PDA

View Full Version : Net Neutrality

kippykinkel
Wed, 08-09-2006, 10:47 PM
I just found out about this thing called net neutrality. Basically, it's the concept that ISPs should not block certain programs, services, or websites in order to encourage their customers to use other programs, services, or websites that benefit the ISP. For example, if SBC Yahoo blocked Google so people would use Yahoo to search. Or if AOL blocked Yahoo Messenger so people would use AIM.
Some people say Congress should pass a law regulating net neutrality. Others say that Congress would not be able to regulate net neutrality and that it would end up a giant mess.
What are your thoughts about this issue?

Kirai no Tenshi
Thu, 08-10-2006, 12:48 AM
While, ideally, ISPs wouldn't do this. There is usually a clause in every Terms of Service agreement that effectively waives your right to fair treatment, if that fair treatment is not in the company's best interests.
Usually, it's worded along the lines of the company having the right to change the TOS without consultation or notice to the users. A good example is the unmetered dialup providers in the UK, who deemed people who kept 24 hour connections as being outside the bounds of acceptable use.

Ultimately, ISPs stand to lose money if they do things to restrict their customers in that way, although for every customer they'd lose, there's probably a dozen more who would be content with Yahoo search.

I don't know about in other coutnries, but in England, there are quite a few ISPs to choose from, which means that it's easier for them to lose customers to other ISPs, especially if they do something stupid.

I can't really comment on the US, but I do recall mention of a wonderful movement that filed to get congressional approval. Something about enforcing the giving of equal bandwidth to all users and not creating a rich/poor divide, with the poor on crappy bandwidth, and the rich getting high.

Genma
Thu, 08-10-2006, 06:59 PM
People actually still use SBC Yahoo and AOL? Wow... I'm shocked.

Net neutrality is something I couldn't care less about. My local provider is strictly internet and TV, and really doesn't have anything to benefit from blocking certain things. They rake in enough money as is.

Everytime I read or hear about net neutrality, though, the image of Moby running around like an idiot comes to mind. Seriously, where has this guy's career gone?

Soluzar
Fri, 08-11-2006, 01:08 PM
Ultimately, ISPs stand to lose money if they do things to restrict their customers in that way, although for every customer they'd lose, there's probably a dozen more who would be content with Yahoo search.

I don't know about in other coutnries, but in England, there are quite a few ISPs to choose from, which means that it's easier for them to lose customers to other ISPs, especially if they do something stupid.
Unless the poor customers are locked into an unbreakable 12 month contract, which most new customers are. You always pay more for a contract that doesn't lock you in. This tends to mean that they can count on maintaining a minimum number of customers no matter how badly they screw up.

Personally, I'd like to see net neutrality enshrined as a principle of law. I'm very much about making choices that aren't the same as those of the average customer, and I don't wish to be penalised for doing so. I'm certainly not about to allow my ISP to use selective traffic shaping to direct me to their preferred vendors and search providers.

Assertn
Fri, 08-11-2006, 01:36 PM
Most major online companies are already banding together against ISP control of content distribution I believe....

As long as big players like google are on our side, then I wouldn't be concerned.

Paulyboy
Fri, 08-11-2006, 01:54 PM
Most major online companies are already banding together against ISP control of content distribution I believe....

As long as big players like google are on our side, then I wouldn't be concerned.

Same here, Google is on our side, and they get alot of money ;). Does anyone also believe that Jessica Alba is really the most searched girl on Google

samsonlonghair
Sat, 08-12-2006, 02:05 PM
It's not just Google. Yahoo, Amazon, Ebay, and every other big web company is opposing this. It's just a matter of who has more money invested in congress, them or the big ISPs.

Does anyone also believe that Jessica Alba is really the most searched girl on Google
She's certainly getting a lot more traffic now than she did back when she was on Dark Angel. I've compared her to the next biggest female star I could think of. If this info (http://www.google.com/trends?q=Jessica+Alba%2C+Jessica+Rabbit) is any indication, then that may be true. (only joking)

Tekkaman Vigorot
Sun, 08-13-2006, 01:49 AM
I'm sure any big web company will give a thumbs down to the idea since it will cost them money to deal with the control. Then there is sure to be enough anti-net neutrality from the users across america to halt it. If that doesn't happen... we can always use a lottery ball to blast the enourmous amount of material in Ted Steven's tubes. *reference to the Daily Show*