PDA

View Full Version : Game: Dirge of Cerberus - Final Fantasy VII

NM
Sun, 08-20-2006, 11:16 PM
So has anyone gotten this game? I started playing it awhile ago and its not that bad of a game. I haven't gotten too far though, I only went through the tutorial levels and the first level of the game. Gameplay wise its ok, its a simplified third person shooter. Enemies come at you and you kill em with any of your guns or use your melee attack, thats all. But as you progress through the levels, your offered more missions, like protect the civilians and such. The lock on also makes the game even easier so I switched that to manual when I started the real game to at least make it more of a challenge.

The gameplay graphics are alright, somewhat on par with FFX. But the movie sequences in this game fucking rock (and I do have to say that it would have to be the highlight of the game). They look almost as if they came from the Advent Children movie itself. Theres no option for the languages but the English VA's from the movie do the voices for DoC and like the movie, they were decent.

Another awesome part about the game is the customization you can do for your guns. You get a handgun, rifle, and a machine gun. You can add a Sniper Rifle scope, materia, and when you get gil, you can upgrade your guns firing rate, accuracy, etc. Vincent's transformations also make their return in the game.

I can't say too much about the story since I'm not that far. But do I really need to? Vincent is already a kickass character from the original FF7. :cool:

zibo
Sun, 08-20-2006, 11:45 PM
Yep I got it and already beat it on hard level, to my suprise Hard wasn't that hard I expected it to be a bit longer + harder but over all great game also that Vincent Valentine is my favourite FF character :D

btw I hear theres a Extra Hard level is you beat the game, but how do I play it ? When I press Game Start it only can load my saves I can't start new game on Extra Hard :confused:

TruthofMistake
Mon, 08-21-2006, 02:17 AM
It looked good, but i suck at these kinds of games. Is the battle system hard to get used to? Shooters are so much harder on a console, and I really dont have the patience for a complicated system, no matter how good the game.

zibo
Mon, 08-21-2006, 11:40 AM
There is no battle system like in other FFs, it's just like any other 3rd person shooter, you come up to enemy point gun at them and shoot till they're dead.

mage
Mon, 08-21-2006, 12:14 PM
I heard this game is boring and unchallenging. Is there much advancement to the plot or is it just a fanboy piece of shit like AC?

zibo
Mon, 08-21-2006, 12:19 PM
I wasn't bored by the game, but there were lots of parts that were unchallenging even on hard level, as for the story, the story line is pretty descend there is some advancement as well as it has some flash backs of Vincent's past. The story line is over ok, but not as good as in the original FF7.

mage
Mon, 08-21-2006, 06:08 PM
Zibo, how long did it take you to beat it?

Zinobi
Mon, 08-21-2006, 06:44 PM
havent beat yet but got it the day it came out, havent gotten a whole lot of time to play.
i like it so far i just got to around the middle of the game.
i agree with NM the scenes that look straight out of AC are awesome.

It looked good, but i suck at these kinds of games. Is the battle system hard to get used to? Shooters are so much harder on a console, and I really dont have the patience for a complicated system, no matter how good the game.

you can hook up a usb keyboard and mouse and use those instead

mage
Mon, 08-21-2006, 07:09 PM
I just went and got it. Finished the tutorial.

zibo
Mon, 08-21-2006, 07:19 PM
Around like 15-20 hours on hard

LaZie
Mon, 08-21-2006, 08:43 PM
This game is good. Just that these types of games ala Halo gives me a headache if I play it for long periods of time :p Also, I started on Hard Mode and I've died a few times on each boss except Shelke :p

I just finished the HQ Siege stage.

zibo
Mon, 08-21-2006, 09:15 PM
I enjoyed playing this game very much, maybe I will start playing FF7 again

mage
Wed, 08-23-2006, 12:25 AM
on chapter 5 now, will probably finish the game tomorrow. enjoying the story so far.

Genma
Wed, 08-23-2006, 12:29 AM
I got it yesterday and played practically all day today (with the exception of the three hours it took me to do homework -- damn college! >_<) and I like it. Some of the voice acting is pretty corny, but that's about all I can find wrong with it.

LaZie
Thu, 08-24-2006, 12:15 AM
I can see why the game got such a bad score now. The repetitiveness really kicks in during chapter 9 and up.

mage
Thu, 08-24-2006, 06:22 PM
Just finished the game. Took 9 hours 41 minutes on hard and I didn't die once. This is the easiest fucking game I've ever played.. Even the last boss (easiest motherfucker ever) who was like the size of Midgar only took half my HP away. The story was cool, but it's too bad the gameplay sucked ass. Atleast the ending was more than 30 seconds this time. Oh, and Sephiroth's name was only even said once. Amazing.

Around like 15-20 hours on hard

Wow holy shit. You must suck hard.

zibo
Thu, 08-24-2006, 07:39 PM
Well, try without auto lock and other things that make it easier, but yes last boss was so easy, I jsut run around him and shoot him. Btw the 15-20 hour was assumption I didn;t sit there with timer. I played couple hours one day, couple others, so it should be around that much time.

