PDA

View Full Version : Your Fav 5!

Stoopider
Fri, 09-08-2006, 05:39 AM
Hey, we haven't had a thread like this in a while.

Name me,
1) Your top 5 favorite anime of all time !
2) Your top 3 favorite anime currently watching!

I'll post mine in a while.

Kraco
Fri, 09-08-2006, 06:06 AM
(In no particular order.)

Ye olde series:
- Elfen Lied
- Berserk
- Aishiteru ze Baby
- Shingetsutan Tsukihime
- FMP

Currently airing:
- Utawarerumono
- Eureka 7
- Zero no Tsukaima

Now, I have to add that I already typed Cowboy Bebop in the list instead of FMP, but changed it after a little pondering. In my opinion Bebop is a better series, but when I think about it in retrospect, FMP probably matters more to me, even if it doesn't reach Bebop's level of quality. But then again I have a series like Aishiteru ze Baby there, so you can probably disregard anything I say...

For the currently airing I placed Zero there instead of School Rumble 2nd season, because in the end despite SR's superior script writing and amazing level of quality I tend to be drawn more to coherent plots rather than individual episodes.

KoKo37
Fri, 09-08-2006, 06:34 AM
My five favorite series that I've seen before would be :

1. Gankutsuou
2. Monster
3. Elfen Lied
4. Great Teacher Onizuka
5. Gungrave

I've yet to watch the anime of 'Berserk', however if it's as good as the manga, it would probably be second to third on that list. 'Speed Grapher' and 'Basilisk' are also some of my favorites.

My three favorite series that I'm watching right now would be :

1. Eureka seveN
2. Utawarerumono
3. School Rumble - Second Term

I'm going to watch 'Planet ES' and 'Legend of the Galactic Heroes' next. I've heard good things about them, so they might be up on my list(s) soon.

mage
Fri, 09-08-2006, 07:03 AM
1. Gankutsuou
2. Planetes
3. Infinite Ryvius
4. Berserk
5. FMA

Ryllharu
Fri, 09-08-2006, 07:21 AM
My top 5 are (no order):

-Kimi Ga Nozumu Eien
-Slayers (I'm considering all the series and movies at once, too hard to pick one season)
-Kiddy Grade
-Ghost in the Shell: SAC (1st and 2nd Gig)
-Elfen Lied

I considered many of the saga series as whole works, simply because I needed to save space on the list. I thought about adding Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha and Nanoha A's, but I'll have to wait for the third season to add that to the list. Other close calls were Cowboy Bebop, Neon Genesis Evangelion, School Rumble season 1, and either Hoshi no Koe or Beyond the Clouds. Aria is combined with the second season and is on my currently airing list.

As for currently watching top 3 (no order):
-Kaleido Star
-ARIA (and -the Natural-)
-Utawarerumono

Zero no Tsukaima and SR Term 2 were close on the list, as was Bokura Ga Ita. It's hard to pick just three when you watch so many.

Death BOO Z
Fri, 09-08-2006, 07:39 AM
top five most loved animes?

Trigun
Berserk
Kare Kano
Dragon Ball Z
Azumanga daioh.

currently watched best animes?
a bit of a problem, I hardly watch anything now, so i'll have to say: good witch of the west, Gash Bell and Hokuto no Ken..
yep, not the best that the anime world has to offer...

masamuneehs
Fri, 09-08-2006, 07:43 AM
strange enough, i didn't find any thread that was more than just "favorite current anime"... (that wasn't 2+ years old...) so i suppose this topic stays.

and man, such a difficult question!, especially for favorite's of all time...

From all the ones I've seen, the names that come to mind are (in no particular order):

Cowboy Bebop
Kenshin
Gungrave
Monster
Bleach

Honorable Mentions go to: FMA, Mushishi and Naruto

As for the ones I'm currently watching, those I can quantify (as I'm only watching 5...):
1. Eureka SeveN
2. Zegapain
3. Blood+ (yes, i am currently liking it more than)
4. Utawarerumono
5. Zeta Gundam (2nd time through it isn't as good...)

