PDA

View Full Version : Salient anime quotations

wowza161
Wed, 10-11-2006, 02:16 AM
I'm sure everybody has heard or read a particularly memorable line in an anime that has struck a chord with them in some manner; I know that there are plenty of such lines for me! I was just wondering, what are some of your favorite anime quotations?

Here are some of my favorites for starters:

"I'm not going there to die. I'm going there to see whether I'm truly alive."
-Spike from Cowboy Bebop

"In this world, there is nothing to believe in."
-Vicious from Cowboy Bebop

"Be wary of humans before you search for wolves."
-Quent Yaiden from Wolf's Rain

"So that's how it is! The secret of the universe is so simple~"
-Jet Black from Cowboy Bebop
(petting a bonsai tree while high on mushrooms)

Yeah, a lot of em are from Cowboy Bebop, but what can I say? It's a damn good show!

bagandscalpel
Wed, 10-11-2006, 02:34 AM
"Boy, what is your name?"

"Shinta."

"Much too soft a name for a swordsman; from this day forward, your name will be 'Kenshin.'"

"Kenshin..."

~dialogue, Ruroken: Trust

Zati
Wed, 10-11-2006, 03:19 AM
These are my favourite quotes and there is a whole lot more that I don't remember like from One Piece, Gungrave, Bebop, Kenshin , Evangelion and others.

"And what's the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge". - Spike (Cowboy Bebop)

"We quickly forget the lessons we learn, and then have to learn them all over again." - Jet (Cowboy Bebop)

"The most dangerous man in the world is a man who believes he's a hero".
Spike (Cowboy Bebop)

"A man can't just live on carbohydrates alone..." - Spike (Cowboy Bebop)

"Great, another wanna be preacher with a gun"
- Jet (Cowboy Bebop)

"Bansai, bathtoy, wise guy, waterboy, lights shine bright in the o-town tonight" - Ed (Cowboy Bebop)

"Panties, Panties, Panties" - Chii (Chobits)

"You're thinking in Japanese! If you must think, do it in German!"- Asuka Langley (Neon Genesis Evangelion)

"Survivability takes priority." - Misato (Evangelion)

"Man fears the darkness, and so he scrapes away at the edges of it with fire." - Rei (Evangelion)

"Don't talk, it makes you sound stupid". - Yusuke (Yu Yu Hakusho)

"So tell me, what's it like living in a constant haze of stupidity?"- Hiei (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Hey, "Thou Shalt Not Kill", remember? What kind of church man are you? - Vash the Stampede (Trigun)

Love & Peace - Vash the Stampede (Trigun)

"I am known as Valentinez Alkalinella Xifax Sicidabohertz... Gombigobilla Blue Stradivari Talentrent Pierre Andri Charton-Haymoss Ivanovici Baldeus George Doitzel Kaiser III. Don't hesitate to call". - Vash the Stampede (Trigun)

"... if you let the fly live, the spider is going to die. You can't save both without one suffering.." - Knives (Trigun)

"Because the ticket to the future, is always blank." - Vash the Stampede (Trigun)

"Where were you when they were handing out the brains?" - Washu (Tenchi I think?)

"I'm not afraid of rabbits, I just kick 'em"- Luffy (One Piece)

"I'm not just any pervert...I'm a super pervert" - Jiraiya (Naruto)

"You have nothing to fear, because your penis is heavyweight class! Trust me, the bigger one wins!" - Takamura Mamoru (Hajime no Ippo)

"Ohhhh how i wish my hand were my penis"
- Oe Kintaro (Golden Boy)

XanBcoo
Wed, 10-11-2006, 03:33 AM
Both Bebop and Kenshin are instantly quotable:
My favorite Bebop ones are: "Hunger is the best spice" and something along the lines of "Bell Peppers and Beef without the beef is Bell Peppers and Beef when you're broke".

And basically any one of Kenshin's speeches throughout the RuroKen anime is pretty memorable.

One quote that had a particular impact on me was from the ending to Voices of a Distant Star:

"...maybe...thoughts can overcome time, and space...If for even one instant something like that could happen what would I think?"
"say, there is probably one thing we would think..."
"I...am here"

It sounds pretty strange out of context, I know. It's basically referring to the 2 characters' realizations that they and their love are both alive, despite being separated. According to the director it also refers to the affirmation of a young person's existence and place in a world filled with problems. The very realization and acceptance of your place in all the problems/doubts/etc. of the world is somewhat of a comforting thought.

