PDA

View Full Version : Manga: Mx0

kAi
Thu, 09-14-2006, 09:19 PM
Well, Bud happened to come on this, so I gave it a read and enjoyed it. I like the concept of the story thus far. It gets you laughing, and the character designs and magic is cool also.

Summary:
The story starts off with a flashback, Kuzumi Taiga is asked at his school entrance interview what he would do if he could use magic. "Take over the world" is his reply, followed by an outburst of laughter from a very cute girl. Not much remains in his memory after those events, but he does remember the girl and she is somehow involved in him failing to enter the school of his choice. Wandering around outside of aforementioned school the next day, he gets mistaken for a student ditching class by one of the teachers; and get's pulled into the school through a magic barrier he did not notice. He is in fact a student with no magical ability at all, and it just so happens this is a magic school.

http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=2984

It's only recent with 18 chapters out, and 7 scanlated.
Now available to download at mangatraders.com

samsonlonghair
Fri, 09-15-2006, 07:12 AM
I just read the first chapter. This could be the setup for a really cool series.

Stoopider
Fri, 09-15-2006, 10:36 AM
Seems to be lots of new 'Harry-Potter' type theme manga's coming out recently :p

Downloading now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hahahah!! Brilliant series. Funny as hell. Non-stop laughing from beginning to the end. I wonder if this series would eventually go somewhere and become more serious, it has potential to be a good proper series imo. :P

samsonlonghair
Mon, 09-18-2006, 12:45 AM
I finished reading all the available chapters, and I'm damn impressed. The story is funny as hell, the character dynamics are setting up some great jokes, and everything's set up for a great, long-running series.

Kai, this was a great find. Thanks for the link. Can't wait for the next chapter.

kAi
Mon, 10-02-2006, 05:46 AM
Chapter 8 is available at mangatraders.com

Chapter talk:
Nice chapter, he looked crazy insane then, looks good!
Now it seems these guys are in for a serious beating.

Stoopider
Mon, 10-02-2006, 09:35 AM
Woo yeah. Thanks

samsonlonghair
Tue, 10-03-2006, 01:52 AM
Thanks Kai; Great chapter.

That voodoo girl can be alittle bit creepy, no?

kAi
Mon, 10-09-2006, 10:19 PM
Chapter 9 available from MangaTraders.

Chapter Talk
Nice chapter, these guys are getting the shit kicked out of them without the use of magic. So now people will actually think twice about stealing his plate (maybe). He's going to jump down there and find his plate, he doesn't not want to stay at this school.

samsonlonghair
Sat, 11-04-2006, 03:48 PM
I'm getting far too impatient. Iove this series, but Ossu hasn't come out with any releases in a month. Yeah, I know it's inconsiderate to piss and moan about having to wait. The translators have done a great job. I wish I could read more, but the raws are incomprehensible.

Is anyone else translating?

lambchopsil
Sat, 11-04-2006, 05:11 PM

You want the simple answer?

No

You're going to have to wait just like everyone else. Anyways, I just did the ch10 QC today, so that should be out soon...hopefully...

Zati
Fri, 11-10-2006, 05:05 PM
Yes new chapter 10 just out by Ossu!

I uploaded on to mangatraders and did the DDL link below for people that are lazy :) :

sendspace download (http://www.sendspace.com/file/oc5tjv)

Ikepuska
Sat, 11-11-2006, 05:44 PM
I don't know about anyone else, but for me the premise of this series was really pretty misleading. I was kinda thinking it'd be more light-hearted? Childish I guess. Which is why I didn't download it for a while.

Instead it's really actually pretty action oriented with a nice dose of fighting, which is a plus. And the badass/dumbass combination of the main character manages not to get on my nerves the way that combination usually would. The mangaka manages to make him seem like a dumbass without him being a total idiot. It's nice to see a main character that conforms to the statement "Ignorance can be fixed, stupidity is for life." He's ignorant, not stupid. He's also actually being given some pretty interesting dimensions, like finding Hiiragi refreshing.

The art style is also quite unexpected, I was thinking something cleaner(if that's the right word), but the style's reminding me of AirGear, which is nice, cuz I like the fightscenes.

All in all I'm glad I tried the series despite the description feeling more like a drama than an action/fighting series.

kAi
Wed, 12-27-2006, 07:26 PM
Chapter 11 out by Ossu.
Get it from their IRC channel.

dark maginn
Sat, 12-30-2006, 11:43 PM
just read most of the chapters and its good and funny

Zati
Tue, 01-02-2007, 03:38 AM
Nice a fast release, Chapter 12 just out by Ossu! Get from IRC.

Edit : Wow Chapter 13 is out too!

Edit 2 : Heh another one Chapter 14 just released! Ossu releasing fast!

lambchopsil
Tue, 01-09-2007, 12:33 AM
Fast only for now...

kAi
Tue, 01-09-2007, 10:43 AM
The branch chief has some wierd magic going on, especially with the bandana.

I like how they think that he has magic powers and they want to see what he's capable of but haven't been able to because he doesn't (can't) use magic.