Munsu
Fri, 09-08-2006, 08:00 AM
Top 5:

Hunter X Hunter
Project ARMS
Kurau Phantom Memory
Monster
Twelve Kingdoms

Currently watching, top 5 because top 3 makes no sense:

One Piece
Akagi
Eureka seveN
The Third
Ergo Proxy

RyougaZell
Fri, 09-08-2006, 08:17 AM
Top 5 all time anime

Magic Knight Rayearth
.hack//series
Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu
X by Clamp
Fushigi Yuugi

Top 5 Manga

X by CLAMP
Mahou Sensei Negima
Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon
Naruto
Bleach

Top 5 Novels

Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu
.hack//Series
---vacant---
---vacant---
---vacant---

Top Series Currently Watching
Coyote Ragtime Show
Innocent Venus
NHK ni Youkoso
xxxHOLIC

So yeah... added other 2 categories... yeah...

Board of Command
Fri, 09-08-2006, 08:22 AM
Top 5 all-time:

Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi
Elfen Lied
Gungrave
Monster
Black Lagoon

Top 5 ongoing:

School Rumble 2
Ergo Proxy (pwnage in a can)
Welcome to the NHK
Honey and Clover 2
Nana

Apraxhren
Fri, 09-08-2006, 09:24 AM
Top 5 all time:

Vampire Hunter D - Bloodlust
FMA
Lupin the III
Monster
Nadesico (I figure to get crap for this but I swear it is so much deeper than the crappy anime it seems to be.)Top 5 watching:

Eureka Seven
Mushishi
Welcome to the NHK
Gintama
Blood+

Aeon
Fri, 09-08-2006, 09:34 AM
Aeon's Top 5

One Piece
Madlax
Gungrave
Yu Yu Hakusho
Shakugan no Shana

Aeon's Current Top 3-5

They are always in my sig, I usually change it weekly when certain shows have awesome eps.

Okyd
Fri, 09-08-2006, 09:47 AM
Top 5...

Ghost in the Shell ( 1st and 2nd Gig)
Gungrave
Full metal Alchemist
Cowboy bebop
Gundam SEED. ( NOT Destiny.. it's 2nd half sucked )

Top currently Watching:
Blood+
Night Head Genesis
Tsubasa Chronicles
( Innocent Venus looks very promissing aswell.. )

Dark Dragon
Fri, 09-08-2006, 01:22 PM
Top 5:

GTO
Hunter X Hunter
One Piece
Lupin the 3rd
Ranma 1/2

Currently Watching Top 5:

Zoid Genesis
Utawarerumono
MAR's
School Rumble 2nd Term
Tsubasa Chronicle

DDBen
Fri, 09-08-2006, 01:26 PM
Top 5 in no particular order
Yu Yu Hakusho
Gungrave
Monster
Full Metal Alchemist
Full Metal Panic

Top 5 currently watching
1. Air Gear (this is by far the anime I have been looking forward to new episodes of the most)
2. One Piece
3. Gundam SEED CE73 Stargazer (better then destiny with only 2 episodes ;))
4. Kiba (not that good but there is so little to watch right now it will do)
5. Hmm well as I said not a lot worth watching currently out and there is nothing else noteworthy I'm watching so I'll leave this blank for now.

Lucifus
Fri, 09-08-2006, 02:20 PM
Top 5 anime:

GTO
Yu Yu Hakusho
One Piece
Hunter x Hunter
Elfen Lied

Honorable Mentions: The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Naruto, Samurai X, Samurai Champloo
Top 5 Current:

Ergo Proxy
Air Gear
Utawarerumono
Black Lagoon

Oh, and rep to Bud, Dark Dragon, And DragonRage for recommending me a few of the best anime of all time! Woot!

