PDA

View Full Version : Using another person's wireless

kippykinkel
Wed, 08-16-2006, 05:28 PM
so right now, im in colorado for my cousin's wedding. im using some guys wireless internet connection which was just left open(and he also didnt change the password for the router). i was wondering if it's possible that someone could be monitoring my internet activities, or doing other malicious acts, since im using some unknown guy's router.

Thi3f
Wed, 08-16-2006, 05:48 PM

Lucifus
Wed, 08-16-2006, 05:49 PM
His router will probably keep track of the sites you visit, but other than that, you should be good. I love stealing peoples net =P and Wardriving.:D

complich8
Wed, 08-16-2006, 07:50 PM
Just don't do anything evil, don't do anything to draw your attention to yourself, and you're probably fine. While it's possible that your gracious host could be monitoring your traffic, it's not likely. Particularly, anything that's really sensitive should be done via ssl, and shouldn't be eavesdroppable at all as a result.

Well, they could probably capture the DNS requests ... but that's about it.

Also, with an open wireless network, anyone else around can sniff your traffic out of the air, since it's a broadcast medium. The only way around that would be setting up a reasonably strong per-user encryption scheme (like wpa/wpa2, or an ipsec tunnel to or through the ap). So again, avoid doing anything particularly sensitive over any wireless network that doesn't implement at least wpa, unless it's over SSL or you've got a VPN going.