PDA

View Full Version : TV: Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip

SamuraiOdin
Tue, 09-19-2006, 12:28 AM
The premier of this show was earlier tonight on NBC. It has a bunch of well known people involved in the show. I, for one, thought the first show was awesome and it's now on my must watch list.

Anyone else watch it?

Lefty
Tue, 09-19-2006, 01:24 AM
I watched it as well and found it ot be in line with the Classic Film 'Network'. Goign ot be a great show.

Munsu
Tue, 09-19-2006, 09:01 AM
Just started the episode, hopefully it will be good with all these known actors in it.

I just wanted to take the opportunity to quote this post from the TV Shows thread because I really think it's a show worth looking forward to, especially if you like 24 and Prison Break type of shows. Show is Faceless.

I just watched the pilot for an upcoming show called Faceless. I have to say that this show will be fucking awesome, best pilot I've seen so far, so go watch it when you get the chance. It seems like it will be a FOX show.

http://www.mininova.org/tor/427831

Edit:

Just finished the first episode for Studio 60, and it was great. Much better than what I was expecting, I'll keep watching.

Munsu
Mon, 09-25-2006, 10:37 PM
Anyone watched episode 2 yet? I thought it was great, I really like how the show itself is like a Saturday Night Live "Behind the Scenes" show. I really like the camara work and such, I think I'll go find The West Wing and see if I like it.

By the way, it seems like the show airs on Sundays in Canada or something, so a HDTV version will always be available for download before it airs on Mondays, that's how I watched this episode ealier in the morning.

Assassin
Mon, 09-25-2006, 11:15 PM
I watched the second ep rite after Heroes, again by accident. I really like the show and i'll defiantely be keeping up with it. I can't figure out if its trying to be a comedy show or not. Its not quite comedy, but has comedic elements in it. Either way, its comes off really nicely and i really like the characters. Downloading the first ep rite now.

Edit:

watched the first ep. loved it. gonna watch it again rite now. btw, anyone know the name of the song played at the end of ep 1 (the guitar beats) and the song they perform in episode 2?

SamuraiOdin
Wed, 09-27-2006, 02:48 PM
watched the first ep. loved it. gonna watch it again rite now. btw, anyone know the name of the song played at the end of ep 1 (the guitar beats) and the song they perform in episode 2?

Do you mean the song that they parody at the end? If so the original is "I am the very model of a modern Major-General" from The Pirates of Penzance.

Munsu
Wed, 09-27-2006, 05:40 PM
watched the first ep. loved it. gonna watch it again rite now. btw, anyone know the name of the song played at the end of ep 1 (the guitar beats)

That's Under Pressure by Queen and David Bowie...

Munsu
Mon, 10-02-2006, 07:00 PM
Episode 3 in case someone wants to get it now:
http://www.mininova.org/get/441168

Munsu
Mon, 10-09-2006, 03:28 AM
Episode 4:
http://www.mininova.org/get/448427

Any of you catch episode 3? I thought it was the weakest episode of the three, but still good.

Assassin
Mon, 10-09-2006, 02:23 PM
Ya ep 3 wasn't on the same level as the first two, but then the first two were just awesome, so its hard to match up. Still it was a good episode. I really liked the insecurity that everyone felt due to the survey thing. And as always, the chemistry between matt and danny's characters was awesome.

SamuraiOdin
Sun, 10-29-2006, 12:37 AM
This post seems to have fallen by the wayside, which is such a pity, considering how great this show is. For those still following the show though, here are the links for episodes 5 and 6

5: http://www.mininova.org/get/455974

6: http://www.mininova.org/get/463482

I felt 6 was the best episode yet this season.

Assassin
Sun, 10-29-2006, 01:01 AM
refresh my memory, ep 6 was the one with the old army guy and toms parents rite?

If so, then yes definately a great episode. I really liked the character development for tom and simon. As always im impressed by the writing for this show.

Assassin
Mon, 11-06-2006, 01:32 PM
Am i the only one still following this show?

Well ep 7 is out and it is awesome. I have to say, its probably one of the best episodes thus far, and thats saying something. I can't wait till next week to see how it all turns out.

FrogKing
Mon, 11-06-2006, 01:58 PM
@Assassin: No you aren't alone in watching this great show...although, we may be few in number it seems. I keep recommending this show to everybody b/c it is absolutely great. As a fan of the first 2 or so seasons of the West Wing (when it was fresh and new), I find that this is a refreshing, well written, well acted new series. I love the show and can't wait till tonight's episode!