FrogKing
Fri, 09-08-2006, 02:44 PM
Top 5 anime: (not really in any order)

One Piece
Samurai Champloo
Kenshin
Cowboy Bebop
Naruto (pre-filler Hell)

Top 3 Current Anime: (not counting OP 'cause it made my fav)

Eureka Seven
FMA (yeah, yeah, I am WAY behind the curve)
Bleach (filler or not, I still like this series alot)

Top 5 Manga:

Hellsing
Bleach
One Piece
Berserk
Naruto

Boomstick
Fri, 09-08-2006, 03:06 PM
Top 5
One piece
Tri-gun
Full Metal alchemist
El-Hazard
Basilisk

Current top 3
School Rumble 2nd Term
Air Gear
Bleach

xDarkMaster
Fri, 09-08-2006, 04:37 PM
Top Five (in no order)

FMP
Kenshin
HxH
One Piece
FMA

Top Three Current (in no order)

E7
Blood+
GitS

Church
Fri, 09-08-2006, 10:30 PM
It's really hard to pick any top #... a lot of them has many pros and cons... but I'll try... though I'd probably change my mind by tomorrow.

Top 5 All-Time:

The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi
School Rumble
Gits SAC
Fullmetal panic
Elfen Lied

Top 5 Watching:

xxxHolic
Ergo Proxy
Ouran High School Host Club
Welcome to the NHK!
Utawarerumono

Stoopider
Sat, 09-09-2006, 06:43 AM
strange enough, i didn't find any thread that was more than just "favorite current anime"... (that wasn't 2+ years old...) so i suppose this topic stays.

Yup thanks. :) I just wanted to know some good anime's recently and what they think about it. We haven't had a thread like this for a while. And no point sticky-ing it. Because it will change from time to time.

Top 5 Anime for me (No particular Order)
1)One Piece
2)Berserk
3)Hajime No Ippo
4)Hoshi No Koe (though doesn't quite count as a series)
5)Azumanga Diaoh

I've dropped Naruto from my top 5 every since the fillers started. Bastards :p

Top 3 currently watchin.
1) One Piece (as always)
2) Utewaremono
3) Honey and Clover 2.

Styles
Sun, 09-10-2006, 09:28 AM
Top Five All-Time Series: (Not in any type of order)

Rurouni Kenshin (didn’t really enjoy the anime until I saw it uncut)
Outlaw Star (Classic and I still re-watch it when there is nothing else out)
Shuffle! (I wasn’t into anime like this until this show came along)
Tenjou Tenge (even though it was a rush job, I still enjoyed the show)
Yu Yu Hakusho (got a little DBZ-ish towards the end but still a good series)

Top 5 Watching: (Not in any type of order)

Zegapain
Ergo Proxy
Welcome to the NHK!
Ouran High School Host Club
Inukami!

Top 5 Manga: (Reading or other wise)

Megatokyo (yep)
Bleach
Naruto
Trigun Maximum
Blade of Heaven

Lucifus
Sun, 09-10-2006, 03:51 PM
Top 5 anime:

GTO
Yu Yu Hakusho
One Piece
Hunter x Hunter
Elfen Lied

Honorable Mentions: The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Naruto, Samurai X, Samurai Champloo
Top 5 Current:

Ergo Proxy
Air Gear
Utawarerumono
Black Lagoon

Oh, and rep to Bud, Dark Dragon, And DragonRage for recommending me a few of the best anime of all time! Woot!

Well, in the last 2 and a half days I just caught up with School Rumble. Must be put into my top 5! Great series.....:cool: Adding Elfen Lied to Honorable mentions and SR to my fav.

Top 5 anime:

GTO
Yu Yu Hakusho
One Piece
Hunter x Hunter
School Rumble

Honorable Mentions: The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Naruto, Samurai X, Samurai Champloo, Elfen Lied, Fate Stay/Night
Top 5 Current:

Ergo Proxy
Air Gear
Utawarerumono
Black Lagoon

Zinobi
Sun, 09-10-2006, 04:39 PM
Top 5 of all time:

FMA
Elfen Lied
Cowboy Bebop
Golden Boy
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

as i dont usually watch all that much anime a the same time ive been watching Utawarerumo and the generic Naruto and Bleach....