Try playing on Extra hard, also without auto lock feature.

mage
Thu, 08-24-2006, 07:44 PM
You know there's a timer in the game right? Goto your menu>status and it shows time played. It also shows the cumulative stats from the whole game after you beat Omega Weiss.

zibo
Thu, 08-24-2006, 07:51 PM
12 hours just checked,

i still can't figure out how to play in extra hard,:confused:

Zinobi
Thu, 08-24-2006, 07:56 PM
zibo or mage did either of you take the time to find all 8 omega reports and all the G reports? or even the memory capsules? the model gun maybe?

zibo
Thu, 08-24-2006, 08:00 PM
I got omega reports, but thats all, I didnt bother with memory capsules since there's like 82 i think of them, and got like 1 or 2 g-reports. If you need help finding them look at gamefaqs.com

Zinobi
Thu, 08-24-2006, 08:11 PM
yeah if you get all the G reports you get the "secret" ending i guess...Omega reports...i have no clue...and memory capsules unlock videos also after you beat Weiss there are 46 extra missions you can do with more memory capsules. i think those are the extra hard stuff youre looking for zibo im not sure though im in chapter 10. been taking it slow probably beat it tomorrow or saturday

zibo
Thu, 08-24-2006, 08:15 PM
I'm going to beat it again and this time get all the reports and all the capsules.

mage
Thu, 08-24-2006, 08:36 PM
zibo or mage did either of you take the time to find all 8 omega reports and all the G reports? or even the memory capsules? the model gun maybe?
No, I don't care about any of that. I just ran through the game as fast as possible so I could advance the story. Normally I would get the extras, but this game is just too boring.

zibo
Thu, 08-24-2006, 08:43 PM
Come on it's not THAT bad, there are some flaws like most of game you fight one kind of enemy, but it does't matter as long as I get to use my gun. I think this game could use couple lift ups to make it better, but I won't complain, I get to play as my favourite character in a action-shooter-rpg kinda with cool story line and a few AC like cut scenes. I was pretty satisfied with playing this game, but as everyhting it is not perfect.

NM
Thu, 08-24-2006, 09:59 PM
There are more Omega Reports? Dammit...the only ones that I have were the ones from Shinra Manor and I think thats 4 of them. I've been exploring most of the levels throughly and I never spotted them. As for the G Reports, I only have 1 of them. Right now, I'm on the Midgar Assault mission. I think my first G Report came from the start of this mission. Hopefully the other 2 are here too unless I missed them (I'm at the elevator part, right after Vincent talks with Cloud on his cell phone). The story so far in the game is pretty sweet, I'm happy with that. Gameplay COULD have been much better, but nonetheless the gunplay in the game is decent even if it does get old really fast. But the gun customization rocks. And same for the cutscenes (<3 the one with Cloud, Tifa, and Barret :D ).

zibo
Thu, 08-24-2006, 10:58 PM
I recommend this game to anyone who likes FF7 and/or Advent Children movie.

Genma
Fri, 08-25-2006, 12:10 AM
Actually, Zibo, I'm not sure that's the greatest suggestion. A FF7 nut will either be satisfied with the gameplay and overjoyed by the cutscenes, or dissapointed as hell.

zibo
Fri, 08-25-2006, 12:45 AM
Well I like 7 the most of all FFs I played and I'm pretty satisfied, I said pretty as the game play could be more elaborate and longer. But still this game is not that bad, it could have been worse. Square made some special modifications to the game to make it more appealing to US audience and I think they made right move. Still this game has it strong and weakpoints, but over all it does make a descend game. It's worth a try. For me story line in games is important especialy in those kind of games and story line in this game is not half bad even tho it could and should (since it's FF) be better.

EDIT: ok i figured out how to start extra hard level, you need to actually load the begining of game, through Game Start -> and load the 1st icon (which is also background on main menu), Just tought you might want to know if you decide to start extra hard/

mage
Fri, 08-25-2006, 11:24 PM
Since were talking FF here, I just snagged a copy of FF7 (non greatest hits) for $30 on ebay. It usually goes for $70-100 used (with case/manual) and $150-200 sealed. I broke my Disc1 awhile back so I saw this and jumped on it. Now to find Suikoden II for under $100...

zibo
Sat, 08-26-2006, 12:40 AM
I bought FF7 for aroud $10 in my local game store, brand new and sealed with manual.

mage
Sat, 08-26-2006, 12:52 AM
Lucky you. Gamestop/EBGames, the only game store around me, sells it for 30$ used, and that's if you can actually find it in a store these days (which is near impossible).

zibo
Sat, 08-26-2006, 01:50 AM
$30 is kinda expensive for an old game. I expected ebay to have it for like $10 tops. but up to $200 that's crazy.

mage
Sat, 08-26-2006, 02:20 AM
I agree it is crazy. Final Fantasy 3 and Chrono Trigger (SNES versions) both go for 50-70 cart only and 100+ with box/manual. Suikoden 2 (PSX) usually goes for 100 disc only, 150-200 with case/manual, and 200-300 sealed. Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete (PSX) and Ogre Battle (PSX) are also some good high pricers at $70+. The newest high pricer I've found is Disgaea: Hour of Darkness (PS2), which usually goes for 100+ with case/manual. Luckily I found it for 30$ awhile back at Gamestop used.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Disgaea-Hour-Of-Darkness-Playstation-2-PS2_W0QQitemZ330021153173QQihZ014QQcategoryZ62053Q QrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Some people are just crazy, eh? A good way to make some quick cash is to find these games at a yardsale or flea market for $5 and sell them on ebay. Anyone know any other high price used games that I should be on the lookout for (besides the obvious FinalFantasys, etc)?