To anyone reading this thread wondering if the show is worth a shit, start watching! I know Hero's is getting all the hype (and I am liking that show more and more as the weeks go by), but after it is done just keep watching for Studio 60 and you may be surprised by how good it is.

Munsu
Mon, 11-06-2006, 07:06 PM
I'm still watching it, hoping it doesn't get cancelled because it had not been doing well. Thankfully NBC loves the show, so it's giving it a chance.

FrogKing
Mon, 11-06-2006, 08:11 PM
Holy shit, I hope it doesn't get canceled! I will have to press more people to watch it...Thanks for the info Bud...although I hope NBC really loves it and gives it a better time slot. 10pm on a Monday ffs it's better than ER and it should get the coveted Thursday nite slot instead.

SamuraiOdin
Mon, 11-06-2006, 11:00 PM
Just finished watching episode 7, and it was great. Only bad thing is that it's a 2 part episode, which mean I've got to wait another week for the conclusion :(

FrogKing
Tue, 11-07-2006, 03:34 PM
Another great episode. I thought John Goodman was awesome, his first scene had me rolling. I laughed at the interplay between the higher-ups and the 'public' which is one of the reasons why I like this show so much. It humanizes the network world and gives us a behind the scenes to who the people who write and make shows like SNL (Studio 60) happen from week to week; not to mention the shit they have to pull in order to make it happen. Love the series and hope that it stays strong (both in writing and viewership).

Jadugar
Thu, 11-09-2006, 10:41 AM
Love the series and hope that it stays strong (both in writing and viewership).

Quoted from Tv.com

Yesterday, rumors swirled that NBC's expensive drama Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip was headed for the scrap heap. Despite the fact that NBC had ordered three more episodes of the show, cast members were reportedly telling friends the show was near its end.
Now, NBC has refuted that story, saying the show is still profitable and that the network will give it at least a little while longer. Media Daily News says NBC is frustrated by the decline of Studio 60's ratings, but that the show brings in affluent viewers that advertisers care about. Therefore, the 7.7 million viewers the show earned last week is OK--for now.

SamuraiOdin
Thu, 11-09-2006, 01:28 PM
Studio 60 picked up for an entire season:
http://www.eonline.com/gossip/kristin/blog/index.jsp?uuid=c592e2f9-63db-429d-b860-a5d9c89787ff

SamuraiOdin
Sat, 11-11-2006, 02:17 AM
For those following the show via torrent here's episode 7 (2 part episode, part 2 to be shown on Monday -or Sunday in Canada- I believe):
http://www.mininova.org/get/477025

Edit: Fixed link, should now be episode 7 and not episode 5

Munsu
Sat, 11-11-2006, 11:15 AM
Sorry, but that's episode 5... next episode should be 8.

Here's 7:
http://www.bt-chat.com/?mode=details&info_hash=dba445264e70cd63962ed6bed4aae29e494db3aa

Jadugar
Thu, 11-16-2006, 07:57 PM
Episode 8 :

http://www.mininova.org/get/483836

Everything tuned out alright.

Assassin
Thu, 11-16-2006, 10:56 PM
I dont think this episode lived up to its predecessor. It couldn't quite keep up with the pace and writing of the last episode, so it felt kind of anti climatic.....to me anyway. I guess i just had really high hopes after watching episode 7.

Munsu
Mon, 01-22-2007, 03:30 AM
Show is back. Episode 12:
http://www.mininova.org/tor/554258

Assassin
Mon, 01-22-2007, 09:47 AM
awesomeness. hope it'll be a good ep

Munsu
Mon, 01-22-2007, 04:48 PM
Well, just watched the episode and thought it was pretty good. Nice mixture of comedy and drama as always.

FrogKing
Tue, 01-23-2007, 12:02 PM
I am glad the show is back from its break, but it seems like the show is turning into a romance comedy with three different characters pairing up. I really like the drama with the backdrop of a comedy show, but the relationship aspects (except for Matt and Christian girl b/c that one has been in the mix since episode 1) seem a bit forced...well, really forced when it comes to Danny (stalker anyone?) and Amanda Peet from NBS.
I do like the whole news censorship story line but it too feels a little bit forced. It is as if the writers are throwing story lines against the wall and is looking to see what sticks...
I hope the show finds its niche and gets back on track with some good character development and drama.