Nai
Sun, 09-10-2006, 06:54 PM
... In no particular order...

Berserk
Gundam SEED
Monster
Full Metal Alchemist
Hellsing Ultimate ( already, yes! )

Hellsing Ultimate
Bleach
Ergo Proxy
Blood+
Witchblade

YaGaMi
Mon, 07-09-2007, 05:31 PM
In no particular order:

Top 5 Anime

Legend of the 4 Kings
Hunter X Hunter
Berserk
Rurouni Kenshin 1st OVA
Hajime No Ippo

Top 5 Anime Movies

Grave of the Fireflies
Ninja Scroll
Street Fighter 2 Animated Movie
Fist of the North Star
Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust

Honourable Mentions:

Monster, Full Metal Alchemist, Gungrave, Cowboy Bebop, Bleach, Rurouni Kenshin Series, Akira

Mizuchi
Mon, 07-09-2007, 05:50 PM
Top 5 fave anime:

Naruto
FMA
Prince of Tennis
Bleach
Samurai Deeper Kyo

kooshi
Mon, 07-09-2007, 06:05 PM
Top 5 favorite anime:
1. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
2. Cowboy Bebop
2. Full Metal Panic: The Second Raid
4. Honey & Clover
5. Planetes
(Cowboy Bebop and FMP: TSR are tied for me)

Top 4 current anime:
1. Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagaan
2. Hayate no Gotoku!
3. Lucky Star
4. Seirei no Moribito
(It would be 5, but I'm only watching these 4 at the moment. I'll be checking out Higurashi 2 and Sky Girls soon enough)

Lucifus
Mon, 07-09-2007, 06:52 PM
Well, since the threads been revived.

Top 5 anime:

Great Teacher Onizuka
School Rumble
One Piece
Fate Stay/Night
Code Geass

Top 5 Current:

Darker Than Black
Nodame Cantabile
Herioc Age
Claymore
Bokurano

Honorable Mentions:

Black Lagoon, TMHS, Samurai X, VDS, Samurai Champloo, BTC, Mushishi, KPM, EP

Updated Above.

Board of Command
Mon, 07-09-2007, 07:14 PM
Now that this is revived, I'm obligated to post again...

Top 5 all-time: (no particular order)

Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi
Elfen Lied
Gungrave
Death Note
Welcome to the NHK

Top 5 ongoing:

Code Geass
Darker Than Black
Combat Butler Hayate
Claymore
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann

Zati
Mon, 07-09-2007, 07:26 PM
Top 5 all time :

One Piece
Gungrave
PlanetES
Hunter X Hunter
Monster
(Elfen Lied, GTO, and Ippo right behind)

Top 5 current animes :

Darker Than Black
Claymore
Code Geass
Seirei no Moribito
Bokurano

kenren
Mon, 07-09-2007, 07:40 PM
Top 5!
I'll go with my all time favourite anime. no order though..

FMP (<3 tessa)
Azumanga Daioh (Osaka!)
Code Geass
School Rumble (I can't wait for season 3!)
Gensoumaden Saiyuki (IMO, only the first season is watchable.)

Foomanchew24
Mon, 07-09-2007, 08:15 PM
Top 5 all time
1.One Piece
2.Monster
3.Great Teacher Onizuka
4.Bleach
5.Naruto

Currently airing top 5
1.One Piece
2.Bleach
3.Naruto
4.Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann
5. Darker than Black

Honorable mention:
Fullmetal Alchamist, Hikaru No Go, Trigun, Cowboy Beebop, Ruroni Kenshin, Hunter x Hunter, Yuu Yuu Hakashu, Samurai Champloo and others I forget

Augury
Tue, 07-10-2007, 12:54 AM
Top 5 anime:
1. Hikaru no Go
2. Rurouni Kenshin: Reminiscence (Samurai X: Trust & Betrayal)
3. Twelve Kingdoms
4. Honey & Clover
5. Kimi Ga Nozumu Eien

Currently: only watching Claymore

Psyke
Tue, 07-10-2007, 08:09 AM
My top 10 in no particular order:

1. Deathnote
2. Elfen Lied
3. Ghost in the Shell
4. Gunslinger Girl
5. G Gundam
6. Basilisk
7. Gundam Seed
8. Monster
9. Shurato
10. The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi

Current:

1. Claymore

Downloading Bleach and Naruto but not watching anymore. Keeping Darker than Black till the series ends.