Arcn3ss
Sat, 08-26-2006, 08:28 PM
Anyone watch the secret ending yet? I wonder if core crisis for psp is gonna be a prequel for half and a sequel for the other have. ( Like resident evil 3 was to resident evil 2 { RE3 = 24 hours before and then 24 hours after the events of RE2})

Anyways back on track. The secret ending left it the hell open for some more, square better goddamn release a game that ties up that ending with everything. And it better be an rpg.

LaZie
Sat, 08-26-2006, 08:59 PM
Yeah I saw the secret ending as well as the end as I just beat the game a few hours ago at 10 hours game time. Did you know that G(Genesis) was not CG and played by Gackt? The Japanese band/singer who did 2 of the songs for this game.

Arcn3ss
Sat, 08-26-2006, 10:07 PM
Ya I know. But what i want to know is what they plan to do with Genesis, and if he's gonna be address in Core Crisis. He (G) wasnt talking about Weiss, tho he was holding his body, and if youve read about Genesis you know he was the proto-type sephiroth of sorts. ( experimented by the same people ( Grimoire Valentine, Hojo, Gast etc) minus the jenova, but way before Seph was born) I was watching the animeone CG movie of the secret ending, and G makes reference to his younger brother, which we can assume to be sephiroth. Then there is the whole black wing on G which was like seph's but on the opposite side. I could go for some clearification from square right about now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dirge_of_Cerberus:_Final_Fantasy_VII <--- read the Genesis part

LaZie
Sat, 08-26-2006, 10:23 PM
Yeah I've read that a while ago, but now theres an open end for a sequel. I just hope its a real RPG and not another shooter.

Also, I wonder if G is as strong or stronger than Sephiroth since he was modeled after G.

Arcn3ss
Sat, 08-26-2006, 10:37 PM
I know Core Crisis is going to be an action RPG. But I dont know if there is another game after that. Iam sick of square and there non-rpg for FF7 spin off games.

http://www.rpgamer.com/news/Q3-2005/090105b.html <--- info

This is a quote from 2005, so who knows, they may chance? probably not.

OPM: It's interesting that the Compilation of Final Fantasy VII has four projects, but none of them are traditional RPGs. Was this a conscious decision? Or did it just end up that way?

Kitase: An RPG takes so much time and so many people to create that if the team decided to make one, it would have stood out. It would have needed a lot of preparation and taken a lot of physical and emotional attachment. Instead, the idea was to make original games in the world of VII. There were never any plans to make a traditional, hardcore RPG.

Zinobi
Tue, 08-29-2006, 07:48 PM
hopefully extra hard is challenging the only boss i died against was Omega Weiss on hard >.>
i also saw the secret ending
i need to get all the memory capsules i missed i think 50 or so =P also i need one more Omega report. did anyone get the Ultima Weapon? its pretty fun...

zibo
Tue, 08-29-2006, 07:51 PM
There is around 82 capsules and few omega reports (I do not remember how many).

LaZie
Tue, 08-29-2006, 08:30 PM
I got the Ultima Weapon along with lots and lots of gil :p

Zinobi
Tue, 08-29-2006, 08:40 PM
theres 8 Omega Reports
in the Beginnings chapter did anyone sturggle with Stage Mission 3? i know i did that and fighting Omega Weiss were the only times i died

zibo
Tue, 08-29-2006, 10:39 PM
I did not have much trouble with stage mission 3, and as for omega weiss I did not die either.

BTW what kind of weapons you guys have customised. My 1st weapon was Cerebrus frame and normal barell (to make normal pistol, also I used this one the most), second was machine gun frame and short barell (to make machine gun), third had hydra frame (do not remember how it was called) and long barell and scope (to make a sniper rifle)

Zinobi
Wed, 08-30-2006, 12:07 AM
well by the games end

1. S Hydra - Fairy L Barrel - Sniper Scope - Power Booster B - Thunder Materia
2. M Cerberus Y - Fairy L Barrel - Gravity Floater (i think) - Power Booster B - Thunder Materia
3. Blast Machine Gun - Fairy L Barrel (what i really like the barrel) - Gravity Floater (i think) - Power Booster B - Thunder Materia

then i sold some stuff and re did a chapter and got Ultima Weapon ^_^

Deblas
Thu, 08-31-2006, 06:09 PM
Just finished playing the game. I got all the omega reports and got that secret ending. Meh, it was okay.

I'm going to start it again and see if I can unlock all that damn bonus features as well as get the ultima(I sold the gun as soon as I got it thinking it was a piece of crap =/). I only was able to get the M cerberus and lv.3 barrels.

btw, I'm loving Redemption.