
There are two crucial components for this to work. The audio and the visial. If either one is out of flux then the whole thing falls apart. That's why I'm going to really try to learn how to produce better audio for the next episode. I ask you not to so much to judge it by it's audio/visual asthetics but rather the content that lies at the core.

What I'm curious to hear back from you guys, were you confused with how the skits were presented. I've stated before that the style template that I'm using for is Robot Chicken.
Like I said, the static sketches are the biggest liability. I know you guys aren't animation students or anything, but it really does get boring watching one pencil-drawn sketch for more than even 15 seconds, while the voiceover drones on indefinitely (unless that's the effect you're going for; ie. "so boring it's funny") until you hit the punchline after what seems like a lifetime. It's boring to watch. Robot Chicken is funny because it's one quick, mindless sketch after another. There's no variation to your drawings at all. We're forced to stare at the same one, while the barely-audible voiceover shouts something incomprehensible. Like I said, it feels static, which is obviously not what you're going for.

And again, I think the intro song sucks and is obnoxious as hell. It sounds like you guys spent 6 minutes making it. If you want something to look like you spent time and effort on it, you have to make it seem like it's not just slapped together.

Edit: Just to clarify, I think the Hitler sketch is really clever. I laughed when I saw it in the fanart section, but found it boring in "video" format (for the reasons stated above).

samsonlonghair
Sat, 10-28-2006, 10:08 AM
Wow, that's quiet. Even with my volume cranked all the way up it was a whisper. Can I suggest a solution?

Adobe just released a new audio-editing program in beta called soundbooth (http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/soundbooth/). It's based on Cool Edit Pro, and it's free until it gets out of beta. The learning curve is far from steep. Evem though I wouldn't use this for my day-to-day editing, it's so easy to use that someone who has never edited audio can use it with ease.

By the way, you're responding well to harsh criticism. That's a comendable (and necessary) quality in any broadcast industry.