Ossu did a good job with releasing those chapters, thanks.

lambchopsil
Wed, 01-17-2007, 03:18 AM
Then you'll be happy to know that ch15 was just released.

Munsu
Wed, 01-17-2007, 02:24 PM
Last couple of chapters have been pretty good, there's been plenty of action.

Munsu
Fri, 02-09-2007, 02:08 PM
Chapter 16 and Omake are out by Ossu!

Get it at your usual places.

About chapter 16:

It was an OK chapter, but I'm getting tired of the usual dialogues that happen in these types of manga. "Please don't use your powers, I'm sure that when you started using it you were a nice boy and liked to do charity work, let's all be friends", and dumb shit like that.

Anyways, I hope chapter 17 comes out soon because I think it'll be pretty kickass, maybe our main character will finally use some magic?

kAi
Mon, 03-05-2007, 10:08 AM
Upto chapter 20 has now been released by Ossu, you can get it all from MangaTraders.

Chapter Talk
Well, they've passed the test, even with the teacher interfering as 3 of them have come out. Hiiragi must've meet up with her mother, as that would most likely be her most happy time. Unless each door is a little different. I like how they came up with a test that you didn't actually need magic for, to not make him use anymore points from his card, although it seems he might use some if Hiiragi is in any kind of trouble.

lambchopsil
Tue, 03-20-2007, 08:14 PM
Well chapter 21 is out.

Quite an interesting chapter with a new exam~

kAi
Tue, 05-08-2007, 12:39 PM
Upto chapter 32 has now been released.
Anyone still reading this?

animus
Tue, 05-08-2007, 01:38 PM
Yea, but not much really happens and it's just not as good as I thought it would turn out when I started reading.

lambchopsil
Mon, 05-21-2007, 10:21 PM
I just proofread 33-34 today. (Hopefully release will be within the week...) Anyways, quite some interesting chapters with a Class Match and you-know-who being the expected top of the crowd. He's also starting to get on with that new girl~ (And dang, that plant fairy girl is getting good)

kAi
Tue, 05-22-2007, 09:36 AM
You're such a tease lambchopsil!

But thanks for the heads up.

reminisc
Thu, 06-07-2007, 02:31 AM
umm i'm assuming by the number of views there probably are a lot of people visiting this thread to see if the new chapters are out, so i thought i might just let you's know that 33 and 34 are out and can be downloaded from mangatraders.

btw since your here you might aswell post some praise to this series and say how awesome it is ^^

lambchopsil
Tue, 06-12-2007, 12:17 AM
Well, we released up to ch37 now~ It's getting good with that inter-class game of theirs. (And ch39 ends the first match)

reminisc
Tue, 06-12-2007, 05:33 AM
um lambchops, just curious where do i go to get those chapters? i checked mangatraders n mangaupdates but they're not really there?

ooo the class matches start soon? oo i can't wait to see how he's gonna pull this one off..lol he's been pretty lucky so far, everything seems to just fall in his favor lol

animus
Tue, 06-12-2007, 07:38 AM
Get it from their irc channel. If you don't know how to use IRC, you should learn. It's one of the best places to get stuff, when there isn't a readily available DDL or torrent.

bagandscalpel
Tue, 06-12-2007, 05:19 PM
um lambchops, just curious where do i go to get those chapters? i checked mangatraders n mangaupdates but they're not really there?
http://www.maximum7.net/

^Go thither, it will supply your direct downloading needs, up to a point.

reminisc
Wed, 06-13-2007, 04:42 AM
ooo thanks for pointing me in the right direction guys =)

lambchopsil
Sun, 06-17-2007, 10:44 AM
Well, up to chapter 39 has been released now. The rest is...not ready...yet...

And thanks to you guys for helping reminisc out.

kAi
Mon, 08-13-2007, 04:58 AM
Just wondering if anyone is still reading this, it's upto chapter 51 now.

Chapter Talk
The group matches have just concluded, I also liked the way that the matches were won. Kazumi has got good tactics, and we already know his stamina and fighting sense.

Foomanchew24
Mon, 08-13-2007, 07:08 PM
I plan on picking this up after I catch up on berserk. Im hoping this has some decent humor and or action, otherwise I probably wont follow it. The art looks nice though, thats always a plus.

Everon
Tue, 08-14-2007, 11:41 PM
I glad that they've toned down the H stuff and made Ise more of a secondary character.

Ossu seems to be working overtime recently, they've released a ton of chapters in the past week.

Hikyuu
Wed, 08-15-2007, 09:06 AM
Bah I've only read up through the first mach >< ... time to catch up :D
EDIT: Wow I really like The way the main character avoids using his MO so much. Were those caltrops he threw??? not the leaves-- the time before that.

Everon
Sat, 09-15-2007, 09:12 PM
53 and 54 just released by Ossu. I hope they translate more of this arc soon, it seems to be pretty funny.

