PDA

View Full Version : Book: Suzumiya Haruhi

Darknodin
Tue, 08-01-2006, 10:16 PM
Well... this is the thread to discuss the novel versions of the Haruhi story which can be found here (http://project.baka-tsuki.net/index.php?title=Suzumiya_Haruhi)!

if anyone hasn't seen the show... Do so now! I found a lot of things way more interesting because they were shrouded in a mystery that was not present in the novels. on the other hand, the novels follow another weird dis-chronological way of storytelling, so it might end up the same. In the end, I think both are great

the show is discussed here (http://forums.gotwoot.net/showthread.php?p=305502#post305502).

Honoko
Wed, 08-02-2006, 04:36 PM
I'm in the middle of book 2 right now.... and honestly, when it's not animated, I actually have a hard time liking Suzumiya as a character. I'm sure all the abuse Asahina goes through would translate in a really comical way on screen but damn, there's a limit to idiocy. And the intro to Shamisen was definitely great.

I was thinking though... everyone keeps emphasizing that Kyon's a normal guy-- but to me it doesn't seem that way. Didn't he express interest in wanting to see aliens and espers or whatever when he was a kid? I can't think of other examples offhand, but the way he words things as the narrator, sometimes I feel like he's actually the "god" in the book and Haruhi is supposed to be his instrument, if you will. He just doesn't have much control over it :p He is, after all, the catalyst for Suzumiya to start her crazy club.

kooshi
Wed, 08-02-2006, 10:59 PM
I can see what you mean about Suzumiya's character in the novels. Regardless, she's my 2nd favorite character (tied with Nagato and 1st for Kyon) as my imagination on how the story would look like animated is good enough for me.

Kyon being a god with Suzumiya being the uncontrollable instrument? That's a really interesting observation and I think that's a good possibility.
Based on the bamboo chapter in volume 3 (STOP RIGHT HERE if you haven't read it yet), Kyon met Suzumiya at the three-years-ago mark. Since Nagato, Koizumi, and Asahina's teams stated that something happened at that time, maybe Kyon was the one they were supposed to observe, rather than Suzumiya.

Church
Wed, 08-02-2006, 11:48 PM
Well, it certainly is a possibility, but I don't think the sensible Kyon would really want eye contacts that shoot rifle bullets and what's the point of a talking cat?
Maybe they're both gods?

I'm waiting for "The Dissappearance of Suzumiya Haruhi" to finish, I think that's going to answer, and probably raise, a lot of questions.

Honoko
Thu, 08-03-2006, 09:23 AM
I can see what you mean about Suzumiya's character in the novels. Regardless, she's my 2nd favorite character (tied with Nagato and 1st for Kyon) as my imagination on how the story would look like animated is good enough for me.

Kyon being a god with Suzumiya being the uncontrollable instrument? That's a really interesting observation and I think that's a good possibility.
Based on the bamboo chapter in volume 3 (STOP RIGHT HERE if you haven't read it yet), Kyon met Suzumiya at the three-years-ago mark. Since Nagato, Koizumi, and Asahina's teams stated that something happened at that time, maybe Kyon was the one they were supposed to observe, rather than Suzumiya.
Aaaahhh!! I just read the bamboo chapter... it was more dizzying than Harry Potter's adventure with Buckbeak. Freaking hilarious too. The true perpetrator of the chalk drawings at Haruhi's middle school was finally revealed!

As for the Kyon being a kind of god, another factor that led me to this idea was when Koizumi was talking about how Suzumiya couldn't really qualify as a real "creator" because she had no awareness of how her random desires had any effect in the world. Whereas Kyon did. Granted, the other three can also be aware and point things out to Kyon too but since Kyon's the only one who can actually have a bare minimum conversation with Haruhi, that's one step closer to deity status than the others ;)

kooshi
Sun, 08-06-2006, 08:54 PM
Has anyone read chapter 1 of volume 4 yet? If not, don't read the post.

Holy damn, what the freak is happening?! Haruhi and Koizumi disappeared, Asakura has reappeared, and Asahina and Nagato don't know who Kyon is. Gah, why is only one chapter translated =( I hope that they can get the 2nd chapter out soon, haha. I just can't wait to see what happens.
But damn, Nagato blushing and holding her face like a shy girl!! Now THAT is something everybody HAS to see. It's just another really big reason to make another season.
Nagato's picture *SPOILERS* (http://project.baka-tsuki.net/images/thumb/6/67/Sh_v04_illust05.jpg/800px-Sh_v04_illust05.jpg)

Even seeing this picture, I just can't imagine her doing this! I wonder how it'll look in the anime.

Stoopider
Fri, 08-25-2006, 08:31 AM
Novel version? So there's really no manga out there?

kooshi
Fri, 08-25-2006, 11:52 AM
There are manga adaptations on the novels, although I don't know where you would find them.