PDA

View Full Version : How do you archive your anime?

kippykinkel
Thu, 08-03-2006, 04:47 PM
What methods do you use to keep all the anime that you downloaded? What methods would you prefer and are there any tips that you would like to share?

Deadfire
Thu, 08-03-2006, 04:55 PM
I store all my Anime (and Manga) by genre and by series in a external hard drive I have. I put it in there once it's complete and I wish to store it and not view it right away. All the things I'm currently watching( or reading) sits in "My Downloads" folder in some what of a organized way

bagandscalpel
Thu, 08-03-2006, 04:57 PM
Before, I had to undergo the painstaking, 14 minute process of burning every 700MB of data onto CDs;

but now, I have a divine storehouse in the form of a 300GB external harddrive!

Thank you, Seagate!

darkmetal505
Thu, 08-03-2006, 05:06 PM
I still burn CDs with about 4 episodes to each. I really need a DVD burner to conserve space and money.

DDBen
Thu, 08-03-2006, 05:06 PM
I have two hard drives one is 120 GB's the second is 200 GB's. Then I have my 80 GB portable media center where I put things I want to watch on the go. As for Anime I burn it to DVD's. Manga is usually burned to CD instead.

AndyisFrozen
Thu, 08-03-2006, 05:09 PM
i use a dvd burner :D w/ a standard 4.7gig disc, if its 170-180mb files i can fit around 30 episodes each disc, and if its like 200mb+ than less xD! oh well still good. save lots and lots of HD Space but oh well i only have an 120gb

i also have a laptop with 100gb so does that count too ? :P

IFHTT
Thu, 08-03-2006, 05:17 PM
I burn a series or episodes onto dvds. Dvd's then go into storage for safe keeping, I also keep the majority of the anime on my hdds, 2x250gb, as well for easy access. I only keep the anime that I think I will watch or use for screen caps at some point.

Ryllharu
Thu, 08-03-2006, 05:18 PM
I have about 200 gigs of space solely for keeping the anime on my hard drives, but eventually, even those fill up. After a series has sat completed on my hard drives for a while (a little over a year), I burn them to DVDs. I'd like to use dual-layer, but they're just not economical. A spindel of 50 DVD+Rs on sale at Staples for $19.95 are hard to beat.

DVDs are permanent (for the most part) and clear up space in the most external way possible. If you want to watch the series again, just copy them back to the HD.

Ideally, what I would want is a Removable HD rack. Then you can have huge amounts of anime in a swappable set of 250 gig drives. Label them by year...*drools*

kooshi
Thu, 08-03-2006, 05:26 PM
DVD-Rs are the way to go for me. I don't download much anime, so I haven't bought a new spindle of DVDs for a very LONG time now.

xDarkMaster
Thu, 08-03-2006, 05:27 PM
Currently I am keeping everything on my 300 GB hard drive. However, soon I will get a new DVD burner and archive them all on DVDs to clear up some space.

RyougaZell
Thu, 08-03-2006, 05:32 PM
Since I have over 300 gigs of anime, and only a 120 gig hdd I burn them on DVD.

complich8
Thu, 08-03-2006, 05:40 PM
1.1TB Fileserver. Delete things that I can't realistically see myself ever watching again.

Used to burn cds, but that got old after 3 binders or so worth. If I'm going to collect anime for the long-term, it's going to be commercial dvds, in boxsets, preferably at fairly heavy discounts.

Board of Command
Thu, 08-03-2006, 05:56 PM
I store good series on DVDs, if they fit that is. If they don't, too bad. I wish Shinsen would encoded smaller versions of Ergo Proxy :(

Everything else gets the instant Shift+Delete+Enter

Kraco
Thu, 08-03-2006, 06:01 PM
DVDRs. I have 120 GBs of space of my second HD reserved for anime, but I prefer to keep it at most 50% filled (and so I never need to defrag it). And partly because of that I burn series right when they are finished, or half finished (like 13 and 13 episodes of a 26 episodes series). So, I don't actually archive any series on HD at all. They are all just waiting for to be burned.

And of course I have some movies and series as commercial DVDs.

mage
Thu, 08-03-2006, 06:09 PM
I have a 250gb and store incomplete series/ones im watching on my HD and burn the rest on dvds.

Lucifus
Thu, 08-03-2006, 08:15 PM
I have now killed 3 harddrives.........somehow.....

I've only got one 250 GB HD left. I don't really keep my anime.....on the count that I can dl the entire series overnight and that it would cost a pretty penny to store em all. I keep like all the eps of the current anime I'm watching, and archive like One Piece but thats it. :cool:

seanos
Fri, 08-04-2006, 02:41 PM
1.7TB fileserver, every so often delete stuff never bothered watching/not interested in.

Church
Fri, 08-04-2006, 04:22 PM
Well, I have a bout 150 gig on my computer just for anime stuff, and if it does run out (which happens often since I'm too lazy) I panic and either delete everything I know I won't need/watch or burn the ones I might want to keep/re-watch later, everything else stays in the hard drive.

