PDA

View Full Version : Game: Super Columbine Massacre!

XanBcoo
Fri, 09-15-2006, 03:44 PM
This is a game based on the shootings at Columbine High School, created with RPG Maker. It's pretty basic. There's nothing uniquely innovative about the gameplay, but it has stirred up a considerable ammount of controversy.

Article about the game: http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/local/article/0,1299,DRMN_15_4702205,00.html

An interview with one of the survivors from the Columbine shooting and his thoughts on the game: http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/feature/columbine-survivor-talks-about-columbine-rpg-171966.php

An interview with the creator himself: http://blogs.rockymountainnews.com/denver/freePlay/2006/05/qa_creator_of_super_columbine.html#more

An article about the recent school shooting in Montreal: http://abcnews.go.com/International/story?id=2432320&page=1
The media is linking this shooting to the game because Kimveer Gill (the shooter/immense faggot) apparently enjoyed playing this game, but is this game a legitimate target for blame??

The official forum for the game can be found here: http://www.columbinegame.com/discuss/index.php. It contains a lot of interesting discussion (mostly supporters). The game can also be downloaded from this site, I believe.

What are your thoughts on this matter Gotwoot? Do you think this game would indeed provide a new perspective on the event? In the maker's own words, he could have created a movie or written a book, but instead made this game. Is it insensitive? Is it thought provoking? Is it just some nerd trying to be "edgey" by inciting controversy? Apparently the presentation of the game seems to both glorify Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold aswell as show a realistic perspective of the event and how horrific it was. So are the naysayers of this game just uptight, or are its supporters just looking for justification while getting off to a simulation of real random violence?

I haven't actually played "Super Columbine Massacre!", so I can't offer my personal opinion on the game itself, but my initial reaction was that it was just to trivialize or mock the event (especially with its flashy title). After doing some reading, however, it seems that there was a deeper reasoning behind the making of the game. All of us here know that videogames can be another medium of artistic expression, rather than just mindless entertainment. So perhaps this game really does offer a deeper viewpoint on our "culture of death", though I have yet to determine how "deep" a social commentary it is.

IFHTT
Fri, 09-15-2006, 04:30 PM
Wow, interesting read. Something about real-life tragic events being presented via an interactive medium sure likes to stir up controversy. Reminds me of the media noise generated by JFKReloaded... Of course, it is to be expected, these are/were real people's lives you're meddling with. The timing is predictably perfect with the Canadian School shooting incident too, especially since the shooter apparently liked the game.

mage
Fri, 09-15-2006, 04:33 PM
Old news, but the game was pretty cool.

XanBcoo
Fri, 09-15-2006, 04:39 PM
Old news, but the game was pretty cool.
Yeah, it's old news, but I just heard about it this morning though an interview with the creator. Again, it was being tied to the recent Montreal shooting.

mage
Fri, 09-15-2006, 05:36 PM
We need Super Montreal Massacre asap

Blaurg
Sat, 09-16-2006, 03:23 PM
that's terrible. some things should be dealt with with respect, not like this.

mage
Sat, 09-16-2006, 03:27 PM
It's no different from killing people in a WW2 game. It even has shitty SNES-esque graphics, it's not like you're shooting lifelike replicas of the students. I don't see why anyone would even complain. If I had the time I'd make a badass 9/11 game just to piss nerds like you off.

On another note, how did Gill only manage to kill ONE person? An FPS elite such as myself would have gone atleast 50-0. What a newb.

Lucifus
Sat, 09-16-2006, 03:41 PM
Call me insensitive, but all I've got to say to this is Rofl. :D Those are my thoughts towards the game and posts.:rolleyes:

darkmetal505
Sat, 09-16-2006, 05:22 PM
I can see why controversy would arise.

@ mage

the reason WW2 games won't hit as hard to the audience is because none of the kids experienced it first hand. However, the Columbine incident was in our generation.

I also see why some would not freak out. Frankly, I think its quite funny like Lucifus. The game is doing what it was supposed to do.

gr3atfull
Sat, 09-16-2006, 06:13 PM
Making a game about it is just wrong.