TruthofMistake
Tue, 07-10-2007, 08:21 PM
Top Five:
-Gungrave
-FLCL
-FMP
-Cowboy Bebop
-Onegai Teacher

Top 3 (current):
-Kaze no Stigma
-Bleach
-Black Lagoon

Manga
-Beck

complich8
Sat, 07-14-2007, 05:02 AM
I'm going to digress here a little bit.

This sort of thread is a bit odd. You look at it, you read the title, maybe the first post or two, and the post right before your own, but however many there are in between, have you read them all? Do you care?

I mean ... it's a good concept and all, but in practice, with a prompt like "list your favorites", there's no real discussion to be had. Just "oh, I like these" "oh, I like these" over and over again.

So instead, I'm going to toss out a couple of my favorites with reasons why they're my favorites. Maybe we can turn this shambling corpse of a thread into something that's not a collection of soliloquies before an otherwise-empty theater.

I loved The Melancholy of Suzimiya Haruhi because it was an incredibly hard narrative style to pull off and they did a great job of it, managing to tell something of a "school"/"romance" genre story while simultaneously embracing and shattering the cliches of school/romance as genres. It was insane, it was consistently funny and intriguing, and the art and animation were top notch.

I also have to say, Read or Die (the OVA in particular) has to be one of my favorites. Excellent animation, amazing art, an ambitious fast-paced story and absolutely incredible music made it one of the most enjoyable pieces of animation I can think of. It's also notable for its extensive and very direct use of a lot of the literary influences that other stories try to mask.

Ghost in the Shell isn't getting a whole lot of love around here. I enjoyed both movies and Stand Alone Complex (at least, the 17 eps of Stand Alone Complex I helped sub and got around to watching ... I should really get back to that show). The first movie was great for being jam-packed with fast-paced eye-popping action, from the very first scene all the way to the museum battle with the tank, and still managed to get in a healthy dose of metaphysics, talking about the blurring borders between humanity and machinery and dancing on the ethical implications of that. The series, while slower-paced, manages to be more nuanced in its treatment of philosophical themes, while consistently producing episodes that are interesting on their own and that often advance a larger story. The series' treatments of those themes offers a lot of food for thought, without necessarily doing all the thinking for the audience -- something that other shows dealing with deeper themes often do. GitS is, if anything, an invitation to ruminate and to examine your own ideas in a new light. And it's also got a lot of sexy cyberpunk cyborg-on-cyborg hawtness. And tanks.

So why do you love your favorites?

TruthofMistake
Sat, 07-14-2007, 05:54 AM
I love Gungrave because it had an amazing plot, even with it telling you the outcome in the very begining the way they told the story throughout the remaining 23 episodes kept me coming back for more. In very few animes do I come to care about the characters at all but I was really, really sad when they got to the very end of Gungrave and played out the deaths of everyone.

I really like FLCL because it will bring me out of my darkest moods, i'm not sure why. When I first started watching it I was having a less then stellar summer, but could watch that show and forget about it. It's just a lot of fun, and I love the music.

There's not a single bad thing I can say about FMP, I like the plot, art, music, and characters. Everything in that anime added to the whole experience and it was entertaining from start to finish. I usually skip through bits of the animes I watch, when they're just going over stuff that I already know, but I didn't touch my mouse at all watching this show. Cowboy Bebop was the same way, although I liked the music in this show a lot more.