Goingin
Sun, 08-06-2006, 02:53 PM
Dedicated 250 and 300 GB HDD for storage
Until theyre both full i'm not backing up on DVD's

Alter_Ego
Tue, 08-08-2006, 01:23 AM
Right now all my anime is stored on my 300GB HD but its starting to fill up fast so I think Im gonna go with DVD's or an external HD

dragonrage
Tue, 08-08-2006, 01:56 AM
I just recently started archiving by both Dvd's and HDD, I use to depend on my HDDs. I have

1 x 160gb,

1 x 300 gb, (external)

1 x 30 gb (external case)

1 x 80 gb.(external case)

I had another 160 gb but that one died recently sad to say, it didn't see that much use, infact it was a newer one.And was not used for anything, only because i didn't have an external case for it. But when i finally got one for it. The freaking thing died, my first hdd ever to die. But it did teach me how important it is to have Dvd back ups. So I burn all completed series and the ones that are incomplete or i watch often i keep, but i back up them. I hope you all learn the importance of backing up too.

Terracosmo
Tue, 08-08-2006, 02:04 AM
Back when I was even more lifeless than I am now and watched anime in the same sick amounts as you guys, I used to burn on 700 mb CDs. I have 2 big black cases shockfull of anime of which I haven't even watched half.

Now I have a total of around 300 gigs of space divided on 3 harddrives, and they will never fill up because I only watch Naruto now. Other than Naruto I store a lot of Gundam and other shorter series I like too much to delete (Berserk, Basilisk and more) so the anime still amount to 100+ gigs but hey.

Also, lmao at the last poll alternative. That is soooo Budweineken.

kAi
Tue, 08-08-2006, 02:33 AM
Well, my anime and manga usually stay on the HDD, two HDDs with 200GB of space, until that is close to full and then I burn it to DVD.

YaGaMi
Fri, 07-13-2007, 10:35 PM
When I originally started archiving anime there were no DVD Burners around at affordable prices so all my anime were on CDs. When I did finally get a DVD Burner I compiled most my older series along with the new stuff on to DVDs. Now I've also got a 320GB External HD where I temporarily keep ongoing series until there is enough episodes to burn to DVD along with extra back up copies of all my favourite series' because when I lend out my anime to friends more times than not the discs come back damaged.

David75
Sat, 07-14-2007, 02:51 AM
250GB internal drive
300GB external
The both of them are to their limits, but I do not have only anime...
Wedding is there, uncompressed shots.
Some TV shows

And I'll have to motivate myself to change my internal drive, as it is becoming weak... I fear the failure that will erase most of it... almost happened once...

I have many empty DVDRs, but I do not use them... not motivated.

I think I'll also have to erase some anime series I didn't even watch the first ep till the end (gungrave, and some other ultraviolent series that really are not my type)

c u

Lucifus
Sat, 07-14-2007, 02:52 AM
YaGaMi, you should totally get your name changed to Necromancer. Seriously, how many dead threads have you revived so far?:rolleyes:

Xrlderek
Sat, 07-14-2007, 04:32 AM
200GB internal, 1TB external. Got an exchange site to buy it for me with gold :)

YaGaMi
Sat, 07-14-2007, 08:07 AM
YaGaMi, you should totally get your name changed to Necromancer. Seriously, how many dead threads have you revived so far?:rolleyes:

:D I've been browsing through the forums reading old threads. Alot of these threads I've never replied in the past because I was too lazy to log in. Anyways all the threads on the first few pages are just topics on anime series. So I'm making conversation. There may be more topics coming up soon that people are are interested in. ;)

ktchris69
Sat, 07-14-2007, 12:22 PM
DVD it is, at least the ones i deem worthy of keeping

Ziggy
Sat, 07-14-2007, 03:59 PM
I save them on HDD's because I'm too lazy to burn them on DVD.

I got 2x160gb internal but they reached their limits last week, so i bought a 500gb external HDD.

Bread-sama
Sat, 07-14-2007, 04:04 PM
I don't archive anything, except the DBZ DVD version I get from a non-english group :)

Y
Sat, 07-14-2007, 04:06 PM
I delete the files and buy the actual DVD releases.

Psyke
Sun, 07-15-2007, 07:03 AM
I'd burn them to DVDs, keep them some where and never see them again.

el_boss
Sun, 07-15-2007, 08:13 AM
I watch it, then I delete it. I'll just download it again if I ever would get the urge to rewatch a show. Which is very unlikely.

Sandldan
Tue, 07-17-2007, 12:12 PM
Currently have around 500gb of hard drive storage, recently added 300 more so guess i'll be fine for a little while atleast.
Some series gets deleted instantly after i've watched them and i just leave some to be dealt with later. I always had to start deleting something when i wanted to download something new and now in the end only the ones i didnt want to delete remains... so i had to buy a new HD.
But many series also gets archived on DVD's, many because of my lazy friends that rather burn them from me than download it themselves.

shinta|hikari
Wed, 07-18-2007, 10:22 PM
I dont archive. I just leave it there, and when my HD gets full, just delete some of it. I never rewatch anime anyway, and if my friends actually want to see it, I just download it again. It would also be quite inconvenient to archive everything Ive watched, since I cant keep count of it anymore, and its just too much of a pain remembering the good ones.