PDA

View Full Version : Can't play FF7: Last Order audio

Snipes
Tue, 10-17-2006, 05:43 PM
Hi people. The answer to my problem is probably somewhere in these forums, but I can't seem to find it, so I thought I'd make a thread.

As the title says, when I play [AonE]_Final_Fantasy_VII_Last_Order_[XviD_AC3][091A5ED8], at the bottom of the screen when loading the video, it says "Error downloading codec". The video plays fine, but there's no audio. So I used GSpot to find out what's wrong (I'd use screenshots but even 284x143 bmp is 100 kb so I can't upload it), and it says the following:
--------------------------------------------------
Name - ac3 (0x2000) Dolby Laboratories, Inc
Stat - Codec is Installed
Bitrate - 448 kb/s (224/ch, stereo) CBR
Fs - 48000 Hz

Under Stat, it says:

Audio Format:
Code: 0x2000
Name: WAVE_FORMAT_AC3
Vendor: Dolby Laboratories, Inc
The following codec should be capable of processing this format:
ffdshow Audio Decoder
DirectShow was also able to find a codec to render it - the sound for this media clip should work fine.
---------------------------------------------------
But under DirectShow Render, it says:
---------------------------------------------------
Video Src Type - 4cc: XVID
Audio Src -
Video Path - (S) --> AVI Splitter --> DivX Decoder Filter --> (R)
Audio Path -
Status - Render: Partial Failure.

Under Status it says:

DirectShow partially succeeded to play file. The actual text of the error or warning is:
0x00040242: VFW_S_PARTIAL_RENDER - Some of the streams in this movie are in an unsupported format.
The following combination of filters were used:
C:\Documents and Setti..-..iD_AC3][091A5ED8].avi (Video Source)
AVI Splitter (Video Splitter)
DivX Decoder Filter (Video Decorder)
Video Renderer (Video Renderer)
----------------------------------------------------
So it's saying that the audio should be ok, but the render doesn't finish (don't know what that means). Can anyone help me with my problem? Thanks.

complich8
Tue, 10-17-2006, 06:18 PM
short answer: download ac3filter, install ac3filter, problem probably solved.

Longer answer: if you don't want to use ac3filter, ffdshow indeed supports ac3 playback. However, you might need to go in and tweak the audio decoder settings. If you're using CCCP (which I'd recommend for most people to begin with), you shouldn't be having problems at all anyway, but you might want to reset codec settings. If you're using some other codec pack, or individually managing codecs and playback filters, I'd strongly urge you to ditch that route and go CCCP unless you've got good reason not to. It'd make everyone's life easier, including your own.

Snipes
Tue, 10-17-2006, 08:52 PM
Well actually, I installed the CCCP pack a while back, but even with it, some of the videos I played still didn't work, which is why I use what I have now, but I'll give it a try again.

EDIT: Nvm, I changed the ffdshow audio decoder settings AC3 from disabled to liba52, and the audio works now. Thanks complich8.

If anyone has an opinion to say about ffdshow (such as saying that it doesn't work properly sometimes or w/e), then by all means, post here. Otherwise, thread closed.

Munsu
Tue, 10-17-2006, 09:08 PM
Unistall every codec you have and install the latest CCCP, don't see a reason for it not to work.