PDA

View Full Version : When and why do you register to web sites?

Kraco
Mon, 08-21-2006, 09:04 AM
Note: This doesn't concern only Gotwoot registration, but your general policy.

I have been wondering for a longer time how people usually regard registering to net sites and forums. For example here there are multitude of pages in the members list filled with people with zero posts, who don't have the slightest intention of ever posting anything, and many of whom probably never visited this place that many times.

It usually takes me considerable time to just wander around in a forum, sometimes months, before I register and post anything. And I have never registered to any site without immediately posting or doing something else requiring the registeration. Had I registered here right when I began to read gotwoot forums, my join date would be 4 months earlier!

xDarkMaster
Mon, 08-21-2006, 09:11 AM
Right before posting or accessing a member only item.

I just don't like getting a bunch of e-mails and stuff from places I will potentially never use or see again. It also makes it easier to keep track of where I have registered.

kAi
Mon, 08-21-2006, 09:59 AM

Much like xDarkMaster. I was lurking here a while before I registered, and something made me post so I joined.

yallo
Mon, 08-21-2006, 10:06 AM

Ditto. Otherwise, there isn't really much incentive for me to register.

Psyke
Mon, 08-21-2006, 10:11 AM
Same as the above. Either wanting to make my voice heard, or simply to access a page/download only available to members.

For gotwoot, I lurked here for quite a few months too before posting. If I can remember correctly my first few posts went to the Gundam Seed thread.

Board of Command
Mon, 08-21-2006, 10:19 AM

I do that for all sites, except GW. I don't remember why I joined GW...

Ryllharu
Mon, 08-21-2006, 10:29 AM
Right before posting or accessing a member only item

Like everyone else, I usually lurk around and get the information I need from forums without registering. I only register after being overcome with an incredible urge to post (like how one eps of Naruto brought me here, and some heated flame thread made me register at another forum). On occasion I've registered when I needed to raise a concern in a forum that wasn't asked yet, but it's usually because I need to post really bad for some reason.

Yukimura
Mon, 08-21-2006, 11:12 AM
I tend to register all over the place, whenever I have something to say, or if it's required for some service I seek. Throw away email accounts aregreat. Like most of you I was reading gotwoot a few months before I made a post.

mage
Mon, 08-21-2006, 12:16 PM

Lucifus
Mon, 08-21-2006, 12:34 PM
Only when its required to be a member to access/download something. I leeched info out of gotwoot for a few months before actually joining to post. I think I registered at gotwoot to get my voice out in the Fanarts section.:rolleyes:

KitKat
Mon, 08-21-2006, 02:24 PM
I don't usually register at forums. In fact, I never even browsed forums until one day while downloading Naruto from Gotwoot's main page I accidentally clicked the forum button. The topic title in the Naruto discussion section caught my eye, so I clicked on it and started reading. Ten minutes later, after reading most of the current topics, I registered, and made my first post. I was the most noobish of noobs, completely ignorant of everything forum-related. We didn't even have rules at that point to refer to. And, Terra mistook me for a guy, but then, I thought he was a girl. Understandable, I guess, since I had my Shikamaru avatar that I'd made in Paint 5 minutes after I joined.

Subsequent forums I've joined up at have been only when I was about to make a post. Generally though, I won't lurk at a forum. I'm either signed up there and active, or I never browse it at all.

Kraco
Mon, 08-21-2006, 03:37 PM
Hmm... The results thus far have been quite uniform. Of course the basic setting of the poll might remove the first type completely, as they aren't likely to encounter polls hidden in the forums. However, there shouldn't be any obstacles for the other types. Basically the options can be divided in two: Registering just in case and registering only when necessary.

Both types should be as likely to vote, considering the registration would be historical always. Unless the just in case type is less likely to actually post at all.

Since this site doesn't require registration for any functionality aside from posting, in theory almost all the zero post members could be counted to belong into the first type. Some fraction could of course be people who registered to actually post something, but then refrained from posting after all, for whatever reasons.

Aeon
Mon, 08-21-2006, 03:43 PM
Joins the right before posting group. I only tend to join forums that I know I'm gonna post on(Gotwoot/Neogaf) and won't leave unless I find a better one for gaming or anime or if the site pisses me off like when I used to post on Animesuki when I first got into anime and somebody decided to tell me that Neji loses to Naruto cause he's my favorite character. After that joined Gotwoot and never posted there again.

complich8
Mon, 08-21-2006, 03:55 PM
Following the normal trend, I basically never register for anything unless there's a particularly good reason.

Unfortunately, my patience is usually low, and if registration takes me longer than a minute or two, or if when I register I get redirected somewhere that isn't where I was trying to go, I often lose interest. This happened just today, in fact.

I'm annoyed that I have something like 65 account login/password pairs to keep track of now. Most of them are the same, and really I've only got about 6 variant passwords and 6 logins, so there's only really 36 possible combinations to try for any given site :p. Still too much though.

Terracosmo
Mon, 08-21-2006, 04:39 PM
Right before posting or accessing a member only item. - (but I accidently chose the wrong option in the poll lol)

I don't see the point in registering for any other reason.

gr3atfull
Mon, 08-21-2006, 05:37 PM

With the same reasons that every one mentionned before.

XanBcoo
Wed, 08-23-2006, 08:24 AM

Another for option number 4. In general, I won't sign up for something if I'm never going back. Like everyone else it's usually for some member-only service.I actually have a separate email account I use when registering for sites that I use infrequently to avoid cluttering up my usual inbox with confirmation emails and stuff. And I only have 2 usernames variants and 3 usual passwords, so I can usually remember which goes with which easily.

I don't usually lurk a lot before posting in forums, though. I came to GW a few days after an anime blog I read (and used for discussion) was shut down. Figured there was no point in lurking.