Yukimura
Wed, 10-11-2006, 07:45 AM
"Feelings of love are just a temporary lapse in judgement. Like a kind of mental illness." --Suzumiya Haruhi

It may be bitter, but having this spelled out to me has stuck for quite some time.

"My name is Kakashi Hatake. I'm the type of person who doesn't like talking about his likes or dislikes. My dreams are of none of your business. But anyway, I have lots of hobbies…" - Naruto

"Screw the rules I have money!" -- Yugioh: The Abridged Series

Goku: I am the hope of the universe. I am the answer to all living things that cry out for peace. I am the protector of the innocent. I am the light in the darkness. I am truth. ALLY TO GOOD! NIGHTMARE TO YOU!]

EDIT @ Below:
The Dragon Slave Incantation:
Darkness Beyond Twilight;
Crimson Beyond Blood that Flows;
Buried in the flow of time;
In thy great name I pledge my self to darkness,
All the fools who stand in our way shall be destroyed,
By the power you and I possess. Dragon Slave

My favorite Slayers spell
Lord of the Darkness and Four Worlds, I beseech thy fragments;
by all of the power thou possesseth, grant the heavens' wrath to my hand;
unleash the sword of dark, freezing nothingness;
by our power, our combined might,
let us walk as one along the path of destruction:
LAGUNA BLADE!

Deadfire
Wed, 10-11-2006, 10:15 AM
"What do my balls have to do with the fall of mankind?!" - Bando (Elfen Lied)

"Don't tell me he wants to conquer the world? Can't he come up with something more original?" -- Lina Inverse (Slayers)

"So tell me, what's it like living in a constant haze of stupidity?" (Don't remember)

"The interaction of men and women isn't very logical." (Don't remember)

"If you die, I'll kill you!" - (One Piece)

"Come on, scribbles on the bathroom wall, please show me the path that I must follow! " - (Excel Saga)

"Please don't worry, Mister, I only came here to obliterate you- not rob you." - (Excel Saga)

"The bullet of Justice caps evil's ***!" - (Excel Saga)

"I am Valentinez Alkalinelia Xifax Sicidabohertz Gumbigobillo Blue Stradivari Talentrent Pierre Andri Charton-Haymoss Ivanovicci Baldeus George Doitzel Kaiser. Don't hesitate to call." -Vash (Trigun)

"Chrono, the map is upside-down." -Azmaria (Chrono Crusade)

"Azmaria is amazing. She's already learning how to kiss up to rich people at such an age..." -Rosette (Chrono crusade)

"What have you done, lowest of the low? You are so beneath my contempt you have not even a name. You dare touch my contractor? You dare hurt what's mine?!" -Chrono (Chrono Crusade)

"There goes another self-destruct system to waste." - (Gundam Wing)

“I wouldn't mind if you want to kill me, but I might struggle a bit" - (Gundam Wing)

"Even without clocks, the sun will still rise." -(Don't remember)

"How could I forget? He's into dead girls!" -Kagome (Inuyasha)

"And so just play the part, trembling, and yelling 'Help me!'" - Ichigo (Bleach)

Ryllharu
Wed, 10-11-2006, 10:31 AM
"Ja-Jaan!"
-Eclair (Kiddy Grade)

"Bang."
-Spike (Cowboy Bebop)

"Hurry! Hurry! Hurry!"
-Alucard (Hellsing)

The Dragon Slave Incantation (can't remember it all in either language)
-Lina Inverse (Slayers)

Lina: "Do you have yogurt for brains?"
Goury: "Wanna taste?"
-Slayers NEXT

"That is the book for our meeting. Let's give our farewell with a smile...Okay?"
-Haruka (Kimi ga Nozomu Eien)

"Takumi...You killed Takumi! [pause] Kagutsuchi!!" *FWOOM*
- Mai (Mai-HiME)

Alv: "Okaa-san..." *sniff* "Okaa-san..."
Dvergr: "...I'm here."
- (Kiddy Grade)