Ryllharu
Sun, 09-16-2007, 06:48 PM
I see he's already screwed up their plan (at least a little) on his own.

reminisc
Thu, 09-20-2007, 07:52 AM
did i interpret it right? is Hirigi and the principal going to get taiga some magic powers?

hrmm about that time travel thing, won't that like mess up how he and aika met? like didn't they become friendly as a result of her feeling bad about him not passing the entrance exam cause she laughed? hrmm guess we'll have to wait and see.

lol he got turned into a basketball -_-''

Foomanchew24
Fri, 09-28-2007, 12:48 AM
Wow, this is a really fun manga to read. I really enjoy the thought processes of the main char having to bullshit his way through just about everything. I really hope he eventually learns some actual magic, that would be really gratifying to see. Great humor, action ect.. More people should be reading this.

Foomanchew24
Sun, 04-06-2008, 09:26 AM
Anyone else reading this? It is being scanned on a regular basis now and the story is alot of fun. Anyways this is up to chapter 94 now and it just keeps getting better, watching the main character struggle and grow.

animus
Sun, 04-06-2008, 11:42 AM
I kinda stopped reading when the speed scanners picked up. Maybe I'll pick it up again.

Ryllharu
Sun, 04-06-2008, 12:00 PM
I have not been enjoying the recent chapters as much. Kuzumi can use magic now. With that, it lost a lot of the charm it had with a normal-ish guy facing down all these students who possessed an overabundance of magical skill.

He could only rely on others (Lucy, Mizuki and Aika the most) or the defensive martial arts he learned to respond to his overpowered loli sister.

It gave him the charm of being a clearly inferior person, but still defeating them because his attitude. One of restraint. The others easily take for granted their abilities, and by not using any magic, Kuzumi was able to undermine their confidence. He was using their strengths, their weaknesses, and giving them a lesson all the time because though he reportedly has this immense magical potential, he never shows them any of it while defeating them.

m0 changed that a little bit, but the idea was still there. He was still storing up points to give to Aika at the end of graduation, and didn't want to waste it. He was forced to think about the best way to cancel their abilities using the least amount of effort, or not using m0 at all in order to keep it a secret as well as conserve his points.

Now...he can use magic more freely, which pulls some of the burden of secrecy off him, but I just can't see the feel of the series being the same anymore.

bagandscalpel
Sun, 04-06-2008, 11:19 PM
Now...he can use magic more freely, which pulls some of the burden of secrecy off him, but I just can't see the feel of the series being the same anymore.
I can see where you're getting at, but I don't feel as though the series will devolve to that point, despite it being shonen and all. No, it's not as though Kuzumi developed full magical abilities, he can still only copy ONE spell at a time. This means he's still magically inferior to his classmates, while managing to avoid slipping too far behind while they increase their own abilities. He still needs to think- he's not going to overpower anybody else anytime soon through shear magical power.

David75
Tue, 04-08-2008, 09:29 AM
Started sunday night and got to chapter 94.
Nice, I laughed hard a lot of times.
The black M0 development leaves ground for evolution.

Regarding fan service, it's done in a very humorisitc way at times, so I laugh very hard when it does happen.

Oh well, I'll come back to this when more chaps are available.

Everon
Sat, 05-17-2008, 06:33 AM
Well for you guys who may or may not know. Mx0 ends at 99.

Ryllharu was correct that the series was starting to come to an end. I'm sure the mangaka could have extended the series even longer, but without a good plot twist, it would be scraping the barrel.

Ryllharu
Sat, 05-17-2008, 07:29 AM
The exact same thing happened with Pretty Face, the author's last title.

Just and abrupt end that doesn't really tie everything up. Not that it's a really bad thing, it's far better than the series dragging on and on with no clear idea of where to stop or resorting to really stale, overused, cliche, really shitty fanservice with no point whatsoever.

(Open Sesame and Gacha Gacha, I'm looking at you and I'm ashamed to still be reading both).

EDIT:

Though I am surprised as everyone else. After Mx0 made it past chapter 53 (final chaper of Pretty Face), I thought the author finally had a hit with this one. The art is so much better than a lot of the totally generic series around. Canceled the series for no reason it seems.

...and here I was hoping for a Mizuki ending.

kAi
Wed, 05-21-2008, 11:14 PM
Just finished reading chapter 99.

An abrupt stop but as people have said it's probably better to stop it here and then drag on forever. Although, it could've continued with good story for a little longer.

Kraco
Thu, 05-22-2008, 05:14 AM
Hmm... Some people over at MT were saying it stopped because some other series replaced it in the publication, thus forcing it out of the medium. If that's true, then it's not even a real end. And in my opinion it surely looked that way. I thought from the beginning the whole setting (the idea behind it) was somewhat shaky and not really carefully planned beforehand, but at least the characters had potential. And that potential was left quite untapped. Plus, in the end nothing really major happened in the whole thing, just a bunch of smaller arcs. Well, I guess that made it a slice of life type of story in the end.

What sucks most, though, is of course that we will never know if the dude got the Golden card to fulfill Aika's wish (or if she even got her own).

kAi
Thu, 05-22-2008, 06:10 PM
Well, I don't know if it was some other series that replaced it in publication, it seemed to have a bit of a fan base. This is the longest running series this author has done, and there was talks a long time ago, around the chapter 50 mark that this wouldn't be that long. Although, it's not that far out there to make a mini-sequel to this, as there is some story line left in this to go, but I doubt it.