PDA

View Full Version : Game: Battlefield 2142

Lucifus
Mon, 10-09-2006, 06:01 PM
Well, I'm not sure how many of you enjoy FPS's, but anyone tried out the demo for BF 2142? Been playing it night and day for the last two days.

Info
http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0geurUV1CpFk4gAU9hXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTE3czJlY2F jBGNvbG8DZQRsA1dTMQRwb3MDMQRzZWMDc3IEdnRpZANGODI3X zEyNQ--/SIG=11ml32lfk/EXP=1160521109/**http%3a//www.battlefield2142.ea.com/

Demo
http://www.fileplanet.com/168737/160000/fileinfo/Battlefield-2142-Demo

If any of you guys are FPS fanatics like I em, whos up for a Gotwoot Server eh?:cool:

I've got mixed feeling for 2142, not sure if it will live up to its predecessor, but I'm liking what I've seen so far.

Bucket
Mon, 10-09-2006, 06:26 PM
As I was saying in the FPS thread:

There are some cool concepts here. I like the Titan game mode. However, I feel it'll become marginalized in the future and it won't really become as big a part of the gameplay as it should.

Furthermore, this game is plagued with the same problems that BF2 had (crummy server browser, takes 15 minutes to start a game, physics, gameplay balance and prediction problems), and I'm pretty disappointed that they haven't been addressed in all this time. Plus I hear all these issues of crashing games. It's like they spent a year cramming in cool ideas without sufficient testing to see if they work together or are even stable. More like they wanted to get the jump on other similar games that are coming out soon (Quake Wars).

I won't be buying this game any time soon. I'm sure the full game will ship pretty much like this and there'll be a series of patches coming out over the next few months. What's with shipping broken games?

Lucifus
Mon, 10-09-2006, 08:52 PM
I havn't had a single problem with it, loads extremly fast, in game in under a min and a half. (To those that think thats long, It sometimes took up to 10 minutes to load BF2)

I'm running x64, with Athlon 64 3 Ghz OC>4 Ghz, ATI xGTO1800, and 1 gb of sli ram. Same as before with BF2, so for me, Performance wize, a great improvement.

My brother's rig gave him lots of problems when he first tried BF2, but that with due to his OC's, too high.

mr3vi1m0nk3y
Mon, 10-09-2006, 11:31 PM
i cant even get the demo to work. everytime i try to start it tells me it cant locate d3dx9_29.dll and it crashes. i tried reinstalling directx 9.0c with no luck.

Bucket
Tue, 10-10-2006, 12:10 AM
You didn't install from Windows Update, did you? You should go run the updater from MS's official DirectX page.

I havn't had a single problem with it, loads extremly fast, in game in under a min and a half. (To those that think thats long, It sometimes took up to 10 minutes to load BF2)

I'm running x64, with Athlon 64 3 Ghz OC>4 Ghz, ATI xGTO1800, and 1 gb of sli ram. Same as before with BF2, so for me, Performance wize, a great improvement.

My brother's rig gave him lots of problems when he first tried BF2, but that with due to his OC's, too high.
By "takes 15 minutes to start a game" I meant that after loading you still have to fumble through an unnecessarily obtuse menu system. I have an Athlon64 2.5 GHz, 2Gb RAM and a GeForce7800GT, not to mention a 10k SCSI drive. Speed isn't the issue here.

Lucifus
Tue, 10-10-2006, 09:40 AM
I had that problem, the only problem I've had with the game. Just Google it and download it. Put it in the BF 2142 root folder.:D

mr3vi1m0nk3y
Tue, 10-10-2006, 04:45 PM
I had that problem, the only problem I've had with the game. Just Google it and download it. Put it in the BF 2142 root folder.:D

Thanks for the help, I'm trying this now.

EDIT: Game works but it says lost connection to server 2-3 mins after I join a game. Never had these problems with BF2 and if this is what i can expect from BF2142 then screw that game, ill get Quake Wars

EDIT2: Ok, works good now. The game is great but feels exactly like BF2. The Titan mode is just conquest with a new requirement for victory added on. Its fun but not as innovative as Quake Wars looks.

Bucket
Wed, 10-11-2006, 01:12 AM
Yeah, I get that message whenever the server has to do something besides throw packets around. Apparently BF2142 servers don't tolerate server-side slouch.