"This is my ultimate strength...It's everything I've got. Starlight...BREAKER!!"
-Nanoha (Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha)

"Kouta...Kouta."
-Lucy, as they embrace in the last eps (Elfen Lied)

and lastly, one that sums nearly all of them up:

You're gonna carry that weight
-final frame of Cowboy Bebop

I'm sure I'm missing tons of them, but the last 5 are the biggest ones.

masamuneehs
Wed, 10-11-2006, 11:22 AM
some Gundam ones

"People who want to die, hurry up and die. You're wasting good air." - Prof. G, Gundam Wing

"You can be a captain or a nobody, but when your luck runs out, you die. That's how war is." Gundam 0080.

This is no Zaku, no Zaku!!! RambaRal - Gundam 0079

"Death is a gift given at birth." - unknown, probably Gundam Wing.

"If I have the power to make a differencen, why not put it to good use?"
probably the only Kira Yamato quote I think is worth repeating

"I may not be a peaceful man, but I can be useful in bringing about peace," Zechs - Gundam Wing

and finally, one real long one from Gundam Wing that I really like. It's probably the deepest thing that Heero says in the entire show, and it's got lots of themes that repeat throughout the various Gundam series... and of course it's an unfinished speech...:

...But why were the colonies made in the first place? I hear the main purpose was technological development to improve the lives of human kind on Earth. Did human kind start asking for too much from this imitation world? This self-sustained way of life is more stable than life on earth, especially since it lacks the risk of natural disasters. It appears that this unlimited growth was guaranteeing the eternal existance of human kind. Perhaps there was an age where people dreamed of the possibilities in the outer space where they could start from scratch. However, it's unthinkable that the colonies, or the human kind, will ever forget the Earth. What did technological development in the colonies bring to the Earth? The kind of technology the Earth wants most: millitary power. Destruction is a human nature that can never be gotten rid of, and now the colonies are developing a militaristic disposition. The colonies cannot forget the Earth.

The Earth has great beauty. The animals known as humans have aquired such strength that they even think about controlling this planet for themselves. From the point of a planet's life, the life of a living thing lasts no more than an instant. But in the end, it is only themselves that humans can think of. Nothing changes. The time spent by humans in outerspace has been a complete waste. The ideal is just a dream. This false pacifism, this false living space... Outerspace is nothing but a breeding ground for even more battles in the future.

Wars throughout history have claimed many lives. Although human kind has never been able to forget the sorrow that has been caused by wars, they have not stopped fighting. The blood and tears they shed in battle are merely ceremonial. One can't speak of history without reffering to the wars in each era as important events. I'm sure the pale peptalks of fighting for peace have been repeated numerous times in the past. The colonies say they need armamants to maintain peace. It's no different from on Earth. The colonies think they've joined the "big boys" now. I guess they believe the bloodshed would lead to higher morale... --- interrupted by the teacher

Honoko
Wed, 10-11-2006, 10:31 PM
One of my favorites is definitely from The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi:
"The fate of the world rests on my pitch. The world's not worth much these days."

wowza161
Thu, 10-12-2006, 12:45 AM
Here's an important one that I forgot to mention... (an oxymoron, I know)

"God did not create humans. Humans created God."
-Ronny Spangen a.k.a. Londes from Cowboy Bebop

I'm loving a lot of the quotes that you guys have provided, even though I might not have even watched the animes they originated from. I think I'm gonna have to go pick some of them up and watch them for myself =P

Keep it up!

kooshi
Fri, 10-13-2006, 04:29 PM
Just a small one I loved from Black Lagoon:

"My head's not torn off. My sunglasses aren't broke. Amen, Hallelujah, peanut butter."

Church
Sat, 10-14-2006, 11:09 PM
Ah, a lot of good ones, the ones that come to mind right now...

"Shut up! Shut up! Shut up!" - Shana from Shakugan no Shana
It's the way she says it, it's just very memorable

"It'd be scary if breats are hard" - Yumi from Chobits
I thought it was pretty funny...

Some good ones from Black Lagoon...
"...some idiot selling drugs without premission, it's such a pain in the ass."
"Hey, hey, is that in her ass?"
"Right in her ass."
Conversation between Revy and Balalaika, again, it's the way it was said and the expression. Rock in the background also helps set the stage.