Onegai Teacher was the first romantic-comedy I watched and my gateway into that genre. The art was good, and it had some really funny parts while dealing with a "serious" problem. It was fun to watch the characters, namely Kei, Mizuho, and Hyosuke for me, work out their problems and watch them progress as people.

Ryllharu
Sat, 07-14-2007, 06:18 AM
Explanations are always better.

Aria and Aria -the Natural: It's hard to describe why I love this series so much. Nothing really ever happens. You really can't get any more slice of life than this. But, over time, each of the girls get a quick boost in character development, all while learning to love their work and the city they live in more and more. The music meshes so perfectly with the atmosphere of the series and I've even read that the female characters' names all start with the letter 'A' because it gives it a more gentle feeling. As a result, that's exactly how the series feels, it's like a gentle breeze flowing over the water, relieving all your stress. It would be really boring to some, but I've never seen another series come even close to the effect this one accomplishes.

Slayers [the entire franchise]: Even more disturbing than the lack of GiTS overall in this thread, is the lack of Slayers. This is the franchise I will never tire of watching for the rest of my life. Yes, the art is lackluster in the movies, and pretty terrible in the series, but it's from 1996. However, so few series give a great blend of action and comedy. Slayers has a little bit of everything. The series have all the action and drama you could want, mixed in with a very liberal dose of comedy. The films take the comedy a step further, forcing Lina Inverse into even more stupid situations that others take dead serious. It's not quite a children's show, since a good portion of the humor tends to be more mature. What it is a great franchise to watch with your family, your girlfriend newer to anime, you little cousins, or your own children. Light enough for everyone to enjoy, but has just enough depth to keep everyone else watching. When I first started watching anime, I found myself watching a lot of depressing anime (because I heard they were some of the best) and Slayers was the perfect panacea.

Voices of a Distant Star: Consider first for a moment, that this entire film (about 30 minutes) was done by a single person. When that wow factor wears off, you still have a really emotional film about the separation of two lovers and the connection that still exists between them across enormous distances. I still consider this Makoto Shinkai's greatest work (I haven't seen 5cm yet), as it says everything it needs to in a short time, all with excellent animation and a true mastery of the animation of light and lighting effects. I really felt everything you feel when you're separated from someone you truly love. The desperation to meet once more, the desire to communicate, and the hope that one day, you will be reunited. It is his first major work, but it is both an excellent display of his skill at writing and directing while still being a more complete story than several 12 episode series (and the occasional 52 eps series).

Compy couldn't have talked about Ghost in the Shell better. Hawtness, and tanks. ...And the philosophical ruminations left to the audience. The two series and two other movies are no different.

I could elaborate more on Cowboy Bebop, but it's generally the same reason I love Aria, the flawless executed atmosphere of the series.

Instead, I'll explain my love/hate relationship with Onegai Teacher. What I really can't stand about it is the constant reuse of one or two lines. (Not Mizuho's "Sai yu-sen jikou"). Several of the side characters are flat-out unbearably stupid. But that aside, for some reason, I can't help but watch the series once a year or so. The (now classic) premise of a student marrying his teacher due to a misunderstanding. But it goes beyond that and how nice Mizuho looks in a swimsuit. It goes through the emotions of a husband and wife forced together in an arranged marriage, something more commonplace in Japan. It not only goes through the emotions of those two, but everyone close to them as they slowly learn to love each other. It's an old saying that love grows with time, and the idea is illustrated pretty well here. It has comedy, it's got all the drama you could ever ask for, and it's ecchi (at times). It never asks a lot of it's audience (other than patience to endure repeated lines and annoying characters), but the harder you look at it, the deeper a series it becomes. Every time I swear I'll never watch it again, around a year, I get the urge to watch it once more.

isso
Sat, 07-14-2007, 07:48 AM
Top 5 anime (no order)

FMP
Neon Genesis Evangelion (my first anime)
Samurai X
Basilisk
Gundam Seed

Top 3 current (no order)

Naruto
Bleach
Elfen Lied (finally started it)