A game about shooting at a school/college is not the same thing as a War game. A war game says it, every one has a gun and fight. Shooting at a college is one armed person VS total innocent people in a cafeteria.

The creator has no emotion toward the people who died, who got injured or who was stuck in a class behind tables for hours and just hearing gun shots for the people of Columbine or Dawson.

mage
Sat, 09-16-2006, 06:21 PM
One of the students who was injured has even said in an interview that he is glad that the game was made (for whatever reason, I don't remember and can't find the article). If he's OK with it and even likes it, I don't see why anyone else should even care.

XanBcoo
Sat, 09-16-2006, 07:02 PM
One of the students who was injured has even said in an interview that he is glad that the game was made (for whatever reason, I don't remember and can't find the article).
I linked to the article in the first post:

It probably sounds a bit odd for someone like me to say, but I appreciate the fact at least to some degree that something like this was made. I think that at least it gets people talikng about Columbine in a unique perspective, which is probably a good thing. But that being said there are a lot of things that are har to play or watch. And it seems to partially glamorize what happened. It shows a stark-contrast between fantasy and real life in an interesting way.

mage
Sat, 09-16-2006, 07:18 PM
Oh, I didn't notice.

gr3atfull
Sat, 09-16-2006, 07:32 PM
You cant just take one person's opinion and generalize it for every one.

This game just fed the sick Montrealer the crazy desire to kill people which he did on Wednesday.

mage
Sat, 09-16-2006, 07:54 PM
Yeah right. Just like Doom caused Columbine right? Don't let yourself be brainwashed by the mass media bullshit. If this game was never made they would have just blamed it on something else like Manhunt (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manhunt_(video_game)) or Marilyn Manson. Sadly, you would probably buy into that too.

Games don't feed anyones desire to kill anyone. Seriously, look at this screenshot:

http://www.columbinegame.com/media/Bathroom.JPG

There's no way this could lead someone to go on a killing spree.

redcat
Sat, 09-16-2006, 08:10 PM
This game just fed the sick Montrealer the crazy desire to kill people which he did on Wednesday.
if you played the game would you go start a school shooting?

no? then why would it cause it for anyone else?

if it did, it would be impossible to be the only factor, and it would be an incredibly small one.

gr3atfull
Sat, 09-16-2006, 09:05 PM
if you played the game would you go start a school shooting?

no? then why would it cause it for anyone else?
A person with mental problems would.

Yeah right. Just like Doom caused Columbine right? Don't let yourself be brainwashed by the mass media bullshit. If this game was never made they would have just blamed it on something else like Manhunt (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manhunt_(video_game)) or Marilyn Manson. Sadly, you would probably buy into that too.

Games don't feed anyones desire to kill anyone. Seriously, look at this screenshot:

http://www.columbinegame.com/media/Bathroom.JPG

There's no way this could lead someone to go on a killing spree.

Doom:
army dude VS aliens and monsters

Columbine game:
One armed civilian VS civilian.

I dont care if the graphics look childish or not, the idea is still there.I dont get myself brainwashed by the media. I look at facts.And I wont blame Marilyn Manson.

Conclusion : I am saying that a NON SANE person will kill and a sane person wouldnt. And come on, a game on a massacre. Is that really respectfull to the people who were somehow touched by it? Are people seriously running out of ideas to make games?

mage
Sat, 09-16-2006, 09:07 PM

Do you suggest we censor everything violent or sexual so that people with mental problems don't kill or rape people? It wouldn't fix a thing. Violent media has nothing to do with people going on killing sprees.

Are people seriously running out of ideas to make games?
Did you even read the articles? Jeez.

Lucifus
Sat, 09-16-2006, 09:09 PM
Indeed a insane person would kill, if not from the game, he would have easily found some other reason to go berserk. I've been pissed before, and after playing a game like this, I wouldn't go rampage at school, I would laugh my azz off because its so goddamned funny.

This pathetic attempt at a 2d game is accomplishing exactly what it was made for. This thread is an example. This is funny stuff!!!:rolleyes:

gr3atfull
Sat, 09-16-2006, 09:17 PM
Yes, I did read all those articles.