"You want ass split into four?" - "Yes it is" lady

"When I talked to the old guy I acted high and mighty. Now that I think of it, I'm all talk, then I just run away." - Rock when he's high.

Most of the ones I remember really well are funny ones. I'll post some "deeper" ones later.
I think what really makes it memorable is not just what they say, but how (their expressions, posture, tone, etc) they say it and what happens when they say it.

Board of Command
Sat, 10-14-2006, 11:25 PM
"Welcome home." - a voice (Gungrave)

"Nice!" ; "Oh yeah!" - Harima, followed by Harima's brother (School Rumble 2)

"Vincent Law" - Real (Ergo Proxy)

Any piece of dialogue from Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi

reminisc
Sun, 10-15-2006, 07:13 AM
hehehe i love it how as i'm reading these quotes these scenes just start playing in my head...hahaha i actually surprised at how much anime i've seen!! haha this is a great thread

the only quote i can remember off the top of my head is:

''elena is dead. you killed her. And now you want to take even her death away from me" - Van ,gunXsword (as the claw man tells him he can revive her)

yeah as mentioned before the tone, expression and situation just made this line so awesomely memorable because when he says it he looked and sounded just so god damn furious!! haha

Sandldan
Sun, 10-15-2006, 02:17 PM
Taken from rurouni kenshin

The blue sky is infinitely high, crystal clear...that's what the world should be...a world of infinite possibilities, laid before us, crystal clear
Kintatsu to Shigure

You can always die. It's living that takes real courage.
Himura Kenshin

I don't want to cause a lot of injuries unnecessarily. All those who don't like visiting the doctor should retreat now.
Himura Kenshin

GTO

You're just a little brat that need a HUGE spanking! - Eikichi Onizuka.

Ah, I know a secret technique to prevent breasts from dropping. Shall I show you? - Eikichi Onizuka.

If you're gonna be a pervert, don't get found out. Common sense man, common sense. Right, Principal? - Eikichi Onizuka.

Leave it to me! Doggie-dzuka Eikichi, 22 years old! I'll do anything to cancel my getting fired - but I'm not good at it if it takes a brain. If possible, something that uses a dick.... - Eikichi Onizuka.

wowza161
Wed, 10-18-2006, 02:32 AM
I'm loving these quotes, guys, especially that School Rumble 2 one that Board of Command posted--even though I haven't seen that episode yet, I can totally see Harima and his brother doing something stupid like that. I guess for some of these, it really does help if you can picture the scene in your head, as reminisc said. Then again, there are those standalone quotes that are powerful in any context.

Here's another (long) one I stumbled upon while re-reading Fullmetal Alchemist:

"35 liters of water, 25 kilograms of carbon, 4 liters of ammonia, 1.5 kilograms of lime, 800 grams of phosphorous, 250 grams of salt, 100 grams of saltpeter, 80 grams of sulfur, 7.5 grams of flourine, 5 grams of iron, 3 grams of silicon, and a little bit of fifteen other elements... These would be the calculated components that make up the body of a single adult. We already know that much with modern science, but the reality is that no successful human transmutation has ever been reported--there's not enough of something. For hundreds of years, scientists have been researching and researching, but they still haven't been able to grasp it. So, you could say it's a wasted effort, but I think it's a lot more useful than just praying and waiting. Oh, right, and the ingredients for these parts? You can pick all of that up at a marketplace even with the pocket money of a little kid. It's really cheap to make a human being. Alchemists are scientists, so we can't believe in vague things like "The Creator" and God. We explain the fundamentals of the creation of everything in the world and pursue the truth. It's ironic that as scientists who don't believe in God, we're the ones who are closest to God."

-Edward Elric from Fullmetal Alchemist

reminisc
Wed, 10-18-2006, 06:46 AM
35 liters of water, 25 kilograms...that was where i read up to before i screamed FULL METAL ALCHEMIST!!!!! haha

well screamed in my mind anyway..lol but yeah i don't think i'll ever forget that one.

reminisc
Thu, 11-02-2006, 12:40 PM
im a small man. My heart is moved by what's in front of me, rather then what the world as a whole needs. - Allen Walker, D.Gray Man

haha just watched the first five eps, the quote really stuck haha