Munsu
Thu, 02-01-2007, 10:10 AM
Anyone watched tihs weeks episode? I thought this was pretty good, with the 15 year old winning the date. I think Danny and Jordan are going to end up together after this, and Matt and Christian girl are going nowhere. The Chinese girl is one huge slut, reminds me of a Las Vegas episode with two hot daughters making sluts out of themselves. Can't wait to see what Matt says when presenting his love the award.

Assassin
Tue, 02-06-2007, 02:41 AM
Man i absolutely loved this episode. Has to be one of the best of the season imo. I was getting worried the past few weeks cuz studio 60 had lost the witty charm of the first few eps, but this episode brings it all back, and then some.

The whole deal with cal and the animals was hilarious, and danny/jordan on the roof was great as well. It was good to see matt struggle with the punchline and get all worked up about harriet. The tom/jack/kim trio was awesome as well. i love how the writers brought all the elements to a close without comprimising the quality even a bit.

Munsu
Tue, 02-06-2007, 03:53 AM
I agree, this was a great episode, but I haven't had any complaints from the previous episodes either. These last 2 or 3 episodes remind me of the 2-3 part story episodes of The West Wing, they always were the best episodes in the series.

Assassin, you were worried for the lack of witty charm because there was actually some drama and arguments going on. It's very hard to write these witty quick dialogues when the characters are fighting with each other, and that's pretty much what's been happening on the last couple of episodes. But Aaron Sorkin should still be writting the scripts, so those fun dialogues should be back fairly soon. Now, when Sorkin leaves the series to work on another project, then you should worry about it (last couple of seasons of The West Wing suffered because of his abscense).

Zati
Tue, 02-20-2007, 02:20 AM
I just recently started catching up on Studio 60 and I'm loving it but than some bad news came :

On February 13, 2007, NBC Entertainment president, Kevin Reilly, announced that the network will pull "Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip" one week earlier than planned, leaving the spot for "The Black Donnellys."
Now its on hiatus/TBD but hopefully it comes back soon and won't get cancelled.

Assassin
Tue, 02-20-2007, 03:20 AM
NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

god dammit, those fucking network pricks. studio 60 is one of the best shows on the air rite now. it better not get cancelled. fucking retard american public, they'd rather watch some skank in a bikini on yet another crappy reality show then a smart, well directed comedy show, cuz that makes thier tiny brains hurt.

ironically this is exactly the type of thing jordan doesn't like either. why can't kevin rielly be more like her.

i hope theres some kind of pettition to keep studio 60 going.

Munsu
Tue, 02-20-2007, 01:41 PM
Rather than blaming the American public (though they are partly responsible), I blame the current rating system the networks are using to base their decisions.

I still think that Nielsen Ratings are not good enough to rate a show, especially when it's largely influenced by the Hawthorne Effect. If you don't know that means, then it simply means that subjects that are being studied alter their behavior since they know they are being studied and/or observed.

I recently read a new story about the President of Showtime, and the direction he's taking the network to. It gave me hope on network executives doing the right thing, hopefully other networks will follow the example. Here's a portion that I found interesting:

He also emphasizes that ratings aren't the primary factor in what drives him to renew or cancel a show. Because the premium network isn't beholden to advertisers, Greenblatt also takes into consideration critical acclaim and kudos, which led to a second-season pickup of the critically praised but low-rated drama Brotherhood.

"For us, it's a matter of having a great lineup of shows that (subscribers) want to spend money on," he says.

http://www.tv.com/dexter/show/62683/story/8696.html

Munsu
Sun, 10-07-2007, 11:54 PM
Just watched the final 6 episodes of the series. As pissed off as I was with it being cancelled, the final episodes were nice. They tied up every loose end in the series, and had a truely good ending. So at the least, I'm very satisfied with how they ended it... it was a true ending, not one of those cliffhanger season finales.

Assassin
Mon, 10-08-2007, 12:02 AM
Indeed, it really gave a sense of closure. which just makes this series that much better. i wanna get the season on dvd.....anyone know when (or if) it comes out?

Munsu
Mon, 10-08-2007, 12:14 AM
On the 16th:
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/shows/Studio-60-Sunset-Strip/10129