PDA

View Full Version : Split H264 file to fit onto 2 CDs

yallo
Thu, 10-05-2006, 10:41 AM
Hey need some help from you guys here...

I downloaded the FFVII Advent Children (H264 AC3) but it's 1.37GB, so I can't fit it into one cd-rom.

Is there a way to "split" the file into two, so I can burn it onto two separate CDs? I wanted to use VirtualDub, but heard that it has trouble handling H264 files. Any advice please?

Or is there a burning program that does this for me automatically?

Thanks in advance!

Munsu
Thu, 10-05-2006, 12:15 PM
Go ask your pal jackal, he should be around in irchighway #sazanquest

Arcn3ss
Sat, 10-07-2006, 10:03 PM
Hey need some help from you guys here...

I downloaded the FFVII Advent Children (H264 AC3) but it's 1.37GB, so I can't fit it into one cd-rom.

Is there a way to "split" the file into two, so I can burn it onto two separate CDs? I wanted to use VirtualDub, but heard that it has trouble handling H264 files. Any advice please?

Or is there a burning program that does this for me automatically?

Thanks in advance!

ew. Who uses CD-rs anymore? Stop living in 1997. Buy a DVD burner, they are quite cheap now-a-days.

complich8
Sun, 10-08-2006, 12:36 AM
hah! but if nobody's using cds, why are people still encoding anime at 175 or 233 megs an episode instead of a dvd-friendly 171-172?

Force of habit, I tell ya.

(this coming from a guy who's had a dvd burner for right around a month <_<)

yallo
Sun, 10-08-2006, 07:47 PM
I'm burning it for a friend who doesn't have a DVD player.

But anyway, I gave up trying to figure out how to split H.264 files and went to download the normal xvid one instead. Vdubmod does the job from there. *phew*

All those instructions about how to demux and remux (what the hell does mux mean anyway?!) just made me terribly confused and I figured it just wasn't worth killing my brain cells over. :P

Kraco
Mon, 10-09-2006, 02:19 AM
All those instructions about how to demux and remux (what the hell does mux mean anyway?!) just made me terribly confused and I figured it just wasn't worth killing my brain cells over. :P

Muxing is just mixing video and audio. Actually it's an old word of a broader meaning (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiplexing), but suits well this use as well.

Board of Command
Mon, 10-09-2006, 09:21 AM
Mux = putting video stream, audio stream, and other misc steams into one container/format.
Demux = opposite of mux.

I've never worked with H.264 because it's a royal pain in the ass. I tried...but it didn't go too well.