If you think its fine to make a game about a school masacre, why dont they make a game about 9/11. The game is simple, you play a Taliban Terrorist and you have to crash planes on the Twin Towers. Its controversial.

My point is you shouldnt make games on events when it wasnt a war. It has no respect!

Lucifus
Sat, 09-16-2006, 09:18 PM
Theres probably a 911 game like that somewhere out there already.............

mage
Sat, 09-16-2006, 09:22 PM
Yes, I did read all those articles.

If you think its fine to make a game about a school masacre, why dont they make a game about 9/11. The game is simple, you play a Taliban Terrorist and you have to crash planes on the Twin Towers. Its controversial.

My point is you shouldnt make games on events when it wasnt a war. It has no respect!
Lol, I'd gladly make you a game about 9/11 if I had the time (like I said earlier..). I think I could make a pretty good one too. At the end if you got the secret ending, you could play as the creator (me), who happens to be a fucked member of the US secret police. In this scenario, the objective would be to track gr3atfull to his house, rape his mom, and kill him for being a nerd. If gr3atfull happens to be a girl (I don't know), then both her and her mom would be raped then killed in all of it's 2D glory. It's not his fault though, it's never the persons fault. It's because he played Super Columbine Massacre. It was his favorite game.

Why hasn't someone made a 9/11 game? It's because nobody cares. The fact that this guy took the time out of his day to create a Columbine game is laughable at best. He said himself that he had just found RPG Maker and wanted to try making something, and Columbine just happened to come to mind.

gr3atfull
Sat, 09-16-2006, 09:23 PM
I am a girl. -_-

Lucifus
Sat, 09-16-2006, 09:24 PM
Rofl, funny stuff. Well I'm out of this disscussion. I admit, its really crappy and disrespectfull to make a game out of this. But hey, what'cha gonna do? Take a page from the game and go rampage on the creator?:cool:

Edit: I'm sorry failure of reputation. Your avatar is the greatest but I've gotta switch. I've gotten 4 neg reps in under 6 hours. T-T

redcat
Sun, 09-17-2006, 01:42 PM
so you agree its their mental problems and not the game, then?

gr3atfull
Sun, 09-17-2006, 08:19 PM
I am saying that the mental person who play the game would go shoot a school. A "normal" person wouldnt necessarily. It depends on a person.

My point is that you shouldnt make a game about it. It is not polite. I guess you guys would only undersand what I mean if you were touched by the Columbine/Dawson massacre some how or you are from the city like I am from Montreal.

redcat
Sun, 09-17-2006, 09:13 PM
well if it depends on the person then it has nothing to do with the game.

Genma
Sun, 09-17-2006, 09:49 PM
Considering this was made in rpgmaker200, it's a pretty good game. Of course the storyline is a bit... eh... well, whatever.

After a while the midi of 'Engel' gets really, really, really annoying.

samsonlonghair
Mon, 09-18-2006, 02:14 AM
I just played this, and I can't believe there's really a need to talk about it.

I didn't know it was possible for someone to need attention this damn badly. The creator of this game must have no friends whatsoever. Outside of any context this is just a crummy game; it's not fun at all. Because the creator couldn't make a good game, he just did some shit to get attention. That's all this is. Some idiot creates controversy because no one wants to talk to him otherwise.

If you don't like the moron who made this game, ignore him. Ignoring him and his piece of crap game is clearly the worst thing anyone could do to him. Like a twelve-year-old wearing a bikini or a kid throwing a temper tantrum in public, this guy is just another dipshit who'd do anything for attention. The obvious solution is to roll our eyes and go on with our lives. His game isn't cool; it's not funny; it's not innovative; it's just damn boring.

Don't use this shitty game to add fuel to the censorship fire. By the way, just because I don't completely agree with Malthalis, doesn't mean that I think it's funny to give her hell. Joking about raping a forum member and her family (even in the context of a game) is just damn immature.

In closing, let's stop talking about this shithead of a game maker. That's what he'd hate more than anything else.